PDA

View Full Version : How do you stay organized?!

dabears8430
01-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Hello, I'm still trying to figure out the best method to stay organized come Spring time when the calls roll in. I try to categorize all the phone calls I need to make, one time jobs I get hired for, estimates I need to give/ wait to hear back from, and new client information in different sections in a notebook until I get home and throw it on the computer.

I feel like there is an easier method to keep all this information together. Last year I made another list and broke down the jobs I had in each neighborhood so I planned accordingly not to waste gas, have the right equipment with me, and made sure I left enough time to knock out as much as possible in a certain neighborhood.

What do you guys do to stay organized come the Spring fever?

Thanks in advance

LandFakers
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
When I get a call, I write it down in my notebook with all the info I need. I will cross out their name after I have given them an estimate for the work and put their info into my system. I'm not sure there is a better way.
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Last few years this has been a struggle, but this year it will all be entered and scheduled by software. Takes awhile getting everything setup but REALLY going to make things run easier. Service Autopilot.

Jason

DanaMac
01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
I have gotten bad in the last couple years at procrastinating and not writing down what I need to do. This weekend I buckled down and created an Excel spreadsheet for all my current "to do's", which include getting W2s ready, 4th quarter taxes, bids I need to put together, get tax info together for accountant, etc, etc. I now have 158 items on my list, and growing. I created a column for priority, and color code it, and a column for a due date. Trying to bust out this list as soon as possible. Did 4 items yesterday.

During the year, I have four sheets on my wall at the office, that itemize different monthly "to do's" - vehicle and equipment registrations, monthly and quarterly taxes, update this and that, get equipment serviced in September, when my workers comp and general insurance audits are due, when to send out postcards, and so forth.

I've also just signed up for Hindsite Software for better scheduling and quicker invoicing through the company.

Nj shade
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
I keep a notebook with me at all times and write down all info from call. Not the best method but works great for myself as I know where all the info is right away.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I have a little fat notebook that job notes go into and stay forever. I always have that book and one lasts about two years, so easy to reference back. I also keep the last full book with me and have gone back 3-4 years when going back to a property. I keep extensive notes on each job. Then I have a written weekly schedule. When I get a call to look at a new property, I write it on the schedule where it fits best to stop.

Nate'sLawnCare
01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Try a tablet. You can put notes on it wherever you are, then sync it with your computer when it's convenient.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weekend cut easymoney
01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Outlook is indispensable for me,it allows to make to do lists and has a calender which can set up reminders ....e-mails can be prioritized,you can set up customer email lists and send invites to people allowing them to put important dates on their calendar...best money spent...also one note in the same bundle as ms office...
Posted via Mobile Device

T Scapes
01-20-2013, 07:38 PM
I keep a small notebook in my truck so if i get a call i take down there name phone number and addresses and what type of work they want done. Each night if i get any calls, i have an excel spreadsheet where i put all the information. The spread sheet is strictly for people looking for estimates. Once i get a price i have a row for my estimate. Once i get a decision from them i enter it all into groundskeeper. Ill delete it off estimate spreadsheet then.

Monroe74
01-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Notebook to smartphone to computer
Take notes while on phone then copy to phone them sync to computer. Schedule using calendars on computer and phone.

Steiner
01-20-2013, 10:36 PM
We developed a system.

1. CALL: Call comes in. Instantly get out our estimate sheet. Fill in all details including names addresses, work requested, location etc. When to meet.

2. SCANNING:Estimate sheet gets scanned to PDF and uploaded to evernote to a shared customer file. Appointment date/time/location is added to iPhones which shares it to all computers/phones/tablets. Paper copy is hole punched and placed in office binder.

3. Pre-meeting: Estimator reviews file a few minutes before client meeting to review important information.

4. Meeting is had and more info is added to customer file and estimate is generated and placed in customer file as well as emailed to them. Pictures and notes as well as audio recording are added with ipad to evernote file.

5. Get the job and the file is continually updated. Price and job info is added as well as other jobs that need to be done on property for next time. If we do not get the job we place the estimate paper in a second section in the binder for lost jobs and follow up with a call asking for feedback. Customer file is kept digitally because many times people come back after our feedback step.