PDA

View Full Version : battery operated hedge trimmers

kandalawncaremgr
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Looking into possibly adding battery operated trimmers. Anyone use them, if so what's the pros and cons, I would like to hear. I just can't seem to master gas ones.

Landrus2
01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Are you using this machines for commercial use:nono:

kandalawncaremgr
01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Well mostly residential. But yes for company use. Don't really get a lot of trimming jobs. Just looking for people who have them and use them.

zechstoker
01-21-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't use battery powered hedge trimmers, but I do use a battery powered pole saw as well as a battery powered chainsaw. Here's my point of view based off my experience with these:

Pros:
-Maintenance for these tools is very minimal.
-If they're sitting for an extended amount of time, you don't have to worry about fuel going bad.
-No time spent waiting for the engine to warm up.

Cons:
-Battery life is really short for most all b/o lawn equipment, so you typically want a few spare batteries.
-Overall power and RPMs of b/o tools are marginally less than traditional gas powered equipment, making some jobs take longer than they would otherwise.
-If left in an open trailer or the back of a truck, electronics are more prone to damage from the elements.

kandalawncaremgr
01-21-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm sure there much lighter also. I'm purchasing new trimmers this spring and I'm not sure just what I want. That's why I posted to get the great feedback from other lco.

zechstoker
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Just for clarification, are you referring to string/line trimmers or hedge trimmers?

kandalawncaremgr
01-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Hedge trimmers. To trim hedges. I have echo gas trimmers .

zechstoker
01-21-2013, 02:51 AM
Hedge trimmers. To trim hedges. I have echo gas trimmers .

Oh, okay. I'm not sure if they're still hanging out on this forum, but there were some guys here who ran b/o hedge trimmers. They weren't doing a lot of trimming with them, but the tool seemed to do the job for them. Some of this was discussed in a thread I started last year. If you want, I can shoot ya the link to that thread.

kandalawncaremgr
01-21-2013, 03:40 AM
Yea if ya wouldn't mind that would be great. Thanks

a clear difference lawn
01-21-2013, 08:57 AM
http://coreoutdoorpower.com/?post_type=portfolio&p=1831

zechstoker
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
After re-reading everything, that thread I mentioned may not be relevant, but here's the link to it anyway.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374817
Posted via Mobile Device

shepoutside
01-21-2013, 09:53 PM
We have both, but everyone grabs the B/O ( B&D 18 volt ) trimmers first. Light weight, easy to use, cut well, store well. We have a gas too, used for long flat top runs, but per fer B/O for ladder work. Yes, we have many extra batteries, same used in all our cordless tools.