PDA

View Full Version : Is this Crabgrass? How do I kill it?

dwclapp
01-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Is this Crabgrass? How do I get rid of it?

It's winter (mid-January) here in Houston, Texas and my lawn is mostly brown and dormant except for patches of a green broadleaf weed. Is this crabgrass? How do I get rid of it. It's an abandoned, foreclosed home that I purchased with a very neglected yard. I've used Scotts Lawn Pro Super Bonus S Weed And Feed each spring for 3 years, but still have this problem.

Thanks,
dwclapp

richardcog
01-20-2013, 10:26 PM
It looks like crabgrass but could be Dallas grass I have a hard time telling which is which unless it is tall and I see the seeds on it

ELS Landscape
01-20-2013, 10:46 PM
It is not Dallis Grass. Not sure if it is crab grass either. Hard to tell but professionals have access to things home owners do not. First I would try a Certainty as a pro cause it is a good grassy weed killer. Very expensive but very effective on a wide range of grassy weeds.

Get a good local weed control expert.

ReddensLawnCare
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
The way it looks it may be some rough version of fescue
Posted via Mobile Device

dwclapp
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Can I just kill this stuff with Roundup and let the "good" grass replace it this spring? As you can see from the pictures, it's mostly isolated clumps of weeds amongst otherwise "good" grass. Any suggestions to encourage the "good" grass to fill in the holes after I Roundup the weeds (if you think that's a good, low cost solution)?

STEVE'S RI
01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
looks like crabgrass. In the north east I use a chemical called Quincept to get rid of crabgrass without killing all other grass. Works perfectly as intended.

Smallaxe
01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Can I just kill this stuff with Roundup and let the "good" grass replace it this spring? As you can see from the pictures, it's mostly isolated clumps of weeds amongst otherwise "good" grass. Any suggestions to encourage the "good" grass to fill in the holes after I Roundup the weeds (if you think that's a good, low cost solution)?

Here is where I would think RU is the perfect solution becuz it transfers ONLY from the leaves and does not absorb from the roots... dormant leaves should not absorb RU... but we still have noi absolute verification on that...

If you spary with RU, let us know in the Spring whether all the adjacent grasses came back , unaffected... :)

ELS Landscape
01-22-2013, 08:33 AM
The Bermuda may not be completely dormant in your area. I suggest taking a shovel and cutting the soil and runnings around this weed before you do it. It will minimize the collateral damages.