PDA

View Full Version : PJ dump trickle charge not working, hardwiring to truck?

pitrack
01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys I have had my PJ dump trailer for probably 5-6 years and noticed the trickle charge that it's supposed to have is not quite working anymore and I've heard this has happened to a few people with PJ dumps.

Place local to me that sells them says they have been installing basically a wire from the trailer to either the truck battery or alternator, I'm not really sure, so the trailer dumps off the truck. And they would charge me $500 to do it.

Was wondering if anyone has done this or know what I should do?

Is it as simple as hooking something to the battery terminals on the trailer and run them to a plug then hook wires to the battery on the truck and run that to a plug in the back then just plug into each other when I'm pulling the trailer?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Kepple Services
01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Its easy to do, I did it years ago on a dump trailer I had. I ran a 4Ga wire off the battery, with a 150amp fuse, to a heavy duty 2 conductor plug and a corresponding plug off the batteru terminals on the trailer battery. I also got a better ground on the trailer doing this. Its a plug similar to the ones used on tow trucks.

I used one similar to this one.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/forklifts-attachments/chargers-connectors/sb-smh-connector-10-12-wire-gauge-50-amp-gray?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Chargers-Connectors-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CMPPws7A67QCFQiqnQodZT8AAg

knox gsl
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Its easy to do, I did it years ago on a dump trailer I had. I ran a 4Ga wire off the battery, with a 150amp fuse, to a heavy duty 2 conductor plug and a corresponding plug off the batteru terminals on the trailer battery. I also got a better ground on the trailer doing this. Its a plug similar to the ones used on tow trucks.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/forklifts-attachments/chargers-connectors/sb-smh-connector-10-12-wire-gauge-50-amp-gray?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Chargers-Connectors-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CMPPws7A67QCFQiqnQodZT8AAg

What he said, you may also want to check the condition of the trailer battery, 5+ years old and its most likely shot.

pitrack
01-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys!

I replaced the original battery probably 1-2 years ago and it lasted maybe a year and I had to start charging it to get it to dump heavy loads. I will try the hardwire, any idea if I can get that kind of plug at a local hardware store or anything?

knox gsl
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Check a welding supply or industrial forklift supply.
Posted via Mobile Device

pitrack
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Is it a problem to run a 150amp fuse when that plug says it's rated for 50? Do you think I need that large of a wire (4ga)?

Thanks again

knox gsl
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
4 gauge at 12 volts should be fused for 150 amps near the battery on both ends.
Posted via Mobile Device

pitrack
01-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I will do that. I just worry about that type of connector and having water get into it when it is under my truck while I am driving with no trailer. I guess I could get an additional plug and plug that into it when my trailer is not connected.

ecurbthims
01-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I wouldnt run any smaller wire than that ,and would probably run something like a 4/0 if it was mine ,but it gets pricey for real wire .Theres another style plug available ,its round like a transport trailer plug,but only has one huge connector in the centre ,they are used to power transport trailers with lift gates .You can get them at a truck supply place ,and they are designed for exactly what your doing .

knox gsl
01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
If you are keeping the battery on the trailer use 10 gauge wiring and a 40 amp fuse. This will be much cheaper and is plenty to charge a battery.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
you could also run a battery disconnect switch

pitrack
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I wouldnt run any smaller wire than that ,and would probably run something like a 4/0 if it was mine ,but it gets pricey for real wire .Theres another style plug available ,its round like a transport trailer plug,but only has one huge connector in the centre ,they are used to power transport trailers with lift gates .You can get them at a truck supply place ,and they are designed for exactly what your doing .

If I go this route do you think I could get by with just running a hot wire from my truck and no ground since the trailer should already be grounded?

ecurbthims
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
the 10 guage might charge the battery,but it would not help at all if the battery in the trailer gets run down and is counting on the trucks battery to dump the load .Also,depending on how much run time between dumping the battery might not be charged well enough with the little wire .

ecurbthims
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM
checkout a philiips 15-335 plug ,and yes,if you have a good ground through your hitch etc,you will be fine .

pitrack
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Ended up getting one of these in a male and female, then two caps. Hopefully they will work and keep everything waterproof. I also got two 175amp fuses one for each battery end.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=2xb25&op=search&Ntt=2xb25&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset

Kepple Services
01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
I would not count on the ground being the best going through the ball.. Many wiring issues are caused by bad grounds on trailers, and with the amperage that a 4gauge wire can hold things will be getting hot FAST. The plug I showed you is not affected much by weather and carries both the ground and hot leads. You bolt the ground leads to the frame of the truck and the trailer and have a bullet proof ground at that point. The 150 amp fuse is only for overload protection, If you blow it something BAD happened but prevented a fire that a dead shoted 4gause wire WILL cause.

pitrack
01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
I would not count on the ground being the best going through the ball.. Many wiring issues are caused by bad grounds on trailers, and with the amperage that a 4gauge wire can hold things will be getting hot FAST. The plug I showed you is not affected much by weather and carries both the ground and hot leads. You bolt the ground leads to the frame of the truck and the trailer and have a bullet proof ground at that point. The 150 amp fuse is only for overload protection, If you blow it something BAD happened but prevented a fire that a dead shoted 4gause wire WILL cause.

Hmm so now I'm not sure how I will make the connector work that I just bought. The one you posted looks like it could get corroded rather quick sitting behind the bumper of my truck when it is not connected. It's also only made for a 10-12 gauge wire. I'm not sure how I would make that work with a 4 gauge.

pitrack
01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
I guess I'm just confused as to why the ground on the trailer battery wouldn't be a good enough ground, If I am just running from the positive on my truck to that same battery that has the neg grounded to the trailer, with a 175amp fuse inline by my truck battery as well as the trailer battery. Obviously I am not a genius when it comes to this type of stuff but am I missing something?

Kepple Services
01-16-2013, 08:20 PM
I have had that connector for a long time exposed to the elements, and no ill effects. They are also mounted on the front bumpers of many road service and tow trucks so they can jump cars easily without having to open the hoods of the service vehicle. The ground is between the trailer and the truck, when you run a 12V lead from the truck to the trailer it makes them a complete circuit between the two. If the connection for the ground between the truck and trailer isnt that good (rusty ball or trailer cup) then there is a lot of reistance in the circuit. When you raise the resistance of a circuit and the voltage remains the same, then the current on the circuit must go up to compensate and this builds heat into the wire. The plug I showed you may not be the EXACT one you need, just a representaion of what I used. I just did a real quick google search.

pitrack
01-16-2013, 08:43 PM
I understand. Hmm, well I wonder if I can "squeeze" a 4ga wire into that hookup. Probably not the best idea. I'll see if I can find a bigger connector and try to return the ones I just bought.

Thanks man
Posted via Mobile Device

Kepple Services
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Here is another connector, its for winches. Uses 4 gauge wire, and also has plugs to cover the connector when not in use.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/superwinch-2236/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CNnErLe17rQCFQWonQodXnIAxQ

Again, just a quick google search.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140764274126?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Superwinch/SW2236.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMTQmP617rQCFQq0nQodlCAANw

I found these connectors locally, but cant remember where. I didnt have the dust covers for mine, but since this seems to be an issue for you get these. I am in FLA so I dont have to deal with snow and what not...

pitrack
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Here is another connector, its for winches. Uses 4 gauge wire, and also has plugs to cover the connector when not in use.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/superwinch-2236/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CNnErLe17rQCFQWonQodXnIAxQ

Again, just a quick google search.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140764274126?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Superwinch/SW2236.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMTQmP617rQCFQq0nQodlCAANw

I found these connectors locally, but cant remember where. I didnt have the dust covers for mine, but since this seems to be an issue for you get these. I am in FLA so I dont have to deal with snow and what not...

Hey thanks man, I'm going to try a few more local places tomorrow morning but if I can't come up with anything I will order the ones with the dust covers online.

Salt and debris does wonders on our trucks not to mention the underside of them.

Thanks again

PlantscapeSolutions
01-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Did you take a multi meter to the charger to make sure it's still functioning at 100%?

pitrack
01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Did you take a multi meter to the charger to make sure it's still functioning at 100%?

Honestly I'm not even sure where the charger is at. I'm assuming it doesn't work since I'm having the problems. Guys that sell PJ locally here say its a common problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Honestly I'm not even sure where the charger is at. I'm assuming it doesn't work since I'm having the problems. Guys that sell PJ locally here say its a common problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 20' PJ Dump trailer myself. I would think chargers would only be good for a few years before they start to go south.

grandview (2006)
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I have PJ dump, didn't read everything on this thread,but do it charge only when hooked up to the truck and charge when running? If so,how much of a charge are you going to get running so little. You could pick up a solar battery charger and hook it up to the trailer battery to keep a full charge in it.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
I have PJ dump, didn't read everything on this thread,but do it charge only when hooked up to the truck and charge when running? If so,how much of a charge are you going to get running so little. You could pick up a solar battery charger and hook it up to the trailer battery to keep a full charge in it.

If you buy a charger with a trickle charge setting it will greatly extend the life of your batteries. My trailer has two batteries.

pitrack
01-20-2013, 05:55 PM

Yes I would believe it only charges when I am driving and the trailer is hooked up. There are many many times when the trailer is hooked up to my truck (running) for over an hour. Even after charging the battery overnight to a full charge it still can't dump more than 2-3 times without needing another charge.

If you buy a charger with a trickle charge setting it will greatly extend the life of your batteries. My trailer has two batteries.

I just get sick of taking the battery out of the trailer every night to charge it. (I don't park the trailer close to power so I can't just hook the charger up when it's still in the trailer).

grandview (2006)
01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes I would believe it only charges when I am driving and the trailer is hooked up. There are many many times when the trailer is hooked up to my truck (running) for over an hour. Even after charging the battery overnight to a full charge it still can't dump more than 2-3 times without needing another charge.

I just get sick of taking the battery out of the trailer every night to charge it. (I don't park the trailer close to power so I can't just hook the charger up when it's still in the trailer).

Like this.

http://www.powersshop.com/bmz_cache/1/15b7e5e2473e5675f39154193bec8405.image.600x450.jpg

materialmovers
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
I just went through this about 2 months ago. I haul more with my dump trailer more than maybe I should, but its what I have and I am not buying a dump truck yet. It's a PJ and its at 2011. I was having problems with my battery and I took it into my local battery/alternator shop and had it load tested and its charging amps were half of what it should be. I had sulfated the plate from using a trickle charger and not getting a deep cycle charge(charged after every use, but trickle charger didnt have enough amp/hr to charge a deep cycle over night). When I bought the trailer 5 to 6 loads were common, after a year I was down to 4 and by this fall I was down to 3. The shop suggested that I run jumper cable wire with a battery isolator in it to make sure I didn't have any troubles smoking my alternator or worse. Same forklift style plugs that have been shown on here. I ran the wire and got it all cut and set up and then took it back and the soldered all the ends and put that heat shrink wrap on them all. Total was $422 from them and my time, well worth it! Seems to not struggle so bad. I was starting in on hauling 150 loads of topsoil in for a contractor with it before it snowed and it was working great. I know it seems silly, but its busy work through the winter, since no snow for 20ish days and none in long range. Feel free to ask it you have anymore questions.

pitrack
01-20-2013, 11:53 PM
I just went through this about 2 months ago. I haul more with my dump trailer more than maybe I should, but its what I have and I am not buying a dump truck yet. It's a PJ and its at 2011. I was having problems with my battery and I took it into my local battery/alternator shop and had it load tested and its charging amps were half of what it should be. I had sulfated the plate from using a trickle charger and not getting a deep cycle charge(charged after every use, but trickle charger didnt have enough amp/hr to charge a deep cycle over night). When I bought the trailer 5 to 6 loads were common, after a year I was down to 4 and by this fall I was down to 3. The shop suggested that I run jumper cable wire with a battery isolator in it to make sure I didn't have any troubles smoking my alternator or worse. Same forklift style plugs that have been shown on here. I ran the wire and got it all cut and set up and then took it back and the soldered all the ends and put that heat shrink wrap on them all. Total was $422 from them and my time, well worth it! Seems to not struggle so bad. I was starting in on hauling 150 loads of topsoil in for a contractor with it before it snowed and it was working great. I know it seems silly, but its busy work through the winter, since no snow for 20ish days and none in long range. Feel free to ask it you have anymore questions.

That's what I was planning on doing! Except I was just going to run from my truck batter, fused on both ends, instead of from my alternator.

My did the same thing, when I first got it I could dump all day now I am lucky if I get 2-3 before it needs a charge.

711SnoPro
01-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Had the same problems with our pj gooseneck dump we use for snow. Wired in 1 gauge wires to one of the batteries with a 150 amp fuse and did the plug in on the bumper and it was the best thing ever. Before that I was putting a gas generator in the pickup box with a charger plugged in to keep the stupid battery charged haha

On my new pickup I had the guys that put the gooseneck hitch on do the same thing except had them put the power plugin for the hydraulic motor right by the 7 way plug in the box for the gn trailer wiring. I was starting to have corrosion problems even with a cover on it so putting it in the box should keep it clean. I can try to get a pic tomorrow.

pitrack
01-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Had the same problems with our pj gooseneck dump we use for snow. Wired in 1 gauge wires to one of the batteries with a 150 amp fuse and did the plug in on the bumper and it was the best thing ever. Before that I was putting a gas generator in the pickup box with a charger plugged in to keep the stupid battery charged haha

On my new pickup I had the guys that put the gooseneck hitch on do the same thing except had them put the power plugin for the hydraulic motor right by the 7 way plug in the box for the gn trailer wiring. I was starting to have corrosion problems even with a cover on it so putting it in the box should keep it clean. I can try to get a pic tomorrow.

Good to hear! Did you hook up a ground as well or just run a power wire from your battery?

Pics would be great.

pitrack
01-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Any luck with pics?