PDA

View Full Version : Sago palms dying

avernon0112
01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Can anyone tell me what could be causing this. I am new to dealing with palms. I have spent a few hours reading about this and can not seem to get anywhere.

avernon0112
01-21-2013, 09:46 PM
One more pic

RussellB
01-21-2013, 09:54 PM
looks like frost damage to me. Let it sprout new growth in the spring then remove all old growth. Also looks like some hail damage. Has it hailed there?

Sprinkler Buddy
01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
It's not dying, cut those frawns off and watch it come back when the weather warms again. Looks like the newer growth didn't mature enough and got kissed by Mr. Frosty. It will come back!

Florida Gardener
01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
FYI-a sago is a cycad, not a palm. 2 questions, where are you located, and how cold has it gotten recently where you are?
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
No hail there. I guess it could be frost. It just started getting bad a few weeks ago. There was a few days around the end of the year that were cold.

Florida Gardener
01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
No hail there. I guess it could be frost. It just started getting bad a few weeks ago. There was a few days around the end of the year that were cold.

How cold?? Where exactly are you located??
Posted via Mobile Device

turfmd101
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Can anyone tell me what could be causing this. I am new to dealing with palms. I have spent a few hours reading about this and can not seem to get anywhere.

NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY; magnesium, manganese & potash at proper rates will improve these deficiencies. Rates are based on trunk diameter ( rate of product is by inch of diameter). Strip old growth and if proper nutrients are applied right. The new growth should not be deficient.
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
01-21-2013, 10:36 PM
The palms are near Charleston, SC. The lowest temp was 26 one night. There were 4 days at 32 or lower in the last two months. Average has been mid 40s and up.

Florida Gardener
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY; magnesium, manganese & potash at proper rates will improve these deficiencies. Rates are based on trunk diameter ( rate of product is by inch of diameter). Strip old growth and if proper nutrients are applied right. The new growth should not be deficient.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is exactly what I was thinking. Although, I don't see any Mn def. can't tell 100% from the pics. Def K and Mg though.
Posted via Mobile Device

RussellB
01-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't trim it prior to spring. You guys may still get more frost this winter. In the spring trim it and fertilize. It will be fine.

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-21-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't do tropical plants, but I know people up here in OC, Maryland and Delaware wrap the branches all together with "saran wrap".

-Michael

turfmd101
01-21-2013, 11:10 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking. Although, I don't see any Mn def. can't tell 100% from the pics. Def K and Mg though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just trying to cover the basics. Can't miss with the three. Looks as though it could have some root stress too.?
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks y'all! I will throw some fert on it in the spring time.

Tri-City Outdoors
01-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Not frost damage! These guy are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101

Posted via Mobile Device

Start a proper fert. program now and it will solve it self. Cut back old growth around spring time depending on temps. It will be as good as new.

BTW sago's are toxic. I have witnessed a customers brand new puppy eat a seed and end up in the doggy ER.

yamadooski
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Sago is cyad not a palm same for travelers its not a palm its a tree.
The cyads rarely ever freeze there would have to be snow sitting on top of it for several days......ggeeeesh
Even during the 13 day hard freeze in florida a few years ago sagos didn't die.
It either nutrient deficiency or other which is the biggest problem that not even one you brought up was "ASIAN SCALE"
If there are white bumps on the bottoms of the frongs you have Asian scale
by which you need to take off each frong off so only the trunk is showing have it sprayed. If you try spraying it yourself it will be super expensive.
Before they had chemicals for this I told all customers to use Hartz flea and tick spray. That was only a temporary fix.

jvanvliet
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Sago is cyad not a palm same for travelers its not a palm its a tree.
The cyads rarely ever freeze there would have to be snow sitting on top of it for several days......ggeeeesh
Even during the 13 day hard freeze in florida a few years ago sagos didn't die.
It either nutrient deficiency or other which is the biggest problem that not even one you brought up was "ASIAN SCALE"
If there are white bumps on the bottoms of the frongs you have Asian scale
by which you need to take off each frong off so only the trunk is showing have it sprayed. If you try spraying it yourself it will be super expensive.
Before they had chemicals for this I told all customers to use Hartz flea and tick spray. That was only a temporary fix.

My thought too; Asian Scale. It just about wiped out Florida's crop not too log ago. Nutritional deficiencies would have manifested prior to the cold season.

I'd check for scale. If found, try Imidachloprid or Dinotefuran.

Landscape Poet
02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
If found, try Imidachloprid or Dinotefuran.

If found I would go with the later first because of its quick uptake. Preventative the the dominion would not be a issue as long as directions for the proper drench are followed. Safari will be a much quicker uptake IMHO ...expensive product but quick and effective... word on the street is that EPA is not digging the soil residual of imidacloprid so finding alternatives now would be advised.

the_bug_guy
02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
It also looks like a high nitrogen fertilizer was used on it like a 20-20-20,. High nitrogen will fry a sago

Low Tide Landscape
05-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Cut off dead and add epson salt around the base of the sago!:drinkup:

loxs44
05-06-2013, 12:03 AM
idk if anyone said this or not but I had a customer put coffer grounds put on the center of the sago palm, when you can, if small enough to reach and it helped it grow faster and healthy, never got that fungus and after sold her house, new guy doesn't do it and its sick now...

the_bug_guy
05-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Cut off dead and add epson salt around the base of the sago!:drinkup:

except sago palms are the one you do not want to add salt to