PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a townhome community

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I am looking at pricing a 32 unit town home community. The property is about 4 acres total. Each house is listed at .06 acres (2'610 sq ft.) with a 1,600 sq. ft house on it. The rest is commons area and clubhouse. I was also told that it took the current crew about 8 hours to do it with three guys. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The list I was provided by HOA is as follows:

Mowing every two weeks
Weed control for grass and beds
Fertilize lawn and shrubs based on soil sample. Min. 2 times per year
Lime as needed
Trimming and spraying of shrubs as needed. Spring and fall.
Aerate lawn once per year
Edging of lawn as needed. At least twice per year
Fire ant control as needed
1600 bales of pine straw

I hope the information that I have provide enough for you guys to help me out. I would greatly appreciate any input on pricing this job. If you need anymore info, please ask.

z71tiger
01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Not sure why you need people to price this for you.. You seem to know what you want to do, you know your cost, and you know what your time is worth.

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Do you want yearly price or monthly price.

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 09:33 PM
I am looking for an annual cost. I know what my time is worth. Do i price per unit or base it per hour?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
You looking at 7 to 8k just to get the pine straw.:walking:

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Are you ready and certified to do all the work yourself or subbing out some work.:rolleyes:

What is the liability coverage they asking for.:waving:

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 10:01 PM
I am doing all the work myself. I do have liability ins.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
At least $500 a month. Maybe more.

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
OK by weekly mowing your annual should look like $27,760

dathorpe
01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Hold on. Am I misreading something? It takes a 3 man crew 8 hours to mow 4 acres??

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Hold on. Am I misreading something? It takes a 3 man crew 8 hours to mow 4 acres??

This is not a open field are in same page or did I miss understood you.

dathorpe
01-19-2013, 11:16 PM
We don't know what the lawn is like, we don't know how many shrubs, how large are the shrubs, and we don't know where the bales of pine straw are going - one spot or one thousand spots. In any case, assuming all is average and... figuring for round about ball park... I'd say you're in the 20k - 22k range.

dathorpe
01-19-2013, 11:20 PM
This is not a open field are in same page or did I miss understood you.

This sentence made my head hurt.

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:23 PM

That is what he told me. Their is a crap ton of trimming and blowing off surfaces. I kinda thought that was a long time frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Sorry man some times out corrects all this time fail

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:26 PM
We don't know what the lawn is like, we don't know how many shrubs, how large are the shrubs, and we don't know where the bales of pine straw are going - one spot or one thousand spots. In any case, assuming all is average and... figuring for round about ball park... I'd say you're in the 20k - 22k range.

Shrubs are in beds along front of house 3' x 10' and are very tiny. Most of the pine straw is in three big areas and rest in shrubs.
Posted via Mobile Device

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
OK by weekly mowing your annual should look like $27,760

Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info
Posted via Mobile Device

dathorpe
01-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Shrubs are in beds along front of house 3' x 10' and are very tiny. Most of the pine straw is in three big areas and rest in shrubs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, that would lower the cost... under 20k. But I would be bothered by the 3 men / 8 hrs... something doesn't seem right there. You should make sure of the guidlines you've been given. Best of luck.

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
That place up here in NY would be a money maker in winter.

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Well, that would lower the cost... under 20k. But I would be bothered by the 3 men / 8 hrs... something doesn't seem right there. You should make sure of the guidlines you've been given. Best of luck.

It did bother me about the 3 men/ 8 hrs. I know i can do two acres in less than an hour mowing. My biggest concern was to just charge by the acre or to do per hour. I get 120 an acre around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
Am I missing something here or are you guys 850 miles apart? How can prices be the same? It drives me crazy when business owners in the lawn maintenance business can't handle doing the job of daily operations like, bidding a job. If you know your costs and how long a job will take then what's the problem?

Landrus2

OK let's walk trough what part don't seem right to you I try to clarify

Landrus2
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Am I missing something here or are you guys 850 miles apart? How can prices be the same? It drives me crazy when business owners in the lawn maintenance business can't handle doing the job of daily operations like, bidding a job. If you know your costs and how long a job will take then what's the problem?

You right but if we can share info I think is all good

brentcovington
01-19-2013, 11:48 PM

I actually handle my business very well. I am reaching out for some input on the info i was supplied. I like to see what other people have to say about things that i am less experienced with. I have big accounts, but no cookie cutter town homes. The information can be useful to me. Sorry if its useless to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
01-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Edging only 2x per year in Georgia?

orangemower
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Typical customer dictating how they want it done yet don't have a clue.

brentcovington
01-20-2013, 10:41 AM

That's what I was thinking when he told me that. I told him edging was done atleast twice a month on all my yards.
Posted via Mobile Device

brentcovington
01-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Typical customer dictating how they want it done yet don't have a clue.

Very true! I have tried to change his mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
That's what I was thinking when he told me that. I told him edging was done atleast twice a month on all my yards.
Posted via Mobile Device
We edge every time a mower is on a yard unless its during the winter and then maybe every other month if that. If you did 2x a year it would be a mess.
Unless maybe they are talking about bed edging? That would be a different story.

brentcovington
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
We edge every time a mower is on a yard unless its during the winter and then maybe every other month if that. If you did 2x a year it would be a mess.
Unless maybe they are talking about bed edging? That would be a different story.

I so the same exact thing as you unless customer recommends something else. He is talking about driveway edging. I told him that it would look horrible doing it twice a year, but if that's what he wants I will do it and its written in contract.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM

hahaha...mine too

jbell36
01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
i don't like the mowing 2x/month deal to begin with...is it a nice property or kind of sh*tty?...regardless, i would imagine we would be around the $425 mark, strictly for mowing...obviously, like everyone else has said, it's very tough to bid something we haven't even seen...that's basing it off 4 acres, 32 units...NOT the 8 hours/ 3 guys...it should be more around the 4 hours mark

brentcovington
01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
i don't like the mowing 2x/month deal to begin with...is it a nice property or kind of sh*tty?...regardless, i would imagine we would be around the $425 mark, strictly for mowing...obviously, like everyone else has said, it's very tough to bid something we haven't even seen...that's basing it off 4 acres, 32 units...NOT the 8 hours/ 3 guys...it should be more around the 4 hours mark
It has definitely went to the crapper over time. I was guessing around 4 hours of labor. I was speechless when he said 8 hrs. I told the guy that I will not do half a ** work. Is that 425 a month or a cut?
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
per cut...and that's just the number i came up with real quick with only a few numbers, which would include edging every mow...prob on the high side...unfortunately, mowing prices haven't increased much if any for 15-20 years...big companies have driven the commercial properties down, i'm hoping it's just the recession we are currently in

brentcovington
01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks man! I know what you mean. They were killing the little guys around here. Luckily for us, people are more trusting of the little guys around here now since big guys aren't paying attention to detail.