PDA

View Full Version : Toro Turfmaster Vs. Exmark Commercial 30"

locallawncare.ca
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any new info on these two mowers. I recently saw them both at a landscape expo(Congress). Here is what I found out.

Both have identical motors, decks, drive trains.

The Toro has a two point height adjustment, where the exmark has individual wheels, that come off to change the height much like the 21" model.

The control/bail on the exmark is a traditional style(blades on top and drive on bottom. The Toro has a single lower bail that controls both, it slides sideways slightly which engages the blades and the drive, or you leave it and it controls just the drive. So both mowers can run in drive without the blades engaged which is a big plus for this size/type of mower.

The front wheels an the exmark stick out from the deck slightly in the front, where the Toro's are more part of the deck.

The Toro was priced at $1850.00, the Exmark wasn't priced but the rep there said it would be slightly more then the Toro. Keep in mind I live in Canada, so U.S. prices will likely be less.

Overall, both seem very well built, very solid, but seem relatively maneuverable despite there size/weight of approx 170-180 lbs, which isn't too bad considering the pro-line and exmark 21" are about 115lbs.

I will be getting a Toro for sure, mainly because dealer is closer, and will gladly share my experiences when I get it. I hope this information helps and please add your comment/updates for these mower as you come across them.

Thanks.

Turf Tracer
01-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Do yourself a huge favor and check out the 32" Wright Velke Mower.

You get 11 MORE Horsepower and DUAL Hydro Pumps and Wheel Motors and 2" more deck.

It is like a Ferrari vs a Yugo for small lawns.:waving:

lawnboy dan
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
i will stick with my toro 32 floater-at least it has a real trans

locallawncare.ca
01-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm aware of the competition, but this mower is in a different class altogether, but for its size and configuration there is nothing else like these two machines, Im aware of 32" wb, but they are just not the same, also ferris makes the best 32" wb in my opinion. Please no bashing, just looking for more info.

Turf Tracer
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
The Ferris 32" Walk uses a Single Hydro System.

It is not in the same class as the Wright 32" Dual Hydro.

The 30" Toro is a boat anchor.

Take a Dual Hydro for a spin.:waving:

lawnkingforever
01-14-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm aware of the competition, but this mower is in a different class altogether, but for its size and configuration there is nothing else like these two machines, Im aware of 32" wb, but they are just not the same, also ferris makes the best 32" wb in my opinion. Please no bashing, just looking for more info.

Yes I agree. Two different type of mowers and application. The Toro/xmark 30" could possibly replace a pushmower in most applications, the commercial 32" will not. The closest mower I could find in that size to replace a pushmower 90% of the time was the 33" cub/craftsman/troybuilt. Sold mine off because of cut quality and the bagging option was cumbersome.

The Toro looks like a viable option for an occasional back yard with a narrow gate. The rear bagger would be nice and to switch from side discharge to mulching easily is a plus. I have no need for a commercial 32". I would hate to haul around another heavy/bigger mower all day just to pull it off of the trailer once or twice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Tracer
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Beating a Dead Horse:hammerhead:

But a 32" Dual Hydro can go anywhere and do everything a 30" Belt Driven 170LB mower can....Only Better:waving:

weaver
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Beating a Dead Horse:hammerhead:

But a 32" Dual Hydro can go anywhere and do everything a 30" Belt Driven 170LB mower can....Only Better:waving:

Believe me or not, there are some customers that just do not want the big machines on there lawns making this ideal for alot of people in the lawn industry. I was going to buy one but don't really have the trailer space and so far the customers i have have no complaints as far as using the big commercial mowers, but if that changed in the future would most definitely purchase one.

KS_Grasscutter
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
My assumption is that it weighs too much, the narrow wheels will rut things real bad. I'd rather have a 21" and a 32". Have a fixed deck toro, wish I'd of went with the ferris with the floating deck and hydro drive.
Posted via Mobile Device

locallawncare.ca
01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
The ferris single hydro is an awesome machine, no need for dual at 32", its very quick and very nimble, but isnt the same as a push mower style machine like this new 30", a wb has a much longer wheelbase and doesn't give a good cut on small uneven lawns ( the ones you would use a 21" for), the new 30" has 3" wide rear tires, and rutting would be comparable probably to a toro Proline. Dont get me wrong wb have there place for sure, but a push mower is still a go to machine for small residential, and this 30" model is just a larger 21' mower without jumping up to the full wb class of mower. Just my thoughts, I use a 21" a lot and could not use a 32" wb in 90% of the places the 21" can go.

Turf Tracer
01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Will post a video Friday that shows why the Ferris Single Hydro 32" Walk is vastly inferior to the Dual Hydro 32" Wright or discontinued 32" eXmark Viking.

A Winter with no snow affords me the time to educate:sleeping:

KS_Grasscutter
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree dual hydro is better, but I'd trade one of the hydros for a floating deck. That being said, its pretty flat here. Would be a different story if I had slopes to deal with.
Posted via Mobile Device

locallawncare.ca
01-14-2013, 01:43 PM
The only advantage I could see is the ability to hold a hill, but with a bit of muscle the ferris can hold a hill well, Im not debating single vs. dual hydo in this thread, just seeking info on these two new mowers.

Turf Tracer
01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Many more benefits than just sticking to hills; especially on very small, landscaped, gated properties.:clapping:

Valk
01-14-2013, 05:51 PM
That Wright dual hydro 32 is over 500lbs with tiny 4" wide drive tires. When dry this is likely not much of an issue...most of the time. But when soggy, I bet it stays on the truck/trailer. What's your experience with rutting using this machine?

Turf Tracer
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
32" stander is bad ...32" Velke no problems (Velke up). Don't forget psi of tire to turf is almost same as 21" due to wider tires and you can easily feather it in turns with the dual hydro.

It's a jackrabbit on small lawns
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I have been scoping out the New 30" commercial mower. What gets me going are people that can't using them trying to upsell what they use. Really, this is a niche mower. It is used to take the place of a 21 and a 21 only. If you have more grass than a 21 can handle this is not the mower for you.
You don't go out using a string trimmer to do your hedges even though it is capable of it, same kind of thing in comparing a true walk behind rather than a Hydro mid size unit, same as using a midsize hydro walk compared to a ztr.
Grass is a funny thing and grows differently in different zones. I can understand the southern guys not liking this due to lack of power, but us here in the north with cool season grass and ticky tacky lots look to a better mower that any monkey can use, Not all monkeys are alike.

We have used the 26" for 7 years now, I look forward to at least as good or better for our particular applications out of the new 30!

GRASSMONKEYS
02-24-2013, 02:42 AM
I have been scoping out the New 30" commercial mower. What gets me going are people that can't using them trying to upsell what they use. Really, this is a niche mower. It is used to take the place of a 21 and a 21 only. If you have more grass than a 21 can handle this is not the mower for you.
You don't go out using a string trimmer to do your hedges even though it is capable of it, same kind of thing in comparing a true walk behind rather than a Hydro mid size unit, same as using a midsize hydro walk compared to a ztr.
Grass is a funny thing and grows differently in different zones. I can understand the southern guys not liking this due to lack of power, but us here in the north with cool season grass and ticky tacky lots look to a better mower that any monkey can use, Not all monkeys are alike.

We have used the 26" for 7 years now, I look forward to at least as good or better for our particular applications out of the new 30!

I agree, how did this poor guys thread get highjacked. You can't compare a 32" wright at 500lbs. to these new commercial 30's I can fit a new 30" on my trailer with my other mowers but not a 32" Wright.

locallawncare.ca
02-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah my poor thread, lol. Hopefully when people start using these two mowers there will be some real feedback.

Exact Rototilling
02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm following this closely.

I have last years electric start TimeMaster Toro 30".

A rear bagger 30" is huge leg up.

There is no single mower that works well in all places.

My chief concern is the extra weight of the commercial version 170# vs. 138#....?

My BOP Dually 32 rocks. Outstanding cut, fast and only 400#. Problem is out of production. Good news is I own 2 of them :). Bad news is I'm not selling.

There are SOME lawns where I exclusively use my T30 and/or yBravo25 exclusively. Rear baggers have a huge advantage. Yes I discharge and mulch as much as I can but sometimes bagging small lawns is faster.

I don't think a Ferris 32 single can match the Q32dually.
Posted via Mobile Device

bilgeewarrior
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
I'd still like to hear if anybody prefers the Exmark over the Toro or vise versa. Thought this thread was about this question.

sildoc
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I'd still like to hear if anybody prefers the Exmark over the Toro or vise versa. Thought this thread was about this question.

Did you read the post. Truly there is no one that will buy one of each. You will either buy a toro or a exmark and it will be based mainly on your dealer and second to the controls. The engine guard, wheel adjustment, and controls are the only difference. Thus the performance will be the exact same and only difference is the preference of controls and wheel adjustment.

bilgeewarrior
04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Sorry my problem is the nearest dealer is 4 hours away, they sell both machines and I have only ever used Honda mowers so I have no experience with these brands. I was hoping to get a general feel for what the rest of you like before I drive all that way to look them over and probably buy one or the other.

Exact Rototilling
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry my problem is the nearest dealer is 4 hours away, they sell both machines and I have only ever used Honda mowers so I have no experience with these brands. I was hoping to get a general feel for what the rest of you like before I drive all that way to look them over and probably buy one or the other.

I clearly prefer the front wheel adjustment on the Toro.
And I clearly prefer the front engine protector on the Exmark.

I think...I'd prefer the dual bail on the Exmark.

Maybe the dealer will swap out the Toro front end and put it on the Exmark. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM

I understand, However it is all going to be personal preference. The cut quality is great, except in the wet. Looks to be a well built machine and the engine is proven. Only time will tell how long the rest of the machine will hold up.

bilgeewarrior
04-07-2013, 02:57 AM
I really like the dual bail so for now I think the exmark is winning for me we shall see when I can have a look at them for real. The exmark looks stronger built in the photos on line IMHO.

weesa20
04-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Bought the ExMark 30- wheel height adjustment on the Ex is simple and quick- like the dual bail design on the Ex too. Could have saved 100$ going Toro but I like my Ex dealer and they are much closer, so as others have stated, it came down to the dealer for me.

ric1
04-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Bought the ExMark 30- wheel height adjustment on the Ex is simple and quick- like the dual bail design on the Ex too. Could have saved 100$ going Toro but I like my Ex dealer and they are much closer, so as others have stated, it came down to the dealer for me.

It didn't come down to dealer or price with me cause there both sold locally for the same price. I purchased the Toro in March. IMO the 30" is a cross between the 21" and the larger walk behind mowers. It's the best of both worlds. Larger than the 21" and you get considerable time savings over the conventional and smaller than the WB and less weight you get better maneuverability and in a lot of cases time savings over the WB. It's turned out to be one of the best mowers for Residential clients I have.
IMO whether you buy the Toro or Exmark you can't go wrong with either. It's the ideal size mower.

sjessen
04-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Do you think there might be a possible market for this type of mower in larger deck sizes than 30", say up to 38" or 40"? Entry level guys would eat them up as would those wanting a lighter mower for smaller lawns.

sildoc
04-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Do you think there might be a possible market for this type of mower in larger deck sizes than 30", say up to 38" or 40"? Entry level guys would eat them up as would those wanting a lighter mower for smaller lawns.

There are a few problems when you go larger. The 30 scalps on uneven lawns below 2.5 inches in cutting height and going wider would mean you would have to go up higher to keep from scalping.
Then there would be the, what is powering it question. There are really no commercial engines until you hit the 12hp plus and then your taking and putting a engine that weighs 75-100 lbs on instead of 40.
Then you need a really beefy transmission so now your talking a 300lb mower that only goes 4.5mph and will probably cost somewhere between 2500 and 3k.
At that point I would rather buy a Hydro walk and train the guys pic up the extra productivity.

I do think that toro/exmark really looked at how large they could actually go before coming up with the 30. It is a niche mower and will mainly be used on smaller properties under 8000k of turf.

sjessen
04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
There are a few problems when you go larger. The 30 scalps on uneven lawns below 2.5 inches in cutting height and going wider would mean you would have to go up higher to keep from scalping.
Then there would be the, what is powering it question. There are really no commercial engines until you hit the 12hp plus and then your taking and putting a engine that weighs 75-100 lbs on instead of 40.
Then you need a really beefy transmission so now your talking a 300lb mower that only goes 4.5mph and will probably cost somewhere between 2500 and 3k.
At that point I would rather buy a Hydro walk and train the guys pic up the extra productivity.

I do think that toro/exmark really looked at how large they could actually go before coming up with the 30. It is a niche mower and will mainly be used on smaller properties under 8000k of turf.

Good points all. Subaru does make a 9 hp engine. Had one on a BillyGoat blower. Do think the manufacturers can come up something if they can sell enough of them. Handling would be an issue on wider units though.

bilgeewarrior
04-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I wonder if Honda or anyone else will jump on this train.

sildoc
04-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I wonder if Honda or anyone else will jump on this train.

Nope, Honda tried making larger mowers one time for a short period. I think they are better at making engines and small things. Not enough market to interest Honda.

Yes any manufacture will make something in which they can sell many many many of them, however the problem is there are just not that many to sell overall in the commercial market. The R and D that goes into a new mower to make it work is ridiculous. I have been working on several different things, do be disclosed at a much later date that will make a commercial mowing contractors life easy and more productive, however I have yet to find a way to really make it affordable.

Tommygunn
04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Considering both the Toro and Exmark as well...90 percent of the time I mulch..Live in SD so cool season grass..How well do they mulch compared to the Honda 21?

bilgeewarrior
04-20-2013, 02:35 AM
Finally got to look at both machines. I picked the Exmark as it felt better to have two bails. Bought it today and will put it to work next week.

aaron86
12-18-2013, 08:30 PM
How did the exmark turn out for you were looking to get one next spring
Posted via Mobile Device

Golfpro21
06-24-2014, 01:57 PM
have had the timemaster as a pushmower option for 3 years now. I find it a great replacement for a 21" on the days my crew cut the bigger properties and some of them have ditches etc. This mower covers far more sq ft than the 21" and makes mowing a lot easier and less draining on a crew member.
Tires needed to be replaced after two seasons, other than that it has held up good. I will consider the turfmaster when I need another mower

JF660R
06-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Thoughts on this toro for sale

http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/4505749490.html

Should I pick it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
06-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Thoughts on this toro for sale

http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/4505749490.html

Should I pick it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like a Timemaster. $650 is a good price even without a warranty. If you are a homeowner I would rather get a new one with warranty. If you are a commercial cutter you only get 90 days on a new unit.