PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Vantage

Forever Green Landscaping
01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Looking for some information about the Vantage
I currently have a stander but there are some hills it can't tackle and have to break out the walk behind to finish.
Watching the videos and information about the Vantage they claim you can raise the platform and use it as a walk behind
How steep of a hill can you actually use it on?
Will it actually function like a walk behind or will I still need to carry around another machine for hills?

Thanks

Jimslawncareservice
01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
What brand of stander do you have? I have had wrights and a deere which is the same as a great dane and gravely. They both handled hills great.
Posted via Mobile Device

01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a Wright and I can do some pretty decent hills but nothing compared to a walk behind but it will slide sometimes going down

trock
01-20-2013, 02:16 PM
I have a 52 inch vantage and i love it. You can fold up the stand on platform and walk behind it if you had too....

LandFakers
01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
There have been a few people on here that have said that if your not standing on the platform it actually has less traction because your weight isnt over the wheels. Fold up platform is mostly for trailering I guess

01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Have you ever used it as a walk behind on a hill
I don't want to go from one to the other and be in the same situation

01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
I see they come with the ECS controls now which I would think would be a huge benefit when doing hills
I see an 60" listed on EBay but Exmark website doesn't seem to offer that option

sjessen
01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I have a 60" vantage. It will handle any hill that you can use a wb with a sulky. It is not better than a wb alone. Did a demo with a vantage with ecs and prefer the z type controls.

LandFakers
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
I would get the Z controls if possible. There have been numerous posts on here about how the ECS controls really hurt your hands after an extended period of running time.

01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a 60" vantage. It will handle any hill that you can use a wb with a sulky. It is not better than a wb alone. Did a demo with a vantage with ecs and prefer the z type controls.
I guess that's what I am getting at I wouldn't think the Z style controls would be as great on hills as the ECS If it can replace a WB for the hills and a rider for speed and open spaces it can save you some serious money with its versitility.

sjessen
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
I guess that's what I am getting at I wouldn't think the Z style controls would be as great on hills as the ECS If it can replace a WB for the hills and a rider for speed and open spaces it can save you some serious money with its versitility.

Generally speaking a stander will not replace a wb on hills.

lawnkingforever
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Generally speaking a stander will not replace a wb on hills.

Bingo. I still laugh at the DVD I received with my grandstand. It shows how the mower can be used in wb mode. What an absolute joke. With 2 seasons and countless hours on this unit, I will say without a doubt that using this mower as a wb is useless. Toro should have never marketed it in that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Man i want one so bad.. Looked at a 36 and really liked it. Everything from electric start to the ease of height adjustment. My problem is i never demoed one, i just think i'm to heavy. I'm 6ft 250 lbs and the weight of just the machine alone is i think twice as much as my walk behind without me.. I still don't see how it wouldn't do a wheel stand just sitting there though. A 250 lb guy standing behind the rear wheels, just seems like the front would be extremely light on flat properties let alone anything with an incline...

Jimslawncareservice
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Man i want one so bad.. Looked at a 36 and really liked it. Everything from electric start to the ease of height adjustment. My problem is i never demoed one, i just think i'm to heavy. I'm 6ft 250 lbs and the weight of just the machine alone is i think twice as much as my walk behind without me.. I still don't see how it wouldn't do a wheel stand just sitting there though. A 250 lb guy standing behind the rear wheels, just seems like the front would be extremely light on flat properties let alone anything with an incline...

I drove one around the dealer. They had a steep area. It seemed to be ok. Wasn't like a wright. I'm 210 lbs or so. I'm sure if I bounced or pulled back on it I could have made it lighter. I'm working on a deal for 2 52" vantages, but could go Scag or deere. Maybe buy nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
I drove one around the dealer. They had a steep area. It seemed to be ok. Wasn't like a wright. I'm 210 lbs or so. I'm sure if I bounced or pulled back on it I could have made it lighter. I'm working on a deal for 2 52" vantages, but could go Scag or deere. Maybe buy nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya, see that's what i like also about the vanage is the platform can fold up and now a walkbehind where as the Wright and the V-ride are strictly riders only. But then the more reviews i look at people seem to say there no good in walk mode. So i'm at the point where i just need to go demo one to see if it will work out. For me if i bought one it would replace my walk behind so it would have to work as a walk for hills or a rider for flat.

Jimslawncareservice
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Ya, see that's what i like also about the vanage is the platform can fold up and now a walkbehind where as the Wright and the V-ride are strictly riders only. But then the more reviews i look at people seem to say there no good in walk mode. So i'm at the point where i just need to go demo one to see if it will work out. For me if i bought one it would replace my walk behind so it would have to work as a walk for hills or a rider for flat.

Demo is the only way to tell. I was dead set on a v ride a couple years back, I demoed it and hated it.
Posted via Mobile Device