PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Box Vac and Dust

locallawncare.ca
01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Just wondering if anyone has gotten any complaints about the dust coming out the top of the leaf loader and landing on the neighboring houses/cars/people, etc. I mainly work in suburbs where neighbors are close and nosy. Any information on venting tips/locations/size would be appreciated, I will be building one for next year and just want to plan ahead. I haven't used one but have seen lots of pics where there is a ton of dust pouring out the top, I know if its dry it will be more dusty then wet, but any tips would help.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Due to warranty issues with the new debris loader we purchased last season, I have been researching purchasing a new one and found Scag's Giant Vac site. I think the tubing on this Giant Vac might be helpful in stopping some of the dust issues by pointing the tube down. Using two mesh tarps might help curtail the dust as well.

http://www.giant-vac.com/industrial_tow_behind.php

Kelly's Landscaping
01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I broke 2 ribs on that damn tubing about 30 days ago wrestling it on to the vac where it was met with a lot of resistance. It doesn't help with the dust either way. The screens is where it comes from but the vacs need to breath. I double up the screens on one and mesh tarps on the other. It helps a lot over single screened vents but the dust is still an issue. The way around that which we don't do is on some heavier town versions and on them they have water tanks and spray water into the exit tube as it vacs there by wetting down the dust before it gets into the box. Looks cool but we will probably just blow off the neighbors vehicles when we are done same as our trucks.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Plus dust means the machine is doing it's job well. maybe a machine with a smaller engine would cut down dust.

lawnrich
01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
You can also blow dust of with a backpack blower unless it's wet out.

SDLandscapes VT
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
This design has helped us--sadly this photo is generation 1 an generation 2 though similar fixed a number of bugs.http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/182522_10151313927204789_32467496_n.jpg

lawnrich
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
S and D Your rig is great does the roll off allow you to get a lot more use out of the truck. I like that you used more of a chipper setup for the roof instead of a mesh tarp. How's the monster no dealers here for monster. I had major issues dealing with billy goat on my last loader so I'm looking into a giant vac tow behind. Any info on monster would be great.

SDLandscapes VT
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
I m not sure why we waited to get the roll-off. The chipper top is nice, but could use several more vents. The monster is phenomenal (actually it's everyone who left giant vac) and we really put it through its paces this season. I would recommend it more than the billygoat it upgraded though I had no complaints with the billygoat.

locallawncare.ca
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
that is a leaf machine.

lawnrich
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
S and D What was the ball park price on your monster. How old was your billy goat? I think the issues I had are on the ones being manufactured currently not the older models and dealing with warranty issues though the distributor billy goat is using.

SDLandscapes VT
01-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I d have to check my records on the price--got a big break cause we brought cash and we spent a good bit with our dealer--he made the EFI 28 the same price as the carb'd 29. I ll PM you tomorrow

SDLandscapes VT
01-18-2013, 06:56 PM
We had the 12 HP LCT "chonda" 8" billygoat loader purchased new in late November 2009. We had it mounted on a custom quick-load bracket on the trailer--two guys could have the thing setup in 15 minutes or less. It loaded our one ton stakebody with leaf box. and let us with one truck get all mowers etc with leaf loader to the accounts. If the leaves were dry the thing was unstoppable--it didn't mulch well at first, but we added the piranha blade and that improved things nicely. Wet leaves or wet leaves with a little bit of mulch or dirt and your day was done.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/150997_499962764788_8083952_n.jpg

During our ownership of this leaf loader we were happy with the craftsmanship and durability as honestly we really pushed the little machine. In fact the original motor had some defects from the factory and required replacement. We did not find these defects till the second fall season and the machine was out of warranty--because our dealer knew that we didn't use the machine but spring and fall he got us a new engine under warranty--I really respect billygoat for doing this for us.

This year we purchased the dumpster truck and realized we could haul many more leaves between dumps and since our accounts are getting further afield from our dumpsites we needed to expand our capacity. we also realized we were spending too much time waiting for the loader to clear our piles and since the loader held everything else captive we couldnt move on to the next account while someone cleaned the pile. With the dumpster truck and the larger loader we can send one crew doing clean-ups and another landscaping with the dumpster--then the driver around 2:00 can by himself grab the leaf dumpster and attach the vacuum and suck all the piles and can catch up and help the leaf crew finish the last account for the day. Meanwhile the landscape crew can still work out of the dumpster left on the jobsite--if they finish we can make a late run and one guy can pick up the equipment and hand tools already pre loaded in the can.

As for the Monster--we were ready to buy the billygoat 35 HP that they introduced this season--we had a good experience with their other machine and their customer service. However, as you might notice in the picture of the truck we had to clear a significant distance to reach over the gate. The billygoat didnt come stock with that height and they did not have an extension available this season--when asked it was "under development." Also the trailer on the billygoat is a huge afterthought and not nearly the quality of the monster trailer. The final straw was the monster was available in EFI. To sweeten the deal the price was less and the lead time was shorter. We are very happy with it.