PDA

View Full Version : Tree toad tree transplanter

brentsawyer
02-02-2003, 10:57 AM
Found this in a landscape supply mag that I received. Here is the company website http://www.treetoad.com/easytouse.asp I can see how the thing works but I am curious if anyone has/used one and what size recommended. Also anything else you have on the subject would be helpful.

dan deutekom
02-02-2003, 11:34 AM
I would imagine that it would work allright in good soil. The soil around our area is so rocky and hard I couldn't imagine being able to drive in the spades. We have trouble just driving in T-bar fence posts.

steveair
02-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Hello,

Looks like a 'neat' idea, but more of a gadget that would collect dust in the corner of the shop for many years.

A machine mounted hydraulic powered unit would be the only way to go.

I bet if you took that thing and then put a couple of guys with a pick, a shovel, and some burlap head to head, the guys with the tools would come out ahead everytime.

steve

devildog
02-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by steveair
.....I bet if you took that thing and then put a couple of guys with a pick, a shovel, and some burlap head to head, the guys with the tools would come out ahead everytime.steve

Perhaps for one or two, or maybe lunch time at best. But, you sure would'nt sell'em to me.....

Also, machines don't do drugs, show-up for work late (or not even show-up), cost over-time, take vacations, sick-days, personal days, generate employer taxes, complain about BS, give lip to the customers, wreck equipment, abuse trucks...... I should go on, but the point is made, I could not resist. Machine will always out do man. None of us want to go back to the days of push reel mowers, wheelbarrows, and hand grass-clippers (been there, done that). With Regards ... devildog

SCL
02-03-2003, 09:17 AM
I've seen these used and know a guy who has one. Works good for about one tree. After that you get real tired. You're literally pounding the spades into the ground, much like driving fence posts, but on an angle. Can you say Gorilla Arms? Pretty expensive for that kind of labor return. Find a bunch to do at once and rent or hire a spade(hydraulic, of course):)

treefarm
12-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Bought the small 16" cart model a few months ago. Used it for moving hundreds of small 3' tall spruce from beds into the field (worked far easier than using hand spade). It forms as nice and tight of a ball as any hydraulic-driven spade. We had an unusually dry fall so our clay soil was pretty hard most of the time (a hand spade simply wouldn't have even had a chance this fall).

I don't agree that hydraulic spades are always the way to go. For digging large quantities, of course hydraulic is the way. However, during drier periods the hydraulic units may need far more skid-steer weight than is practical to add even with tires, etc. loaded.

The basic concept of a pile-driven spade has advantages beyond being able to penetrate drier clay soils. The lighter weight and smaller size adds agility getting to trees otherwise obstructed.

I don't have experience (yet) with their larger spades, but probably will buy one if the cart model ciontinues to hold up well. So far, I'm completely satisfied with the little cart model. The welds on one of the spade handles did break, but I see no signs of problems on anything significant yet.

BrandonV
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
i'd think it would work alright in soft or sandy soil, but no way it'd work around here.

White Gardens
12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I would think this would work better, especially if you had a dingo with forks to move your tree after being balled and burlap.

http://www.gomulch.com/index.cfm/name-cont.products/app_prodid-66

Lawnworks
12-21-2008, 08:43 PM
How much is it? I believe I have seen a spade for a dingo... that would be the trick for the smaller hard to get stuff.

Focal Point Landscapes
12-27-2008, 12:10 AM
I can think of a lot of uses for this , but $1700 is more than I anticipated - it would be interesting to see it work in Georgia red in August .......

handyrandy
07-04-2009, 03:03 AM
where would i purchase a used tree toad transplanter. timmins ontario canada 705-262-5499 thanks