PDA

View Full Version : f450/6.0 powerstroke

tinkerlawn
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Im looking for more thoughts/opinions on you guys that run these motors. We currently have an older model NPR gasser that has run its course and needs to be replaced. I've never run a diesel but I have a chance to pick up an 05' f450 with 120k from a local construction company. I've searched through threads on here and a couple of the diesel power forums, but am still up in the air on my decision . I am finding people saying these motors can be made bullet proof with a little bit of work done to them, while other veteran powerstroke owners say they would never own one. The construction company has kept fairly good records and it seems to me like many of the "problem" items with these engines have been replaced on this rig:
Turbo-2012,
Egr cooler- 2012
EEC- 2011

Any help or experience with these motors would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!
-Robbie

slowleak1
01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Whats the price?

tinkerlawn
01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
$6000 for a single cab with a 16ft flatbed on it. They have 3 of them to get rid of

slowleak1
01-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Offer $4500 and see what they say. Even at 6 it isnt too bad of a deal if they run well

CLARK LAWN
01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Turbos generally fail due to dirty oil, check the oil intervals. If the EGR cooler failed it sent coolant through the engine and out the exhaust. Make sure they had the DPF cleaned if not you may want to drop it and inspect for damage from the coolant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bates Lawn Care
01-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Turbos generally fail due to dirty oil, check the oil intervals. If the EGR cooler failed it sent coolant through the engine and out the exhaust. Make sure they had the DPF cleaned if not you may want to drop it and inspect for damage from the coolant.
Posted via Mobile Device they didn't put DPFs in till the 6.4s. My 06 6.0 Powerstroke doesn't have one. And it's got 181k on it and its stock never had a problem.

jrs.landscaping
01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
FICM's are another problem, make sure you bring it to a mechanic, or test the voltage yourself with a voltmeter. Low voltage will cause the FICM/low oil sensor and a few other computers :confused: to fail over time. 6k is a steal IMHO. I also agree with Clarklawn about dirty oil, it can cause the injectors to fail as well as the turbo.

Landrus2
01-22-2013, 09:12 AM
$6000 for a single cab with a 16ft flatbed on it. They have 3 of them to get rid of

At that price you can't go wrong:hammerhead:

clydebusa
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Man that is a good price!

Monroe74
01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Good buy. Most important thing is oil changes often and coolant flushes i change my fuel filters every other oil change.

psdnate
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
How many miles and is it a 4x4? Either way that sounds like a good price. I have an 04 6.0l and love it. Yeah I have had some problems but mine isn't stock either. Like others have said regular maintenance is important.

tinkerlawn
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
How many miles and is it a 4x4? Either way that sounds like a good price. I have an 04 6.0l and love it. Yeah I have had some problems but mine isn't stock either. Like others have said regular maintenance is important.

Nah its a 2wd with 120k on it.

Thanks for all of your guys responses. im meeting with him on friday so we'll see what happens. And if any of you guys are wanting one of these he has a few more identical ones with 120K for approx the same price located here in KC. They aren't on craigslist so he hasn't had much luck with selling them sitting outside of his shop. Go figure :rolleyes: haha

PlantscapeSolutions
01-23-2013, 01:32 AM
If you want to make the 6.0 durable you need to budget spending at least $3000 at the time of purchase. Head studs, aftermarket EGR cooler or delete, oil divider screen, aftermarket oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, and a few other odds and ends.

One of the many irritating things about the 6.0 is if the batteries get run down it will ruin the FICM or at least half of it. In the Ram or Dmax run down batteries don't hurt anything. My neighbor has a 6.0 company work truck and it blew a head gasket, warped the head, had the FICM issue, and other assorted problems. He has had to have his truck towed several times. His truck now has over 300K on it and he wants a Ram with a Cummins for his next truck.

I'm sure the company selling the trucks is likely worn out from the problems and this is why they are selling them just as the warranty has expired. I'd much rather get a used Cummins 5.9 if I were looking for a used work truck. The 5.9 goes back to 1989 and in stock form is durable engine you can buy. I don't mind spending a few grand on a Diesel engine but I had better get an extra 200 HP and 400 ft lbs or torque out of the deal.

A few grand to make a truck simply OK but still well below the durability of the Dmax and Cummins made at the same time would be a tough cookie to swallow.

integrityman
01-23-2013, 01:55 AM
If you want to make the 6.0 durable you need to budget spending at least $3000 at the time of purchase. Head studs, aftermarket EGR cooler or delete, oil divider screen, aftermarket oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, and a few other odds and ends.

One of the many irritating things about the 6.0 is if the batteries get run down it will ruin the FICM or at least half of it. In the Ram or Dmax run down batteries don't hurt anything. My neighbor has a 6.0 company work truck and it blew a head gasket, warped the head, had the FICM issue, and other assorted problems. He has had to have his truck towed several times. His truck now has over 300K on it and he wants a Ram with a Cummins for his next truck.

I'm sure the company selling the trucks is likely worn out from the problems and this is why they are selling them just as the warranty has expired. I'd much rather get a used Cummins 5.9 if I were looking for a used work truck. The 5.9 goes back to 1989 and in stock form is durable engine you can buy. I don't mind spending a few grand on a Diesel engine but I had better get an extra 200 HP and 400 ft lbs or torque out of the deal.

A few grand to make a truck simply OK but still well below the durability of the Dmax and Cummins made at the same time would be a tough cookie to swallow.

Yup. My mechanic and friend who owns a diesel service shop says avoid the ford 6.0 diesel like a cheap hooker with herpes. Good luck.

GrunderIrri
01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
The 6.0 all in all is not a terrible motor, after deleting my EGR, heads studs, and a mild tuner I love how it tows better than my old 7.3 and my 1st gen dodge. For 6k it is a deal, even if you use them for 2 - 3 years you should still be able to get close to that out of them. Regular maint. is a must on a 6.0 though, oil changes every 5000 - 7500 miles. Good luck

PlantscapeSolutions
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Yup. My mechanic and friend who owns a diesel service shop says avoid the ford 6.0 diesel like a cheap hooker with herpes. Good luck.

I would say the 6.0 has the clap not herpes. If you get the clap and catch it early on it can be treated. Your stuck with herpes for life. Personally, I rather not have herpes or the clap. Best medicine to avoid all problems is six in a row just like the big rigs.

I find it interesting the disparity in how long it took the Big Three to make a decent turbo Diesel. Dodge who never seemed to do anything earth shattering in the 80's pulled of a huge coup by getting the Cummins 12 valve 5.9 in 1989. Five years later in mid 94' came the Powerstroke 7.3 to replace the slower then death IDI. I would not consider GM's 6.5 Turbo to be a competitive motor. It really wasn't until 2001 that GM and Isuzu partnered up (GM owned a large stake in Isuzu) to make a viable 6.6 engine that used the common rail technology that was first developed in the 60's.