PDA

View Full Version : city bid...help!

sirsweatsalot
02-03-2003, 03:54 PM
i found out that the city is taking bids for a few tree planting jobs i was just wondering how to and what to bid on this job. im not really in the landscaping biz but my buddy is. can some one make sence of this for me? i'd be the one who would write up the bid. here is what they want:
size quanity
Deciduous Tree 1 1/2" 158
Deciduous Tree 2" 91
Deciduous Tree 1" 22
Conifer 6" 2
Conifer Shrub #2 374
Conifer shrub #5 15
Deciduous Shrub #2 500
Deciduous Shrub#5 6
landscape mainteance 3yrs.

Bids shall be on the basis of cash payment for work performed. All work included in the contract must be fully completed on or before June 15, 2003.

dan deutekom
02-03-2003, 11:32 PM
There had better be better specs. than that. You need to have variaties etc. On the deciduous trees they will be talking about the caliper of the stem, but is at breast height? or 1 foot from the soil? The other material is the pot size. I would assume the maintenance is on this material but who Knows? On a job of this size there should be very specific specifications in the bid package and quite likely the requirement of a bid bond and a performance bond if awarded. If this is the way your city is specifying this job I would run away from it.

ipm
02-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Bids shall be on the basis of cash payment for work performed. All work included in the contract must be fully completed on or before June 15, 2003.

What is the penalty if you don't meet the deadline???? I hate to be negative but....

devildog
02-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dan deutekom
There had better be better specs. than that. You need to have varieties etc. On the deciduous trees they will be talking about the caliper of the stem, but is at breast height? or 1 foot from the soil? The other material is the pot size. I would assume the maintenance is on this material but who Knows? On a job of this size there should be very specific specifications in the bid package and quite likely the requirement of a bid bond and a performance bond if awarded. If this is the way your city is specifying this job I would run away from it.

and is there a warranty period;
do you have to water;
do you have to add soil amendments; do you mulch; private property/easement's or city property;
do you have to cross private property;
what is the "maintain" spec's translate to; does the material have to be inspected prior to installation?
Need more info. With Regards... devildog

Randy Scott
02-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Just send your bid in saying you'll do it for 5% less than the lowest bid. That's all the cities or villages are looking for, low bid wins, plain and simple.

paul
02-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Randy thats a good one! LOL

Most cities or villages requires you to use their bid forms, Here that also means a bid bond and if your the lowest bid you need to supply a performance bond and payment bond. The bid specs also included all planting specs and maintanice specs.