PDA

View Full Version : Do you plow snow?

Landscraper1
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Just curious. Any LCO's out there not plow during the winter? If not, why? This question is for the full time, LCO's, that live in areas that have snow in the winter. Thx

lawnkingforever
01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
I finally gave in this year and jumped into the snow removal game. I do a few of my own accounts and sub off another guy for most of the work. But I have many reasons for not wanting to do it in the past. Now I live in an area where snow is very sporadic, it could snow a lot or very minimal.

1. Expensive equipment sitting idle.
2. Watching tv/smart phone constantly checking weather
3. Not having freedom to travel during winter
4. Kids are pulled from daycare after lawn season, so hard to
find daycare on short notice if wife is working
5. Hard to find any help for this type of work
6. After long mowing season, having some down time is nice
7. Pay is good. But slow.
8. Hard to get a parttime job, when you have to do snow
removal on a whim.
9. I absolutely hate cold weather

This year was a test run. If I feel like it is worth my while I will roll it out full blown next year. I will offer it to all of my mowing clients next year. I know many will take me up on it. Did not want to go all in just in case I decide not to do it again next year. Being a sub for most of my work is nice, I am going to Florida in 2 weeks and dont have to worry about it snowing while I am gone. The guy has to find someone else while I am gone, not me. Right now I am 50/50 on next year. Life is too short to be miserable and I work enough during mowing season.
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlBR600
01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Well this is my second season plowing snow and i can say this will probably be the last. I have a full route and tons of accounts both residential and commerical. There is no money in plowing when it doesnt snow! Weve plowed 4 times in the past 22 months here in Michigan. Basically you might make money one year and the next you might not make a dime. so if you average it out through five years your not making hardly any money. So would i recommend geting into plowing? Not if your going to rely on the income plowing MAY bring during the winter months

kranker022
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
I plow snow during the winter months in ohio. Like the poster above me, it has barely snowed here the last 2 seasons. I am not a huge outfit but i have enough work to send out two trucks every time it snows. I have been able to save plenty of money throughout the growing season to support myself through winter months, but it is nice to bring in that extra 1k in a days work whenever it snows. There is some money to be made, but i dont look at snow removal as a reliable income obviously. The people making all the money are the ones who sub out all the work, and the ones who have their loaders and equipment sitting steady on the larger properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

locallawncare.ca
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
I do residential snow removal, but with snow-blowers and shovels, all the properties I do are under agreement(contract) so price is consistent through the season. Its my first year in business so I only have about 15 snow accounts, but I enjoy it, you gotta do something. Yeah finding a part time job is next to impossible, income is poor, but I just started out, if you get 40-60 houses, then you are set and can do them in a reasonable amount of time ervery snow fall.

Landrus2
01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
We plow snow lately we haven't been plowing there is no snow :waving:

grandview (2006)
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I do plow. All seasonal.Hi.PS guys!:waving:

JB1
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
We used to back in the days when we used to get snow.

KS_Grasscutter
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
In theory, yes. My promotional material says I do. I've had ONE "plowable" snow in the last 2 seasons. And that one I only did driveways that face north (shade, wouldn't melt) because we only got like an inch. I have 1 commercial lot and 2 dozen driveways that I do with an ATV and a single stage blower. I would like to set up a truck with a plow and get some more lots but I keep having trouble justifying to myself that it's a good idea to tie up money in equipment that will get used a MAX of 5 times per season, and more likely 0 to 2.

Richard Martin
01-24-2013, 07:24 AM
We do get snow here and I was contacted by Sheetz about plowing their 4 locations here in Greenville. I said thanks but no thanks. It doesn't snow enough to justify the expense both in plow equipment and a decent 3/4 ton 4X4 truck.

hackitdown
01-24-2013, 07:25 AM
You cannot depend on plowing for income.

I have been plowing for 5 or 6 years. The first 4 years were great. In fact, when I started, I spent $18K on a truck and plow, and billed $14K the first season, solo. The 2nd year was just about as good, truck was now paid for, and some money in my pocket. I added a 2nd truck and plow year 3 and 4, and got average snow, but the investment paid off well, and kept my employee engaged over the winter. I also do my driveway, my sister's driveway, my mother-in-law's, and an investment house, saving good money for me and mine.

Last year it snowed twice. Ouch. This year so far, it has snowed 3 times. Not good.

The thing is...in Massachusetts you need to plow because some customers want a year round service. They only want to get one bill from one guy they trust. If you don't plow, you lose business to "one-stop-shops".

jrs.landscaping
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
We plow, keeps our guys busy during the off months. The last 2 years have been great for us, all contract lots payup

Landscraper1
01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
We have been plowing for many years and believe me, I HATE IT. Not the actual plowing itself but, the stress that comes with it. As far as the expense of equipment, that's minimal. I don't buy a truck just to plow. I buy a truck to work landscaping 1st, then, I look at it for snow. Extra equipment for snow are sanders, plows, and snow blowers.

Although I hate the snow business, the money is too good to give it up. What else are we going to do in the winter?

94gt331
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
We have been plowing for many years and believe me, I HATE IT. Not the actual plowing itself but, the stress that comes with it. As far as the expense of equipment, that's minimal. I don't buy a truck just to plow. I buy a truck to work landscaping 1st, then, I look at it for snow. Extra equipment for snow are sanders, plows, and snow blowers.

Although I hate the snow business, the money is too good to give it up. What else are we going to do in the winter?

Exactly my thoughts!

jones68
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I plow mostly residential. use my 2500 dodge diesel with 8ft fisher, snow blowers, shovels, and for these nice light fluffy storms i use the redmax 8500 backpack blower (it works great for sidewalks in this fluff)!!!!!! :gunsfirin

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-24-2013, 02:21 PM
For the last two seasons, what snow?
Snow removal isn't even in the front of my mind anymore as it never snows to the trigger point.

grandview (2006)
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
For the last two seasons, what snow?
Snow removal isn't even in the front of my mind anymore as it never snows to the trigger point.

A seasonal contract dream.:weightlifter:

branchoutshrub
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
We picked up more snow accounts this winter, but with the lack of snow, the equipment sits around. Thank goodness for contracts!!!

32vld
01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
I do mostly residential snow. However I was referred to 1 business that wanted their small property done.

Snow is not consist ant enough to count on making money every year. Though there are good years. There is no guaranteed that there will be enough work to invest in the equipment if you have to have the work to pay off the loans.

Snow is worth the effort because it keeps other LCO's off of your customers property which helps to keep you from losing customers.

Snow removal has gotten me new landscape customers.

When it does snow the money is good. So idle time is turned into money making time during the off season.

hi_speedreed
01-25-2013, 02:03 PM
I do not. It snows so little around here and so sporadically the investment in equipment would take a long time to recoup. I also enjoy having the downtime to do other things.

clydebusa
01-25-2013, 02:12 PM
I do and it just so I can have some major accounts that want a 1 company service. So do I make money, the question is yes, I wouldn't have some of the commercial jobs without it.

elitelawnteam1
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Plow + Scrap

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
A seasonal contract dream.:weightlifter:

I don't do commercial though, and resi's will never sign a snow contract same as they won't sign a mowing contract in the summer.

T Scapes
01-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Snow money is just extra money to me. I have a truck and a tractor. Plow came with the truck and bought a salter and pusher for the tractor. We just got our first plowable snow this year. Ill plow for the for future ahead but i always budget my summer money incase we dont have any snow.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't think I ever want to do it again. Iv made very little money from it and the aggravation factor was huge. Setting an alarm to get up in 2 or 3 hours because it starts snowing at your bed time was not to enjoyable. Waking up just 3 hours later to find in 3 hours we went from half an inch to 18 will stay with me always. Waking up a 7 am once to angry calls because the weathermen at 11 pm predicted a "dusting" and were off by 9 inches is still etched in my mind 10 years latter. Watching grown men break down in the deep storms and quit leaving you with no one and guaranteeing you a 24 hour shift is not that much fun. But what bugged me more than anything was time management when I mow I plan on 10-11 hour shifts and expect to make money over that time. But when you do snow for residential how long can you expect them to wait 4-6 hours tops. There are plenty that all want to be out for 7 am and they are never close and its never doable. And so your stuck trying to make some money with few hours to do it in.

I considered plowing streets but was saddened to find out that 4500s are not considered here and they want all the street trucks to be 26000 gvw plus. And then you gota take into effect if you get the contract its on an on call basis only so they call you and your suppose to just be sitting by the phone with your trucks waiting.

Now the last time I did this was 2010 and I was using a clients plow truck that he provided. He's rich and owns a dealership to go with all his other businesses so I had dealer plates all winter and did just his dozen accounts. I babied that truck and treated it as if it was my own and he still got the pleasure of putting in a new transmission for the guy they sold it to that spring. And that reminds me that I pay enough in truck repairs as is and plowing multiplies that and reduces the overall life of the truck.

And it wouldn't do much of anything to stop my guys collecting on me in the winter. They would apply and collect as normal and when they did have a storm it would be deducted from their freebie welfare check and that actually upsets them like some how they earned a 3 month paid vacation for working 40 weeks. I suppose I could pay them cash but why should I pay income tax on money they get.

CreativeLawncareSolutions
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
I make an absolute killing doing snow...when it actually snows. Why on earth anyone wouldn't plow snow is beyond me. It's easy, mindless work. Too cold? Don't do sidewalks. I never even get out of the truck. We bill out 5-6k per event.

My plow truck was less than 6k with plow! EASY money. Super easy money.

jrs.landscaping
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
I make an absolute killing doing snow...when it actually snows. Why on earth anyone wouldn't plow snow is beyond me. It's easy, mindless work. Too cold? Don't do sidewalks. I never even get out of the truck. We bill out 5-6k per event.

So you bill out 6k per event with one truck?

01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
So you bill out 6k per event with one truck?

Nope, my father has an F150 as his 2005 F350 engine blew in October. 2 trucks...5-6k per event. About 45-50 man hours between us (about a day straight of plowing) to finish. My gas usually costs me about $130-$140 to do the entire route.

Snow plowing is ridiculously easy money. I cannot even fathom why anyone wouldn't want to do it.

kmzlawncare
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I've been plowing snow for 23 yrs. and yes it can be stressful but you can make some extra money in the winter.But I don't think we get as much snow as we us to in my area we normally get around 4 snows all winter and we already had 2 .

JB1
01-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I've been plowing snow for 23 yrs. and yes it can be stressful but you can make some extra money in the winter.But I don't think we get as much snow as we us to in my area we normally get around 4 snows all winter and we already had 2 .

Sounds like here,, we are doing way more salting than pushing the last couple of years.

kmzlawncare
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Ya we don't make as much money salting.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-31-2013, 12:26 AM
Last day of Jan and we have had one plow-able event here perhaps 2 if you count the one that melted by that evening. Now we have the shortest month coming up and the 10 day looks pretty clear if I was counting on snow money to get me through this would be the 2nd year in a row we wouldn't make any.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-31-2013, 12:28 AM

Can't make that easy money if it never snows past trigger.
I am set to make ZERO on pushing for the month of January. And I live in MN. Heck, its to the point I wake up in the mornings and don't even think about it anymore.

fentonlawncare
01-31-2013, 03:43 AM
Here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have had 2 snowfalls that met our trigger. Over half of my customers are on season contracts and that includes my residentials. I have 17 customers this year for snow plowing (first season) and did pretty well. Why is it some of you aren't able to get season contracts?

01-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Can't make that easy money if it never snows past trigger.
I am set to make ZERO on pushing for the month of January. And I live in MN. Heck, its to the point I wake up in the mornings and don't even think about it anymore.

Oh, I know. I didn't plow at all in 2011-2012 winter. This winter I've dropped the blades on 3 seperate occasions, but the last time was just for 5 hours.

I believe in 2008-2010 we billed out 100k or so. Now it won't even snow.

What can you do?

01-31-2013, 07:58 AM
Also, you can get a great used plow for 2k, Heck, I bought another truck and had it installed with mounting bracket for $1700. There's deals out there if you do a little investigative work.

Darryl G
01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah I plow. I actually started plowing a few years before I started my lawn care business. I had a truck and plow for personal use and would plow a half dozen accounts on my way to and from my full time job. Some good points brought up about it. I do it mainly because I have lawn care customers who want it and I don't want them to hire someone else, who would likely be another landscaper. In fact I have picked up quite a few lawn care customers from plowing. But it is rough on me and on my truck and the income isn't reliable. One problem with it is that if you take on enough customers to bring in good money for the smaller storms it can be hard to get to them all in a timely manner for the bigger storms. I used to take any and ever account I could and my route just got too big area-wise and time-wise. It came with a lot of stress and sometimes resulted in me remaining out after me or my truck (or both) were no longer in any condition to still be plowing. I had an aging dedicated plow truck and made the decision to cut my route down to my core customers and a few others that were all very close to my home and cut all of my commercial accounts which required frequent service and exposed me to significant legal liabilities.

I have since sold that truck and put a plow on my newer truck. At that point I also changed how I billed. I used to bill "per push" with a push being defined as up to 6 inches. I now bill based on how much snow we get. I set a base rate for each account for up to 4 inches. 4 to 6 inches gets billed at 1.5 times the base rate, 6 to 8 gets billed at 2.0 times etc. So now I roll out as soon as we get 2 or 3 inches and can keep all of my accounts accessible at all times. They'll all close and for big storms I just open them up quickly and come back to do the detail work after the snow has stopped. Basically I increased both my pricing and the level of service I provide and that works out better for both me and my customers. I continue to be very selective taking on new accounts. I also close my list as soon as storm warnings are up. Everyone and their brother wants to be plowed when the big storms roll through. Not that I won't service some of them after my core customers are serviced (I have wifey keep a "call-back" list), but the accounts I want are the ones that leave it up to me when to plow and who want service even for the 2 inch storms.

One thing to consider is that plowing is essentially an emergency service with, as Kelly pointed out, a short window to get it all done in. You need to have a flexible schedule and be dedicated to doing what it takes to get it done and to get it done quickly and to be on-call from Thanksgiving to Easter 24/7. That's what it amounts to in my area anyway.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area we have had 2 snowfalls that met our trigger. Over half of my customers are on season contracts and that includes my residentials. I have 17 customers this year for snow plowing (first season) and did pretty well. Why is it some of you aren't able to get season contracts?

Now how many of those contracts will renew next season knowing you did not do any work for them this year? As a homeowner, I know I would not be paying that again.

orangemower
01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Ya we don't make as much money salting.

I get 38 cents a pound to spread salt. The places I salt take 4 50lb bags each to cover on average. So in two places that I salt, it takes 20 minutes to get to both, salt them and come home. I pay 5.15 a bag so that's 41.20 in salt leaving me 262.80 in gross income for 20 minutes of my time. It's hard to beat $13 a minute.

01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
We just had about an inch dropped here in Cincy! Some of my commercials are worried about getting sued if someone slips and falls....looks like I may be plowing tommorrow.

Cha-Ching!

kmzlawncare
02-01-2013, 06:03 AM
I get 38 cents a pound to spread salt. The places I salt take 4 50lb bags each to cover on average. So in two places that I salt, it takes 20 minutes to get to both, salt them and come home. I pay 5.15 a bag so that's 41.20 in salt leaving me 262.80 in gross income for 20 minutes of my time. It's hard to beat $13 a minute.

I didn't say I didn't make any money but when we plow my gross is a lot more money then just salting. I know it's takes a lot less time to salt but I look at the bottom number not all my customers want ice melt but they all want plowed.

02-01-2013, 06:17 AM
3 more inches of accumulation by Sunday morning here in Cincy. It's going to be a looooooong weekend.

Darryl G
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
This is how a local guy by me charges. If you want a driveway plowed and the garage front shoveled it's gonna cost you a minimum of $70. And this per minute stuff...WTF. What's he do, run a stop watch?

RESIDENTIAL:

$50 plus tax for the first 6 minutes of service.
Additonal time bills at $7/min and may be needed for houses on busy streets, large accumulations of snow, excessive backblading, circular driveways, steep hills, driveways with limited or no place to put snow or those driveways that dead end at a garage door with retaining walls on both sides of the driveway. If you require any shoveling, like the strip of snow the plow cannot get at in front of the garage door or a walkway, see below for the schedule of charges.

SHOVELING: $20/man plus tax minimum for the first 6 minutes. Additional time if needed is $1.50/minute/man.

SANDING: $150/yard spread plus tax, 1/2 yard minimum

COMMERCIAL:

$150 minimum for the first 1/2 hour plus tax. Additional time is billed in 1/4 hour increments for any part of that time plus tax. Walkway clearing is additional and bills at $45 plus tax minimum for the first 1/2 hour. Additional time is billed in 1/4 hour increments thereafter for any part of that time plus tax.

94gt331
02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
This is how a local guy by me charges. If you want a driveway plowed and the garage front shoveled it's gonna cost you a minimum of $70. And this per minute stuff...WTF. What's he do, run a stop watch?

RESIDENTIAL:

$50 plus tax for the first 6 minutes of service.
Additonal time bills at $7/min and may be needed for houses on busy streets, large accumulations of snow, excessive backblading, circular driveways, steep hills, driveways with limited or no place to put snow or those driveways that dead end at a garage door with retaining walls on both sides of the driveway. If you require any shoveling, like the strip of snow the plow cannot get at in front of the garage door or a walkway, see below for the schedule of charges.

SHOVELING: $20/man plus tax minimum for the first 6 minutes. Additional time if needed is $1.50/minute/man.

SANDING: $150/yard spread plus tax, 1/2 yard minimum

COMMERCIAL:

$150 minimum for the first 1/2 hour plus tax. Additional time is billed in 1/4 hour increments for any part of that time plus tax. Walkway clearing is additional and bills at $45 plus tax minimum for the first 1/2 hour. Additional time is billed in 1/4 hour increments thereafter for any part of that time plus tax.

This guy is a ass. But there's lots of guys like that out there that charge like that. They try to meet there entire winter budget in 1 or 2 stroms. People will argue with me about it, saying it's good buisness and ther not lowballing get real there only screwing people.

Darryl G
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I consider getting in front of the garage doors part of the job and don't charge extra for it. I do charge extra for sidewalks, but I have a few elderly customers who are also lawn care customers and have small sidewalks that I don't charge extra.

02-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Coming down hard and fast here in Cincy right now. Heavy stuff expected to be done by noon. It's gonna be a long night. It's also going to be a very profitable night.

orangemower
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I'll be on my atv in the f'in freezing cold to do my roads and driveways. Some old man fell asleep going down the highway and totaled my truck this past Tuesday.

Darryl G
02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I'll be on my atv in the f'in freezing cold to do my roads and driveways. Some old man fell asleep going down the highway and totaled my truck this past Tuesday.
Well that sucks! The bright side is that an ATV is more maneuverable for those tight spots. :waving:

RSK Property Maintenance
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Also, you can get a great used plow for 2k, Heck, I bought another truck and had it installed with mounting bracket for $1700. There's deals out there if you do a little investigative work.

there absolutely are, I did it, I picked up my 96 f350 powerstroke 7.3 with 238,000 miles for 3500 with fisher minute mounts and wiring, and then picked up the original plow that was bought new in 96 with the truck for another 300, not working, knowing it needed a headlight wiring harness which cost 136 from fisher in maine. and I just started plowing in 2011 with 0 accounts, got 20 my first year, and another 25 my second year, and I stopped advertising for snow removal in december 2012, as of right now I cover 7 towns with one truck do all residential, and my average driveway is 45 or 50 but in december i'm raising my plowing prices, on all driveways that are below 50 dollars. with one truck, i'm busy for 18-20hrs which is too long for me and for customers, but the addition of second truck would mean i need to find more work closer to my other accounts to keep profits high. right now my whole route is about 140 or 50 miles and cost about 85 dollars in diesel. I end up around 140hr as an average. sometimes its over 200/hr but then i have some accounts with a lot of drive time, like 15-20 mins.

hopefully this summer i'll pick up an 94-97 f350 dump truck with a mm plow and throw a sander on that, and i would like to pick up an 2008-10 f350 reg. cab and throw a stainless v plow on that. and pick up some commercial work. i need more work closer together I have alot of times where i'll do two driveways for 40 dollars and they both only take 15 mins and there is no drive time, because they are neighbors

RSK Property Maintenance
02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
oh i forgot to add i picked up a toro single stage snow blower for sidewalks for 100 dollars, it is 10 years old but it starts every time and pays for itself every time, i take it out along with my plow, and the portion of my truck that i bought with truck pays for its self every time. also the way to make money with plowing is to set the trigger at 1" or close to an inch so when there is a little under an inch like these little storms we just got in the past week you plow all your accounts and still make money. vs. waiting for 2" or more might only happen twice a season. almost all my customers are at 2" or more which will change in december, I'm telling them i'm doing there driveway around 1" that way i get out as much as possible. I know i can get new accounts very easily, and enforce a 50 dollar minimum from 1-6 including sidewalks pretty easily. unless the driveway is long or up a hill or something extreme

02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
oh i forgot to add i picked up a toro single stage snow blower for sidewalks for 100 dollars, it is 10 years old but it starts every time and pays for itself every time, i take it out along with my plow, and the portion of my truck that i bought with truck pays for its self every time. also the way to make money with plowing is to set the trigger at 1" or close to an inch so when there is a little under an inch like these little storms we just got in the past week you plow all your accounts and still make money. vs. waiting for 2" or more might only happen twice a season. almost all my customers are at 2" or more which will change in december, I'm telling them i'm doing there driveway around 1" that way i get out as much as possible. I know i can get new accounts very easily, and enforce a 50 dollar minimum from 1-6 including sidewalks pretty easily. unless the driveway is long or up a hill or something extreme

The dang weather people got me all excited this morning...we only got an inch. Oh well.

I started out like you. Doing residentials with sidewalks and such. It's great money. Now I don't even have to get out of my truck. Work hard to get those cushy commercial jobs. You'll actually probably make less per hour...but you won't even have to wear a coat. Hell, I plow in flip flops. Seriously.

lawnsforless
02-02-2013, 05:41 PM
I currently do a small business in snow blowing during the winter months. I do not plow due to the amount of money it would cost to repair my truck to handle the weight and operation of a plow as well as the added cost of the snow plow. So instead of spending thousands of dollars for less than 1,000 I got a 24 inch snow blower and a 30 dollar shovel.
On average a drive takes 10 minutes or less from the time I take the blower off the truck and put it back on the truck. So yes it takes longer than plowing, but the gas savings and truck wear and tear savings are worth it.

I can do 10-15 houses and sidewalks on a tank of gas with the snow blower, which costs me roughly one dollar to fill up. That is about 10 cents to 25 cents of fuel cost per house( not including travel time).

I hope to next year make enough in the other months to not do snow removal, because I hate the on call the entire winter, for not enough money to justify it. It is a risk because other outfits can come in and take the business in the other seasons from you if they do a great job plowing, but that is just that much more incentive to take extra good care of them every chance you get.

You can find more information about our snow and other services at:
lawnsforless.biz

LandFakers
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I have a buddy who I drive for. He just has me take care of 4 lots, 2 walmarts, and a liquor store and lumberyard. The walmarts want black ground 24/7 and Im happy because I usually can get 20 or more hours per storm, and I dont have to worry about trucks and breakdowns. Ill be doing this for aslong as I can

Darryl G
02-02-2013, 05:47 PM
there absolutely are, I did it, I picked up my 96 f350 powerstroke 7.3 with 238,000 miles for 3500 with fisher minute mounts and wiring, and then picked up the original plow that was bought new in 96 with the truck for another 300, not working, knowing it needed a headlight wiring harness which cost 136 from fisher in maine. and I just started plowing in 2011 with 0 accounts, got 20 my first year, and another 25 my second year, and I stopped advertising for snow removal in december 2012, as of right now I cover 7 towns with one truck do all residential, and my average driveway is 45 or 50 but in december i'm raising my plowing prices, on all driveways that are below 50 dollars. with one truck, i'm busy for 18-20hrs which is too long for me and for customers, but the addition of second truck would mean i need to find more work closer to my other accounts to keep profits high. right now my whole route is about 140 or 50 miles and cost about 85 dollars in diesel. I end up around 140hr as an average. sometimes its over 200/hr but then i have some accounts with a lot of drive time, like 15-20 mins.

hopefully this summer i'll pick up an 94-97 f350 dump truck with a mm plow and throw a sander on that, and i would like to pick up an 2008-10 f350 reg. cab and throw a stainless v plow on that. and pick up some commercial work. i need more work closer together I have alot of times where i'll do two driveways for 40 dollars and they both only take 15 mins and there is no drive time, because they are neighbors

Warning, warning, warning!! You sound like me when I first started plowing. If you're taking 18 to 20 hours to do your route with the type of storms we've had in the last couple years, you're wayyyyy overbooked in my opinion. If we get a blizzard, you are screwed. You will not be able to get to your accounts during the storm, so you'll be doing all of them with 18 inches or so of snow on them. It will take you 3 or 4 days, if your truck survives! You need to tighten and weed out that route and keep it under 10 hours for a normal storm...just an opinion from someone who's been there. If anything, that second truck should be a backup....

jrs.landscaping
02-02-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree with Darryl,
Any route longer than 10 hrs is pushing it during those 12"+ Noreasters. The Noreaster this year rendered our loader useless and we were on site the whole storm. That heavy snow is brutal to move even if you are keeping up with it.

02-02-2013, 06:03 PM
If we got a foot of snow here people would probably commit mass suicide. We get half an inch and people go crazy. It's hilarious.

Darryl G
02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
One thing you may want to do if you're route is that long. Run it in one direction one storm and then run it backwards the next. That way the same customers on the tail end of your route aren't having to wait so long each time. Of course, then all of them are waiting a long time sometimes, but it is something to consider.

I actually have 3 legs to my route, basically 3 different loops that I can combine into only 2 if I want to. I have some customers that get priority service each storm (my high end lawn care customers) and some that are always on the tail end (my low budget seniors), but I do reserve the order of the ones I run in between them.

Darryl G
02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I was down in Dallas one time when they got a dusting. I found it histerical the way they reacted...it was like the apcocalypse was upon them! :laugh:

02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I was down in Dallas one time when they got a dusting. I found it histerical the way they reacted...it was like the apcocalypse was upon them! :laugh:

Every carton of milk and loaf of bread in the Dallas/Fort Worth area was sold out in 10 minutes flat. Haha....that's how it is here too.

GQLL
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Virginia doesn't get much snow but when we do people pay big money to get it removed. We have a plow on one truck and 2 track loader that we run pushers on. Yes it cost money to get in to it but one good storm and it all paid for.

RSK Property Maintenance
02-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Warning, warning, warning!! You sound like me when I first started plowing. If you're taking 18 to 20 hours to do your route with the type of storms we've had in the last couple years, you're wayyyyy overbooked in my opinion. If we get a blizzard, you are screwed. You will not be able to get to your accounts during the storm, so you'll be doing all of them with 18 inches or so of snow on them. It will take you 3 or 4 days, if your truck survives! You need to tighten and weed out that route and keep it under 10 hours for a normal storm...just an opinion from someone who's been there. If anything, that second truck should be a backup....

you are absolutely right, I just can't take myself to drop a customer. they all pay in a timely manner for the most part. And the order i do them is the order they need to be out by, so the ones that are retired get done last, and everyone gets done end of storm, unless there is a big storm and it snows hard for 6 hours and its still snowing at 6am and there's 6" of snow and they need to get out to go to work then i will do the driveway before it stops but if it keeps snowing i will do it again and charge them a full second price. not half but 100% of the price. Some are lawn customers and if I drop them for snow they may drop me for the spring/fall clean ups and lawn.

Darryl G
02-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I was in a similar situation like I said in an earlier post. I'd be out running around like crazy, hammering on my truck, plowing when either myself or truck were no longer in any shape to do so. I plowed half my route with only rear brakes on my truck one storm, plowed for 36 hours straight on another...phone ringing with people wondering where I was and when I'd be there. My route now consists mostly of my residential lawn care customers and some of their neighbors and one factory lot, which is also a lawn care customer. And with them all being close I can start as soon as there's a couple of inches to make sure that they can all get in and out at all times...no more worrying about what time they go to work. I just do a quick pass and open them up and then come back for any additional accumulation and the detail work later. If we get a really big storm I just "camp out" at my factory lot so I don't have to be driving around in blizzard conditions.

With a route like yours it's only a matter of time before you get a storm that totally overwhelms you and leaves many of your customers trapped in their homes. In the mean time, I'd suggest that you always bring a helper with you to hop out and get the sidewalks and garage fronts, to help if you get stuck and to also make arrangements with some local guys you're friendly with to help out in a pinch. If you want I can PM you my phone number for emergency coverage of the Old Saybrook area...I think you said you had some lawn accounts down here....not sure if you also have plowing ones.

yardguy28
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I currently do between 18 and 20 residential driveways and 1 commercial lot.

on average it takes me anywhere from 6-10 hours to go through my route. that's including drive time between properties and the road condition obviously affect the time as well.

yesterday I did a 2" storm in 6 hours. I don't see the point in loading your schedule to where your plowing for much more than 12 hours a storm. I know people like money but I personally am not gonna risk my health with lack of sleep for some green backs.

I take on enough snow removal to keep me busy for up to 12 hours at most.

dnc19694339
02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Been plowing since 1994. When i was in my 20s i loved being out all night. This bigger I got the more stressful it got. trucks breaking, plows breaking, people not answering there phone when you call at 2am.

I wont be doing it much longer! I run 6 routes right now and its time to cut about half of them out. I might drop all the ones that I dont mow in summer.

This is the most stressful thing I have ever done in my life. Having to get everything done between 3am and 7am on overnight snowfalls. On the rare occasion we are late ( due to excessive snowfall) customers are calling wanting to know when we are coming and why we are not there yet!

Im done with it!!! Leave it for you young guns!

RSK Property Maintenance
02-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I was in a similar situation like I said in an earlier post. I'd be out running around like crazy, hammering on my truck, plowing when either myself or truck were no longer in any shape to do so. I plowed half my route with only rear brakes on my truck one storm, plowed for 36 hours straight on another...phone ringing with people wondering where I was and when I'd be there. My route now consists mostly of my residential lawn care customers and some of their neighbors and one factory lot, which is also a lawn care customer. And with them all being close I can start as soon as there's a couple of inches to make sure that they can all get in and out at all times...no more worrying about what time they go to work. I just do a quick pass and open them up and then come back for any additional accumulation and the detail work later. If we get a really big storm I just "camp out" at my factory lot so I don't have to be driving around in blizzard conditions.

With a route like yours it's only a matter of time before you get a storm that totally overwhelms you and leaves many of your customers trapped in their homes. In the mean time, I'd suggest that you always bring a helper with you to hop out and get the sidewalks and garage fronts, to help if you get stuck and to also make arrangements with some local guys you're friendly with to help out in a pinch. If you want I can PM you my phone number for emergency coverage of the Old Saybrook area...I think you said you had some lawn accounts down here....not sure if you also have plowing ones.

Negative on the old saybrook area, I'm down there 2-3 times a week in the summer at the pavilion and the beach, and I go to claudios in greenport,ny on the weekends but no accounts down there too far. I have arrangements with a buddy of mine, but he has a few lots he has to do by a certain time. but i used his truck when mine was down. I always bring a helper for the sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. I do need to drop customers or raise the price on the ones that aren't lawn customers or near lawn customers so that it will offset another truck, and get new accounts only near my current lawn customers my fuel bill for small storm is around 85 dollars, big storm like 12" is about 100.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
My route can take 6- 11 hours. Saturday with 2 inches was 6 hours, today with 6-8 inches it was 8.5 hours. IMO, you should have a back up truck if you have a route like mine. Actually 2 of everything. I have 30 stops. 3 very small commercial, 26 drives and 9 sidewalks. I have a break down kit in the truck for the plow and snow blower for the simple break downs, but I have another truck and snow blower all ready to go if something major goes wrong. Don't normally need them, but this year needed the back up truck one time and the back up snow blower too. I keep the newest truck for the back up. Want to keep it out of the salt as much as possible. If I need the back up, I want to go get my best piece and know it should be better than what just had a failure. I also do METICULOUS maintenance on snow equipment.

kyles landscape
02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
i love doing snow but like everyone said if you dont have seasonal contrats then dont make squat if it doesnt snow.

i had my first 2 plowable snowfalls this week, didnt even bother taking the plow truck just used snow blowers the first time knocked all them out in about 5 hrs (all residential)

today went out used the plow truck plow motor craps out 30 min in so had to grab the blowers and other truck great to have a backup thats for sure!

i dont fully count on the money it is nice and a huge bonus if we get a lot but if not im more the less bored just waiting to landscape.

for all the people sick of plowing or the headaches why dont you just jump on with another company for 70 + dollars an hour ?

yardguy28
02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Negative on the old saybrook area, I'm down there 2-3 times a week in the summer at the pavilion and the beach, and I go to claudios in greenport,ny on the weekends but no accounts down there too far. I have arrangements with a buddy of mine, but he has a few lots he has to do by a certain time. but i used his truck when mine was down. I always bring a helper for the sidewalks and in front of the garage doors. I do need to drop customers or raise the price on the ones that aren't lawn customers or near lawn customers so that it will offset another truck, and get new accounts only near my current lawn customers my fuel bill for small storm is around 85 dollars, big storm like 12" is about 100.

85-100......

that's it?

that's only a tank of gas for my pickup. that wouldn't cover the snow blowers. I guess I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to loose sleep over.

Darryl G
02-04-2013, 10:28 PM
I put 84 miles on the truck during the 10 inch storm we got this season but I'm never more than 5 miles from home on my plowing route...5 miles west, 5 miles north, 5 miles east (can't go south). I only get like 6 mpg when I'm plowing the bigger storms because I'm in 4wd a lot. Also the factory lot I do burns a lot of gas because most of the lot has to get winrowed and stacked in one corner so I'm in it deep and on the throttle hard and sometimes in 4WD low if it's a heavy push. At least my Silverado has a big fuel tank. The 20 gallon tank in my old truck was kind of a pain. I calculated horrible mileage in that truck and it took me a while to figure out why. When I do that factory lot it's forward, reverse, forward, reverse over and over. It had the old style odometer so any time I went backwards it took off the miles that I did going forward, thus my odometer under reported the actual miles, scewing my mileage downwards. Am I rambling yet? lol

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I put 84 miles on the truck during the 10 inch storm we got this season but I'm never more than 5 miles from home on my plowing route...5 miles west, 5 miles north, 5 miles east (can't go south). I only get like 6 mpg when I'm plowing the bigger storms because I'm in 4wd a lot. Also the factory lot I do burns a lot of gas because most of the lot has to get winrowed and stacked in one corner so I'm in it deep and on the throttle hard and sometimes in 4WD low if it's a heavy push. At least my Silverado has a big fuel tank. The 20 gallon tank in my old truck was kind of a pain. I calculated horrible mileage in that truck and it took me a while to figure out why. When I do that factory lot it's forward, reverse, forward, reverse over and over. It had the old style odometer so any time I went backwards it took off the miles that I did going forward, thus my odometer under reported the actual miles, scewing my mileage downwards. Am I rambling yet? lol

I burn 1 gallon per hour of plowing. I leave the truck running from start to stop.

RSK Property Maintenance
02-04-2013, 11:13 PM
85-100......

that's it?

that's only a tank of gas for my pickup. that wouldn't cover the snow blowers. I guess I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to loose sleep over.

yup 85-100 that's it, I usually go through about 18-19 gallons per bigger storm like over 10" I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to lose sleep over either, I sleep very well, for 6-10 hours every night. my truck has two tanks and between the two of them I have put 40 gallons in total, but i really have to run them down far to fit that much in there, so in the winter i only fit 19 in the front tank and usually 16 in the smaller rear tank. I drive around in 2wd whenever possible. plus i never shut my truck off until i'm completely done with my route and at my house meaning it will idle for a few hours during my route. so that doesn't help my fuel economy but its fine how it is really.

Darryl G
02-05-2013, 12:39 AM
On that 10 inch storm I rolled out at 6:45pm with 5 inches on the ground until 12:55am and parked it, then rolled back out around 8:45am and wrapped it up around 5:30pm = 15 hours, but some bsing and leisure time in there and stopped to refuel before heading home. A friend of mine was in from Santa Barbara so I helped her with digging out the cars at her parent's and chatted. I was probably there an hour and got some awesome brownies from her :) It takes a while to do my place and I do a few neighbors for free as well as a lawn customer who is active Navy and out on a submarine. I billed it all at 2x my normal rate, but according to my terms I could have billed at 2.5 times. About 2/3 of my route got 2 pushes and the tail end got 1. I dunno, probably 25 paid accounts and 5 or so freebies. As long as I'm at $150/hr or so I'm happy. I generally don't get out of my truck at all while it's still coming down, so my first leg was all driving. I could have brought a helper for the second leg but decided I had it under control solo. Both of my sons are trained for stick plow and snowblower duty.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I do all seasonal. It works out good unless its a record setting winter. It carries over anyway.

Darryl G
02-05-2013, 01:27 AM
I do all seasonal. It works out good unless its a record setting winter. It carries over anyway.

Are these commercial, residential or both? For commercial I can see being able to do that, but residentials seem to be very resistant to a seasonal contract in my opinion. Please enlighten us if you can.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 01:55 AM
Are these commercial, residential or both? For commercial I can see being able to do that, but residentials seem to be very resistant to a seasonal contract in my opinion. Please enlighten us if you can.

commercial. I do bid a few per push but I still am 90% seasonal. I would like to be around 75/25 so I can make money when it snows instead of losing money every storm but hey it works out.

I have got a few residential to do seasonal. Its a lot easier after a bad winter. With this winter and last you can kiss that goodbye.

The few I do get are multifamily houses, work crazy hours, or are full service.

Full service seems to be the easiest way to go. I even worked my contracts different ways since some wont pay for clean ups, others want stuff like gutter cleanings included. Then I charge them on a 10 monthly payments. This way if they want to cancel because theres no snow they already paid for it!

yardguy28
02-05-2013, 09:10 AM
My route can take 6- 11 hours. Saturday with 2 inches was 6 hours, today with 6-8 inches it was 8.5 hours. IMO, you should have a back up truck if you have a route like mine. Actually 2 of everything. I have 30 stops. 3 very small commercial, 26 drives and 9 sidewalks. I have a break down kit in the truck for the plow and snow blower for the simple break downs, but I have another truck and snow blower all ready to go if something major goes wrong. Don't normally need them, but this year needed the back up truck one time and the back up snow blower too. I keep the newest truck for the back up. Want to keep it out of the salt as much as possible. If I need the back up, I want to go get my best piece and know it should be better than what just had a failure. I also do METICULOUS maintenance on snow equipment.

I'm like you I keep back ups of as much stuff as I can. personally I don't have a back up truck or plow but I have people who can help with that in a pinch. but I'm usually doing snow removal solo and I always load my truck with 2 snow blowers and 2 to 3 shovels. almost had to use the back up snow blower last night.

I burn 1 gallon per hour of plowing. I leave the truck running from start to stop.

yup 85-100 that's it, I usually go through about 18-19 gallons per bigger storm like over 10" I don't consider a tank of gas per storm anything to lose sleep over either, I sleep very well, for 6-10 hours every night. my truck has two tanks and between the two of them I have put 40 gallons in total, but i really have to run them down far to fit that much in there, so in the winter i only fit 19 in the front tank and usually 16 in the smaller rear tank. I drive around in 2wd whenever possible. plus i never shut my truck off until i'm completely done with my route and at my house meaning it will idle for a few hours during my route. so that doesn't help my fuel economy but its fine how it is really.

yep I leave my truck running from the time I leave the driveway until the time I come back home as well. unless I stop for gas in the middle of my route which isn't very often. I usually make sure I have the truck filled and everything else I need before the storm.

711SnoPro
02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I started doing snow last year with a skid steer. I enjoy doing it. Gets to be long hours sometimes but I'm young haha

I ended up buying a pusher this fall, amazing how much faster it makes things go! For next year would like to get maybe 4-5 more accounts. Would also be nice to get my own dump truck for landscaping and snow but one thing at a time.

The way I look at it, if you have the equipment why wouldn't you do it?? But it's not something you should depend on for income. I see and hear about all kinds of people that are depending on snow and suffering because of that.

Darryl G
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
A recent run of the NAM weather model predicts 4 to 5 feet of snow in parts of the northeast this weekend, lol.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-06-2013, 12:21 PM
A recent run of the NAM weather model predicts 4 to 5 feet of snow in parts of the northeast this weekend, lol.

At the end of article that says "New England will be Buried this Weekend". It briefly talks about it will snow 2" a hour if two storms collide. Hmmmmm, that sounds like that perfect storm nonsense about Sandy.

Darryl G
02-06-2013, 11:41 PM
If we get what they're forcasting you're gonna have a REALLY long weekend. I've got new snows going on the truck tomorrow and chains at the ready.

jrs.landscaping
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
If we get what they're forcasting you're gonna have a REALLY long weekend. I've got new snows going on the truck tomorrow and chains at the ready.

I think all of us in the NE are going to have a long weekend :cry:

Darryl G
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Yup! I've been through this a number of times and it's a lot easier now that I have a V plow. They really shine for the big storms.

I've been contemplating getting new tires on my truck all winter and at this point don't really have a choice. The all-season tires that are on it are fine for everything but plowing heavy wet snow. I've got a set of Artic Claws going on it at noon. This will be the first time I've gone for dedicated snow tires. I'm tired of being in the situation of either replacing my all-terrains before they're worn out or slipping and sliding. The Artic Claws are made by Cooper and are what my tire dealer has on all of his vehicles...that's a good enough endorsement for me.

Landscraper1
02-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Checking all Snow equipment today. Making sure all trucks and skid steers are fueled and leaving backup fuel containers with machines. It's going to be a long and stressful 2 days. Best of luck to everyone in the NE getting hit by this storm. We here are expected to get 24 inches with gusts close to 50 miles per hour.

jsslawncare
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
No, I don't.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-07-2013, 11:36 AM
just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.

Darryl G
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
just put this on craigslist

Do not call me Saturday expecting me to clear your driveway. It will take me about 12 hours to get to you, if not more. As a snow removal contractor I have responsibility to my customers who were smart enough to arrange for plowing in advance.

If you expect me to drop everything I'm doing, to go plow 18" out of your driveway, I will think you're a 12 year old prank calling.

You might not like what I'm saying. In that case you can call a hack to plow for beer money. He'll show up and plow your unmarked drive right into your garage. If he even has a truck.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.

RSK Property Maintenance
02-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I should probably edit the ad I have there or delete it entirely.

i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.

jrs.landscaping
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
With the predicted amounts that's still 8-12 inces per push. I used to plow my driveways every 6", anything more than that and you're beating you're truck for no reason.

yardguy28
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
i stopped advertising for snow in 2012, then i was given another 5 accounts, but they can all be done a day later so its fine. I'm actually calling all my customers today and tomorrow and telling them if there is 2 feet and they don't want to pay for me to show up twice it will be a 100 dollar charge, if they don't like it then they can try and find someone else. if they do end up paying for me to show up twice it will be over over 100 anyways. either way, no reason I shouldn't make 3000-4000 from a storm this size if i don't i'm cheating myself out of money. quite a few customers called already and said to come twice, once friday night then saturday morning but route takes so long not sure how well that plan will work....I am however buying another truck tonight. no rust f350 351w new manifolds, new front end parts, new steering box, new tires, newer plow no rust, clean interior and clean body no dents for 2500 so i may try and register that tomorrow and use it for this storm and sell it for double because it's worth close to 5,000 all day long.

you would only show up twice on 2 foot storm?

I've never had a 2 foot storm so I can't really speak from experience but I know I make 2 visits on a 6-8 inch storm. I would think 3 visits at least on a 2 footer.

I won't push more than 4 inches of snow at a time if I don't have to. now maybe I would have to with a 2 footer because maybe I couldn't make it around to clients like that. I don't know that's why I'm kind of asking. would have thought more than 2 visits.

dstifel
02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I plow mainly customers i mow for though don't go after lots of additional accounts. I send two guys out with snowblowers to do my walks and at 6 o'clock they head of to residentials. Have another two on standby started doing this after the big storm we got here just before xmas. THey come in at 6 and finish up any walks that need done and then go relieve the guys do my residentials. Cant keep shovelers out for as many hours as we can sit in trucks it seems. But good luck to you guys this weekend be safe and stay smart throughout the weekend.

weaver
02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
What snow... I'm in southern Indiana and it's 63 today....:waving:

weaver
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Sorry, i checked again.. It's 65:laugh:

Darryl G
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Plowing 2 feet a push is pretty tough, espeically with a straight blade plow. It's not so bad on a double-wide driveway...what I do is kind of swing and arc across the driveway so I'm plowing it to the side with just a little bit of the blade into the snow at a time. The real pain is out at the apron where it can be a struggle just to push the corners back and get into the driveway. I plan to plow with the storm but from the sounds of it there will be a point when travel just isn't possible/practical, so it's bound to pile up. With a V plow I can usually just pull in V mode. We had a pretty nasty blizzard in 2005 and that was definitely a learning experience.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Yup we are 18-24" ......plowing every 6-8 inches. Going to be a challenge no doubt! Cheers and be safe!

Jason

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Some of you might get 2ft but I'm thinking closer to 16.

Even with my ad, people are still calling. Im telling them $200-$250 and everyone said yes so far.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
I never want to plow again professionally but I do wish I had one for my own driveway or perhaps a 6ft snow blower attachment for a compact tractor. Guy that does my driveway now is nowhere near the detail I use to get and he does so much damage. With about 20,000 sq ft of drive perhaps someday I can talk myself into justifying the purchase. What sucks now is the high wind predictions for this storm I had to move the trucks to a spot where trees cant land on them but now they're more in the way then normal.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Glad we are not getting any of that Canadian concrete snow here! You guys be safe and don't break anything!

RSK Property Maintenance
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Plowing 2 feet a push is pretty tough, espeically with a straight blade plow. It's not so bad on a double-wide driveway...what I do is kind of swing and arc across the driveway so I'm plowing it to the side with just a little bit of the blade into the snow at a time. The real pain is out at the apron where it can be a struggle just to push the corners back and get into the driveway. I plan to plow with the storm but from the sounds of it there will be a point when travel just isn't possible/practical, so it's bound to pile up. With a V plow I can usually just pull in V mode. We had a pretty nasty blizzard in 2005 and that was definitely a learning experience.

with a second truck in the mix now, I plan to plow once at around 12" tonight, then again around 12" or the end of storm then again around 12" if we end up with 3ft. probably not gonna get 3ft but that's my plan. should work pretty well. if all goes well with the second truck which has new tires, and runs good, but its a gas f250....its been a plow truck its whole life, oil pan is good, radiator is good, transmission is good, it starts it stops and it plows without an issue.

weaver
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
with a second truck in the mix now, I plan to plow once at around 12" tonight, then again around 12" or the end of storm then again around 12" if we end up with 3ft. probably not gonna get 3ft but that's my plan. should work pretty well. if all goes well with the second truck which has new tires, and runs good, but its a gas f250....its been a plow truck its whole life, oil pan is good, radiator is good, transmission is good, it starts it stops and it plows without an issue.

How much did you guys get or has it hit yet? We actually had a blizzard here in early January but not that much snow. Like 8in but was a blizzard cause of the 40 mph winds, but has actually been warm here except for that...

LandFakers
02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Ill be out all day here plowing. When my son does the Resi acounts if they are calling for more than 16" he will go out and do it at the halfway point, or 8" of accumultion. I make him use a snowblower is its not easy to move 12" or more inches at once. Stay safe guys

LandFakers
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
How much did you guys get or has it hit yet? We actually had a blizzard here in early January but not that much snow. Like 8in but was a blizzard cause of the 40 mph winds, but has actually been warm here except for that...
Right now we have 6" on the ground and its only been snowing since about 9am. Supposed to go till tommorow afternoon and they are predicting close to 30" at my location.... We are starting to get into the 5 inches and hour right now

GMLC
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
We are getting ready for 24+ inches. Just starting now and will be at its peak tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Right now we have 6" on the ground and its only been snowing since about 9am. Supposed to go till tommorow afternoon and they are predicting close to 30" at my location.... We are starting to get into the 5 inches and hour right now

You guys snows would probably shut our city down for quit awhile... We never get stuff like that...

LandFakers
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
You guys snows would probably shut our city down for quit awhile... We never get stuff like that...
Are city is shutting down as we speak. You know its going to be bad when our 24 hour Walmart closes....

weaver
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
We are getting ready for 24+ inches. Just starting now and will be at its peak tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snows around here i can usally just use my walkbehind snowblower, but there are some big guys around here when we do get hit that got the big stuff.. Like bobcats/plowtrucks... Is that what you use?

weaver
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Are city is shutting down as we speak. You know its going to be bad when our 24 hour Walmart closes....

Besides having a ice storm about 3 years ago and the blizzard early January we really don't get much.. Heck i'm still working from the pallet of salt i bought 3 years ago...:laugh:

GMLC
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Snows around here i can usally just use my walkbehind snowblower, but there are some big guys around here when we do get hit that got the big stuff.. Like bobcats/plowtrucks... Is that what you use?

I have an 8ft plow on my truck and mostly plow residential driveways and small parking lots at doctors, dentists and vets offices. The guys that do large commercial have huge front end loaders and dump trucks like you would see at a gravel pit. Our state is set up to handle these storms so the roads stay clear. No shut downs here.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
they must do things differently in evansville from fort wayne.

you don't see anyone doing snow removal in fort wayne without a snow plow on there truck. we use the plows for anything from an inch and on up. the snow blowers are just used for sidewalks.

Belgium
02-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Lol everybody around here is already panicking when we get
like 4" of snow :D respact of all of you guys to plow stuff like that
Posted via Mobile Device

weaver
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
they must do things differently in evansville from fort wayne.

you don't see anyone doing snow removal in fort wayne without a snow plow on there truck. we use the plows for anything from an inch and on up. the snow blowers are just used for sidewalks.

Same as everyone else.. i'm not gonna set up a truck and everything for the snows we get. I just use my walkbehind blower and do residential snow removal and can actually do small bank lots with it also.. But there are lots of guys here that have trucks/bobcats...

Kelly's Landscaping
02-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I have my hair full of snow and its melting down my face and I don't think I could be any more pissed off today than I am at this moment! We have about 5 or 6 inches here atm now last year I let an employee with his friend plow my driveway to make some extra cash. So this yearcomes and this is the second plow event and the first was a disaster. Their f250 didn't have working 4wd back in Dec and aside from all the damage to my gravel driveway they barely got out they took like 4 running starts to reach the road. My house sits 500 feet from the road and 50 feet below it if that ant enough for ya my lower 1.6 acres sit another 30 feet below that.

So I saw that and spoke up about it an said you got to have 4wd to do this and they seemed brush it off. So 3 weeks ago we had a near miss and I asked and they said no and I said its not much anyway so no need. So 2 days ago I texted him and said do you have 4wd and was told its being worked on as we speak. I felt they put that off way to long but wanted this to work out for the guy so I accepted his word. Any ways about 2.5 hours ago they woke me from a nice winter nap and I looked out and saw that truck. And no sooner did I look than it became obvious they had no 4wd and they were already stuck on a slight incline and could not back up and all they were doing was sliding towards my house and new truck.

So I go out side and they decide for show they would now turn those 4wd locks they have on some trucks. All my rams its done in the cab but to each his own. So they turn them and guess what they still got nothing and I got to watch a comical series of events as they would yell at each other to help dig them out despite the fact they were not even stuck in snow just sitting on the stuff they packed. Out came the snow blower which is less then useless on gravel but that didn't stop them from trying. When they would use the shovel they wouldn't carry it out of the way they would just make mounds and future problems.

As it became clear they were never gona back up to turn I got in my 4500 with the 4wd and drove into virgin snow while pulling them up hill side ways from the hitch. So they got it free and than began 30 mins frightening attempts to do 5 mins worth of work with the truck now stalling every 30-60 seconds. At one point it sounded as if it was never to start again. So all the while its snowing and of course they did a poor job with the first push down hill so nothing is really done. And then comes the fun part they can not get out. so they try run number 1 they do not even make it to the middle hill which isn't that high so they fell short of the 2nd telephone pole and I 4 complete wire lengths with 3 polls on the drive and the 4th at the road.

So after their 4 or 5th failure I break down and call a guy on Craigs list figuring I might stop them before they lose the truck on one of their never ending long back ups down the drive. But then came the hillbilly ingenuity and one of them stood on the bumper and jumped up and down as the other floored it. Each jump they would gain 2 inches of ground and some how managed to claw their way out and then said well when the other guy gets it fixed we can come back latter. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: How about NOOOOOOO so the new guys are here now just a family that wants to make extra cash I got dad driving mom keeping him company and the son out side spotting hazards. I'm frustrated enough to want to buy a plow truck again.

94gt331
02-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I have my hair full of snow and its melting down my face and I don't think I could be any more pissed off today than I am at this moment! We have about 5 or 6 inches here atm now last year I let an employee with his friend plow my driveway to make some extra cash. So this yearcomes and this is the second plow event and the first was a disaster. Their f250 didn't have working 4wd back in Dec and aside from all the damage to my gravel driveway they barely got out they took like 4 running starts to reach the road. My house sits 500 feet from the road and 50 feet below it if that ant enough for ya my lower 1.6 acres sit another 30 feet below that.

So I saw that and spoke up about it an said you got to have 4wd to do this and they seemed brush it off. So 3 weeks ago we had a near miss and I asked and they said no and I said its not much anyway so no need. So 2 days ago I texted him and said do you have 4wd and was told its being worked on as we speak. I felt they put that off way to long but wanted this to work out for the guy so I accepted his word. Any ways about 2.5 hours ago they woke me from a nice winter nap and I looked out and saw that truck. And no sooner did I look than it became obvious they had no 4wd and they were already stuck on a slight incline and could not back up and all they were doing was sliding towards my house and new truck.

So I go out side and they decide for show they would now turn those 4wd locks they have on some trucks. All my rams its done in the cab but to each his own. So they turn them and guess what they still got nothing and I got to watch a comical series of events as they would yell at each other to help dig them out despite the fact they were not even stuck in snow just sitting on the stuff they packed. Out came the snow blower which is less then useless on gravel but that didn't stop them from trying. When they would use the shovel they wouldn't carry it out of the way they would just make mounds and future problems.

As it became clear they were never gona back up to turn I got in my 4500 with the 4wd and drove into virgin snow while pulling them up hill side ways from the hitch. So they got it free and than began 30 mins frightening attempts to do 5 mins worth of work with the truck now stalling every 30-60 seconds. At one point it sounded as if it was never to start again. So all the while its snowing and of course they did a poor job with the first push down hill so nothing is really done. And then comes the fun part they can not get out. so they try run number 1 they do not even make it to the middle hill which isn't that high so they fell short of the 2nd telephone pole and I 4 complete wire lengths with 3 polls on the drive and the 4th at the road.

So after their 4 or 5th failure I break down and call a guy on Craigs list figuring I might stop them before they lose the truck on one of their never ending long back ups down the drive. But then came the hillbilly ingenuity and one of them stood on the bumper and jumped up and down as the other floored it. Each jump they would gain 2 inches of ground and some how managed to claw their way out and then said well when the other guy gets it fixed we can come back latter. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: How about NOOOOOOO so the new guys are here now just a family that wants to make extra cash I got dad driving mom keeping him company and the son out side spotting hazards. I'm frustrated enough to want to buy a plow truck again.

So kelly you don't own a snowplow anymore.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Hahhahaha....keep us updated....this is hilarious!

yardguy28
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Same as everyone else.. i'm not gonna set up a truck and everything for the snows we get. I just use my walkbehind blower and do residential snow removal and can actually do small bank lots with it also.. But there are lots of guys here that have trucks/bobcats...

my point exactly about evansville doing it differently than fort wayne.

everyone in fort wayne uses a truck with a snow plow, even for residential driveways. I currently have 18 residential driveways and one small commercial lot. I use an 8' straight blade. use the snow blower for any sidewalks I come across but that's the only time it gets out of the truck.

it's a funny story. not sure why your getting so upset about it.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Not sure about the depth here but my deck has snow on it around 3ft. But thats drifts but its still coming down now as it has been the last 19 hours my guess we break 2 feet when all is said and done.

As for why I was upset it was increasingly looking like they would be spending the night living here and it was to upsetting to contemplate.

Groomer
02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=

As for why I was upset it was increasingly looking like they would be spending the night living here and it was to upsetting to contemplate.[/QUOTE]

that last sentence is a funny one!

Kelly's Landscaping
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Well I'm going to be snowed in for days if not the week we got way more than we were suppose to here. The weather channel reported Milford had the highest snow totals for the state at 38 inches and I would say thats about right. So now I need to wait till the clean up finishes up and see if I can find someone with a loader or skid steer to dig me out. Even with all I did in the storm we still got about 2 feet on the ground and thats nearly impossible for most guys to plow.

weaver
02-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Well I'm going to be snowed in for days if not the week we got way more than we were suppose to here. The weather channel reported Milford had the highest snow totals for the state at 38 inches and I would say thats about right. So now I need to wait till the clean up finishes up and see if I can find someone with a loader or skid steer to dig me out. Even with all I did in the storm we still got about 2 feet on the ground and thats nearly impossible for most guys to plow.

Isn't that why people want V plows in stead of straight ones? Aren't they better in deep snow?

GMLC
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Well we ended up with about 30 inches!! Beat the hell out of my truck plowing...

yardguy28
02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Isn't that why people want V plows in stead of straight ones? Aren't they better in deep snow?

wanting and having are 2 different things though. seems like he must not know very many guys who have v blades.

but I can't really say much about that many inches cause the most I ever see in the winter is 6-8. usually we get little amounts like 2-4.

dstifel
02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm from Iowa and it seems like everyone here has V blade.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I got a 5 yard Cat loader coming tomorrow will be nice to be free it will be day 5 tomorrow.

94gt331
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I got a 5 yard Cat loader coming tomorrow will be nice to be free it will be day 5 tomorrow.

Wow! I feel for you guys up in ct. Kelly I'm sure your glad you don't plow anymore. 40inches of snow is impossible to plow. You have to have a big blower or a loader. I'm looking forward to talking to the ct guys on plowsite when there all done with there routes. I'm sure guys are still trying to get there places open.

Darryl G
02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Well that was fun, lol. I finished up all of my regular accounts by midnite yesterday. I ran chains all day Saturday and went around just opening places up. Bad roads and poor fuel availability cost me a lot of time...takes a long time to get between accounts at 10 to 15 mph. I had planned to go through the list wifey has but I didn't get very far on that because I had to do slush runs and address a couple of problems on my regulars due to the rain. I enjoyed watching all the rookies stuffing their trucks into snow banks...gotta be a bit methodical about getting into a property rather than just ramming your truck in there...ya know, lol.

weaver
02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Well that was fun, lol. I finished up all of my regular accounts by midnite yesterday. I ran chains all day Saturday and went around just opening places up. Bad roads and poor fuel availability cost me a lot of time...takes a long time to get between accounts at 10 to 15 mph. I had planned to go through the list wifey has but I didn't get very far on that because I had to do slush runs and address a couple of problems on my regulars due to the rain. I enjoyed watching all the rookies stuffing their trucks into snow banks...gotta be a bit methodical about getting into a property rather than just ramming your truck in there...ya know, lol.

Good to see you're ok... did you make good$ off that snow or what?
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
We got 31" and another 3-4" yesterday along with rain. We told the guys shoveling to wait until it was over. I'm glad we did we had drifts over 5' in places :dizzy: We're going back again tonight to move more snow. It was kind of comical after the storm watching guys trying to plow driveways. They would get a running start and slam into the apron packing the snow even more :laugh:

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I have no idea what we got here....a little less than you. Maybe 26" or so....but ya, still measured drifts 5 ft high in many places. Biggest challenge for plowing that I have ever faced. Visibility was so bad that first night that I backed the corner into a tree and took out the tail light but that was all. Got "stuck" one time, but just shoveled out some snow from being high centered and was all set. I was very thankful - tons of work and long hours but it could have been a lot worse. Most guys didn't go out that first night - it was probably stupid to take it on, but it worked out all right. Now I'm definitely ready for Florida next week...lol

Jason

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-12-2013, 09:03 AM
It was all about geometry and angles, little bites at a time. Storms like this I can't wait to get a V-plow. =D

Darryl G
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I apparently backed the corner of my truck into a pole too from the looks of it but I have no idea when or where. I just know the bumper corner is pushed in and that the tailgate pops out of it's socket now when you drop it. Spent about $1000 to get ready for it, did about $500 damage to the truck not including the scratches from all the limbs draped over driveways. I've been hitting one-time accounts, doing slush patrol on my regulars, dealing with drainage issues and pushing back piles for 2 days now. The hardpack on the roads is mostly gone but now it's in all of my aprons. At least it's warm.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Darryl, that's exactly the reason I can't understand how guys can stomach using brand new trucks for plowing - the amount of branches that scratch and small things you can't see covered in snow, dings the truck often. I just deal with it and fix it if need be, but if I had a really nice new truck I'd get PO'd. lol

yardguy28
02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
well the way I look at is, one, its a work truck and, two, its not gonna stay new looking forever.

Darryl G
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
My truck was 6 years old before I had the heart to put a plow on it and I really didn't have much choice. My old 85 K20 just needed too much work. By then it already had some bumps and bruises. Gotta watch the rocker panel and lower door areas on these never trucks. A crusty snow bank will push them right in. I'd like to replace my rear bumper with a heavy duty one anyway.

In2une
02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
This is my first year snowplowing for myself running my own business. My main problem is Customers Don't Pay!!
I have plowed for over 10 years for another company and never would have thought it would have been such a hassle!
I do all residential and have contracts that say right on them please pay within 7 days and if a new customer without a contract I expect to paid the same day. 90% of customers give the run around.. Crazy!
I do a good job and I have the experience snowplowing so thats not the issue.
Please Help What do I do.

yardguy28
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I threw a plow on my last truck 6 months after I bought it. it is after all one of the reasons I got it.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-13-2013, 07:28 PM
@ In2une..... ONLY thing you can do is tell them to pay or find someone else and you will be "forced to take further action" to collect on their bill. You know your customers better than anyone else and a little tact goes a long ways, but you have to be firm.

Jason

Darryl G
02-14-2013, 02:36 PM
So how did things work out for you with the blizzard? How long did it take to get to your whole list?

jrs.landscaping
02-14-2013, 02:46 PM
So how did things work out for you with the blizzard? How long did it take to get to your whole list?

I'm curious as well.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
All my resi contracts are on every 6-8 inches of snowfall. It takes me about 6 hrs to get through the route once, not counting the snowblowing contracts. Obviously with this last storm, it was coming down so fast and drifting that I just kept making the rounds - everyone got at least 2 charges, and many got 3. The first night of the storm I had to drive 10 mph between accounts and often had to plow my way between them. We have rural roads and at times, my plow was pushing snow on the street while in the all up position. Crazy. Mid-storm I was questioning my sanity but glad I did the work. The snowblowing really sucked the next day - 5 ft drifts to power through with a blower. lol

Jason

Kelly's Landscaping
02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
The way I finally got dug out. Yes I know it no longer looks like 38 inches in some of this but it was day 5 and we had a nice 8 hour rain storm on day 3.

Darryl G
02-15-2013, 02:55 AM
Nice little plow. I ended up plowing all day even though we only got a little bit over night. A lot of my accounts needed some detail work done, piles pushed back and things widened...some breathing room basically. I'm not sure how much of it I can charge for but I'm not too worried about that.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-15-2013, 07:21 AM
We got a little coming on Sunday I guess....but I'm going to be beach-side down south by then. Kinda wish I was here to make the money instead of paying someone else, but ...... it ain't that bad. =D

Jason

dstifel
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Ok guys out east looking at getting 2foot of snow out here next Thursday into Friday. Will be the biggest storm ive ever dealt with on my own. What suggestions do you have for me? I run three trucks two one ton cummins and a 3/4 ton Chevy. Have 5 commercials and about 25 residentals. Usually start off with three shovelers seems to always be about 2am. At 530 they have the option to go home from being cold wet tired etc. then three more come in and two more go out in my Dakota and start snowblowing my residentals. Currently buying a front mount blower to go on the front of my larger lawn tractors. Would I be better to trust my lead guy to pull a trailer with that on it in a storm or have him jump in my truck and plow so I can pull the trailer? Thoughts concerns suggestions? I'm all ears. Oh yea I forgot one or my commercials has a skid steer at it the whole storm with a 9 foot straight blade as well as a snow bucket. So it is not usually a problem just sit one guy there all day and let him work excellent operator. Thanks guys I appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
02-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Trailers and snow storms don't go together very well in my opinion. I would wait until after the snow stops and roads are cleared a bit before pulling it if possible. On the big storms I just concentrate on the plowing part on my residentials. Most of them come and go from their garage and don't use their walk anyway. If I bring a shoveler with me he hops out and shovels while I plow but as soon as I'm done plowing I toot the horn and he gets back in the truck whether he's done or not. To me it's all about maintaining reasonable access rather than detail work during the big ones. On commercial accounts you usually have no choice but to do everything though. It's also nice to have a big lot you can just stay at and plow if visibility gets really low and/or travel between accounts becomes slow and difficult. It sounds like you don't plow your residentials though?

dstifel
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Not to many of them here it is big to have both sides of driveways landscaped with lights and mulch etc. To hard to not tear stuff up. I have about 25% of them I do plow. All my commercials are within 1/2 mile of each other don't ask how just got lucky haha but residentials are all over the place. I think I Deffintly won't be letting anyone else pull if it's going to get as bad as they say. Probably won't even have the Dakota out it i pull it will be with the one ton cummins so I can Plow my way in and out of places if need be. I like what your saying about just keeping them open rather then getting it all perfect I think I will send an email out explaining this to people early next week. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I trailer the tractor/snow blower to the bigger site before the storm - so as soon as someone is free they can get to work on it. Just a suggestion.

dstifel
02-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Yea the problem with that is our site it would be most usual is not in a good area. Considering heading out as soon as snow starts flying and sleeping in the truck so I can watch it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
02-16-2013, 08:04 AM
One other thing. Might want to have chains available to put on the rear of at least one of the trucks. I really don't like the trailer idea at all. I think it's gonna be more of a pain than it's worth.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Ya....it does suck....out contract is only 2.5 miles from the shop so that really helps....took it over this morning no problem. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

lazor-cut
02-16-2013, 12:26 PM
We have been plowing 70% resis and 30% commercial for a while now... Finally closing the doors on resis next year! Never been happier! The money just isn't worth it anymore! I have one guy who's dedicated to drives... We can make more money having him on commercial stuff

RSK Property Maintenance
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm glad you asked.....well as you probably read I ended up buying a second truck friday morning to cut my time down and get to my customers in a more reasonable time, had a driver all set to go and a second snow blower all set to go and the second snow blower bailed on me at the last minute friday night around 10 when i wanted to go out around 11, so just me and a buddy went out in 1 truck, I did my first account about 1 mile away from my house, literally no where to push to except the end of the driveway, large bank/rocks/ woods on the right side of the driveway and grass/ rocks which are covered by 2ft of snow and its still coming down heavy on the left side of this long driveway that goes down hill about 3-4* so i open up the apron and hit it on a 45* angle taking 3' bites each time i get through, then i do the other side of the apron, and then i angle my 8' blade right and go down the driveway and end up with a huge pile in front of me and im only halfway down the driveway, but by now there is lawn so i back up slam the pile into the lawn and continue plowing the driveway it only took about 15 mins total, no walks here. so i drive to my next account about 5 miles away and i'm plowing and putting snow on the lawn and my buddy sucks up a rubber welcome mat with the snow blower and i finished that driveway up and went home for the night, not too mention the roads weren't plowed at all friday night so my truck was trying way too hard just to get down the street let alone plow snow. so I i woke up saturday morning around 9 to 40 missed calls and voicemails, returned some calls and started digging out my truck and plowing my own driveway which took closer to an hour or so. then once my help showed up we did my accounts 1 by 1 on average taking 1hr-2.5hrs depending on how many times i got stuck. after getting stuck 6 or 7 times i figured out i even though the truck can push it, its too much snow when it comes over the top of the truck and gets under the truck and plow causing me to not move any more. so me and one other guy worked for about 13 hours getting about 6 or 7 accounts done, each one the same as the last, but they are have places to push snow and stack it high, which i did. I was stacking piles about 6-8' high with my truck. each time i would just back up and take about a 3' bite at a 45* angle and hit it at 5-10mph and it worked all the way to the end, and i never got stuck doing that, actually i did a few times, but angling the blade left and right using it to push me off the snow bank got me out quite a few times. finally after 13hrs my help was exhausted and falling asleep every 5 minutes, so I went back to my house and dropped him off and got some sleep myself, only about 4hrs this time, when i woke up around 11am again i had about 35 missed calls and my voice mail box was now full. and I even changed my voice message just for this storm saying that things will be taking a lot longer due to the extreme amount of snow and that I am doing the best that I can, and if you are existing customer i will get to before monday morning, and if you are new customer I will get to you around tuesday. I really wasn't looking to take on any new customers. I figured by not having any ads in the 3 local papers I normally use the number of calls i got would be fairly limited to existing customer but not the case....I forgot I was on yellow pages still and in google, and few other search engines, so the call kept coming all day until monday night. anyways after returning phone calls and eating lunch I made several attempts to contact my helper which didn't answer his phone nor did the 7 other people I tried calling within a 30 mins. so with no help I really couldn't do anything. so I was at a stand still for about 4 hours. Then my dads old employee who started his own landscaping company called me and asked me if I wanted to team up with him using my snowblower attachment with his skid steer, since his truck broke a front drive shaft, so i called my brother who was getting out of work from the hospital and he agreed to work as long as he could since he had the next day off, so after we picked up the skid steer and snow blower attachment we did my accounts and my buddies, going in order of whichever ones were closest to where we were....so sometimes we would do 3 of my accounts to 1 of his sometimes it would be 2 of his to 1 of mine. I had far more accounts left to do then he did so I was very grateful to do this, and with the skid steer and 2 dual stage snow blowers working on town sidewalks we were doing accounts with 3' of snow to 4 and 5' in some spots with the drifts in about 20-30 mins, including loading the machine, tying it down with 2 chains and binders and loading two snow blowers onto my truck with ramps each time. in the end because of me taking so long and my customers being impatient I only ended up doing 25 of my accounts, I dropped two of them, one was snow plow only, another was snow plow and lawn customer, but she was only every other week, and she was a pita anyways....its tough to put an exact amount of hours on the accounts i did but i would say probably close to 30 hours, because once we started using the skid steer things started going really fast. It clears a 66" path each time. then the next day I had to shovel 3 paths so customers could get oil delivered and i made sure to charge accordingly, this was after it had rained, which i was working in. each path was about 40ft long and even with 2' of snow two people were able to get through it with shovels in about 10 mins.

I can say one thing I am glad this storm is done, it taught me a lot about plowing as I have never pushed this much snow at once. my antique plow from 1996 did freeze up sunday early morning, along with the recoil on my both snow blowers, but at the same time my worker was fall asleep as soon as he got in the truck. but sunday afternoon everything worked perfect so those were the only break downs I had, besides shear pins for the snow blower attachment which i bought everything walmart had because they were the only place open at 9pm and the 35 pins all broke by 10am monday, good thing the hardware store was open, I cleaned them out and bought a few grade 8 bolts and didn't have any issues after that. as for billing my customers, normally I have 2 prices 2-6" then over 6" is 20-35 or even double the 2-6" price depending on the driveway and walks, and even in a foot of powder or even 12" of wet heavy snow, I can fly through it and it doesn't take much longer to do. but in 2-4' I charged everyone 3x whatever the over 6" price was so no one payed less then 200 for their driveway and some payed 350-375 for theirs. I would think any rational customer would understand that with record snow fall for my area of ct they would have to pay a record high price to have it removed, and all but 2 did so i simply did not do their driveways and dropped them. I don't have time to explain how running a business works, and why i need to charge what i do. they either get it or they don't. I know if was to try and replace them which i'm not I could very easily do so with much higher paying customers that don't call unless its an absolute emergency. it's not like I plowing a trailer park here, more then half of them look to be made of glass with massive custom bay windows and through them i see 80" or bigger tv's hanging on the wall. So I have no hard feelings as this storm really put a beating on my equipment, even though nothing broke yet. I'm sure this was not the best way to break in my new transmission that only had 300 miles on it either, but it stuck through it. hopefully for next winter I'll have my newer truck with a stainless v plow on it, and maybe a dump truck with a straight blade and someone to run one of the trucks.

chesterlawn
02-18-2013, 07:14 AM
I have had a couple of crazy storms plowing, every problem seems to get crammed together and drives you nuts, the phone calls got to me the most. If I could of just tuned them out and worked it wouldn't have been as bad. But after it's all done and you get your sleep, you look back on it and it doesn't seem that bad, maybe some good laughs.

jrs.landscaping
02-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Glad to hear you made it through the storm. It's tough to price an event like that with driveways. I got a text from a buddy of mine yesterday "just got the bill from the plow guy $80 and he showed up once!!!"

I laughed and thought if it was me the price would have been double. I know I'd pay $80 to save mysef from shoveling 3 feet or snow :clapping:

Darryl G
02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
It doesn't sound like you had much fun but like you said you learned some things. I think you waited way to long to roll out.

I rolled out at noon Friday with about 2 inches on the ground and started hitting my accounts near me, mostly just to mark them with snow berms. By 5:00 pm I had 6 inches and was on my second push of a factory parking lot I do. By 7:30 the roads were almost impassable but I did venture out on my route anyway coming back to my factory lot each time, once with 6 inches of new snow on it around 2 am. Around 4:00 am I tried to get gas but everything was closed, even the Mobil that swore they'd be open all night so I had to skip my planned run up into the woods. Instead I worked my way home and helped a friend of mine upon up a large church lot about 1/2 mile up the road from me...he couldn't get a lane in...and then went home for a little break. I got stuck trying to plow a neighbors driveway that I hadn't plowed at all yet and said screw this and put my chains on with some help from my son. I ran around with my chains on all day Saturday and parked it around midnight, so a 36 hour shift with just one long break Saturday morning. All I do with my chains on is blast things open...it's difficult to maneuver with them on. I rolled back out around 10:00 am Sunday without my chains on and did a few accounts and then went back and got my son to help with detail work until about midnight when I dropped him off an ran back out solo until 3:30 am Monday, at which point I had finished all of my regulars. Monday I started on the list of one-time customers that my wife had compiled for me but it started raining so I spent most of my time doing slush runs on my regulars and hitting aprons now that the town and state had gotten to the roads. Some of the one-timers were downright nasty with my wife even though she was pretty clear with them that they would have to wait. Thankfully she has pretty good phone skills because she works on a temporary basis for a FTD call center during their busy periods. My pricing is way below what yours is...mostly in the $125 to $150 range. I've yet to finalize my invoicing on my regular customers though. I only ended up doing about a half dozen one-timers.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Darryl ...So what is your $125-150 for? Per storm? Per hr? No such thing as average driveway around here lol.

Chester - that's the name of the game buddy. I feel like that every storm ....more of a mental game in the middle of long sleepless nights. It does get better in time. Break downs will happen in the worse times....lol. Always a challenge to conquer .....

Darryl G
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
My $125 to $150 will be for the storm. Most of my accounts have a base rate in the range of $40 to $50 and I was planning on billing them at 3 times that. That's probably on the low side since I would charge twice my base rate at 8 inches plus. I have a couple of difficult driveways that I may charge more for. I base my billing on a rate of at least $150/hr...that's my personal target number. The factory lot I do is a little different because to preserve parking spaces most of the snow has to get stacked in one spot. I did 6 pushes on it so I'm billing them each at the normal $200/push. I also figured it out at my hourly rate...I spent 7.5 hours there total so at would be $1,125...gave myself the benefit of the doubt and went with the $1,200. Because all of my accounts are close and I like to please as many of them as possible I end up making multiple visits to most of them...swing by during the storm to try to keep them open, swing by after the storm to get them accessible, perhaps again to do detail work and get whatever the town/state deposited in the apron and maybe another visit to get any hardpack and to push back the piles. The ones that are more convenient to me get more visits.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Saw my accountant last Thursday he has a girl in his office that spent 1400 to have her driveway plowed in that blizzard. I guess I got off light :)

Darryl G
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Some accounts were indeed heavy equipment only and those can get pricey. That or a 2 stage snowblower.

I had a number of people want me to do driveways that were down in holes that I refused to go down in my truck. I have a few of my own accounts that are down in holes but I know the accounts...big difference when you're in extreme conditions. It's all about getting in a lane that you can work from...work your way in, establish a lane and work off of it. If you can't get a lane you're screwed.

Honestly I was the guy to be, V plow with brand new snow tires and chains on for a while. My buddy couldn't believe how easily I opened up his church lot lanes and sliced the big lot for him. I didn't get stuck once with chains on, not that I haven't managed to in the past. All in all I got stuck at an unplowed intersection trying to get to one of my accounts around 10:00 pm Friday, once a little at my neighbor's that didn't require getting out and once while stacking...raised the blade too quick and stuffed it. My son and I were digging out when a landscaper/plower I know was passing by and gave me a quick yank out. So I only had to get out to dig twice.

As far as the chains go, they're great during the beginning part of cleanup but once the roads start getting cleared I can't wait to get them off. They're best for straight hard pushing, opening up, and blasting through as well as getting around on unplowed roads. Maneuvering in them is difficult and can mark up pavement. I drove past a couple of accounts that require tight maneuvering while I was chained up and then come back to them later. The 235 snow tires were the real trick though. I'm never plowing in all terrain tires again. I've never been able to run around and plow in 2wd before during a storm. I'd be plowing and my tires would spin and I'd be like, WTF, I'm not pushing that hard. Then I'd remember I was in 2WD!

Darryl G
02-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Let me ask you guys something. Below is language from my terms. This pretty much gives me the right to charge whatever I feel is fair, right?

Snow Removal Fees are calculated based upon your base plowing rate multiplied by a difficulty factor that is dependent on the storm
event. We have a 2 inch "trigger." In general, snowfall of less than 4 inches is billed at 100% of the base rate, 4 to 6 inches at 150% the
base rate, 6 to 8 inches at 200% the base rate, and 8 inches plus at 250 to 350% the base rate. However, we reserve the right to apply a
different multiplier or an hourly rate in certain cases, i.e. wet heavy snowfall or blizzard, in order to reflect the effort required to service
the property. Snowfall totals are based on CTDOT supplied data for the immediate area and direct observations.

jrs.landscaping
02-18-2013, 02:51 PM
To an extent yes.

dstifel
02-18-2013, 02:54 PM
I would say so. What i do is a base charge up to 4 inches. After that is is an additional 10$ per 2 inches. So 50$ driveway with 4-6" is 60 etc. But I have a clause that says anything over ten inches will be pushed 2-3 times with a minimum 50$ charge each time. Most of my drives are single stall with little to no sidewalks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Golfpro21
02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
yes we do snow removal, we have 250 snow properties. They are all seasonal contracts so the money is 100% guaranteed, whether it snows or not. We live in an area that usually gets 25-35 snow events in a season as we constantly get snow squals of the great lakes and georgan bay.

we grow year after year and I would love to eventually slow the grass down and go bigger and bigger with the snow.

There is lots of down time with the snow season, granted you cannot plan a vacation until the season is over, but I dont find you can do it during grass season either. Grass season is 5-7 days a week week after week, where as snow might be 3 days one week and then off for a week. Our routes are only 6 hours long anyways, so no big deal

RSK Property Maintenance
02-19-2013, 01:21 AM
It doesn't sound like you had much fun but like you said you learned some things. I think you waited way to long to roll out.

I rolled out at noon Friday with about 2 inches on the ground and started hitting my accounts near me, mostly just to mark them with snow berms. By 5:00 pm I had 6 inches and was on my second push of a factory parking lot I do. By 7:30 the roads were almost impassable but I did venture out on my route anyway coming back to my factory lot each time, once with 6 inches of new snow on it around 2 am. Around 4:00 am I tried to get gas but everything was closed, even the Mobil that swore they'd be open all night so I had to skip my planned run up into the woods. Instead I worked my way home and helped a friend of mine upon up a large church lot about 1/2 mile up the road from me...he couldn't get a lane in...and then went home for a little break. I got stuck trying to plow a neighbors driveway that I hadn't plowed at all yet and said screw this and put my chains on with some help from my son. I ran around with my chains on all day Saturday and parked it around midnight, so a 36 hour shift with just one long break Saturday morning. All I do with my chains on is blast things open...it's difficult to maneuver with them on. I rolled back out around 10:00 am Sunday without my chains on and did a few accounts and then went back and got my son to help with detail work until about midnight when I dropped him off an ran back out solo until 3:30 am Monday, at which point I had finished all of my regulars. Monday I started on the list of one-time customers that my wife had compiled for me but it started raining so I spent most of my time doing slush runs on my regulars and hitting aprons now that the town and state had gotten to the roads. Some of the one-timers were downright nasty with my wife even though she was pretty clear with them that they would have to wait. Thankfully she has pretty good phone skills because she works on a temporary basis for a FTD call center during their busy periods. My pricing is way below what yours is...mostly in the $125 to $150 range. I've yet to finalize my invoicing on my regular customers though. I only ended up doing about a half dozen one-timers.

I agree I think i did wait too long, but my truck with 1000lbs of sand in the bed, and with new nitto trail grappler mud/snow tires in september, had some of the best traction next to your truck with 235 snow tires and chains, that your gonna find. my tires are a 285 width and 33" tall so still pretty skinny. with huge deep treads that are self cleaning and really bite down into the snow. I would have liked to go out starting at 6" but by the time i did my last account it would have been 30-35hrs later with just me and one other truck especially once the roads got really bad around 11pm friday night and the town trucks quit or were getting stuck themselves and needed loaders to pull them out, so that was not much of option. i tried driving through close to 2' of unplowed snow way too much effort on my trucks part. I could see enough, but the truck was just struggling too much to go 10-15mph even so i called it quits.

KnK
02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
yes, do commercial and industrial, salt and plow, get about 40 something inches a season, i am typing because its raining not snowing now, got to take the good with the bad, if we get more global warming i'll cut more grass i guess, anyway you look at it im outside the house and off the couch

Groomer
02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I agree I think i did wait too long, but my truck with 1000lbs of sand in the bed, and with new nitto trail grappler mud/snow tires in september, had some of the best traction next to your truck with 235 snow tires and chains, that your gonna find. my tires are a 285 width and 33" tall so still pretty skinny. with huge deep treads that are self cleaning and really bite down into the snow. I would have liked to go out starting at 6" but by the time i did my last account it would have been 30-35hrs later with just me and one other truck especially once the roads got really bad around 11pm friday night and the town trucks quit or were getting stuck themselves and needed loaders to pull them out, so that was not much of option. i tried driving through close to 2' of unplowed snow way too much effort on my trucks part. I could see enough, but the truck was just struggling too much to go 10-15mph even so i called it quits.

Man, hat's off. There's snow and then there's SNOW!

PetesLandscape&Supply
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
We have been in and out if it over the last 20 years and going back in next year...just to quiet :sleeping: and not enough money here in Ohio not to do it.....we have always done 80% contracts with the average contract being 400 bucks for the season...and having 30 + customers send U a 100 bucks each month in Dec. Jan. Feb. & March sure helps out.....:drinkup:

yardguy28
02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I think the mistake some guys make in the lawn and landscape industry is setting there businesses up to NEED the money from snow removal.

I'm solo. been in business for 7 years now. I do snow removal for one reason and one reason only. because I WANT to. during the working season I make enough money to carry me through the winter months if I decided to get out of the snow removal business. so when it snows its all extra money for me.

I realize depending on where you are in business you may not make enough just yet to no need to do snow removal but I know some of the guys in business purposely operate year after year after year counting on snow removal income.

dstifel
02-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I do snow soley for people i mow for for the reason of keeping other contractors out of there. I hate pushing snow its hard on everything involved including me haha. But around here people want a one stop shop its nearly impossible to land a commercial mowing job without also doing snow removal so i do what i need to to keep the account. Plus its nice to have a extra unexpected paycheck. I agree with yard guy i don't count or plan on any income from snow. I budget my money to have x amount every month december through march. Any money i get on top of that well lets be honest i have a little fun with it but i try to keep most of it put away until at least i know all my equipment is serviced and my trucks made it through the winter.

Darryl G
02-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah I hear you. I turned around because one of the state roads was unplowed and I had to be on the throttle too hard. It just wasn't worth it.

I don't know if I mentioned it but this was the first storm I've driven in with a GPS unit and it was a big help. I could see where the road was OK but it was hard to get any feel for where I actually was due to the low visibility...the GPS was a big help with that and alerting me to upcoming turns in the road.

dstifel
02-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Finally in for the night started yesterday at little after noon spraying parking lots. Got a short dinner break and started plowing. Timing of the storm was about perfect. Was able to get all commercials opened up a little before 6 am. Got all the residentials that pay to be open by 7 done. Investment of the small tractor with blower was amazing. Especially since all my residentials but one I can do three with our loading or unloading. Just finished up my last one of the night. Luckily I have 10 of my 25 residentials that are vacation homes and the owners are down in Florida so I don't have to rush to get them done. Everything went good no breakdowns besides a stubborn starter on the tractor once nothing a couple pops with the hammer didn't fix. Going to catch a 4-5 hour nap then go out and result do to warm conditions today had a lot of thawing going on and I don't want calls about ice due to refreeze. Great storm good amount light snow cant complain there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Finally in for the night started yesterday at little after noon spraying parking lots. Got a short dinner break and started plowing. Timing of the storm was about perfect. Was able to get all commercials opened up a little before 6 am. Got all the residentials that pay to be open by 7 done. Investment of the small tractor with blower was amazing. Especially since all my residentials but one I can do three with our loading or unloading. Just finished up my last one of the night. Luckily I have 10 of my 25 residentials that are vacation homes and the owners are down in Florida so I don't have to rush to get them done. Everything went good no breakdowns besides a stubborn starter on the tractor once nothing a couple pops with the hammer didn't fix. Going to catch a 4-5 hour nap then go out and result do to warm conditions today had a lot of thawing going on and I don't want calls about ice due to refreeze. Great storm good amount light snow cant complain there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. So towing/parking/maneuvering with a trailer wasn't a problem?

meets1
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
We do snow. Margin to margin snow out ways grass mowing. But you need the equipment which some may not all have. Need good people. Can't enforce that enough. But here in Iowa I have done snow 4 times this year. Years past I would do 15-25snow events.

dstifel
02-23-2013, 01:54 PM
It wasn't a whole lot of fun but kept it hooked up to my Dakota luckily road crews were excellent and that was not a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Good to see you're ok... did you make good$ off that snow or what?
Posted via Mobile Device

Missed this message somehow. I grossed about $7k for the storm. I have since learned that my pricing was on the low side. Most guys were charging $250 and up for residential drives...my highest was $200. But most of the guys had straight blades and it was a major struggle for them whereas I had an easier time with my V plow...not saying it wasn't a challenge at times.

copicut
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Missed this message somehow. I grossed about $7k for the storm. I have since learned that my pricing was on the low side. Most guys were charging $250 and up for residential drives...my highest was $200. But most of the guys had straight blades and it was a major struggle for them whereas I had an easier time with my V plow...not saying it wasn't a challenge at times.

how big are these driveways?