PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone run an ad on Angie's List?

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi folks,

I had a few positive reviews posted on Angie's List and I now have an ad rep trying to sell me on running an ad. He says my listing would go to the top for lawn service(etc), in addition to a 30 sec commercial, all for $84/month.

Has anyone paid for a feature listing? If so, what kind of difference did it make? I've picked up only 1 customer from a standard listing after 6 months.

clydebusa
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Nope, I consider them like the BBB.

knox gsl
01-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I picked up a nice landscape rehab/install from it that I wouldn't have gotten without it. I also picked up a nice weekly mowing customer that gets some add on services. I am hoping it will really pay off in the Spring when everyone is looking for someone or to get better service.

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Knox,

How long has you ad been posted? For that kind of money I would hope to get a little more than 2 clients.

lkendall
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
put the 84 a month on google addwords and you will be the featured add on any search on google.. Waste of time as said above, as with bbb

knox gsl
01-22-2013, 08:39 PM
5 months, over all I am still better off with it than without. If I don't pick up 7-10 new customers this spring I may be singing a different tune.

JFGLN
01-23-2013, 12:18 AM
I tried it. Won't be doing it again.

cpllawncare
01-23-2013, 09:11 AM
We grew a lot last year from it, we run a featured ad and have over 20 positive reviews we also won the super service award last year which should help even more this year, it's NOT like the BBB, it just another way to come at potential customers, we've had people tell us it's the ONLY way they will hire a contractor. You HAVE to be GOOD though and run your business right or the customers will rake you over the coals. I have a good friend that built a million dollar business over the last two years using primarily Angies list, and yes even the BBB, which is used for credentials not gaining customers, people don't generally go to the BBB looking for contractors but just to verify they are legit.

dnc19694339
01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
they called me too and wanted $200/month!! Seemed pretty steep!

cpllawncare
01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
they called me too and wanted $200/month!! Seemed pretty steep!

Angies list or the BBB?

branchoutshrub
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
We haven't heard of Angie's List or BBB working very good for advertising.

H & M Yard Improvements
01-24-2013, 06:05 PM
I had someone that said they are planning on starting this spring ask me if you MUST be legit to advertise on Angie's list! I advised them that no matter what they are doing they better be legit! I've never used Angie's list so I wouldn't know!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rick Grantham
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
We grew a lot last year from it, we run a featured ad and have over 20 positive reviews we also won the super service award last year which should help even more this year, it's NOT like the BBB, it just another way to come at potential customers, we've had people tell us it's the ONLY way they will hire a contractor. You HAVE to be GOOD though and run your business right or the customers will rake you over the coals. I have a good friend that built a million dollar business over the last two years using primarily Angies list, and yes even the BBB, which is used for credentials not gaining customers, people don't generally go to the BBB looking for contractors but just to verify they are legit.

cpllawncare-

What you are saying makes sense. If the customers are going to Angie's List to find quality contractors --- then it makes sense to be there, particularly if you have good reviews. For $84 it seems worth a shot.

Rick

cpllawncare
01-24-2013, 10:51 PM
I would suggest talking to a AL Rep for your area, each area has it's own rep find out who or how many LCO's or landscaping companies your competing against. It may not work well in rural area's I don't know? I've talked to several companies that use it and have had much success with it, so I decided to try it last year and I too had good success with it, the clients I got from it were generally high end and ready to hire when they called, and obviously the more and better reviews you have the better quality and number of calls you'll receive. I can just tell you MY results, I do know you had better be set up right, and do high quality work or you will get run off of the site by the customers. I would highly suggest you be legit, although I don't know it's entirely required.I am always up front with customers about the risk of dealing with a non legit person.

imow in NC
01-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Nope, I consider them like the BBB.

I had 1 customer who posted 2 reviews on my company. A++. Was contacted by Angie's List and they discribed the program and how it works. That was 4 months ago, and I have picked up 5 new customers, and just completed 2 proposals; one for annual care contract on 500k property and the other for a complete makeover (11k). I think it is working very well for me since I have not spent any money...yet. I have links to web page and their phone ads for the older generation who needs work but do not do the internet. We are in a retirement haven. $148. a month (4.93 a day). How much would you spend on 2 beers after work? Just saying:hammerhead:

cpllawncare
01-25-2013, 01:31 AM
We haven't heard of Angie's List or BBB working very good for advertising.

That's because your not going to get many calls just from the free listing, and again the BBB is not an advertising medium, it's just a way to say I'M LEGIT and don't mind if you check to find out, if your a legit business it helps you stand out from the guy down the street.

clydebusa
01-25-2013, 09:37 AM
I had 1 customer who posted 2 reviews on my company. A++. Was contacted by Angie's List and they discribed the program and how it works. That was 4 months ago, and I have picked up 5 new customers, and just completed 2 proposals; one for annual care contract on 500k property and the other for a complete makeover (11k). I think it is working very well for me since I have not spent any money...yet. I have links to web page and their phone ads for the older generation who needs work but do not do the internet. We are in a retirement haven. $148. a month (4.93 a day). How much would you spend on 2 beers after work? Just saying:hammerhead:

:hammerhead:Back at you, still consider it like the BBB. Wait till someone post something bad and you have to defend yourself for not bidding on a job, or the customer is unreasonable, or just crazy. If it works for you great. But still like the BBB.

cpllawncare
01-25-2013, 10:08 AM
:hammerhead:Back at you, still consider it like the BBB. Wait till someone post something bad and you have to defend yourself for not bidding on a job, or the customer is unreasonable, or just crazy. If it works for you great. But still like the BBB.

Clyde,

You will get bad reviews no matter how hard you try, like any business, it's how you handle it that makes the difference, if you make a mistake admit it, correct it. Post a reply about what you did to correct the situation. Your SANE customers are very aware that there are bad customers out there and you can't please everyone all the time, I'll say it again, stay professional at all times! For every bad review I have, I have four good reviews, that trumps the bad ones everyday. So what if it's like the BBB? Are you afraid of people knowing how you do business?

clydebusa
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Not afraid at all what people say or think about my business. I am known as the company that can do anything and fix contractors mistakes. So word of mouth is my advertisement. So if AL and BBB works for you great. This started out as a thread that said what do you think about AL. Gave my opinion, if you want to dispute my opinion start another thread on You can't believe company don't like AL.

cpllawncare
01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Not afraid at all what people say or think about my business. I am known as the company that can do anything and fix contractors mistakes. So word of mouth is my advertisement. So if AL and BBB works for you great. This started out as a thread that said what do you think about AL. Gave my opinion, if you want to dispute my opinion start another thread on You can't believe company don't like AL.

Just saying, it works! that's what the OP wanted to know.

clydebusa
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
That is true. I would suggest doing a goole search on the goods and bads of AL. There is some good reading on it. And yes most of them didn't pay the $5.00 to report their findings, and I like the lawsuits that are against AL customers for slander.

cpllawncare
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Yea I've talked to my rep about that! If it's truly a slanderous review you can have it removed, but it's very hard, they are very concious about that.

JFGLN
01-25-2013, 11:40 AM
I received the super service award from Angie's list. Lots of good reviews but you will also have to deal with crap like this one. Remember, I didn't do any work for this person.

"I WAS HAPPY TO FIND THAT THIS GUY WAS CLOSE TO WHERE WE LIVE.I WOULD GIVE HIM AND F BUT HE DID CALL TO TELL ME THAT HE DOES NOT COME TO OUR LOCATION. HIS SHOP IS IN SHELTON AND WE ARE 20 MILES FROM THERE. WE GOT A GUY IN PORTLAND THAT WOULD DRIVE HERE.I THINK ANGIES HAS HIM FEELING SO IMPORTANT HE CANNOT WORK. THE FIRST CALL WAS A MESSAGE SAYING HE COULD NOT MOW BECAUSE OF RAIN, THAT WAS NOT TODAY AND WE DO NOT HAVE A YARD.I AM SORRY HE COULD NOT WORK FOR US.
WE CALLED HIM TWICE, THE FIRST ONE WAS A MACHINE SAYING HE COULD NOT WORK TODAY DUE TO RAIN, IT IS NOT RAINING AND WE DO NOT HAVE A LAWN.
THE SECOND TIME I LEFT A MESSAGE THAT WE DO NOT HAVE A LAWN.
HE CALLED BACK TO SAY THAT HE DOES NOT GO TO HOODSPORT WHICH IS 20 MILES FROM HIS SHOP.
Member Comments:
WE CALLED JEFF TWICE, THE FIRST ONE WAS A MACHINE SAYING HE WAS NOT WORKING TODAY DUE TO RAIN. IT IS NOT RAINING.
I CALLED BACK AND SAID WE DO NOT HAVE A LAWN.HE RETURNED THAT CALL AND SAID HE DOES NOT GO 20 MILES FROM HIS SHOP TO OUR HOME IN HOODSPORT.
I WOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM AN F EXCEPT HE DID RETURN MY CALL.
HE IS TOO BIG FOR HIS BRITCHES."

Company Response:
I explained to the member that her property is not in our service area. I referred her to another landscape company.

SouthValleyLandscapeMaint
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
BBB is up near 1k a year if you want to be accredited by them etc..... waste of time