PDA

View Full Version : Pavers in Concrete?

BFuller
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Yesterday I had a commercial builder I work for request my opinion on the idea of setting pavers in concrete to "discourage theft." That's a new one for me.

I recommended that if he's that concerned with someone stealing the pavers that he should just pour stamped concrete in a paver pattern. I told him that pavers need to be on a proper compacted base/sand bed to perform properly.

I hate to steer a customer away from work that I do but, to me, that's the best alternative in this case.

Any thoughts? Was my advice sound?

knox gsl
01-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Who would steal them?
Posted via Mobile Device

BFuller
01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Good question. This is a commercial site in a newly developed area along a fairly busy highway. It's a service station/food outlet with plenty of foot traffic, too.

My main question was has anyone ever heard of pavers set on a bed of concrete. I just don't see it performing properly.

TomG
01-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Just use poly sand. I kill my self every time I have to go to a house and replace one or two pavers, they are damn near impossible to get out if poly sanded correctly.

DVS Hardscaper
01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Your customer is a psycho lunatic. Pavers are WORK. And take effort to move. No one will ever go to the effort to steal them . Thieves do not like to work. That's why they're thieves.

Posted via Mobile Device

BFuller
01-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey DVS,

I love your direct approach! Seriously! Although, one time, many moos ago, when I was employed by a landscaper where I did my apprenticeship in the late 1980's, we did this fairly large sod job. Part of it was a 200 ft. long boulevard by about 15 feet wide. After laying the sod I went back to check the job late the next day and some idiots took EVERY piece of sod and laid it over, roots up!

I didn't know whether to be pissed off or impressed! At least they weren't lazy, i guess. At least it was a decent bit of overtime for myself and another guy to fix it. Luckily it hadn't gotten that hot during the day and the turf was fine.

I should start a thread dedicated to stuff like that. I love sharing/hearing "war" stories from the plant landscaper!

Cheers! :canadaflag:

clipfert
01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Are the pavers made of copper??:dizzy:

DVS Hardscaper
01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Are the pavers made of copper??:dizzy:

:clapping: Where's the LIKE button, that made me chuckle out loud!! :clapping: