PDA

View Full Version : New truck vs used truck

Schrock Lawns
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
So I'm at a Delima I need a bigger truck I was lookig at a new one a 2013 Chevy 3500 duramax for 30k with tradein or their was a few used truck I was looking at in the 5-12 k range with 100k+ miles what I'm asking is should I finance the new truck at 0%for 60 months or should I just go the used truck way and pay cash and not have the reliability of a new truck
Posted via Mobile Device

hi_speedreed
01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
I buy new. It is just a personal preference. I like the idea that nobody has ever driven that truck but me. I realize I am paying for that.

With the economy in the state it is in, trucks are not losing their value like they once were, but your dollar is. Financing at 0% is a great tool because you are locking in the value of your dollar.

I only like financing when you can get 0% otherwise I would pay cash. I would definitely buy new now over used because people are not trading in trucks with 20k miles and when dealers get them they are not selling them at a big discount when compared to new. Also, used do not qualify for 0%, so when you add in the interest you must pay on a used truck, you are better off buying new. Around here, trucks with 100kmi are still in the 18k-25k price range.

Now if you are willing, I have heard that in areas out west you can find great deals on lightly used trucks. I know a guy here in WV that flew to Idaho to buy his truck and drove it back here. Even with the added travel expense he saved thousands over what dealers here were charging for comparable trucks.

lawnprosteveo
01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
I dont like debt, but I bought my F250 new in '03. I got it with the intention of keeping it as long as possible. It now has 150K on it and has been trouble free. So I would say buy new if you can and keep it as long as you can once its paid for.

hi_speedreed
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
I dont like debt, but I bought my F250 new in '03. I got it with the intention of keeping it as long as possible. It now has 150K on it and has been trouble free. So I would say buy new if you can and keep it as long as you can once its paid for.

I second this opinion. When I bought my new truck in 2011, I meant to keep it until it fell apart. I am not a fan of irresponsible debt. People who take on debt they knew they couldn't afford are very irresponsible. You shouldn't buy something knowing you are going to have to only eat ramen noodles every night until you get it paid off. It is not sustainable. It is just like losing weight. You can't say, I am never going to eat unhealthy food again because it is not sustainable. You have family get togethers, birthday parties, anniversaries...Life happens and you have to learn to roll with it if you want success in anything you do. Don't paint yourself into a corner.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Find a good used truck with 50-60k on it, put the cash down on that one and have a very quick payoff. I'm a big fan of buying used, let someone else take the hit on the sticker! My last truck was used by a homeowner to pull a camper. The truck looked new but didn't cost like it.

larryinalabama
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I alaways figured a 5to10K truck cuts grass just as good as a 30to50k truck.

Richard Martin
01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm in the process of buying a 2007 Chevy with 59k miles. It will replace my 1995 F150 that also had 59k miles on it when I bought it back in 1999. I'm paying the same price, but at a significantly lower interest rate for the Chevy. The interest rate is so low that I don't know why they even bother but whatever.

hi_speedreed
01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Find a good used truck with 50-60k on it, put the cash down on that one and have a very quick payoff. I'm a big fan of buying used, let someone else take the hit on the sticker! My last truck was used by a homeowner to pull a camper. The truck looked new but didn't cost like it.

That sounds great but where are those trucks? I am not arguing with you. You were right a few years ago and you would still be right if you could find that deal today. I know they are out there but they are getting so hard to find. The hit on the sticker is disappearing until you get to a truck that is so beat up I would be scared to rely on it for my business.

Here is a link to the value of my truck if I was to go to a lot and find it as it sits now. If you don't want click the link the expected retail for my truck used right now is 39,650! That is more than I paid for it two years ago.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/Toyota/Tundra-Double-Cab-V8/Limited-4WD/Values

And here is a link to my truck if it had 50k miles and that is still more than I paid for it new.

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/tundra-double-cab/2011-toyota-tundra-double-cab/limited-pickup-4d-6-1-2-ft/?vehicleid=358837&intent=buy-used&mileage=50000&options=4444396|true|4434266|true|4444403|true|4510092|true|4444376|true&condition=excellent&pricetype=cpo

Yes, it would be great to buy used if you could find a decent truck at a decent price but I am just not seeing it. I used to only buy used. My first 3 trucks were used.

Also, besides being cheaper, new qualifies for 0% while used does not. The math just does not make sense now for buying used. Guys are keeping their trucks for 100k+ miles and only trading them in when they start being a headache. I for one do not want to inherit a headache.

Schrock Lawns
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
a truck with 50-100k miles here will be almost 20 grand for a 2500-3500where i could spend 10k more to get a brrand spanking new 3500

Groomer
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a used 99 F150 4sale/w only 84g on the mileage in the marketplace section.

McG_Landscaping
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
How are you going to get a loan at the age of 14?

Pressedun
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
So I'm at a Delima I need a bigger truck I was lookig at a new one a 2013 Chevy 3500 duramax for 30k with tradein or their was a few used truck I was looking at in the 5-12 k range with 100k+ miles what I'm asking is should I finance the new truck at 0%for 60 months or should I just go the used truck way and pay cash and not have the reliability of a new truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, that's quite the delima right their.

Schrock Lawns
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Well my dad who owns the company till I'm 18 would get it and no I wouldent drive it
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I prolly wouldent driv it eether.

LandFakers
01-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Do you really need a 3500? And when you say trade in your truck do you mean your dads?

Schrock Lawns
01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
I don't need a 3500 a 2500 would work but I plan in the next few years to get a gooseneck and no he would keep his 1500 and we have a family SUV we would trade in
Posted via Mobile Device

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
That sounds great but where are those trucks? I am not arguing with you. You were right a few years ago and you would still be right if you could find that deal today. I know they are out there but they are getting so hard to find. The hit on the sticker is disappearing until you get to a truck that is so beat up I would be scared to rely on it for my business.

Here is a link to the value of my truck if I was to go to a lot and find it as it sits now. If you don't want click the link the expected retail for my truck used right now is 39,650! That is more than I paid for it two years ago.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/Toyota/Tundra-Double-Cab-V8/Limited-4WD/Values

And here is a link to my truck if it had 50k miles and that is still more than I paid for it new.

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/tundra-double-cab/2011-toyota-tundra-double-cab/limited-pickup-4d-6-1-2-ft/?vehicleid=358837&intent=buy-used&mileage=50000&options=4444396|true|4434266|true|4444403|true|4510092|true|4444376|true&condition=excellent&pricetype=cpo

Yes, it would be great to buy used if you could find a decent truck at a decent price but I am just not seeing it. I used to only buy used. My first 3 trucks were used.

Also, besides being cheaper, new qualifies for 0% while used does not. The math just does not make sense now for buying used. Guys are keeping their trucks for 100k+ miles and only trading them in when they start being a headache. I for one do not want to inherit a headache.

My first truck, bought 8 years ago, is a 99 silverado 4x4 1/2 ton with 83k on it. Came with a western 7.5 ft plow. Paid 9k and used the truck full time for 6 years pulling a 7x16 enclosed in the summer and plowing winters in Erie PA. Now that truck is the primary plow truck and my 07 2500HD 4x4 is the plow back up. The 07 had 60k on it when I bought it for 19k, that is a savings around 11-13k.
Other than regular maintenance, the 99 has probably cost about 500 dollars a year in repairs. This coming summer will be the 3rd for the 07 and so far no repairs needed. I expect keeping the 07 parked for as many winters as possible will add many more years than I get from the 99. I'm a big fan of buying quality used and running them as long as possible.

herler
01-16-2013, 04:16 PM
It's really a no brainer, with payments even at 0% interest it costs more.

So long I got the money to pay cash for it, I get what I can afford.

BrunoT
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
It's a crapshoot. I had a Chevy 2500 where the transmission died and the radiator also had to be replaced within a month of the warranty expiration. Dodged a bullet.

6 weeks later I'd have had a repair worth 60% of the value of the truck.

711SnoPro
01-18-2013, 08:45 PM
With my families business (not lawncare) we just traded a 08 2500 crew cab dmax Chevy with 172k in on a 13 3500 crew cab dmax for 25k to boot. We will run them until about 170-180k then trade them. Used low mileage pickups, IF you could find one were only about 5-8k less than a brand new one...no brainer for us anyways.

herler
01-19-2013, 01:11 AM
We're not buying apples at the store.
If we were I'd give you a $10 and tell you to get some already.
We are buying an automobile, one of life's major expenses.
It is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly.

Among the research involved you'll need to find out how much insurance is going to cost you.
Just for example, insurance on an F-350 is likely going to be higher than on an F-250.
At your age, commercially, we're looking at well north of a thousand dollars a year.
That is why this type of research is important.
A per-mile cost might narrow it down, but you have to know upfront what you're getting yourself into, guaranteed a vehicle costs three to four times more than just the fuel that goes in the tank, then it will need maintenance.
All these things you need to consider and be full and well aware of, long before you buy it.

More than a few people do not understand how to valuate a used vehicle, many more seem to think that it involves haggling regardless of the sticker price. Most used vehicles for sale are overpriced, and a long ways too, this hasn't changed and likely never will.
Some even think it costs more today than it did when they bought it new.

These are all people from whom I would not buy a vehicle.
Why, because I don't purchase items from folks who don't know what they are selling.

Fact is there exist so many used vehicles on the market.
The easiest way to ascertain the vehicle is to take an honest approach to the vehicle's condition, and take down all pertinent information, then plug the information in to a Blue Book price calculator and there you will have the price you are looking for.
The Blue Book price of a vehicle is what the vehicle is worth, assuming all is exactly as described.
It's not what the seller thinks or whether it's red or look how pretty it shines, cars are tools.
An automobile is worth what the Blue Book value of the vehicle states it is.
Some vehicles for sale have the actual Blue Book price on the sticker.
Very few do, most are anywhere from slightly to severely over priced.
But those few that are out there, bring cash, all of it.
Don't haggle with people asking for the right price.
You can try and get a little off, but bring ALL the asking money.
Assuming the test drive and all of that ascertains there aren't any major defects...
If you purchase a vehicle that fits the Blue Book value, at least you're getting what it's worth.
It is a smart purchase, an automobile is ultimately a tool.

hi_speedreed
01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
We're not buying apples at the store.
If we were I'd give you a $10 and tell you to get some already.
We are buying an automobile, one of life's major expenses.
It is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly.

Among the research involved you'll need to find out how much insurance is going to cost you.
Just for example, insurance on an F-350 is likely going to be higher than on an F-250.
At your age, commercially, we're looking at well north of a thousand dollars a year.
That is why this type of research is important.
A per-mile cost might narrow it down, but you have to know upfront what you're getting yourself into, guaranteed a vehicle costs three to four times more than just the fuel that goes in the tank, then it will need maintenance.
All these things you need to consider and be full and well aware of, long before you buy it.

More than a few people do not understand how to valuate a used vehicle, many more seem to think that it involves haggling regardless of the sticker price. Most used vehicles for sale are overpriced, and a long ways too, this hasn't changed and likely never will.
Some even think it costs more today than it did when they bought it new.

These are all people from whom I would not buy a vehicle.
Why, because I don't purchase items from folks who don't know what they are selling.

Fact is there exist so many used vehicles on the market.
The easiest way to ascertain the vehicle is to take an honest approach to the vehicle's condition, and take down all pertinent information, then plug the information in to a Blue Book price calculator and there you will have the price you are looking for.
The Blue Book price of a vehicle is what the vehicle is worth, assuming all is exactly as described.
It's not what the seller thinks or whether it's red or look how pretty it shines, cars are tools.
An automobile is worth what the Blue Book value of the vehicle states it is.
Some vehicles for sale have the actual Blue Book price on the sticker.
Very few do, most are anywhere from slightly to severely over priced.
But those few that are out there, bring cash, all of it.
Don't haggle with people asking for the right price.
You can try and get a little off, but bring ALL the asking money.
Assuming the test drive and all of that ascertains there aren't any major defects...
If you purchase a vehicle that fits the Blue Book value, at least you're getting what it's worth.
It is a smart purchase, an automobile is ultimately a tool.

Apparently you just glossed over my post. I provided links. Even your Blue Book price is linked in my previous post. The Blue Book price for my truck used, as it sits today, is more than I paid for it new.

Richard Martin
01-19-2013, 05:24 AM

Two thoughts on this...

1) A vehicle's value is exactly how much an individual is willing to pay for that vehicle. It has nothing to do with some arbitrary numbers written by people with insurance companies in mind. Insurance companies love KBB because they are the supposed "experts" in vehicle valuing. KBB also always under values just about every car in their lists. This is a huge plus for insurance companies.

2) Good luck getting me to sell my Mustang for the KBB value.

orangemower
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Two thoughts on this...

1) A vehicle's value is exactly how much an individual is willing to pay for that vehicle. It has nothing to do with some arbitrary numbers written by people with insurance companies in mind. Insurance companies love KBB because they are the supposed "experts" in vehicle valuing. KBB also always under values just about every car in their lists. This is a huge plus for insurance companies.

2) Good luck getting me to sell my Mustang for the KBB value.
I'll go $2k and no more. After all, it is a Ford. :laugh:

LandFakers
01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Insurance for my son is more than 3 grand a year.... It's rediculous, and he only drives a rusty old dodge, not a 2013 Chevy 3500

Richard Martin
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I'll go $2k and no more. After all, it is a Ford. :laugh:

Well, that's only a little less than the KBB value.

Groomer
01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
just picked up this "used" 2011. Only 6g on the odometer. Bought under retail after a month on the internet. It pays to take your time and shop, even if you gotta go out-of-state.

jrs.landscaping
01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Buying leftover trucks saves money because dealers want to offload them. We bought our 08 350 for 30k, we get calls from the dealership wanting to buy it back for 26k because there is such a demand for used trucks.

Schrock Lawns
01-19-2013, 11:19 PM
I won't be under the insurance it'll be the company Insurance which is under my step dad you guys all had good points Im thing as of right now I might get a new 2500 gasser and use that for mowing and eventually get a 3500
Posted via Mobile Device