PDA

View Full Version : Best mower/livestock for 4+ acres

ldeloread
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
We're in the process of purchasing 5 acres, most cleared (see pic) with a pond/sm lake section in back. Over the next few years we would like to begin a mini-homestead kind of thing, with a garden and some livestock. Initially, we are going to have to mow until we decide where to fence and add livestock. What would be the best mower for this? Also, do any of you recommend which part we should fence first and if so, what type of livestock? We're thinking some miniature goats, a sheep or two, maybe a cow? My husband is focused more on the gardening end. With my country upbringing (and biology major) I'm more interested in the animals. I don't want my view of the pond from the back porch blocked unless absolutely necessary. He's thinking of putting the garden right there with an 8 ft. high deer fence. I can probably persuade him that the garden needs to go in front (toward the road) of the house. Anyway for the next couple of years, we are going to have to mow/cut. Any suggestions?

T Scapes
01-22-2013, 02:52 AM
A small compact tractor is what i would recommend. You can get a mid mount deck and im assuming your gonna need a loader for work around the farm which u can mount to the machine and with the 3 point hitch you have a wide array of attachments for it

Spring Valley Lawn Service
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Yea small tractor with mid mount or finishing mower. You could use a small bush hog also

Landrus2
01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
You can ask Krayzkajun to mow it for you.!:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

corey4671
01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Goats. A donkey or two. That's what I have. Rarely have to mow my back two acres that they are on
Posted via Mobile Device

avguy
01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Check out the JD 1026. I have the older version 2305. Mine has a FEL, 62" belly mower and numerous 3PH attachments. It's an extremely handy piece of equipment. Good Luck!

Capemay Eagle
01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice property! 5 acres with a lake is just what I would love to get. I was close awhile back with 2 1/2 acres with a stocked lake adjacent to the property, but some issues came up.

You could look into a ZTR with a rear discharge. But as a few have mentioned with what you plan on doing a tractor with a finish mower would probably serve you well.

Trophy05
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Compact John Deer w/ loader and finish mower.

ldeloread
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
I appreciate all the quick replies. How long will it take to mow with a small compact tractor vs. a ZTR? Our family had a small garden, horses plus various other critters and we never had a tractor. Granted, one would have been nice. For the few major projects my dad did, he either borrowed one or rented one. I'm more worried about the time involved in mowing. We have found 4 goats that need adopting (free - as long as we don't eat them:). Can we tether them until we get a fence up?

avguy
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Your speed on either machine is likely to be determined by how rough or smooth your lawn is. I've mowed my 2+ acres with both the JD 62" and the Exmark 48" WB. I'm never in any real hurry and have never mowed at full speed which is probably 6-8 MPH for both machines. If a tractor doesn't seem to be a good fit for you then get the zero turn. It will at least save you some time in that you can turn it around in a heart beat.

Smallaxe
01-27-2013, 09:23 AM
The thing we did as soon as we moved to our portion of the farm was to put a fence around the perimeter of the whole thing... then we put in the sub-fences for various paddocks in the rotation of pasture...

I did something rather unconventional that worked for our deer pressure w/out using an 8' woven wire fence and therefore did not block your view... there are a couple of simple variations that work well... If you're interested, let me know and I'll take the time to discuss it with you...

Congratulations on your Homestead... :)

ldeloread
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
I would be very interested in hearing about alternatives to an 8ft high deer fence!