PDA

View Full Version : Pricing to instal flowers and trees

UTM-PIKE
02-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Ive got a few installs planned for this spring. They are for previous customers who have moved into a brand new house, so I will be starting from scratch. I will charge labor and overhead for grading and prep. I am stuck on the per plant pricing. I know there are several formulas, what do you guys use. I want to use alot of color in the annuals. Do you guys charge per plant or per flat and how much. As far as trees, I know its by size, what are a few examples. Since these are my loyal customers, I will probably not charge a design fee, and have access to AutoCad. Please let me know what kind of prices per flower, shrub, and tree for labor only per size of plant. Thanks in advance for any input!!!

LawnsRUsInc.
02-03-2003, 01:21 AM
We always did it by plant cost 40% of plant cost $100 in bushes $40 for installation. Thats just what i do sense its hard to tell what soil conditions are but dont tell your customer this. I always present them a full cost with plants and labor etc... Dont break it down for them. And maybe incluse on the contact of agrement that this is based on normal soil conditions.

UTM-PIKE
02-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Ive always heard that if you go by the % of the plant cost, you will be robbing some people, and not making enough on the others. Japanese Maple vs. Bradford Pear for example. I know that there should be different prices depending on the size of the plant. Im looking for an example of what to charge for labor in relation to the plant and its size, example, flat of flowers, small, medium, and large shrubs and trees. Thanks, and keep it coming.

LawnsRUsInc.
02-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Then iam in the same boat as you probably just bill whatever your regular per guy per hour rate. Mine is 40 per hour + materials thats how i figure some of the jobs. Alot of jobs i just take and do it per square foot. Like walls we charge 25 per sq ft. It works out good. Maybe i will think of other ways, but we go staright trhough our nursery so the plants and flowers are low cost like 1/2 price. Then on a $100 med size plant costs me $50 and then 40% on a $100 plant i make another $40. Thats a total of 90 dollar cut. Also we always plant trees for contractors so we are installing $10,000 + just in nursery stock. But for the entrence to some condos and entrances to sub-divisions i figured how long it would take to plant small flowers and just charged the hourly rate.
Jason

brentsawyer
02-04-2003, 11:34 AM
I hope you guys aren't suggesting that I put a Japanese maple in and price accordingly to what I would put in a similar sized tree or shrub as far as markup and labor goes. Main reason is what if the tree dies, your not only losing money, your losing alot. This is why you are better going with markup to retail plus 50% for labor, time and everything else.

UTM-PIKE
02-04-2003, 12:49 PM
So, is the percentage system what alot of people go by? It seems that this is a heated topic at lawnsite. I am open to all suggestions from anyone with a tried and true method.