PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper 325D 61'' or Scag Turf Tiger 61'' KOH DFI

sjlc2013
01-19-2013, 12:13 AM
I am in the market to purchase a new mower and need help deciding between two mowers.

I have narrowed my options down to two mowers:
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61"
or
2013 Scag Turf Tiger 61'' with a Kohler 29 HP Fuel Injected.

My goal is to purchase this mower and not have to buy another one for 10+ years. I am going to put about 300-400 hours per year on the mower, and want to be able to mow in all conditions.

Any recommendations are welcome!!!

slowleak1
01-19-2013, 01:18 AM
Scag without a doubt

sjlc2013
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Scag without a doubt

Thanks for your reply. Can you please elaborate on why I should choose Scag over Grasshopper.
Posted via Mobile Device

slowleak1
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. Can you please elaborate on why I should choose Scag over Grasshopper.
Posted via Mobile Device

You didn't ask for anyone to elborate lol

Personally I dont think the grasshopper is built as well as the scag, they just arent as beefy IMO.

Plus you can't go wrong with the velocity deck that scag makes, i think its arguable that it's top 3 in decks right now.

Truth of the matter is though, only one person can decide which mower is best for you, and that is you. Demo both of them, and see which one you like more.

sjlc2013
01-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks for taking the time and lending your advice. I'm going to demo them this spring.

If there is anybody else with suggestions, please leave them on here! Also, please elaborate on your opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
I am in the market to purchase a new mower and need help deciding between two mowers.

I have narrowed my options down to two mowers:
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61"
or
2013 Scag Turf Tiger 61'' with a Kohler 29 HP Fuel Injected.

My goal is to purchase this mower and not have to buy another one for 10+ years. I am going to put about 300-400 hours per year on the mower, and want to be able to mow in all conditions.

Any recommendations are welcome!!!

Both of those machines are really good. As slowleak said i would think the Scag is a little better quality but not by much. 300-400 hours a year at 10 years is 3000 to 4000 hours.. While that fuel injected Kohler is good you probably wont get half those hours before needing replaced, while the diesel if taken care of you might just get those hours without needing a new engine. Now if the diesel Scag was an option i would say the Scag.. But demo both and you decide...

groundskeeperllc
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Grasshopper all the way if you want the hours your planning on using it for, just recently several Grasshopper users have come forward with 12,000 plus hours on there machines and still running them on their original liquid cooled Kubota gas and diesel engines, with my experience around where i live the scags are built very well but around here after a little use they all look like crap, its like the paint fades and starts chipping real bad, My grasshoppers are hardly ever washed and always look and run good! I demoed a Turf Tiger about 3 years ago and felt like I was driving a tank, you might also consider the weights of the machines I'm pretty sure the gas Scag your looking at is about 200-300lbs heavier than the diesel Grasshopper.

Valk
01-20-2013, 02:22 PM
FWIW, red/orange tints of paint tend to fade quite a bit faster than other colors.

sjlc2013
01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all of your replies, your information is greatly appreciated.

I have also been approached to buy a 2006 Grasshopper 722D 61" deck with only 100 hours on it. This mower is in great shape, and was used by a home owner on a 1 acre lot. It comes with a snow blade and a vacuum system. I can get in this mower for $2000 cheaper than the New Scag and $3000 cheaper than the New 325D, but no warranty. I am looking to put 300-400 hours a year on it. I know ultimately it is my decision, but any advice on if any of you think that it would a better investment than the 2 new mowers, or if you believe that the new warranty and new mower is worth the extra money?

slowleak1
01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
FWIW, red/orange tints of paint tend to fade quite a bit faster than other colors.

This...my scag has faded already, and its only a few months old.

thethrill
06-11-2013, 11:40 PM
I have a grasshopper, and have been really amazed at the quality of the machine. I especially like the thickness of the deck. It's just so solid. I do cut pretty high grass on occasion and would really benefit from a tractor and bush hog, but at the moment just rely on the Grasshopper to do the cutting. I have the 61" Deck. My only complaint is that in the high grass, much of which is a stemmed type grass, the Grasshopper has to go over and over like 3-4 times to get the cut finished properly. I am not sure if any other mower would do any better, but have been told the Scags won't require such repetitiveness on this type of mowing. A concern I had though, was that in this video here, " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL5Mlkww6tQ ", the Scag looked cheap and poorly built as the guy mentions and shows the deck is bent. You cannot bend my grasshopper deck like that. The steel is to thick. I have never seen a Scag in person and obviously never tested one. The reviews on here tend to be pretty good. Please advise, have I been misled? And, will the Scag outcut my Grasshopper. FYI, I'm in Arkansas and in a rocky rough environment, I do not abuse my machine, but do occasionally hit rocks, etc.

stoneseller
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I mowed with my new Turf Tiger 61" Kohler 29 for the first time for the last hour or more.
What dream machine. Mowed a very saturated 2 acres that was quite tall. The cuttings never clumped.
I'm very happy with my investment. A dramatic improvement from my past 61" Wildcat with Advantage deck, which was pretty darn nice as well.

thethrill
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I spoke with my closest Scag dealer, he states they're built like a tank. As good or better than any mower on the market. He also stated he sells more Cheetah's than anything else. I am going to try to check them out first chance I get.
Posted via Mobile Device

goel
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a grasshopper 07 322d (kubota diesel) with a 72inch mid mount deck.

3k hours and still strong. Moved locations and it was left outside all winter, basically uncovered. Started up and off she went this year without any problems. It gets driven hard, put away wet. Takes abuse and keeps ticking.

Had more problems with the rad than anything else on it.

Also picked up an 08 grasshopper 722k gas w front mount 61 inch mower and sweepex sweeper this spring. It had 850 hours on it and we have already put another 200 on it. Good machine but the motor will not last anywhere near the diesel.

Mostly these mow schools, rough and wet this year constantly.
Posted via Mobile Device

chicken74701
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
That 722D would probably be your best bet. The front mount 700 series Grasshoppers ride better than either the 325D or the Scag. The front deck gets under low hanging limbs and other obstacles well. It will still do about 10 mph so you can knock the lawn out quickly. Just my .02.

Marshmallow
08-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Have you looked at the Toro diesels?

retrodog
08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
The new GH decks are redesigned and have a deeper design. You shouldn't have the double triple cut issue anymore... I use the higher lift high lift blades on my GH in the weedy grass...

WilsonBoud
08-10-2013, 01:31 PM
I spoke with my closest Scag dealer, he states they're built like a tank. As good or better than any mower on the market. He also stated he sells more Cheetah's than anything else. I am going to try to check them out first chance I get.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like you, I researched heavily for my perfect ZTR. I finally came to a conclusion that the ZTR that would best serve my needs is the Scag Cheetah (61" - 31 Kawasaki). My cutting time went from 4.25 hours down to 1.5 hours. YES, I was very surprised...

Although I have only ten hours on the unit, I'm very pleased with the mower, and look forward to a lasting relationship.

(PS....I love Mountain Home. We have ridden AR extensively)

:usflag: *trucewhiteflag* :usflag:

baileylawnservice
09-15-2013, 01:20 PM
I would go with the scag turf tiger. They have been makin this mower since 1998. Obviously they have improved the decks and engine options have changed. If I was mowing that many hours I would go with the cat diesel or the liquid cooled efi kawasaki. I personally am on my second scag mower. My first was a belt driv walk behind that I had from 1996-2005 and put a little over 1000 hours on it. Currently I have a wildcat with 1100 hours that I bought in 2005, and a vride that I purchased last year. I am looking at replacing my wildcat with a Turf tiger mayb next year.