PDA

View Full Version : Echo Bed Redefiner

wegomow
01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
I have purchased the Echo Bed Redefiner and have been really happy with it's performance. The only drawback is if the soil is very moist I have to stop and scrape the accumulated dirt with a small putty knife. It does take a little practice to walk backwards and keep a straight line.
Here is the link, http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Bed-Redefiners

mark11771
01-23-2013, 03:18 PM
We use them as well, and under perfect conditions they work great. But, you are correct, they do clog when the soil is moist.

grassmasterswilson
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Can you guys tell me more? We normally edge beds with the trimmer held vertical. It's might allow us to keep a nice groove. Would definently help with Bermuda runners.

How does it hold up? How often have you replaced the cutting blade? Does it cover you in dirt? Give me all the details!,

Wegrow- our soils are pretty similar though I may have sandy loam and some clay.

wegomow
01-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Can you guys tell me more? We normally edge beds with the trimmer held vertical. It's might allow us to keep a nice groove. Would definently help with Bermuda runners.

How does it hold up? How often have you replaced the cutting blade? Does it cover you in dirt? Give me all the details!,

Wegrow- our soils are pretty similar though I may have sandy loam and some clay.

I don't do routine bed edging with it just bed defining when the edge needs it. It cuts a wide trench about 2-3 inches. Customers love it.
First seasons use it has held up well no problems. The cutting blade is holding up great so far. I don't really know how many hours on the unit.
The dirt doesn't cover you, your walk it backwards. See the video on the website link.

grassmasterswilson
01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I don't have many lawns that have been edged with a full size bed edger. Most of mine are done weekly with a trimmer turned vertical. They all have a pretty good edge.

That has been my concern with the hand held version.....that I would have to do more trenching the first few times. I could also use it to create edges on mulch jobs.

Had the local golf super ask me about it the other day. Maybe he will get one and let me demo it.

mark11771
01-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Definately a good tool for redefining existing mulch beds. Actually, I use them for creating a deep edge on new landscape installs as well. Walk behind bed edgers are good, but expensive, the Echo edgers are well built and very affordable. Also they are quicker than a common edging shovel or spade.

locallawncare.ca
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Good info, I have been wondering about these edgers, mainly for the spring when re-edging and occasionally the summer when they get washed out, or for new projects, etc. I run all stihl, may be a silly question, but would that head fit on a stihl? The stihl bed edger looks like crap and I dont think it would work well at all. Any additional information is greatly appreciated, Im sure it beats edging with a spade/edger/shovel.

grassmasterswilson
01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Good info, I have been wondering about these edgers, mainly for the spring when re-edging and occasionally the summer when they get washed out, or for new projects, etc. I run all stihl, may be a silly question, but would that head fit on a stihl? The stihl bed edger looks like crap and I dont think it would work well at all. Any additional information is greatly appreciated, Im sure it beats edging with a spade/edger/shovel.

The echo is a stand alone piece. Not sure you could change out attachments.

Grzube
01-24-2013, 09:09 PM
We bought one last season and was very pleased with the results.It works well when the bed edge is not too far gone, again with moist soil, it has to be cleaned out from time to time.

wegomow
01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
The bed redefiner is a straight shaft tool not an attachment.

Grzube
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
The bed redefiner is a straight shaft tool not an attachment.

We bought just the attachment, connects to any echo trimmer but a 24+cc has the needed power.

grassmasterswilson
01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys. Wonder if anyone might take some pics. The YouTube videos look almost a little too perfect.

I could see me using this every 2-3 weeks or more on beds with the mowing crew instead of edging with the trimmer every time.
Posted via Mobile Device

RLS 2010
01-25-2013, 07:38 AM
I wonder if you could use the redefiner blade on a Stihl stick edger?

patrick6411
01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
I have one that is an attachment and I love it!! Saves so much time both making a new bed and maintaining a current bed. As long as you donít get into rocks and stuff it will last forever. You can switch out the blade for a straight blade for doing sidewalks and driveways. It does take a moment to switch them out.
I also have the tiller attachment. The reason I got both of these was to maintain beds for me customers. It speeds up the process of it.

locallawncare.ca
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Wondering if just the blade itself would fit on a stihl edger? or even the attachment on a straight shaft? thanks.

patrick6411
01-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Wondering if just the blade itself would fit on a stihl edger? or even the attachment on a straight shaft? thanks.

Don't think it will.

gene gls
01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Go easy on rocky areas. Those blades are $450.00 to replace.

wegomow
01-28-2013, 07:31 AM

:nono::nono::nono: I found the Blade (claw) online from a mower parts place for $100.00 and another on Ebay for $80.00

grassmasterswilson
01-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Wise sales a advertiser here has them for 75

Can't decide if I want to pull the trigger and give it a try

Deererunner
01-29-2013, 08:29 AM

$450?! I have been quoted numerous times at $100 from my dealer and they are always the most expensive for parts. Like others have said in this thread and I just posted in another, I looked last year into putting just the blade on a stihl ( preferrablly on a fs100, I think that's the most powerful stihl edger) and the blade should fit. I believe the arbor size is the same. You would just also have to mount the for the bed edger onto the stihl. I think this spring I will be trying it out and will let everyone know about my results.

Big reason for me to running a stihl instead of the echo is I don't believe the echo has enough torque for the blade, I could be wrong though but I do know the stihls always produce more torque. If you watch the echo YouTube videos just sounds like the echo is bogging down an struggling.

Anyone who does own the echo, does it seem to lack power?
Posted via Mobile Device

wegomow
01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
It is powerful enough at 28 cc in ideal conditions. If the soil is too wet the soil cakes up on the shield and you have to scrape it with a putty knife often. If the soil is clay and it's very dry that also bogs down the machine. Also the depth of the trench is adjustable, so the deeper you set it the slower your pace is.
Consider that the blade, (claw) is 3 inches wide and if placed on another machine you still lack the extra wide 5 inch shield and flap that throws the dirt forward and into the bed as you walk it backward. Working without the shield the blade would fling soil all over the place as well as the operator. It really moves quite a bit of soil as it trenches.

Deererunner
01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
It is powerful enough at 28 cc in ideal conditions. If the soil is too wet the soil cakes up on the shield and you have to scrape it with a putty knife often. If the soil is clay and it's very dry that also bogs down the machine. Also the depth of the trench is adjustable, so the deeper you set it the slower your pace is.
Consider that the blade, (claw) is 3 inches wide and if placed on another machine you still lack the extra wide 5 inch shield and flap that throws the dirt forward and into the bed as you walk it backward. Working without the shield the blade would fling soil all over the place as well as the operator. It really moves quite a bit of soil as it trenches.

Yeah I would also attach the shield to the new machine, not smart to work without it. Do you think though the extra 3 or 4 cc's would help out in the less ideal conditions? I'm sure it wouldt in the wet conditions but why about the dry ones?
Posted via Mobile Device

gene gls
01-29-2013, 04:45 PM
$450?! I have been quoted numerous times at $100 from my dealer and they are always the most expensive for parts. Like others have said in this thread and I just posted in another, I looked last year into putting just the blade on a stihl ( preferrablly on a fs100, I think that's the most powerful stihl edger) and the blade should fit. I believe the arbor size is the same. You would just also have to mount the for the bed edger onto the stihl. I think this spring I will be trying it out and will let everyone know about my results.

Big reason for me to running a stihl instead of the echo is I don't believe the echo has enough torque for the blade, I could be wrong though but I do know the stihls always produce more torque. If you watch the echo YouTube videos just sounds like the echo is bogging down an struggling.

Anyone who does own the echo, does it seem to lack power?
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought one when they first came out and was quoted $450.00 for a replacement blade. There must be several after market blade makers now to get the price down to what is being displayed. I wish I had kept mine instead of selling it with the business.

wegomow
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
I bought one when they first came out and was quoted $450.00 for a replacement blade. There must be several after market blade makers now to get the price down to what is being displayed. I wish I had kept mine instead of selling it with the business.

Jeez, the whole unit sells for $600?

1998tahoe
02-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I bought a blade and put it on my Stihl FC95. It works real well. Tried an Echo out. It is NOT a Stihl. Not enough power. Now I see where Stihl is coming out with a bed re-definer. That will be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deererunner
02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I bought a blade and put it on my Stihl FC95. It works real well. Tried an Echo out. It is NOT a Stihl. Not enough power. Now I see where Stihl is coming out with a bed re-definer. That will be nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you have to modify anything or did the. Last fit right on? If you were able to, would you put the blade on a FC 110 or do you think the FC 95 is plenty? I have to buy a new edger this year and def going to e putting the echo blade on for the beds so I am just trying to decide wether I want to go with the 95 or the 110. Thanks! You statement was exactly what I was looking for!
Posted via Mobile Device

1998tahoe
02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Did you have to modify anything or did the. Last fit right on? If you were able to, would you put the blade on a FC 110 or do you think the FC 95 is plenty? I have to buy a new edger this year and def going to e putting the echo blade on for the beds so I am just trying to decide wether I want to go with the 95 or the 110. Thanks! You statement was exactly what I was looking for!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

It fit on it fine. The FC95 has plenty of power. I also have a 110 and have used it on it also. Could not tell a lot of difference. We have red clay around here and it does just fine

Deererunner
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It fit on it fine. The FC95 has plenty of power. I also have a 110 and have used it on it also. Could not tell a lot of difference. We have red clay around here and it does just fine

Awesome, just the information I was looking for. I don't have any clay around me do it sounds like I will be good with either of the two edger and the blade. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
02-11-2013, 04:06 AM
We bought just the attachment, connects to any echo trimmer but a 24+cc has the needed power.

i was wondering about how much, i remember i once priced just the head, cuz it will bolt up to the 280t just fine. i think it was still kinda pricey, at least 250, but cant remember.