PDA

View Full Version : Check vs credit card

grassmasterswilson
01-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Going to te bank is not that much of a hassle. Both are 5 minutes from the house and I don't go everyday.

I was told up here that it wasn't legal to charges credit card fee but I see it all the timeon the interstate where gas stations have a separate cash and credit price.

So do you have a minimum chare amount? I just hate to pay 3% on a 35 mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
01-13-2013, 05:47 PM
According to your agreement with the cc company your not allowed to add a separate charge for using one.

kandalawncaremgr
01-13-2013, 05:52 PM
If my customers or potential customers ask if they can pay by credit card or PayPal I simply say yes and just round it up to cover the costs. But I never tell them. But if they ask why does my friend get there's cheaper I simply say that there friend pays cash and thats why they gets there lawm cut for 25 I tell them 30 simply because its more of a hassle as far as fees and all that. I never had a problem. Then most say hell I'll go to the bank because everyone loves a discount.

tonygreek
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
According to your agreement with the cc company your not allowed to add a separate charge for using one.
This changes 1/27. The merchant settlement kicks in, but you need to understand the guidelines (clear disclosure to customers and surcharges not exceeding your merchant fees are the big ones), as well as your own state's requirements.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

http://www.mastercard.us/merchants/support/surcharge-rules.html

GW Andy
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
This changes 1/27. The merchant settlement kicks in, but you need to understand the guidelines (clear disclosure to customers and surcharges not exceeding your merchant fees are the big ones), as well as your own state's requirements.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_v...ees/index.html

http://www.mastercard.us/merchants/s...rge-rules.html

Thanks tonygreek.

I have been wishing that I could do just that.
Now I just have to figure how to put it on a Service Autopilot invoice.

MDLawn
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

http://www.mastercard.us/merchants/support/surcharge-rules.html

This is interesting as one of the landscape suppliers I used constantly had a 2% charge for using a charge card. Although I was a contractor account which I'm not sure is different and may not be subject to this? I'm not necessarily complaining as the 25%+ discounts on materials makes up plenty for a tiny 2% charge.

But this is the first year I will be offering credit card payments but I really only see people using that for landscaping work and not mowing. Plus as others have posted in different threads having credit card payments can save trips to the bank, stamps, envelopes, etc.... that could make up the small percentage you pay in fees. I mean a $35 lawn will cost you a $1 in fees. Charge $36 this year if the $35 still cuts it. If they don't use credit you make an extra buck but not a surcharge. I don't know, is that shady? I dont think so. It's a price raise like any other a business would do to cover costs.....

krzys555
01-18-2013, 12:09 PM
We have switched to requiring credit cards from everyone. for mowing accounts we charge every week. For design install we give the option of 50% deposit by check but final payment is to be made via credit card.

We do not charge a surcharge for payment.

You need to decide if you want to wait sometimes 2-3 months after you mow a property to get paid or pay 2% for money the next week.

we have a steady inflow of cash every week. we can plan purchases as well as know we will get paid on time, every time. when people need to send you a heck some do it right away while others wait to do it, then they will forget to send you a check.

Patriot Services
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
With the new "smartphone check pic" apps from most banks physically going to deposit checks has become a thing of the past.
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
We have switched to requiring credit cards from everyone. for mowing accounts we charge every week. For design install we give the option of 50% deposit by check but final payment is to be made via credit card.

We do not charge a surcharge for payment.

You need to decide if you want to wait sometimes 2-3 months after you mow a property to get paid or pay 2% for money the next week.

we have a steady inflow of cash every week. we can plan purchases as well as know we will get paid on time, every time. when people need to send you a heck some do it right away while others wait to do it, then they will forget to send you a check.

With the new "smartphone check pic" apps from most banks physically going to deposit checks has become a thing of the past.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very valid points

krzys555
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

but you still need to get the check!
It does not matter if you could deposit a check for your bed, without ever having to get up. but if you don't have the check, you can't deposit it, and you can't get paid.

You could use post dated checks, but we never got any even with incentives.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Creating weekly credit card bills rather than monthly, is a great idea for cashflow, but how to you go about setting that up on autopilot. How time consuming is charging 120 peoples cards once a week? I know billing for my company to send bills out, insert dates on invoices, ect, takes a good portion of 8 hours to do it all and put them all in the mail.

How do you streamline credit cards? Auto mated paying? Do you have to set that up with the credit card companies?

krzys555
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Creating weekly credit card bills rather than monthly, is a great idea for cashflow, but how to you go about setting that up on autopilot. How time consuming is charging 120 peoples cards once a week? I know billing for my company to send bills out, insert dates on invoices, ect, takes a good portion of 8 hours to do it all and put them all in the mail.

How do you streamline credit cards? Auto mated paying? Do you have to set that up with the credit card companies?

We use service auto pilot (SAP).
We have a merchant account for taking credit cards.
the merchant account integrates with SAP.

the credit cards are stored with SAP as they are PCI compliant.
we set our invoices to be tabulated weekly.
SAP does the invoices automatically for the week on Saturday night.
no dates to enter, ect for invoices, all done for you
we send out the invoices via email on Tuesday.
we charge the credit cards on Tuesday as well.
it takes us about 10 minutes to do.
it is a pain to get started and set everything up though.
you must enter all your jobs into SAP.
you also have to make sure you mark the jobs as complete or else the system thinks they were not done.
if SAP thinks the service was not done, there will be no invoice for the week, and no charge to the credit card.

attached is a screen shot of SAP invoices
all information is blacked out
from the top you can print, email, or have them print and mail your invoices. then you have the ability to charge credit cards.
it will tell you what emails were delivered.
as well it can tell you if the cards were all charged successfully or not.

trust me it saves a lot of time from doing them manually.
for invoices, scheduling and credit card charging/integration SAP is the best on the market. but it does not have marketing or a good time clock for payroll ect.

MDLawn
01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
krzys555,

Just happened to browse your website. When I clicked on the lawn care services page at the bottom where is says about the neighbors choosing you, landscaping is misspelled.

You have LANSCAPING instead of LANDSCAPING

Just thought I'd let you know.

krzys555
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
thank you.
we are almost finished with redoing the site. just getting the last bugs, and making it look good, color wise.

what do you think of the site overall?