PDA

View Full Version : Uses for Bagged Grass

Mahoney3223
01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
With all the rage being "green" these days, what do you guys do with your bagged grass BESIDES dropping it off at the dump. I used to bag a ton of grass but I went "green" and only side discharge now. I just found no use in bagging lawns and I had to dump my trucks every night and the cost was too much. Anyone have any innovative uses? Anyone compost it and make their own mulch? Do tell. :dancing:

weeze
01-10-2013, 12:03 AM
never bag. always side discharge. use G6 blades it's the same as mulching pretty much.

Mahoney3223
01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Yep, that's what I do now. I still have my Walkers, but they only come out for accounts that are paying extra for bagging or clean ups. Same with z baggers. Saves trailer space. And I was AMAZED at how much $$ I saved over bagging because most clients don't even know if you bag unless they micro manage.

orangemower
01-10-2013, 07:09 AM
With all the rage being "green" these days, what do you guys do with your bagged grass BESIDES dropping it off at the dump. I used to bag a ton of grass but I went "green" and only side discharge now. I just found no use in bagging lawns and I had to dump my trucks every night and the cost was too much. Anyone have any innovative uses? Anyone compost it and make their own mulch? Do tell. :dancing:

It wouldn't be mulch if it's composted. It turns to a rich top soil type dirt. Great for gardens or flowerbeds. You won't be turning grass clippings into mulch anytime soon. I save a given amount then once I have a season's worth, I load it up and dump it at a friends place that does a huge garden each year.

KrayzKajun
01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Once i move into a bigger shop and im not sharing yard space, i plan to start a compost pile for grass clippings, leaves, pine needles etc....
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Once i move into a bigger shop and im not sharing yard space, i plan to start a compost pile for grass clippings, leaves, pine needles etc....
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats pretty much what I am doing now. I have one pile that is mostly leaves and any other organics, then I have a pile that gets burned periodically, and then I have a pine needle pile. Pine needles don't break down very fast so I keep them separate. I have a guy that comes and picks up as many pine needles as I have, as soon as he quits I am going to start figuring out a way to sell them as mulch.
Mike

Moose's Mowing
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
you could buy one of those pellet mill machines and make pellets for stoves......prob a lot of work tho for not much return.

Darryl G
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Actually you certainly can use grass clipping as a mulch, but as-is, not composted...that's what we use as a mulch in our vegetable garden to control weeds.

LandFakers
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I dump all my leaves and grass in my backyard and get some nice dirt every spring. Composting is the way to go

ed2hess
01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't know about this idea of hauling grass around to make compost there is more to it then just dump it on a pile. You gatta add fertilize, water, turn it. What does a yard of good mulch cost? $15:hammerhead: P ut a plate on the outlet of your mowers and leave the dust on the lawn and if they complain knock off a couple dollars.

Darryl G
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
I don't water or add fertilizer or anything to my compost. The stuff that I collect that I know is from natural lawns along with ground up leaves goes in my compost pile for our organic veggie garden. I really don't bag much grass though and most of what I do bag gets disposed of onsite. I do have a front-end loader to turn it with though, which helps a lot. I run 3 piles. One pile is always accumulating, one pile is composting and one is finished. I stop accumulating at the beginning of fall cleanup season, move it to the finishing area and by spring it's ready to use. Of course the accumulating pile is composting the whole time it's accumulating too, but at some point you have to stop adding to it.

Groomer
01-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I haven't bagged grass clippings since before half of you even knew what a mower was. LOL Seriously, been over 15+ yrs. since I've had to smell the rankness of clipping's that didn't "make it to the dump site". Shewee, no fun, especially with a hangover. (been watching too much moonshiners.)

Darryl G
01-11-2013, 08:15 AM
I sometimes bag just to get grass clippings, lol. I have a friend who I collect them for too and drop them off at her house for use in her veggie garden.

orangemower
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Actually you certainly can use grass clipping as a mulch, but as-is, not composted...that's what we use as a mulch in our vegetable garden to control weeds.

That's correct. He had mentioned turning it into compost and using it as mulch. Grass clippings make a good layer to stop weeds. Just make sure the grass doesn't already have weeds in it. LOL

Darryl G
01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, what I do is spread it out when I dump it so that it dries out and is more like hay rather than leave it in a pile and have it ferment.

Landscraper1
01-11-2013, 10:04 AM
We do alot of bagging. Lawn looks much more manicured and by bagging your not spreading weeds into lawn.

Money is to be made with the waste if you have the room for it. We used to compost, screen, and sell the end result to the customer. Now, the company has grown and we just don't have the room for it.

Every winter a excavation company comes in and trucks all the year's compost away to make more room for the next year. This way we always have the convenience of dumping at my shop every day. We still make money by charging customers $10 a yard for the disposal of their leaves or any other waste. other than grass clippings.

Mahoney3223
01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
My question I suppose is, what is entailed in making your own mulch. I know another company that takes all their clippings, yard waste and turns it into mulch. Obviously, I would need to have some wood in there.

fireman gus
01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
We catch about 50% of our yards. At the end of the day I take it to our farm and let the cattle and goats have it.

ashgrove landscaping
01-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Uses for bagged grass .......hmmmmm ....the dollar signs