PDA

View Full Version : i am ready for spring.

Jimslawncareservice
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
I am sick of winter and ready to get my butt kicked by clean ups and hot weather.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
slow down a bit there. it hasn't even snowed here yet lol.

larryinalabama
01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Whats snow?

KrayzKajun
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Whats snow?

No clue. Ill be out cutting 2morrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
It's only snowed 3 times here. A 2" wet mess then a 5" able with a 40mph wind then a 2". Now nothing in January. So bring spring on. It's boring. But it is giving me time to study up for applicators licence.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
I think it has rained for a month in tn. I'm going crazy

JB1
01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
We are building a ark here.

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I got Noah on speed dial

orangemower
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
My lawn started to green up today with the 60 degree temps. I'll be patient and wait though, snow is still going to come. When it does, I'll be waiting. besides, grass ain't going to grow around here until late March or so.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm still waiting on Fall to come here in FL. lol We are never happy hot/cold!

pseudosun
01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
YES, SPRING! I share the feelings of the poster who has been experiencing rain for a month. My yard is saturated, and I'm going nuts. I had to make a raised round bed for my pittosporum; it was drowning and turning yellow. I've been selling stuff out of my garage, and just getting out of the house to eat lunch around 11. The rain won't stop. The forecast says it may end on Thursday. I have to eat less too, or i'll get heavy real quick, because I'm not burning the calories. It's a battle with weight. I'm ready to get sore and grimy. Bring it.

weeze
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
it's rained 2 weeks straight here. the temps went up to 75 degrees one day. i thought the grass was gonna start growing lol. it's gonna be back down to the 30s this week though. alabama is like a box of chocolates. you never know what you gonna get.

skorum03
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I'll take spring any time too. Being a small lawn care operation/college student I am damn near broke right now just because it hasn't been snowing. I plow with a local company but that does me no good when it won't snow anything more than just a few flurries.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

lawnkingforever
01-14-2013, 01:10 PM
I just finished my last clean ups a few weeks ago. Not even thinking about spring yet. I am heading down to Florida in a couple weeks for a long over due vacation. Been hitting the weights and treadmill pretty hard and hanging with my kids. Do not even want to look at a mower. Unfortunately I have to take take the grandstand in to the dealer for some work, I don't even want to hook up my trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
it's rained 2 weeks straight here. the temps went up to 75 degrees one day. i thought the grass was gonna start growing lol. it's gonna be back down to the 30s this week though. alabama is like a box of chocolates. you never know what you gonna get.

I started out the year good, this week is looking like a complete "WASH"

Jimslawncareservice
01-14-2013, 01:26 PM
All you grumbling about rain, wait til summer when you'll be complaining about lack of rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not ready for spring.

Jimslawncareservice
01-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Good thing its slow. I'm in the ER
Posted via Mobile Device

arl250
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
not sure im ready for spring yet but I would like to get a nice week or so to catch up on a few landscaping jobs and a last minute clean up call... then let the snow fall! Knee deep!

lawnprosteveo
01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Im ready for the mowing money to start coming in...and ready for baseball season. Im also praying this two year, ball-busting drought and record heat will be over this year.

hi_speedreed
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I got some cabin fever, lol. Even when we get some nice days the ground is so sloppy wet that you can't do anything. Probably head up Dad's and do some rabbit hunting and maybe take a trip to the mountains to do some trout fishing. Other than that, I am bored outta my mind. Can't wait to get the blades spinning again.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
I am sick of winter and ready to get my butt kicked by clean ups and hot weather.
Posted via Mobile Device

Already? Heck we haven't even had hardly any winter yet. Most of our snow is gone. Looks like early April around here. For droughts sake, we REALLY need a bunch more snow this winter. Another early, hot spring followed by no rain would be a disaster, like last year.

Jimslawncareservice
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Already? Heck we haven't even had hardly any winter yet. Most of our snow is gone. Looks like early April around here. For droughts sake, we REALLY need a bunch more snow this winter. Another early, hot spring followed by no rain would be a disaster, like last year.

Well since there's no snow and cold, well kind of, I'm ready for warmth and working. Only 3 snows in 2 months is boring.
Posted via Mobile Device

ELS Landscape
01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I would say we are about 3 weeks into winter.

Jimslawncareservice
01-14-2013, 04:53 PM
And this about all the snow we had last year. We need about 300" to catch up to the water table we had when I was growing up.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
All you grumbling about rain, wait til summer when you'll be complaining about lack of rain.
Posted via Mobile Device

that's how it is. rains when you don't need it and doesn't rain when you need it. :laugh:

it would be awesome if it rained two weeks straight in august. instead we hardly get a drop lol.

Jimslawncareservice
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
that's how it is. rains when you don't need it and doesn't rain when you need it. :laugh:

it would be awesome if it rained two weeks straight in august. instead we hardly get a drop lol.

What o don't understand is when the weather guy says that the ground and area are so moist its hard to get out of the cycle then WHAM its stops and you hardly get any after and vice versa with it being too dry.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Warm here, snow is all melted except some plow piles and I don't think the ground is even frozen. I was thinking of getting started on job ripping out wood mulch, putting in edging and crushed stone. Can't sit around doing nothing hoping it will snow.....

zechstoker
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
I'm enjoying my work this time of year. Mowing all my accounts once every two weeks, been doing leaf cleanups during the non mowing weeks, and filling in the gaps in the schedule with tree pruning jobs. Hoping to pick up a good amount of new accounts this spring. We could use the additional revenue.

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Season here is pretty much April to December and plowing IF it snows inbetween that...got one plowable storm so far.

94gt331
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
I cant wait till mid march so we can get started on cleanups. My bank account is dissapering fast right now trying to keep the bills paid and get some new equiptment and maint ready for next season. It's the same every year. In the meantime I'm praying for snow and I've been cutting firewood so I can have some income for next winter.

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Firewood isn't a bad idea...I have stuff laying all over my property from 2 hurricanes, but it's a lot of work for not all that much money.

skorum03
01-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Firewood isn't a bad idea...I have stuff laying all over my property from 2 hurricanes, but it's a lot of work for not all that much money.

What do you guys charge for a cord of split and dried wood? And what do you use? Oak?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

94gt331
01-14-2013, 06:22 PM

It is deffinately alot of work for little money, but I look at it as I can go find the wood and cut it off my wooded property and friends properties for just my time and next winter it's there to make some extra money. It's not much money but it gives me something to do while I'm not doing anything else. And I hate sitting around.

94gt331
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
What do you guys charge for a cord of split and dried wood? And what do you use? Oak?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
I sell by my 8 ft dump bed insert $125 a load its alittle under a cord. Mixed hardwood of what I can find.

Darryl G
01-14-2013, 06:35 PM
I was selling nice road oak trunk wood for $225/cord but I've been down to private stock for a year or so now so haven't sold any. I let a neighbor do some clearing of some big oaks that were shading the solar panels they put up...the reduced efficiency was gonna cost them on their rebates. I don't own a splitter and my access to one is pretty spotty so I haven't really gotten into firewood that much, but I have 30+ wooded acres and like I mentioned a lot of stuff down from 2 hurricanes.

agrostis
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
My elderly neighbor was telling me about his grandfather selling some firewood in the late 1800's. That man got ten cent's and one dinner for a split and stacked cord. And all of this was done with a manual saw and a axe. I told my neighbor that story would live on.

pseudosun
01-14-2013, 07:32 PM
In reference to cutting wood for little money. So what. I see it as "better than zero", AND you get some exercise. Atleast you don't have to work for someone else during downtime. Take pride in that. I do all kinds of odd jobs, and explore ideas during winter. Some flop, some pay very little, and every once in a while, i'll score:) Most recently i bought some digital cameras off ebay around 1 am, when fewer people were bidding. I'll make a little profit. I really can't do anything outdoors. Starting a popular forum and selling advertising would be great too:)