PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Zone 4 conifer ideas.

gardenpro
02-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Hello, I'm looking for a short list of conifers that are smaller, and narrower than what is in right now. I am pulling out red cedars and douglas firs, they are forest giants planted up against the buildings.
I hoped mountain hemlock would work, but they are sold only up to 3-4 feet due to their slow growth.
Picea omorika will work. Chameacyparis nootkatensis will not due to it's wide spread.
Any reccomendations would be appreciated! Thanks.
Is there a particular variety of Colarado blue spruce that stays narrow and dwarf by chance??

mdb landscaping
02-02-2003, 01:55 PM
www.hort.uconn.edu

check this site out. my college put it up. you can select a variety of plants etc, and read all the info about them.

mdb landscaping
02-02-2003, 01:56 PM
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/Plants/index.html

heres the section on plants only.

gardenpro
02-02-2003, 02:36 PM
That's a great program. It is definately more based for the easterner, I think. Most trees fitting the bill are pines and junipers, and pines are much too soft for our heavy snows. Thanks, I did get Picea glauca up. May be too big, but it's a start.

kris
02-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Sure there is ...You being in BC you have tons of nice stuff. Go to your local wholesaler or garden center for some help.

lawn dawg
02-02-2003, 09:35 PM
mdb;

Thanks for the tip regarding the site from UConn. It is the little things such as this that make it enjoyable to browse LawnSite every day. :D

mdb landscaping
02-03-2003, 06:25 AM
no problem. i find that site very useful, and it makes it great because you dont need to know everything about the plant you are searching for. just type in whether you want a shade/sun, and height and color, and it narrows down the search. granted most plants on there are from CT, but many are adapted to the other states you are all from.