PDA

View Full Version : New in Wisconsin

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone,im not only new here but also new in the lawn care business,this spring will be my 1st.I went and bought 1 zero turn,a 21 in push mower,blower ,weed wacker,truck and trailer, and a website www.jeniclawncare.com .i think i have enough to get started for just me.i dont have anysoftware yet,do i need any?what is good for a beginner?and any other tips for a new guy,thanks pete

Landrus2
01-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Hi everyone,im not only new here but also new in the lawn care business,this spring will be my 1st.I went and bought 1 zero turn,a 21 in push mower,blower ,weed wacker,truck and trailer, and a website www.jeniclawncare.com .i think i have enough to get started for just me.i dont have anysoftware yet,do i need any?what is good for a beginner?and any other tips for a new guy,thanks pete

Hello there Pete you just went out and bought all that.do you have acounts already for you to start. best of luck on your new bussiness :waving:

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 03:37 AM
hey joe what do you know,not a 1,the company i have worked for for the past 10yrs is closing in march,they arnt telling anyone yet i found out in oct and started to plan then,the good thing is i have no debt so i wont need to make money ,just work on growing the business(i have a wife that works and i have another part time job)but to anwser you not 1 customer,i havent been marketing to homeowners yet ,not the right time of year,i have just started doing some door to door with small commercial stuff,but just this week,thanks for the good luck i need it

wegomow
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Good luck with it. Sounds like you have the experience needed to succeed. Like the website, what program do you use to create and mail your newsletters?

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi wegomow (i like that name) its called Aweber,im not sure how good it is yet,im real new at all this stuff

wegomow
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks, I will look into awebber.

Rick13
01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Good luck with your new business, and the people here on Lawnsite are very helpful!

Swampy
01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Hey Pete, I'm just up HWY 83 from you in Hartland, WI. Good luck to this season, the first year is going to be a rough one until things start to settle in. I'm looking to restart my business this year, just like starting up again, hope to hear from you soon.

yardworkswi
01-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi Pete. Best of luck to you with your new business venture. Not intending to bash the site I think it is very nice (much nicer than mine) but I did notice 2 things you may want to look into.

1. At Jenic Lawn Care we believe in treating all our clients like out next door neighbor.

"our next door neighbor"

2. We are a team of individuals that live in the community. That means we understand the turf and tree and shrub and insect issues of this area.

"the turf, tree, shrub and insect issues of this area"
or
lump it together with something like " we understand the landscape issues you may face in this area"

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 08:17 PM
thanks yardworkswi,really thanks,i never noticed that,for some reason my home page is the only page i cant do anything on myself,i had someone set it up for me but i will send them an email,very cool and very helpful,glad you cought it before someone else,where in wi are you,pete

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
hi swampy ,thanks for the good luck,same to you,im not expecting alot just a start,i gotta start somewhere

locallawncare.ca
01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Best of luck, this past year was my first year too, I didnt start with any customer at all, just a will and a way, I would say hand out alot of flyers and post yard signs, in the beginning you wont be doing anything anyway, so door to door flyers worked well for me, fyi I edned up with 25 accounts(nostly weekly, a bunch bi-weekly), also did a ton of odd gardening jobs and pruning, lawn repairs etc. Dont limit yourself to grass cutting in the begining, it helps fill the time inbetween cutting days. Also dont expect a big pay check your first year, or one at all, lol. All the best, hope its goes well for you.

JenicLawnCare
01-23-2013, 08:41 PM
thanks locallawncare,i plan on handing out alot of flyers out,and post cards,i had a bunch of each made,just a bit too early for home owners here,i think early march

locallawncare.ca
01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Yeah I plan on doing the same again this year, not sure of weather where you are, but up here I would typically start spring clean up and aerations in April and start with flyers in March, you need to wait until spring is in the air. Im also thinking about using a mailing service for a few thousand or so flyers, it gets alot of them out there way quicker then one man can, kind of pricey though so Im on the fence about it.

skorum03
01-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Hey I'm in western wisconsin entering my second year but first year full time. Best of luck. Hopefully we get some snow so it isn't too dry to start things off.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

ryan41
01-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Hi Pete - I have a lawn/landscaping business out in East Troy. Were are you located? I mainly work in Elkhorn, East Troy & Mukwonago.

yardworkswi
01-24-2013, 11:18 AM
You're welcome. I am in Appleton. I service the entire Fox Cities area. I started out last year but got at it late with advertising and only picked up 3 lawn accts and one of them moved. I did about 500 door hangers with a special for leaf clean-ups and gutter cleaning and did not get a single call. The phone book got me the one lawn, a few gutter jobs, and a couple cleanups but that was it for year one and unless I get a ton this year will have another year as a part timer.

skorum03
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
You're welcome. I am in Appleton. I service the entire Fox Cities area. I started out last year but got at it late with advertising and only picked up 3 lawn accts and one of them moved. I did about 500 door hangers with a special for leaf clean-ups and gutter cleaning and did not get a single call. The phone book got me the one lawn, a few gutter jobs, and a couple cleanups but that was it for year one and unless I get a ton this year will have another year as a part timer.

Try posting some ads to craigslist. You might be surprised by the number of calls you get.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

locallawncare.ca
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
I second that, I used Kijiji, which is basically the same but more popular where i am, I was surprised I got some call from it, it also pays to have your ad at the top of the page, its a small price to pay for the added calls. Also use all forms of advertising, flyers, yard signs, truck logos, website, craiglist, etc. Each one helps, it was my first year too, but ended up with 25 accounts and a ton more odd jobs(people that dont mind cutting there grass but get you to do other stuff around the yard)

skorum03
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM

I second that, I used Kijiji, which is basically the same but more popular where i am, I was surprised I got some call from it, it also pays to have your ad at the top of the page, its a small price to pay for the added calls. Also use all forms of advertising, flyers, yard signs, truck logos, website, craiglist, etc. Each one helps, it was my first year too, but ended up with 25 accounts and a ton more odd jobs(people that dont mind cutting there grass but get you to do other stuff around the yard)

And i was also going to ad to this is get some logos on your truck and start driving around town with them ASAP get the name out there some how and its early so its a good time for people to start seeing it. Always helps if they recognize it. Yard signs too. Put one up in your yard. Just got to get your logo out there so it is recognizable.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

spazfam
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Pete, welcome to lawnsite and Lawn business. I am east of you and have been at this for about 9 years (21/2 with this venture) feel free to pm me should you have any questions I would be happy to try and help answer them.

yardworkswi
01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the advice Skorum. I do plan to expand my marketing plan this year with EDDM, craigslist, lettered truck, shirts, athletic team sponsorship, more web presence and possibly a well timed newspaper ad. The only thing I will not do again is door hangers. I made them myself (wouldn't have done all that myself but I have downtime at my job that I did then) They looked good just didnt have the gloss finish and only cost me $30 for an ink cartridge and i think $10 for paper. I made 1000 but the killer was passing them out it took forever and I only ended up getting 500 - 600 out. If I didnt have the fulltime job and had nothing else to do till mowing starts I would consider it.

ryan41
01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
EDDM is way to go. 5,000 cards printed, designed, sipped & postage cost runs right around $1,350.00