PDA

View Full Version : What was your average price for mowing last year?

skorum03
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
I am just wondering what everyones average price for mowing was last year, commercial and/or residential. Just curious

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Executive Lawn Care
01-12-2013, 07:26 PM
The average for me was 35.00$ per lawn. I am a small business however.

Darryl G
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I do all residential with the exception of a factory lot that's at $70. My residentials average around $55/cut with a $40 minimum, which I make and exception for on two accounts, a $25 and a $30.

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
$40 minimum...$50 average

skorum03
01-12-2013, 07:36 PM
For those of you who are saying your minimum is $40. About how big of a lawn is that? How long does it take to get done?

TeamYardsale4
01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Avg was $41, lowest price was cause the lawn was literally 4 passes with my 21" mower and maybe 1 minute of trimming and right next to another lawn so it's almost a free $20. My biggest lawn is $85.

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
For those of you who are saying your minimum is $40. About how big of a lawn is that? How long does it take to get done?

I've only have a few at that price, but I'd say about 5k sq ft, or can be finished in 15-20 min.

Uranus
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
$54.00 average

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Avg $64.36.

Snapper Jack
01-12-2013, 09:50 PM
$40 minimum with highest at $105

knox gsl
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Avg. $47.31
Posted via Mobile Device

kandalawncaremgr
01-12-2013, 09:59 PM
25 most of mine. Had two bigger yards at 75. I tried 30 dollars but people turned me down. Chicago burbs here

skorum03
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow people turned you down over 5 bucks, tough market. I'm guessing its ultra competitive down there

kandalawncaremgr
01-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Yea its cut throat around here. Most of the seniors had no problem paying the 30 but I give a senior discount. But all these middle aged people. Hell I was to the point I felt like I was on lets make a deal.

weeze
01-12-2013, 10:17 PM
i have from $30 - $125 yards.

skorum03
01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Yea its cut throat around here. Most of the seniors had no problem paying the 30 but I give a senior discount. But all these middle aged people. Hell I was to the point I felt like I was on lets make a deal.

yeah thats tough man. Times are tough that makes a difference too. an extra $5 in peoples pocket makes a difference once in a while

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

kandalawncaremgr
01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Yea, I'm gonna try to do a lil commercial this year. Only my second year but have a good customer base, hoping to add more this year.

skorum03
01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Im in the exact same position. Commercial work is pretty competitive around here too.

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

orangemower
01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
All the lawns combined, I average about $74.

MSeals
01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
My minimum is usually $45, sometimes if I have an elderly neighbor next to an existing customer I'd cut them a break. Average price is $55 which is competitive with most. I have 2 year round weekly accts one at $125 and the other at $150 that are the highest. Those are with 2 pinestraw applications and 2 hedge trimmings per year factored in. (also extremely loyal customers)
Posted via Mobile Device

Southscapes03
01-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Sounds like im all over the board with my prices. I have some residentials that i do for $125/mth minimal and I have a commercial account that is $2300/mth!. I mostly do yearly accounts with a few per time customers through the summer with 90% being residential customers. The 2 that are 125/mth are 2 houses side by side owned by the same customer and the 2300/mth is a 22 acre cemetery that I have been doing for 3yrs now.

So for me to give an average, it would be highly skewed because of the commercial accounts that I have. But on residentials, my lowest is 125 and my highest is 465.

Hope this helps a little

MOturkey
01-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Mine came out to around $50 average, on a per cut basis. Lowest price is $20, highest is $150.

skorum03
01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Sounds like im all over the board with my prices. I have some residentials that i do for $125/mth minimal and I have a commercial account that is $2300/mth!. I mostly do yearly accounts with a few per time customers through the summer with 90% being residential customers. The 2 that are 125/mth are 2 houses side by side owned by the same customer and the 2300/mth is a 22 acre cemetery that I have been doing for 3yrs now.

So for me to give an average, it would be highly skewed because of the commercial accounts that I have. But on residentials, my lowest is 125 and my highest is 465.

Hope this helps a little

So basically you are saying that you have some seriously high end residential customers, or are they just big yards?

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

jrs.landscaping
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
So basically you are saying that you have some seriously high end residential customers, or are they just big yards?

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

I think he's saying their $125 per month, not per cut. @ Southscapes, how many man hours do you have into that 22 acre cemetary?

skorum03
01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
oh yeah youre probably right. Still that seems like really solid money to me as I am new to the lawn care community as of last year.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Southscapes03
01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
I think he's saying their $125 per month, not per cut. @ Southscapes, how many man hours do you have into that 22 acre cemetary?

Yes my lowest is $125 and highest is $465 per month on the residential side of my business so i have a range of just regular yards to some serious high end lake homes. As for the 22 acre cemetery, to my surprise and the owners surprise, on a dry day I can cut it and trim and edge the roads and be out in 6 hours, with me on the Mower and one guy on the trimmer! Serious money making property.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
01-13-2013, 05:12 PM
$35 minimum, $40 average, high $105. All of these are per cut not monthly :laugh:

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-13-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure how often you cut it or how many months out of the year they get billed but 12 man hrs 4 times a month at $2300 is decent but I wouldn't say CRAZY good. Maybe I missed something.....

skorum03
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure how often you cut it or how many months out of the year they get billed but 12 man hrs 4 times a month at $2300 is decent but I wouldn't say CRAZY good. Maybe I missed something.....

Yeah maybe Im missing something too, but if he has only 12 man hours 4 times, then thats only 48 man hours total. So say he's paying someone $15/hr, which would be real high, that is $720, plus take an usually large amount of fuel costs out of that plus wear and tear on the machines, and figure he's spending $1000 but taking in $2300, keeping $1300, Im a small operation but I would say that is pretty solid, but at the same time i don't know what his costs are so I just took a shot in the dark. haha just my uneducated guess

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Southscapes03
01-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah maybe Im missing something too, but if he has only 12 man hours 4 times, then thats only 48 man hours total. So say he's paying someone $15/hr, which would be real high, that is $720, plus take an usually large amount of fuel costs out of that plus wear and tear on the machines, and figure he's spending $1000 but taking in $2300, keeping $1300, Im a small operation but I would say that is pretty solid, but at the same time i don't know what his costs are so I just took a shot in the dark. haha just my uneducated guess

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Its mostly common Bermuda so its only gets cut a max of 8 months out of the year and leaves are very light and easy out there, so you do the math! Whether or not some of you may think its good money or not, I'm as happy as a clam! Its eased some weight off of my shoulders when the bills come in.
Posted via Mobile Device

skorum03
01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Yeah that would take some weight off of my shoulders too as it is guaranteed money every month. Banks seem to like seeing that too haha

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Ok..........you'll see in time.

skorum03
01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
or you could just explain now.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
No need to get all jumpy .....I was simply saying that $47.92 / man hr was ok but not awesome. Now I don't know his billing plan and all, so he probably does better in the off months.

jrs.landscaping
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I think it's impressive to mow 22 acres in 12 man hours, let alone a cemetary. We have a nine acre cemetary that takes us right around 14 MH to do. I think $2300 for work like that is decent money.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Ya, that's moving right along no doubt....with only one guy on a mower?? Chris, that 2300 is monthly.

jrs.landscaping
01-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Ya, that's moving right along no doubt....with only one guy on a mower?? Chris, that 2300 is monthly.

You have to remember that this is probably municipal work. $47.00 PMH is pretty good money for municipal bidding especially in this economy, I try to to be @ $50+ PMH. It might be less than doing residential, but you are most likely guarenteed work for a set timeframe, the money is guarenteed and you rarely deal with PITA customers. It's a tradeoff really, work where you can go in and blow it out without having to talk to anyone or waste time, or have more resi's where you can make more money but the customers can waste your time telling their life story or how you didn't edge their flower bed "the way they want it."

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Okay, that makes sense. I've bid quite a few town properties over time and only a few that actually worked out. Most of the time they go for chump change - it's hard to believe. Around rural areas like this, if you can rub elbows and get in with town officials it goes far.

Jason

jrs.landscaping
01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
It's like estimating resi accounts, the areas with more money will most likely care more about the quality of the contractor and pay higher prices. Like you said knowing people helps no matter what type of contract you are looking to get Thumbs Up

Southscapes03
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
You have to remember that this is probably municipal work. $47.00 PMH is pretty good money for municipal bidding especially in this economy, I try to to be @ $50+ PMH. It might be less than doing residential, but you are most likely guarenteed work for a set timeframe, the money is guarenteed and you rarely deal with PITA customers. It's a tradeoff really, work where you can go in and blow it out without having to talk to anyone or waste time, or have more resi's where you can make more money but the customers can waste your time telling their life story or how you didn't edge their flower bed "the way they want it."
Lucky its not municipal work...its a family owned cemetery that the owners son cut it for 12 years and finally bid it out. Its a 12 month contract, so you all are doing the math during the growing season and you have to add back in the months that i ride through and just look at it on my way to the office and pick up my check. Now it is mostly flat stones which makes my mowing easier as you can straddle allot of them and just keep on going, but i stripe everything that I do so those 6 hours actually look good too
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
How many stones? The flat ones are easier until they settle and become harder to edge.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
you have to add back in the months that i ride through and just look at it on my way to the office and pick up my check.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I guessed - NOW we're talkin!! :cool2:

orangemower
01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
oh yeah youre probably right. Still that seems like really solid money to me as I am new to the lawn care community as of last year.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. In other words, don't let the "size" of the money impair your judgement on bidding job correctly. You think it's to good to be true that you can make a lot of money on a given job so you wind up bidding it too low. Basically I'm saying, don't leave money on the table. Don't expect to get every bid you place. If you do, you're pricing them too low.

skorum03
01-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. In other words, don't let the "size" of the money impair your judgement on bidding job correctly. You think it's to good to be true that you can make a lot of money on a given job so you wind up bidding it too low. Basically I'm saying, don't leave money on the table. Don't expect to get every bid you place. If you do, you're pricing them too low.

Yeah that makes sense. Today I am going to look at like 7 smaller residential properties in St. Paul and I'm seriously doubting any of these places will have much of a yard. Some of them may only take 5 minutes to do. How do I bid on something like that. Its a little bit of a drive for me to get to the places that I have to mow, but they are all within about a mile of each other so I could zip through them pretty fast. But since it is a longer drive is it worth it for me to bid a little higher and say, if I get it great, if not, I can get more work thats worth more money closer to home?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Giovanni Giacomucci
01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
$39.00 without fuel cost

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. .

Thank you!!! My point exactly.

205mx
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Average is $68

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Yeah that makes sense. Today I am going to look at like 7 smaller residential properties in St. Paul and I'm seriously doubting any of these places will have much of a yard. Some of them may only take 5 minutes to do. How do I bid on something like that. Its a little bit of a drive for me to get to the places that I have to mow, but they are all within about a mile of each other so I could zip through them pretty fast. But since it is a longer drive is it worth it for me to bid a little higher and say, if I get it great, if not, I can get more work thats worth more money closer to home?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Gotta build the travel time into the prices. However, when I was first starting out I pretty much ignored travel time, willing to work anywhere I could and hope that I'd pick up other accounts from friends/neighbors in the immediate area. I'll still take an account a bit off the beaten path and might even give them a really attractive price, if and only if I think it's an exceptional opportunity to get a foothold in a desirable location. I consider it a marketing expense, although it's technically not.

Southscapes03
01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
How many stones? The flat ones are easier until they settle and become harder to edge.

Dude, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many stones:), but it grows every week it seems!!!! This is one of the only field without any stones on it on the property, but the rest of the property is striped just the same.

jrs.landscaping
01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
^^^ Looks good Thumbs Up

T Scapes
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
35 minimum most are around 40-45 highest residential is 85 and highest commercial was 140

herler
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Twenty seven dollars and thirty four cents, plus tax.

jeff_0
01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
I have a $45 minimal and average is around $70.

skorum03
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Being new, I've kinda noticed that alot of guys are saying that their minimum price is right around $40. Is that even for something that would be like 10 minutes worth of work, mow, trim, clean up, load trailer and leave? Does travel time factor into your minimum? Like if someone down the street had a tiny little yard would you still charge them the $40? Or would you maybe give them a break since its so close and say its $25?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

LandFakers
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Being new, I've kinda noticed that alot of guys are saying that their minimum price is right around $40. Is that even for something that would be like 10 minutes worth of work, mow, trim, clean up, load trailer and leave? Does travel time factor into your minimum? Like if someone down the street had a tiny little yard would you still charge them the $40? Or would you maybe give them a break since its so close and say its $25?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
I do two yards on my own street, and I do both for $30. If I am leaving the neighborhood, I wont drop the gate for less than 35, no matter how small really.

orangemower
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

You would want to give them a price to mainly cover the time there to service the property if you're already in the same neighborhood. It can take a few months to establish a minimum price if you're just starting out, but yeah, cut the ones you get closer a break. If you get one customer on a block, you could let them know that if they can convince their neighbor's to have you service them as well, you'll give them all a discounted price as a group.

One thing you could do is write down what it would take to service 5 places on one street. Then do the same where the 5 places are spread out a few miles. You'll start to see that it takes more money to go farther (for obvious reasons) to service the ones farther away then the ones all together. I did this as part of my business plan years ago so I could learn how to bid jobs off the beating path and still make out good. Their called scenario's or examples of the "what if's" in the business.

herler
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Hey man, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to price your work or anything at all but sometimes I'll give a new guy a break so I will tell you I have learned to take what is posted on this site with a grain of salt... Even then I have trouble swallowing some of the claims but it is what it is, you just have to make up your own mind, what to do, you know, if you listen to too much you could trip yourself up listening to these guys, just price it the way you've been doing and don't pay it too much mind, not saying this is the case here but some of these threads are probably best seen for their entertainment value.

Peace out man

lawnkingforever
01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Rates vary greatly depending on what part of the country you live in, they can even vary depending on what part of a metro area you reside. You should talk some fellow lcos in your area. I won't drop my gate for $100 and $15 dollar a minute garbage is useless to you. Figure out your overhead and learn your local area. If you start getting every job you bid on, you probably are too low though.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Hey man, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or how to price your work or anything at all but sometimes I'll give a new guy a break so I will tell you I have learned to take what is posted on this site with a grain of salt... Even then I have trouble swallowing some of the claims but it is what it is, you just have to make up your own mind, what to do, you know, if you listen to too much you could trip yourself up listening to these guys, just price it the way you've been doing and don't pay it too much mind, not saying this is the case here but some of these threads are probably best seen for their entertainment value.

Peace out man

That was real helpful! :hammerhead:

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-17-2013, 06:36 PM
That was real helpful! :hammerhead:

hahaha......:laugh:

Darryl G
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
There are many reasons to set a minimum. One that's often overlooked is just the administrative time to manage a customer relationship....communication, invoicing, collection, bookkeeping etc. Generally speaking that's the same whether it be a 1,000 square foot or a 2 acre lawn. Then there's of course the travel time, the time to unload/reload 3 or 4 pieces of equipment. There's a certain minimum level of effort required to mow any lawn. Now if you've got one that's next to another at the same stop, that's where you can start knocking off a little bit. But what if you lose the one next door? Then what? Like I said, my minimum is $40 but I do make rare exceptions...currently two, a $25 that's no more than 1,000 sq feet that's the same stop as two others and a cottage grassy parking area that's is owned by one of those two others about a mile up the road that I bill $30 for. I had more to say, but pizza is ready so figure the rest out yourself, lol.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Darryl....great point about the administrative costs!! Often overlooked.....

Jason

herler
01-18-2013, 02:34 AM
There do exist many a cost that do not change, regardless of yard size.

The time it takes from when the truck pulls up until the lawn mower is on the turf.
The time it takes to put the mower back on the trailer.
The time it takes, to pull and start the trimmer, then to shut it back down and put it back.
One more time for the blower.
And to load everything back up.

None of those times above change, no matter what, it takes just as long.

I have done yards so small I literally spent more time just swapping around than doing actual work.
Still it took dang nearly 20 minutes, no matter what.

And yeah, then there's scheduling / deposit / maintenance / etc.

These costs, for the most part, is what my minimum consists of.
It's not to be a wise guy, it's to cover that.

skorum03
01-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Do you guys figure your hourly rate by looking at total drive to and from the property? Or just time spent mowing, trimming, etc....?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-18-2013, 08:55 AM
If you have a longer drive time, you really need to focus on getting more clients in that area. Not just hope for word of mouth for a year or two - I mean really advertise, talk to neighbors, give good referral credits etc. Two lawns at one stop is great - three is awesome. Like it was mentioned, this will reduce load/unload times etc.

Jason

Darryl G
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Where you work and how much you charge depends a lot on your situation. It's totally different for someone just starting out than it is for someone who has been doing this for a while and has a full schedule. If you have a lot of holes in your schedule you're almost certainly better off driving to where you can find work and pricing more aggressively, assuming you are charging enough to cover your costs. Just getting out there and working can open up a lot of opportunities as well as building your level of experience.

orangemower
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Where you work and how much you charge depends a lot on your situation. It's totally different for someone just starting out than it is for someone who has been doing this for a while and has a full schedule. If you have a lot of holes in your schedule you're almost certainly better off driving to where you can find work and pricing more aggressively, assuming you are charging enough to cover your costs. Just getting out there and working can open up a lot of opportunities as well as building your level of experience.
Great advice Darryl. I had to do just that. Heck, my first year I was driving over 60 miles in a day to service the properties I had gotten. I'm still driving that far but I have a ton more properties along the way so I'm making out good through the entire route. I'm also working on getting a days route local so I can be finished without higher op costs. I also have almost half of my customers on a 12 month plan! So now I have my 12 month income with a few months of free time. :) I'm into flying electric helicopters now.

skorum03
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks Daryl. I never really looked at it in the sense of just going where the work is sometimes regardless of distance because a lot of people would say what do you want to go work out there for? And I can see both sides of the argument. Its hard to turn down work when you're just starting up.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

ryan41
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
1 acre, decent amount of trimming how does $60.00 sound?

Creative Cuts
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
$50.00 average few above and few below