PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best advertising money you've spent???

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Just curious where you feel your money has been best spent on advertising? I've only done direct mail and a couple of Groupon deals.

I spend 2k on direct mail one spring and only yielded about 10 calls. A couple of worth while customers, but not the response I was looking for. I've also done a Groupon the past two years. While I did a ton of work for free, I've picked up about 15-20 new regulars each go round.

I might do Groupon again this year, but in a VERY limited capacity. I just don't have the time to mess with a main feature again.

So where has your money been best spent?

THORNTON SERVICES LLC
01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
depends on the time of year , i love business cards I know you probally already have some , but there are so many ways to utilize business cards , put them on bulitin boards everywhere , and the best way to get business during the mowing season is business cards just get some door hanger plastic bags , they are pritty cheap , pick a neighborhood that you want to target and walk around hang them on door and if you see someone introduce yourself and hand them a business card. this will translate to the #1 way to obtain business and that is word of mouth , the person you are giving your card to may not need there lawn done but that doesent mean thay do not know someone who does , this route is the cheapest way , the best way with no work on your part would be local newspaper, but this means more money.

dycproperties
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
With out a doubt the best money I have spent is fully lettering our trucks and as the fleet grew keeping them the same color. When you are just getting started it seems like a big investment but looking back getting my truck lettered was a turning point for me. I have painted a few of the older trucks myself and paid the body shop to do others. I am really lucky that my wife is a graphic designer and we own a vinyl cutter so she does the stickers. When we ran only one truck people used to say they saw us all over town now 13 yrs later we have 12 trucks on the road and they really do see us all over town.
Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
With out a doubt the best money I have spent is fully lettering our trucks and as the fleet grew keeping them the same color. When you are just getting started it seems like a big investment but looking back getting my truck lettered was a turning point for me. I have painted a few of the older trucks myself and paid the body shop to do others. I am really lucky that my wife is a graphic designer and we own a vinyl cutter so she does the stickers. When we ran only one truck people used to say they saw us all over town now 13 yrs later we have 12 trucks on the road and they really do see us all over town.
Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have any pics? I do have a logo on my truck, but might need to redo it in about a year. I can't say a get many calls from my current door logo.

dycproperties
01-13-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure how to upload pictures but I have some on my website www.dycproperties.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Barrett Landscaping
01-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Like others have said, lettering your trucks equipment, and having uniforms are great. Post cards work well for me. A website is great as well in this day of technology.

corey4671
01-13-2013, 11:44 PM
simply put...the BEST advertising money I've spent over the last year is the ability to tell folks.."text THEYARDBOY to 90210 on your mobile phone.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
how do you set up the texting plan that comes to your phone? That would be an awesome thing to do.

Please give us details!

corey4671
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
simply put...the BEST advertising money I've spent over the last year is the ability to tell folks.."text THEYARDBOY to 90210 on your mobile phone.

and when I say the best money I've spent, I'm talking about $14.95/month

branchoutshrub
01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Putting our logo on our trucks and shirts. Great way to brand your company!

JContracting
01-15-2013, 06:16 AM
I had a decent yield on doorhangers. My website is near the top when you google my city and w.e service.
I am trying EDDM this year and hope to see good results.
Ill be lettering my truck & the enclosed trailer I'm buying as well.
Dyc, your website looks great!

lawn crafters
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Correy.. where did you find the . Text the yardboy to #.. It seems like itd work well
Posted via Mobile Device

corey4671
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Correy.. where did you find the . Text the yardboy to #.. It seems like itd work well
Posted via Mobile Device

have you tried it yet?

slowleak1
01-15-2013, 12:57 PM
have you tried it yet?

I looked into it, but there website is pretty useless. Can you fill us in on what plan you used? There options on the website are confusing and non-descriptive.

corey4671
01-15-2013, 01:16 PM
I looked into it, but there website is pretty useless. Can you fill us in on what plan you used? There options on the website are confusing and non-descriptive.

The easiest plan to use is the Mcard.You have "your name" at 90210 and the customer gets an instant response.

CLS_Birmingham
01-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Best money you'll ever spend is lettering your truck, signs in clients yards on busy streets, SEO (Definitely worth every penny), and flat out networking. The market is saturated with every lawn company in business constantly putting up flyers. To many clients, they'll see your flyer and throw it in the pile with the other 50 flyers they received that week. Learn to make your company standout. Be creative in your approach. Its the only way your going to get noticed. And turn your clients into your sales force. With an over saturated market, people are turning more to sites like yelp when deciding what service to go with. So if your clients are satisfied with your work, offer them incentives to spread the word. I know many successful business owners who have built such a good reputation, that the only advertising they have is word of mouth.

SullysAllSeasons
01-16-2013, 05:35 AM
and when I say the best money I've spent, I'm talking about $14.95/month

Still wondering how it's done though...Please Share!!! Sounds like a great marketing tool I would love to put to work in my area:clapping:

slowleak1
01-16-2013, 06:48 AM
Do like he says, text "theyardboy" to 90210

Its simple, put 90210 as your recipient and theyardboy in for the message, and watch the magic.

SullysAllSeasons
01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Obviously I understand how the texting and learning more about HIS business works...but I want to know how to set one up for MY business so I can implement this marketing strategy in my service area:hammerhead:
Do you just contact your phone provider?? Is this an outside company that provides the service??

tonygreek
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Obviously I understand how the texting and learning more about HIS business works...but I want to know how to set one up for MY business so I can implement this marketing strategy in my service area:hammerhead:
Do you just contact your phone provider?? Is this an outside company that provides the service??
The company he's recommending is a multi-level marketing business. You can only use the short code text service he is touting by signing up under him, or another "member" of the MLM.

Here's a similar short code service, that is not an MLM. I have no affiliation nor am I a customer of them, but I know people who do use them.

http://www.textmarks.com/front/pricing/

Or just Google sms short code service

Blades Lawn Maintenance
01-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Interesting thread

New2TheGreenIndustry
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
To follow-up with my op, the website has been hands down the best money I've ever spent. I put the website together in Dec and in the last month my phone has been ringing off the hook, and had tons of quote request submissions. ROI is crushing my direct mail campaign of a few years ago.

Cedar Lawn Care
05-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I put in a lot of hours getting up a website, but financially it's only about $130/year or so. It has yielded more calls than my 2000 door hangers and 1700 post cards put together. An online presence is very important. My worst advertising is post cards. I paid around 700 bucks to have 1700 sent out and I have received 1-2 weekly clients from it, and 1 other one time spraying job. Pretty disappointing.

cpllawncare
05-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Web presence is essential these days, might as well forget door hangers, flyers and direct mail the cost is too high and the ROI just isn't there. once you've been around for a few years word of mouth will take over on it's own.

Nate'sLawnCare
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Business cards are still the best money I've spent and I always make sure I have 10 or so with me. We picked up 2 regular customers in the past couple of weeks by leaving business cards on the newspaper counter at a convenience store near our neighborhood. Try to be creative with how you use them, you never know what will happen.

JContracting
05-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Web presence is essential these days, might as well forget door hangers, flyers and direct mail the cost is too high and the ROI just isn't there. once you've been around for a few years word of mouth will take over on it's own.

My return so far on the postcards was pretty weak unfortunately.
Of 3100:
1. Cheap old guy that keeps wanting to negotiate via email on his failing multi tier wall w/ 2 sets of steps
2. Cheap lady that has a backyard with a 60 degree slope who of which is hoping to get a 78' long by 3' tall retaining wall, rock installed on the down slope below, topsoil at the top to bring the grade to almost even with her patio and absolutely zero equipment access with no where to even operate equipment from, all for $5000. Nice joke!
3. Crazy black lady with an a$$hole prick husband who wants a patio underneath their addition & deck with an 18' gap square around each footing post.
4. Multiple calls for fert/weed control program, without burning a drop of fuel in my truck I use a website that allows the measuring of areas via google maps, I then figure the total square footage and give them a price based on my rates. Being as most of these properties are very close, I lowered the prices a tad but still, cheap a$$es.

Having SEO incorporated into my website along with an extremely professional (and expensive!) website in itself helps a lot. Referrals have done the most (volume wise) with large landscape installs. Maintenance accts are few and far between it seems, I'm not sure if my postcard and prices for full service scared ppl away or morons out there doing stuff for next to nothing and fertilizing illegally are taking everything? With the install market improving for my company currently, that's what we'll focus on aside from handling the existing maintenance clients.

Thankfully I have recurring install clients that want some maintenance done on stuff as well as more installs done.