PDA

View Full Version : Building a Leaf Vac System for Truck

andy'slawncare
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a Peterbilt with a 16' aluminum box that I would like to add a leaf loader too. What kind of horse power would I need for the leaf loader? Also planning on pulling a trailer, so would have to make a swing away hitch. Looking for ideas or anyone that has a nice used unit for sale.

Thanks.

alldayrj
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
No help with the leaves but that is a beautiful truck and dump body. Any more pics or have them posted elsewhere?
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
The best set up I have seen on dump body isn't seen much. Where your side tool box is they mounted the leaf loader underneath the bed and it shot up through the floor. Put it on the pass side, less bend of the hose when picking up, and its out of the way for dumping or trailers.
Posted via Mobile Device

andy'slawncare
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
In the past we have just lifted the bags into the back of the truck by hand. I am thinking about getting rid of the blue box on the trailer and mount the leaf vac right there and extend the tube going into the bed of the truck. Would there be enough power to blow the debris threw the extend tube and another 15' to the front of the dump?

djagusch
01-13-2013, 01:14 PM
its suction you worry about when talking height. The blower will shoot it farther then needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Just an idea but you could always purchase a tow behind leaf vac and have it shoot into the box from behind the truck.

lawnrich
01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Be very careful when buying a used debris loader! I have billy goat that is only a few months old with a bent frame they are putting very heavy engine on a thin piece of steel and hoping it will hold. Then when it fails just deaning the warranty at least in my case. There could be a ton of damaged machines out there that people are getting rid of. I will add pics tomorrow.

andy'slawncare
01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
lawnrich- If you could add some pictures of what I should be looking for in a used machine that would be great.

lawnrich
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
I would not buy a used Bill Goat. When the metal bent, it pushed the battery into the muffler almost causing a fire and the battery to short out. I will definitely get you some pictures to look at, but I would look into the Giant Vac Value Line Tow Behind. While I was dealing with warranty issues on my Billy Goat, I found this machine.

http://www.giant-vac.com/industrial_tow_behind.php

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
I would not buy a used Bill Goat. When the metal bent, it pushed the battery into the muffler almost causing a fire and the battery to short out. I will definitely get you some pictures to look at, but I would look into the Giant Vac Value Line Tow Behind. While I was dealing with warranty issues on my Billy Goat, I found this machine.

I'm sorry for the trouble you've had with your Billy Goat but to be fair it was used. It may not have been noticed when the unit was reviewed and it may have been exactly why the unit was being sold. We've sold thousands of DL's and since their introduction and we've had 2 claims for bent engine bases.

To be honest though, when first introduced we did have some bad welds on the engine base frames. When those failed they would lead to stress fractures in the engine base. That's been corrected years ago but we stand behind our products and we covered those units under warranty.

The unit you describe is a DL1802VE. The Giant-Vac you show is a 29hp that hasn't been produced on well over a year. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Now, we do have a 25 and 35hp unit if you're interested in reviewing larger tow behind units. http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/Detail/dl25-35-series-professional-contractor-munici

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
The only way I ever described the Billy Goat was to say they are putting a very heavy engine on a thin piece of steel and hoping it will hold. I went on to explain that when the metal bent it pushed the battery into the muffler almost causing a fire and the battery to short out. It is interesting that from this description, you correctly knew the exact model I purchased.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Billy Goat (and competitors) product knowledge is kinda my shtick. We only offer one unit where the battery is located under the muffler as described.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Billy Goat (and competitors) product knowledge is kinda my shtick. We only offer one unit where the battery is located under the muffler as described.

Well if that's true that it's your shtick, you might want to review your statement that giant vac I mention has not been in production in a year and note the header on giantvacs site.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 02:56 PM

So I'm guessing today is when you found out that scag bought giantvac.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 04:09 PM

??? Why is the battery located under the muffler with almost no clearance when a standard lawn and garden battery is installed. This seems unsafe.
I don't think your weld issue is solved as you stated. Sine that is all Golden eagle (Billy goats distributor) asked when my claim denied in 2012. I won't even note where you put the oil filter which makes maintenance a huge chore. IE Battery. The whole machine seems to have design issues.

elbow300
01-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I have a Peterbilt with a 16' aluminum box that I would like to add a leaf loader too. What kind of horse power would I need for the leaf loader? Also planning on pulling a trailer, so would have to make a swing away hitch. Looking for ideas or anyone that has a nice used unit for sale.

Thanks.

That Pete is awesome!! I bet the cost of operation makes you squirm a bit tho... The leaf vac set up I use is a 16 hp skid mounted lesco wit the 10" by 10' loader hose. If I had that to do over, I would have opted for a bigger unit. something in the 30 hp range maybe. I definitely like the loader mounted to the truck, rather than trailer units. We use our walks to push plow blades to get the leaves down to the truck, and need a trailer to haul them and blowers, rakes and such. I built a custom mount on a swing hinge made from a piece of 4" schedule 40 pipe inside a piece of 4.5". There are 2 positions for the pin, one in the loading position, and one all the way out so the door will swing while dumping. In the regular season, we just remove the mount by separating at the pipe hinge. The base is welded to the underside of the bed. Dont have a picture handy, but I'll try to remember to get one at the shop if it ever quits raining.

andy'slawncare
01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
I bought the truck for a good price last spring. The cost of operation hasn't been to bad so far, but not looking forward to replacing the tires when the time comes. I am looking for a used blower in the 20-30hp range having a hard time finding one so far.

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't buy a use leaf loader.....just don't....they aren't that expensive and they lead a very rough life.

lawnrich
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Your trailer jack is far enough back on the trailer's tongue that you might be able to mount a small unit 18hp or so there with clearance. Hang the hose to the side that you will park at.

lawnrich
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Andy look at this. It looks promising. I don't know a lot about them yet.

http://www.monsterpowerequipment.com/products/truck_loaders.aspx

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Can sell you a giant vac with 30hp Wisconsin

aczlan
01-19-2013, 08:51 AM
On mounting a leaf blower: If you will mostly/always be working from the right side, I would remove the right rear drop side section and make something to go in its place that will mount a leaf loader and have a "wall" between it and your cargo so that the leaves get directed around it when you dump. Attached is a top down view of what I am thinking of.

Aaron Z

ANA Proscapes
01-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Monster power equipment is the company that did all of giant vacs manufacturing. When giant vac went out of business they started up there own line of leaf vacs. They do still make parts for the giant vac loaders thou. If I was you I would go with a vac in the 30 hp range. We have 16 or 18 hp gv's and they can be slow at times. Good luck with your vac purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device