PDA

View Full Version : Jobber/Gopher with Quickbooks, why?

Crimson Lawn
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I have read a lot of threads about software and I cannot find where or why there is a reason to have Jobber or Gopher linked with Quickbooks.
If I have an accountant why do I need Quickbooks?

I could some feedback on this.

merrimacmill
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
You need to have a completely accurate picture of your entire company at any given point in time. This information should be generated in just a few clicks, with hardly any effort. This is where quickbooks comes in. With it you can track every bill, every bit of revenue and where its coming from, and most importantly every expense and what account its associated with. If your not using quickbooks, then are you writing checks by hand with a one write system or something? Then at the end of the year, your paperwork (or accountant expense) is greatly increased.

Jobber only tracks invoices and payments, no expenses. It also doesn't sync with quickbooks for MAC. But if your a windows user, no problem.

I am considering Jobber right now, messing around with the trial version. But I have yet to make a decision because it has a few short comings that I need to decide if I can live with until they do updates to satisfy that need.

Crimson Lawn
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Well I'm a pretty small company. I balance my account about every 3 days, file quarterly taxes with my accountant and she does a P & L statement for me. I invoice once a month, write down who owes what and payments come in I check them off. Now I do not know the different section I need to place everything and I have been visited by the KGB(IRS) before. That is why I hired an accountant.
Just didnt know if I could benefit by having QB linked with Jobber or Gopher.
I mainly would like a better invoicing system with reoccurring level charges.

Weekend cut easymoney
01-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Well I'm a pretty small company. I balance my account about every 3 days, file quarterly taxes with my accountant and she does a P & L statement for me. I invoice once a month, write down who owes what and payments come in I check them off. Now I do not know the different section I need to place everything and I have been visited by the KGB(IRS) before. That is why I hired an accountant.
Just didnt know if I could benefit by having QB linked with Jobber or Gopher.
I mainly would like a better invoicing system with reoccurring level charges.

I've used quickbooks for 15 years...i email all my invoices and ca n track them as to who has viewed them...recurring customer invoices are automatically generated...mail merge collection letters takes maybe five minutes to generate.
Plus i can download all my credit card and bank expenses...it has freed my time up from worrying about collections.
Try clip scheduling software, it has a lot more features than most all the other scheduling software and allows you to use a tablet ir smartphone to record your job data, start and stop times....sycs with quickbooks

Marshman
01-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm in the same boat as you crimson. What's the downside of QB for you guys that use it. Why look into anything else?. How long have you been using jobber? Like it? I've noticed it doesn't have an app but its phone interphase fits the iPhone well so is there a need?
Posted via Mobile Device

JFGLN
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm in the same boat as you crimson. What's the downside of QB for you guys that use it. Why look into anything else?. How long have you been using jobber? Like it? I've noticed it doesn't have an app but its phone interphase fits the iPhone well so is there a need?
Posted via Mobile Device

You use Quickbooks for accounting and then you use software like Jobber for scheduling. They work together.

Crimson Lawn
01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
JF, Marsh,
I dont have or use either. I developed my invoices in MS Word. Fill them out for the year and only need to make changes if something is dropped or added. I worked on an easy payment tracker and it works for me so when it comes to taxes and P & L statments I look at my Qt sheets my account does. Its just me and maybe 2 guys for most of the season. I do have my monthly employees filings I pay but my accountant does that for me as well. I get poked at for this but I deposit all money made into my bank.
I guess what Im looking at is that my accountant charges me $40 a month for the business, $25 a month for payroll. At the end of the year she charges me $120 for Year end tax filings. She separates all my receipts in their respective catagories. So $900 for the year and I dont have the headach of trying to do something that I dont know about and fear of filing wrong and getting visited by the KGB again.:nono:
I'm really looking for a better invoicing program that I can print and email to customers. Just wanted to know how other people did their's and what benefit it was to you?

JFGLN
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
JF, Marsh,
I dont have or use either. I developed my invoices in MS Word. Fill them out for the year and only need to make changes if something is dropped or added. I worked on an easy payment tracker and it works for me so when it comes to taxes and P & L statments I look at my Qt sheets my account does. Its just me and maybe 2 guys for most of the season. I do have my monthly employees filings I pay but my accountant does that for me as well. I get poked at for this but I deposit all money made into my bank.
I guess what Im looking at is that my accountant charges me $40 a month for the business, $25 a month for payroll. At the end of the year she charges me $120 for Year end tax filings. She separates all my receipts in their respective catagories. So $900 for the year and I dont have the headach of trying to do something that I dont know about and fear of filing wrong and getting visited by the KGB again.:nono:
I'm really looking for a better invoicing program that I can print and email to customers. Just wanted to know how other people did their's and what benefit it was to you?

I guess you need to decide if you need a scheduling program. I use Qexpress for that. At the end of the month it sends the data to Quickbooks which creates the invoices. If all you need is the ability to create invoices you would just use Quickbooks. Ask your accountant about QBs.

Marshman
01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I have 3 guys. 1 crew. So I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. My accountant does EVERYTHING. Even simple stuff I'm sure I could do. I guess I should just roll with quickbooks online and use excel spreadsheets. I'm pretty much all mowing. Was just wanting to find a simpler way to enter charges cause we do a lot of small accounts sometimes 50 a day and entering them in 1 by 1 seems silly. If you were doing a few jobs a day it's not a problem but all these small accounts being entered one by one is a bit time consuming. But maybe I'm getting greedy cause its not like I'm running 5 crews. Just trying to simplify. I'll give jobber a try and see how it works out I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

JFGLN
01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
I have 3 guys. 1 crew. So I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. My accountant does EVERYTHING. Even simple stuff I'm sure I could do. I guess I should just roll with quickbooks online and use excel spreadsheets. I'm pretty much all mowing. Was just wanting to find a simpler way to enter charges cause we do a lot of small accounts sometimes 50 a day and entering them in 1 by 1 seems silly. If you were doing a few jobs a day it's not a problem but all these small accounts being entered one by one is a bit time consuming. But maybe I'm getting greedy cause its not like I'm running 5 crews. Just trying to simplify. I'll give jobber a try and see how it works out I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

I run a small crew as well and we do 120 or so stops per week. We used a spreadsheet for years but I switched to Qexpress about 10 years ago. With a mix of weekly, every other week and even some once a month stops it would be hard to keep track of everything without a scheduling program.

Crimson Lawn
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Marsh, same here. While I'm sitting looking at the birds and squirels wanting the sky to blacken and dump 20" of snow everyother day I'm building my invoices for the year, a lot of copy, paste and I feel blessed that I have about a 95% customer retention rate so most of the info stays the same. I just wanted to include my logo, simplfy and have the invoice number themselves.

Marshman
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM
That's what I'm wondering. What program is best for what u just described. Is that mobile?
Posted via Mobile Device

Crimson Lawn
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I dont know about mobile. As much as I need that phone I get away from often and Do Not Have It Attached To My Hip, so I dont really look at the mobile option I'm kinda a dinosaur and use simple cheap flip phones. I dont need all that other stuff, I can do that in the comfort of my home.
Just read up some more on Gopher. I like both it and Jobber. Its trial and error time with a coin flip.

DFREAMGREEN
01-15-2013, 02:10 PM
If I am the only person in the LLC do I need another Tax ID number