PDA

View Full Version : Cat skid vs bobcat skid

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm kicking the idea around of getting a skid sometime this season I've demoed both and at first liked the bobcat but I got transferred to some old sales man and when I came back he wouldent let me dive any cuz the fact I'm not 16 so after that I was leaning toward the cat alot more when I went to look at the cats I was like 20 mins late guy Dident care put me in a machine within 10 mins and I was driving 3 different machines for a hour around the yard he also gave me some free stuff hats calendars that stuff and told me if I purchase one and I need a an atachment for a day or two I can use it for free if the machines down hell bring me a replacement my real question is what machine do you guys perfer/performs better i was looking at the bobcat t650 or 750 or the cat 259 or 279 if the bobcat performs better would it be ok going with the worse dealer support? Also the bobcat dealer is just a small dealer the cat does everything and has onsite service trucks and the cat sales guy said I could have the machine for a week or two if I had a job as my demo, it seems like I would have much better support from cat then bobcat. Hopefully buying a 40k plus machine I want to make the right decision. Anyone's opinions on the different machines or the dealer support?
Posted via Mobile Device

avernon0112
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
We run a Cat and like it. The dealer support is key and I would not buy from someone that was less than helpful when I was looking to spend that much money.

bobcat_ron
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
My brother owns a 277C and it is a kick ass machine to spend all day in. Our Bobcat dealer gave him the usual snub nose cold shoulder treatment, and that's how we ended up with a Cat. No regrets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
The cat I also felt Roomey in the bobcat I felt squished like once the the bobcat guy knew I was 14 he basiclay blew me off Dident let me drive them anything I think the cat will be a better machine anyway
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
My brother owns a 277C and it is a kick ass machine to spend all day in. Our Bobcat dealer gave him the usual snub nose cold shoulder treatment, and that's how we ended up with a Cat. No regrets.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was gonna look at that one but he said the tracks and rollers wear more on those vs the steel rollers on the 2-9 series instead of the 2-7 series so ill problay end up with the 279 or 289 same machine just more vertical lift I think he said
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
But uhhh, $40,000 is not exactly what the models you mentioned are priced at, last time I checked, a 279C was around $65,000. And being that young, you will need a co-signer with a good credit history. The Cat dealer may have been a nice experience, but they do not sell a machine to anyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
I was gonna look at that one but he said the tracks and rollers wear more on those vs the steel rollers on the 2-9 series instead of the 2-7 series so ill problay end up with the 279 or 289 same machine just more vertical lift I think he said
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow. You better REALLY save some money. $72,000++ for that size after tax.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Connor, I think you are getting in way over your head with a new skid steer. Unless your are going to use it more than 5 days per month, you may be better off renting a machine.

I think your best bet is to wait until the end of May/beginning of June after you've made your Spring money and buy a nice used machine in your area. I know I have had several decent used bobcat 753/763/etc. and Case 1845c for $5000- $11000.

If you really want to buy new you should look into getting a Kubota B or L Series tractor with a loader and backhoe which you can get for $18,000-$30,000 brand new with a warranty and payments. I love Kubota tractor's, better then every other in my opinion, even those Green machines. (Even though I will be buying JD mowers this year).

-Michael

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Wow. You better REALLY save some money. $72,000++ for that size after tax.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm considering used because of the price he knocks off about 10-15 k for 2-400 hours ones off their rental fleet it'll be down the road I know that but I'm hoping to get one before fall I need a real good summer to afford it tho
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Connor, I think you are getting in way over your head with a new skid steer. Unless your are going to use it more than 5 days per month, you may be better off renting a machine.

I think your best bet is to wait until the end of May/beginning of June after you've made your Spring money and buy a nice used machine in your area. I know I have had several decent used bobcat 753/763/etc. and Case 1845c for $5000- $11000.

If you really want to buy new you should look into getting a Kubota B or L Series tractor with a loader and backhoe which you can get for $18,000-$30,000 brand new with a warranty and payments. I love Kubota tractor's, better then every other in my opinion, even those Green machines. (Even though I will be buying JD mowers this year).

-Michael

The rental machines the want abOut 500 a day.for the cat ones it's not going to be a imadiate purchase but I want to have I by the end of summer hopefully. I don't think I'm in over my head but I'd use it for my land in nc too I think it would benifitd me to have one and be able to offer those services. But as times goes on we well see a tractor is also a consideration too
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
I am impressed. Most 14 year olds are more interested in playing video games than making money. I would also however suggest starting out with a 10K machine, because in worst case senerio most 10K machines will still be worth 10K next year. This is oppossed to a 30-40 K machine which will continue a steady decline. Being 14 things happen and being saddled to a big payment may not be a good idea. This entire posts begs for a lot of questions like who's company is this, who is cosigning and who drives you around to these jobs but I digress. Good luck.

smokenjoe_10
01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
The farm I work for when im not mowing has a bobcat S160 and a cat 223B. I run them both equally and would take a bobcat over cat any day cats are speady lil things while bobcat is built better I think. If your ganna run it in the cold cat by far started better and quicker then bobcat. The bobcat hydro is quicker then cat I think, paid 17xxx with trade in on a case 40xt that was a piece and paid 33xxx for a leased bobcat also traded old S160 got 9xxx on that.

GQLL
01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
You have no idea about the bobcat dealer. There not a small company they have six location all over the state. I'm pretty sure you were talking to Gary and he is the branch manager for the tidewater location. I deal with them a lot they do have a service truck that will do on site service. There quick to get repairs done had a power rake break and they had it up and running in 3 hours. I have nothing but praise for the people at bobcat of tidewater. And if I was in there shoes I would be worried putting a 14 year old in a 70k machine. When I was 14 I was running a old 82 bobcat. That was worth maybe 2200

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
I can get rental skid steers for $200-$250 a day in Delaware. Your best bet is becoming close friends with another small LCO in your area that has a machine and paying him a small rental fee because they are probably only going to use the machine d day or two per week.

I love my Kubota L4740 but it is too big for most yards so I will be buying a smaller machine this Summer. I have run Kubota BX and B Series machines as well and was happy with them.

-Michael

Schrock Lawns
01-21-2013, 11:58 PM
I am impressed. Most 14 year olds are more interested in playing video games than making money. I would also however suggest starting out with a 10K machine, because in worst case senerio most 10K machines will still be worth 10K next year. This is oppossed to a 30-40 K machine which will continue a steady decline. Being 14 things happen and being saddled to a big payment may not be a good idea. This entire posts begs for a lot of questions like who's company is this, who is cosigning and who drives you around to these jobs but I digress. Good luck.

Ill anser them step dad owns it legally till I'm 18 were all legal and stuff he would cosign but it would be financed unert the company him and bust our butts on the weekends working he works full time as a navy contractor I'm hoping If This year goes good of I get enough contracts signed ill add a atleast parttime employee to work with me /drive while he's working . I'm also homeschooled
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
You have no idea about the bobcat dealer. There not a small company they have six location all over the state. I'm pretty sure you were talking to Gary and he is the branch manager for the tidewater location. I deal with them a lot they do have a service truck that will do on site service. There quick to get repairs done had a power rake break and they had it up and running in 3 hours. I have nothing but praise for the people at bobcat of tidewater. And if I was in there shoes I would be worried putting a 14 year old in a 70k machine. When I was 14 I was running a old 82 bobcat. That was worth maybe 2200
Well from what I knew they Dident have a service truck guess they do I'm pretty sure it was him. Michael was the first person I dealt with and he was fantastic. I get what your saying bro worried but it's not like I would break/wreck it I've driven multable before but I felt like he Dident take me seriously just because I was 14 obviously if I was their taking time out of my day to come see bobcats I wouldent be wasting his time. It doesent really matter to me I'm gonna problay end up getting a cat when I get one it was gonna be a bobcat but after today it was a deal braker but oh well
Posted via Mobile Device

Schrock Lawns
01-22-2013, 12:07 AM
I can get rental skid steers for $200-$250 a day in Delaware. Your best bet is becoming close friends with another small LCO in your area that has a machine and paying him a small rental fee because they are probably only going to use the machine d day or two per week.

I love my Kubota L4740 but it is too big for most yards so I will be buying a smaller machine this Summer. I have run Kubota BX and B Series machines as well and was happy with them.

-Michael

Sunbelt has their for about 240 and up for weeled machines but the cat I was gonna rent if It snowed here was 480 for a day. Most of the small company's I know don't have them and a more mowing. I'm not nesiclary going to buy new but it'll depend
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
01-22-2013, 07:39 AM
The farm I work for when im not mowing has a bobcat S160 and a cat 223B. I run them both equally and would take a bobcat over cat any day cats are speady lil things while bobcat is built better I think. If your ganna run it in the cold cat by far started better and quicker then bobcat. The bobcat hydro is quicker then cat I think, paid 17xxx with trade in on a case 40xt that was a piece and paid 33xxx for a leased bobcat also traded old S160 got 9xxx on that.

I gotta call you out on the "built better" statement, Bobcat's loaders are plain weak, and even with the new M series, their quick attach frames still twist when the power-tach cylinder over extends. Look how little Cat's loader frames have changed since 1998. They have the strongest lower loader frames and quick attach frames next to Takeuchi. I have yet to twist out company's 277C loader frame more than an inch. Don't even get me started on the difference and better quality in Cat's cooling system.
Posted via Mobile Device

smokenjoe_10
01-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I gotta call you out on the "built better" statement, Bobcat's loaders are plain weak, and even with the new M series, their quick attach frames still twist when the power-tach cylinder over extends. Look how little Cat's loader frames have changed since 1998. They have the strongest lower loader frames and quick attach frames next to Takeuchi. I have yet to twist out company's 277C loader frame more than an inch. Don't even get me started on the difference and better quality in Cat's cooling system.
Posted via Mobile Device

The quick attach is weak on the S160 I did'nt know about other models thats why I didn't say anything. I could keep going on goods and bads for both, but in the long run I would say what ever one you get a better deal on go with it. For what I use the machines for bobcat is better.

Schrock Lawns
01-22-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm gonna go with a cat 279c almost positive now it's just getting the money together I woulda went with a bobcat but te way the guy treated me just rubbed me the wrong way
Posted via Mobile Device