PDA

View Full Version : EDDM Advertising and Post Card Printing

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
So for all you guys contiplating EDDM and post card printing, i have been researching the last week about specifics, price, how to do it and what i need and i wanted to share what i found. This took me about a week to get all these quotes find this information and get all the details down. Hoping i save you guys a few hours of researching and contacting companies for quotes. It will all be right here.

I have been talking with a couple of different companies about post card printing and designing. Depending on price i am going to do either 10,000, 15,000 or 20,000 post cards mailed to residents of one city(Birmingham,MI)

The companies i have been talking to are Plan-itgraphics, Adea's Printing, Cactus Mailing, and GotPrint.com

Quotes are as followed for full color front and back:

Cactus Mailing
(10,000)6x11 post cards printed $876+$200 design fee + $352.67 shipping= $1,428.67
(15,000) 6x11 post cards printed $1,251+$200 design fee +$529.49 shipping= $1,980.49
(20,000) 6x11 post cards printed $1,575+$200 design fee + $696.26 shipping= $2,471.26

Plan-itGraphics.com
(10,000) 6.5"x9" post cards printed $595+$150 design fee+$65 bundle fee+ $95 shipping fee=$905
(15,000) 6.5"x9" post cards printed $895+$150 design fee+$85 bundle fee+ $104 shipping fee=$1.234
(20,000) 6.5"x9" post cards printed $999+$150 design fee+$100 bundle fee+ $130 shipping fee=$ 1,379

Adeas:
(10,000) 6.25"x8.5" post cards printed, designed, and shipped: $795
(15,000) 6.25"x8.5" post cards printed, designed and shipped: $1,245
(20,000) 6.25"x8.5" post cards printed, designed and shipped: $1,430

GotPrint.com
(10,000) 6.5"x9" post card printed $562.87 + $109.49 shipping: $672.36
(15,000) 6.5"x9" post card printed $824.36 + $151.40 shipping: $953.76
(20,000) 6.5"x9" post card printed $1084.69 + $201.87 shipping: $1286.56

----Per EDDM Specifications post cards need to be grouped in 50 post card bundles. Only Plan-itgraphics can do this service fo an extra (VERY AFFORDABLE FEE)

-EDDM postage to non-saturated and saturated routes is 14.5cents per piece
-5000 post cards per day can be mailed
-Go to the post office website and find the routes you would like to select(target market) and take the routes to the post office when post cards are dropped off.

I have found that most companies to do direct mailing all inclusive want to charge anywhere from .27 cents each to .40 cents each for all inclusive services. With EDDM mailing you will be spending on average of .1905 to .2315 cents per piece.

My marketing plan is to hit 8000 houses twice(16,000 total). Then i am going to be doing a specific direct mailing of 240 houses in a specific subdivision we already do the commons areas at. I will be doing direct mailers to these houses 4 different times to each house from Feb 28th to April 10th.

I am going to order a total of 20,000 post cards, 5,000 door hangers for handing out by hand, and another 5,000 brochures to hand out by hand to areas we already service.

We are going to be hoping for 1.5-3% ROI(average is 2% for my marketing campaign the past two years) We are focusing the post cards on mowing and landscape maintenance, and the doorhangers and brochures will focus on landscaping(brick paving,irrigation, and design).

We will be sending a total of 30,000 pieces plus hundreds of business cards and lawn signs.

I will be posting proofs of everything the next month or so as stuff starts being sent out. IF anyone has any questions, i have done my research for the most part and feel very comfortable doing EDDM instead of payin a company to do it all for me. I am going to be saving 9 cents per piece. That is a savings of $1,800 dollars which i am going to be spending on 3'x6' billboards for the trailers, 2'x4' banners for landscape job's, and two new trimmers, two new edgers, and a recipocator

Saving money on advertising not only allows you to advertise more, but allows you to make purchase you couldnt have done if you were paying people to do services for you that you can do yourself.

rlmlandscape
01-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the infor Delong. So these postcard your going to have printed by a printing company and then use the post office mailing list to do the mailing. Am I understanding this correctly? I'm looking to do 40,000 door hangers this year and the prices on Adeas is way higher for printing and mailing then what you posted. Just trying to figure out the cheapest way even if it takes more work on my end. Thanks a lot.

xclusive
01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Not tryin to put your post down as it is a very good one, but I was one of the first people that did EDDM with plan-it graphics last year and I can tell you this your 1.5 - 3.0% ROI is high. Also keep in mind with doing EDDM there is a lot more paperwork to do prior to taking it to the post office. I know when I spoke to Bob he said if he bundled it shipping costs would be higher because it requires more boxes for shipment.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the infor Delong. So these postcard your going to have printed by a printing company and then use the post office mailing list to do the mailing. Am I understanding this correctly? I'm looking to do 40,000 door hangers this year and the prices on Adeas is way higher for printing and mailing then what you posted. Just trying to figure out the cheapest way even if it takes more work on my end. Thanks a lot.

Door hangers are cheaper to print but mailing? How would you mail a door hanger? They are meant to pass out by hand and hang on a door handle or stick-it to the door . What is your target market. 40k door hangers is a tonnnnnn of literature to be passing out. Are you doing some areas twice?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Not tryin to put your post down as it is a very good one, but I was one of the first people that did EDDM with plan-it graphics last year and I can tell you this your 1.5 - 3.0% ROI is high. Also keep in mind with doing EDDM there is a lot more paperwork to do prior to taking it to the post office. I know when I spoke to Bob he said if he bundled it shipping costs would be higher because it requires more boxes for shipment.

No problem. The shipping charges from bob were with the bundles.(from California, not Ohio) I talked to him on the phone for awhile as well. I have not yet been to the post office but have filled out the online forms and have a meeting tomorrow with the post office. The 1.5-3% is extremely high.two years ago I did 5000 once, and got .90% roi, last year we did 10,000(5000 twice) and got a return if 1.3% which I was very happy with. This year I am shooting for 300 calls within the first month, and 100-150 thought the next 3 month after. So 1.5-3%!!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Yes, instead of having a company do it all for me, I am having a printing company design,print, bundle, and mail to me. Then I am going to take them to post office with my routes and send them eddm.

rlmlandscape
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
I meant 40,000 post cards. Not paying attention to what I'm typing. 40,000 door hangers would be insane.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
No problem. The shipping charges from bob were with the bundles.(from California, not Ohio) I talked to him on the phone for awhile as well. I have not yet been to the post office but have filled out the online forms and have a meeting tomorrow with the post office. The 1.5-3% is extremely high.two years ago I did 5000 once, and got .90% roi, last year we did 10,000(5000 twice) and got a return if 1.3% which I was very happy with. This year I am shooting for 300 calls within the first month, and 100-150 thought the next 3 month after. So 1.5-3%!!

Good Luck with your meeting hopefully they are more knowledgable nowadays. Last year I was teaching them. :laugh: I was hoping to get a 1-2% response and did not from EDDM in 2012. I got less calls than when I passed out postcards door to door the year prior. I also noticed that the calls stopped coming in after about 6 weeks, but I guess it also depending on what your offering.

grandview (2006)
01-23-2013, 10:38 PM
My printer did all the work for me. The difference was 75 bucks for him to bundle and drop them off at the post office.Remember with the PO they only take cash debit or check ,no cc

xclusive
01-23-2013, 10:41 PM
My printer did all the work for me. The difference was 75 bucks for him to bundle and drop them off at the post office.Remember with the PO they only take cash debit or check ,no cc

Thats a good deal. How many did you put out?

grandview (2006)
01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
5,000 postcards in 2 weeks.All I did was give him the route numbers and they did everything else. It was easy for him to print and have them bundled instead of me trying to count them out.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I meant 40,000 post cards. Not paying attention to what I'm typing. 40,000 door hangers would be insane.
Posted via Mobile Device

Makes a lot more sense! Hah. If you don't mind me asking, what did Adela's quote you for 40,000 post cards

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM

Who did you use for printing? I really would like to eliminate the hassle of bundling allcthesepost cards. It would take me forever

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Good Luck with your meeting hopefully they are more knowledgable nowadays. Last year I was teaching them. :laugh: I was hoping to get a 1-2% response and did not from EDDM in 2012. I got less calls than when I passed out postcards door to door the year prior. I also noticed that the calls stopped coming in after about 6 weeks, but I guess it also depending on what your offering.

I am debating whether or not to hand out all of these by hand. I have a hockey team that could hand them out , it would just take hours upon hours of passion out 15k fliers!

grandview (2006)
01-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Who did you use for printing? I really would like to eliminate the hassle of bundling allcthesepost cards. It would take me forever

I try and work with local companies. Check your Chamber of Commerce if one is listed. Most printing companies will work with you.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
I try and work with local companies. Check your Chamber of Commerce if one is listed. Most printing companies will work with you.

I will look into that. I would like to use a local company as well. Seems to be no good quality printing companies that want to work with low volume orders(50k and less)

xclusive
01-23-2013, 11:51 PM
I tried working with several local companies and all there printing prices were through the roof. Some almost triple of what I paid.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Thats what i have found too. I have received quotes for the same exact amount and specs as the ones listed on this thread, and 10k fliers have been as high as 2,000 to print

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Talk to Bob at Plan-it Graphics. His prices are very reasonable and his quality is the best out there. Check out my Facebook page for Gold Leaf Lawnscapes, and you will see the eddm postcards he did for me. The backside was edited since positing to fix a grammar mistake on my facebook slogan. The cards look even better in person than they do on the page!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes
01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Was that ROI just calls about services or was that actual clients that you got from the mailings?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Well eddm isn't as all as simple as I thought it was. Which makes me pretty upset that I have to now go through all of my post cards again. Here are the steps of eddm including everything from start to finish, undisclosed:

1) design post cards and insert criteria for standards eddm retail mailing
1.5) get post cards bundled in groups of 50
2) print post cards and have them delivered to your house
3) go to eddm retail route selection tool and select routes in which you want post cards to be mailed. When selected you need to open up a free account and create a crid number for your mailings.
4) print out all route paper work and post office receipt for their records when you drop the shipment off
5) either pay online or select pay when dropped off
6) when post cards are delivered to you, open up all the boxes and start sorting and founding the bundles of 50 to get the correct amount for each route.
7) after separated into routes, copy the route cover page for how many bundles you have and print them out. These have to be on each bundle and have to say how many fliers there are in each bundle, as well as the date dropped off and how many bundles there are (I.e 1 of 9, 2 of 9, ect)
8) now you have to stack each route together and separate them in boxes or it will be a nightmare at the post office when they take the bundles in, and all the people waiting in line behind you will get pissed because they have to record and count each bundle and route while your giving them to them to make sure your totals are correct so they can charge accordingly
9) pay the lady (not 14.5 cents) but 16 cents each-----which really pissed me off because a month ago the postage was 14.5 cents each.

Step number 7 made me the most mad. I separated all of the route and bundles out from each other and had one cover page for each route. I had to go print and copy 35 more pages for my first small batch of testers and it took another 2 hrs of time to unpack all the boxes, lay everything out, put the paper work for each bundle where it needed to be and then stack and write the necessary info on each piece of paper per bundle.....

Saving 1000 dollars on the mailings sounded like a great idea at first. Then when the post cards were all said and done. It cost 3 cents higher with shipping and designing were completed. And another 1.5 cents to mail them. Plus another 350 sheets of copies for each bundle and another 10-15 hrs out of my time to sort all the routes, print necessary paperwork, and understand how all of this worked. And this was just for my first tester batch of 1500 cards.... I've started my first major batch of 8k going out on 3/20/13 and I'm hoping I can find a system for doing this easier .

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Talk to Bob at Plan-it Graphics. His prices are very reasonable and his quality is the best out there. Check out my Facebook page for Gold Leaf Lawnscapes, and you will see the eddm postcards he did for me. The backside was edited since positing to fix a grammar mistake on my facebook slogan. The cards look even better in person than they do on the page!
Posted via Mobile Device

Roi was landed jobs, not just calls. To be Horst I very seldom have people call and ask about services and don't use my services. My land rate is about 95% which may be due to my reputation, or because I'm a good talker and am very friendly.

Bob did my printing for me, very easy guy to work with

xclusive
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Well eddm isn't as all as simple as I thought it was. Which makes me pretty upset that I have to now go through all of my post cards again. Here are the steps of eddm including everything from start to finish, undisclosed:

3) go to eddm retail route selection tool and select routes in which you want post cards to be mailed. When selected you need to open up a free account and create a crid number for your mailings.
4) print out all route paper work and post office receipt for their records when you drop the shipment off
6) when post cards are delivered to you, open up all the boxes and start sorting and founding the bundles of 50 to get the correct amount for each route.
7) after separated into routes, copy the route cover page for how many bundles you have and print them out. These have to be on each bundle and have to say how many fliers there are in each bundle, as well as the date dropped off and how many bundles there are (I.e 1 of 9, 2 of 9, ect)
8) now you have to stack each route together and separate them in boxes or it will be a nightmare at the post office when they take the bundles in, and all the people waiting in line behind you will get pissed because they have to record and count each bundle and route while your giving them to them to make sure your totals are correct so they can charge accordingly
9) pay the lady (not 14.5 cents) but 16 cents each-----which really pissed me off because a month ago the postage was 14.5 cents each.

Step number 7 made me the most mad. I separated all of the route and bundles out from each other and had one cover page for each route. I had to go print and copy 35 more pages for my first small batch of testers and it took another 2 hrs of time to unpack all the boxes, lay everything out, put the paper work for each bundle where it needed to be and then stack and write the necessary info on each piece of paper per bundle.....

Saving 1000 dollars on the mailings sounded like a great idea at first. Then when the post cards were all said and done. It cost 3 cents higher with shipping and designing were completed. And another 1.5 cents to mail them. Plus another 350 sheets of copies for each bundle and another 10-15 hrs out of my time to sort all the routes, print necessary paperwork, and understand how all of this worked. And this was just for my first tester batch of 1500 cards.... I've started my first major batch of 8k going out on 3/20/13 and I'm hoping I can find a system for doing this easier .

If you think that was bad you should have done it last year. Things are defintely much easier this year than last.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
If you think that was bad you should have done it last year. Things are defintely much easier this year than last.

What else did you have to do? I think thisnwhole program is made to seem easy, but throws you through huge loops and doesn't disclose any of this upfront

KrayzKajun
03-02-2013, 06:05 PM
im bundling cards right now. i have 1600 goin out on monday

xclusive
03-02-2013, 06:22 PM
What else did you have to do? I think thisnwhole program is made to seem easy, but throws you through huge loops and doesn't disclose any of this upfront

I had to bundle 20k cause that service was not offered by the printing company ladt year. Let me tell you having 20k pre bundled was f%^&ing awesome and well worth it this year. They did not have the interactive map like this year so you had to get the map elsewhere. And all the slips that print out when you are done had to be manually completed.

Not to sound like a jack@ss, but if you dont pay the printing company to bundle for you, you are just outright stupid and/or cheap!! I can use my time better by doing something else that will pay for the service many times over.

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes
03-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I had to bundle 20k cause that service was not offered by the printing company ladt year. Let me tell you having 20k pre bundled was f%^&ing awesome and well worth it this year. They did not have the interactive map like this year so you had to get the map elsewhere. And all the slips that print out when you are done had to be manually completed.

Not to sound like a jack@ss, but if you dont pay the printing company to bundle for you, you are just outright stupid and/or cheap!! I can use my time better by doing something else that will pay for the service many times over.

I agree! I had mine bundled because it is well worth the price. I had some bundles come in broken, but I just rebundled them with elastics. Some broken ones are to be expected due to shipping. I followed the directions on the website and had no problems with sending them out. It could just be the post office you are dealing with. I have heard some of them do make things more difficult than they need to be. I have both good and bad post offices in surrounding towns and I could see where that would be a fact. It's unfortunate that they are not all equal as it makes our lives more difficult. I will continue to use the service in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 09:35 PM
I agree! I had mine bundled because it is well worth the price. I had some bundles come in broken, but I just rebundled them with elastics. Some broken ones are to be expected due to shipping. I followed the directions on the website and had no problems with sending them out. It could just be the post office you are dealing with. I have heard some of them do make things more difficult than they need to be. I have both good and bad post offices in surrounding towns and I could see where that would be a fact. It's unfortunate that they are not all equal as it makes our lives more difficult. I will continue to use the service in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device

That may be it, i got all of mine pre bundled, but you have to bundle another piece of paper with EACH bundle of 50 post cards. And you have to manually fill out the day, how many post cards are in the bundle, and which bundle this is out of the full route (i.e 1 of 9)

When i read and read and read and contacted people and even my printing customer, i never read or was informated that i was going to have to print out all of this post office paperwork to go along with my mailers in each bundle.

What i thought i had to do was to count out how many are going to each route and then attach one sheet to the entire route and put that ontop of all of the route postcards. Not every individual bundle.

I took some pictures of doing a batch of 4000 and a batch of 1500 and it just is tiring me out. I liked so much better, last year, when all i did was told adeas when i wanted them to be sent out, and they handled everything. I paid 28 cents each, right now, i am going to be at around 24 cents each.

15,000 post cards costed me $1,200 dollars or 0.08 cents each
Mailing is going to cost me 0.16 cent each.

4 cents x 15,000 is a pretty good savings, but i thought i would cost me somewhere in the 20 cents range to send them all out.

Greener Grounds NC
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
i have been thinking about this and a local print shop is doing sets of 5000 for me @$375.00. So dlong what you are saying is that every bundle is every 50 post cards? and for each 50 you have to havea cover page with all the same information on top of every 50?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 10:44 PM
i have been thinking about this and a local print shop is doing sets of 5000 for me @$375.00. So dlong what you are saying is that every bundle is every 50 post cards? and for each 50 you have to havea cover page with all the same information on top of every 50?

yes exactly. Lets say there are 400 homes in a route. You have to print out 8 cover pages for each 50 postcards bundled together.

KrayzKajun
03-02-2013, 10:49 PM
yes exactly. Lets say there are 400 homes in a route. You have to print out 8 cover pages for each 50 postcards bundled together.

You only need one cover page per route. If you pay online the forms are prefilled with the info. You just have a few boxes to fill out.
Posted via Mobile Device

BenThere Lawncare
03-02-2013, 10:59 PM
The bundles don't necessarily have to be in sets of 50 either. You can bundle them anywhere from 50-100 in each bundle which would have saved you a lot of paperwork. I bundled mine in sets of 100 until the last set needed to be counted out to the exact number for each route. For example a route with 460 houses I made 4 bundles of 100 and 1 bundle of 60. I just put a sticky note on top of each with the amount in that particular bundle.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
You only need one cover page per route. If you pay online the forms are prefilled with the info. You just have a few boxes to fill out.
Posted via Mobile Device

That isnt what the b i tch at the post office told me! Thats bull **** becasue that is how i did it originally and was ready to drop them all off and she told me i couldnt this afternoon. Here is my 4600 post card route, along my kitchen counter, and then here is my per bundle with pieces of paper on each along my kitchen table.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-02-2013, 11:08 PM
The bundles don't necessarily have to be in sets of 50 either. You can bundle them anywhere from 50-100 in each bundle which would have saved you a lot of paperwork. I bundled mine in sets of 100 until the last set needed to be counted out to the exact number for each route. For example a route with 460 houses I made 4 bundles of 100 and 1 bundle of 60. I just put a sticky note on top of each with the amount in that particular bundle.

if you can see on the picture. Each stack has a small post it note with the number of the route, and then how many cards are there. for 430 houses i had 8 bundles of 50, and then on the top i have 30 bundled together with the top labled which mailing they are going to be for.

xclusive
03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually you do need 1 cover page per bundle. That's why it says # ____ of x bundles. Every post office may say something different but that's why that box is there. It's probably in case boxes break and stuff gets mixed up. Also the forms that print are not enough to for all bundles so you have to print up some and fill out a couple of boxes with info

BenThere Lawncare
03-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Really what it all comes down to is your own post office and the way they handle EDDM. Since it is a relatively new program many of the post offices do not know what the exact requirements are for the mailers. Some are much more leniant then others.

xclusive
03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Really what it all comes down to is your own post office and the way they handle EDDM. Since it is a relatively new program many of the post offices do not know what the exact requirements are for the mailers. Some are much more leniant then others.

Well said :clapping:

newz7151
03-03-2013, 02:32 AM

Yes, but a month ago, the first class stamp was (XX) cents cheaper too. When the first class rate goes up, everything else does too. And i think it was 14 cents before for these..

xclusive
03-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Yes, but a month ago, the first class stamp was (XX) cents cheaper too. When the first class rate goes up, everything else does too. And i think it was 14 cents before for these..

No it was 14.5 cents prior to the rate increase.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-03-2013, 11:43 AM
I guess if this is the way you want to do it, expect it to be a time consuming process. I thought it was going to be pretty simple and all id have to do is drop the post cards off. If your doing a big mailing, it's worth it, but if you are just going to be doing 1,000 direct mailers, you can hire a company to do them for you and save youself the head aches, but pay 50 or so more dollars.
Posted via Mobile Device

grandview (2006)
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
That's what I did. Had the printer do from start to finish,cost me an extra 75.00 bucks. Plus with the po they only want cash or check,maybe debit card,no cc. So they paid for postage and I just put it all on my cc to them.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Grand view, what did everything cost you and how many did you have printed?

KrayzKajun
03-03-2013, 02:50 PM
The postoffice here takes credit card.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Same with mine, I have a new chase credit card with 5% cash back the first three months. So I will be spending my limit each month with the start up costs. I hate credit cards , much prefer debit, but saving 5% is a pretty good deal

mowing4cash
03-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Get a small mail scale and weight out 100 postcards in grams then you will not have to count out the postcards every time. Scales are $10 at walmart. I can do 5000 post cards in less then 4 hours bundling and paperwork and selecting routes

grandview (2006)
03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
The postoffice here takes credit card.
Posted via Mobile Device

Might of changed. Last yr no cc.

5000 postcards designed,printed service for the mailing and postage was around 1100.00

BenThere Lawncare
03-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Get a small mail scale and weight out 100 postcards in grams then you will not have to count out the postcards every time. Scales are $10 at walmart. I can do 5000 post cards in less then 4 hours bundling and paperwork and selecting routes

Really good idea there. I think the OP is making this a little harder then he has to. I had my batch of 5000 sorted and ready to go in about 3 hours.

mowing4cash
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Print this out next time to show the Post office that you can do it in bundles of 100

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Q0ic7OLzh9MJ:https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/quick-reference-guide.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgwuNBqw2pWjEi2x15Z-_PoSigkaWhQA7iVX_eKyRdhxMOTF3LjAK8l4mEmvvr47-XQ3BRVbDX9AjWqid9bWcXA1ws87lPiKJT9QiR7fCdAk1nkOkDdRapeFq1q03GRi0D-J0xd&sig=AHIEtbSnxVg8thOUXboy7jeN6WVvuxFzMg

Greener Grounds NC
03-03-2013, 06:24 PM
what day of the week do you think is the most effective to send out direct mailers? I know this does matter along with the weather. Some people are in a rush on fridays etc have places to go, plans to make out of town etc. What days do you guys have the best results with? I have found Wednesdays to be best for me.

BenThere Lawncare
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Im waiting for a good 3 day stretch where the weather is nice and sunny and people start thinking about springtime more and more. In my area the newspaper ads go in the mail on Wednesdays so I would be careful not to have yours sent on the same day and get lost in all the other mail.

KrayzKajun
03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I have 1600 cards going out 2morrow. So should be in mailboxes by tuesday. Forecast is 70s with sunshine. Guess we will see how this batch goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Really good idea there. I think the OP is making this a little harder then he has to. I had my batch of 5000 sorted and ready to go in about 3 hours.

i know what i have to do. im just complaining becuase i have crap load of work to do in the next week and wanted to get all this done in 15 minutes, not 10 hours!

My tester batch goes out tomorrow to my neighborhood and a couple surrounding neighborhoods. 1500 post cards.

Can someone give me a straight answer on this: (and show me where they found the answer)

Lets say i have a route of 483 houses(my neighborhood). I got my post cards bundled by 50 from Bob at Plan-it Graphics. So they are already bundled. I am going to be using 10 bundles and one of the bundles i am going to be removing 17 post cards to make that bundle '33'.

How many pieces of paper am i going to have to put on this entire route.

Option #1: one piece of paper that prints out with the other two sheets for the full mailing, to put ontop of the whole route pile(all 483 post cards)

-or

Option #2: 10 pieces of paper that print out with the other two sheets needed for the full mailing. With each of these ten sheets, one will go on each bundle of 50, 9 of those, and 1 bundle of 33 postcards. They will state how many are in each bundle "50", the date they are going to be dropped off, the route number(already printed in ink on the sheet when printed out from online usps order, and then which number bundle it is out of the full route.

Example:

3/4/13-50-1 of 10
3/4/13-50- 2 of 10
3/4/13-50-3 of 10
3/4/13-50-4 of 10
3/4/13-50-5 of 10
3/4/13-50-6 of 10
3/4/13-50-7 of 10
3/4/13-50-8 of 10
3/4/13-50-9 of 10
3/4/13-33-10 of 10

Post office lady said they arent excepting the 1st option. Only the second option is a legal way of doing EDDM retail mailing

BenThere Lawncare
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM
I have 1600 cards going out 2morrow. So should be in mailboxes by tuesday. Forecast is 70s with sunshine. Guess we will see how this batch goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

How many calls did your first batch get you last month?

xclusive
03-03-2013, 08:38 PM
i know what i have to do. im just complaining becuase i have crap load of work to do in the next week and wanted to get all this done in 15 minutes, not 10 hours!

My tester batch goes out tomorrow to my neighborhood and a couple surrounding neighborhoods. 1500 post cards.

Can someone give me a straight answer on this: (and show me where they found the answer)

Lets say i have a route of 483 houses(my neighborhood). I got my post cards bundled by 50 from Bob at Plan-it Graphics. So they are already bundled. I am going to be using 10 bundles and one of the bundles i am going to be removing 17 post cards to make that bundle '33'.

How many pieces of paper am i going to have to put on this entire route.

Option #1: one piece of paper that prints out with the other two sheets for the full mailing, to put ontop of the whole route pile(all 483 post cards)

-or

Option #2: 10 pieces of paper that print out with the other two sheets needed for the full mailing. With each of these ten sheets, one will go on each bundle of 50, 9 of those, and 1 bundle of 33 postcards. They will state how many are in each bundle "50", the date they are going to be dropped off, the route number(already printed in ink on the sheet when printed out from online usps order, and then which number bundle it is out of the full route.

Example:

3/4/13-50-1 of 10
3/4/13-50- 2 of 10
3/4/13-50-3 of 10
3/4/13-50-4 of 10
3/4/13-50-5 of 10
3/4/13-50-6 of 10
3/4/13-50-7 of 10
3/4/13-50-8 of 10
3/4/13-50-9 of 10
3/4/13-33-10 of 10

Post office lady said they arent excepting the 1st option. Only the second option is a legal way of doing EDDM retail mailing

2nd option is the way the post office wants it, but other branches may accept something different. Even though its a year old program many of the postal workers arent fully familar with it hence the reason every post office says something different.

newz7151
03-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Print this out next time to show the Post office that you can do it in bundles of 100

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Q0ic7OLzh9MJ:https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/quick-reference-guide.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgwuNBqw2pWjEi2x15Z-_PoSigkaWhQA7iVX_eKyRdhxMOTF3LjAK8l4mEmvvr47-XQ3BRVbDX9AjWqid9bWcXA1ws87lPiKJT9QiR7fCdAk1nkOkDdRapeFq1q03GRi0D-J0xd&sig=AHIEtbSnxVg8thOUXboy7jeN6WVvuxFzMg

That is very misleading when they say 50 to 100 and then in the example of 426 say 8 bundles of 50 and one of 26, instead of 4 of 100 and 1 of 26.

JContracting
03-04-2013, 01:49 AM
Now that I've read about this I'm dreading this process when my postcards arrive from Bob @ Plan-It and I bring my postcards to the Post Office in a couple weeks. When I called my local post office (Champlin, MN), at the time I thought I needed to have a permit for it, so I ask the people working there about EDDM and having a permit and that person had no idea, they gave me the phone number for the retail office at a location about 10 miles east and in a city I won't even be marketing in and that person had no idea, she said "I'm just a clerk at the retail office, I don't know much about it". At that point I said "Alright thanks" and hung up.

Looks like I'm in for some fun in 2 or 3 weeks once the weather warms up. But hey, it's gotta be better than walking tens of miles doing door to door with them! Even if the cost shot up which I'm also not too happy about.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 03:27 AM
Long restless nights worrying bout advertising.lol jk... Just thinking to myself, can you really grow substantially without advertising and just "word of mouth" referrals? I read so much in here where guys get customers left and right from "good work"..... I'm telling you right now I do some of the best work around, have a clean company image and advertise like crazy and get maybe 5 good customers a year from word of mouth..... My area is so saturated with companies that most neighbors have different companies and just stick with their companies. Wen they screw up, on to the next landscape company.... No true loyalty with people mowing for 15 per cut

HHlandscaping
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I Went to the post office on Friday with my first batch of only 532. I had 5 bundles of 100 and 1 bundle of 32 with

cover sheets on each and handed them my cover letter, I paid and that was it.

I don't understand what you are having such a big problem with ??

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I Went to the post office on Friday with my first batch of only 532. I had 5 bundles of 100 and 1 bundle of 32 with

cover sheets on each and handed them my cover letter, I paid and that was it.

I don't understand what you are having such a big problem with ??

i dont have any problems with anything, i am just bitcc hing about how long 15k fliers is going to take. 532 is not many fliers, but do that 30 times and it takes some time. Also, when i bundled them by 50, its gonna take double the time. Wish i bundled them by 100!!!!! Stupid me!!!

I mailed my first batch today. 1542 of them. Took me about 25 minutes to get everyhting ready.

HHlandscaping
03-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Yea Its not that Bad I just made a stack of 100 then matched the stacks up

(might be one or too off ) but its good enough for me . I just bundled another

1000 today.

The way you made it seem in your post is that Eddm isnt that good because of

the bundling.

Let us know how your first batch goes its kind of cold here so Im not sure how mine will do

turf hokie
03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Trugreen knocked on my door today.

Don't want them getting too far ahead of me. Especially in my backyard soooo I am now doing the paperwork to mail my 1st 5000 out on Wednesday.

We bundled last week. So it isn't taking long to get the routes set up.

1st time doing Eddm. But the local post office actually said that a local restaurant did an Eddm to the same area that I am and got overwhelmed with the response. I can only hope to be that lucky.

Good luck all.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
03-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Long restless nights worrying bout advertising.lol jk... Just thinking to myself, can you really grow substantially without advertising and just "word of mouth" referrals? I read so much in here where guys get customers left and right from "good work"..... I'm telling you right now I do some of the best work around, have a clean company image and advertise like crazy and get maybe 5 good customers a year from word of mouth..... My area is so saturated with companies that most neighbors have different companies and just stick with their companies. Wen they screw up, on to the next landscape company.... No true loyalty with people mowing for 15 per cut

I haven't gained a single client from word of mouth. My market is saturated also. I cant wait to get my postcards BBC out, just to get the ball rolling on the landscape season, I haven't sent out this much advertising before so hopefully it'll yield a good amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I haven't gained a single client from word of mouth. My market is saturated also. I cant wait to get my postcards BBC out, just to get the ball rolling on the landscape season, I haven't sent out this much advertising before so hopefully it'll yield a good amount.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am excited as well. I am going to have 9000 post cards going out on march 20th and am so excited to see results and gain some good accounts.

Btw, I bought a John Deere 400 with a snowplow earlier this season for $250 dollars, put some work into it and painted the plow, and sold it today for $3200 on craigslist ..... Finally free up some capital for start up costs and new uniforms and truck downpl0ayment

KrayzKajun
03-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Dlong, i need your design info on a thread i posted under commercial landscaping. Thanks buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Nice work on the Deere. I too am hoping for some good quality full service accts from it. We have 7-12" of snow coming tonight. Hopefully this is the last of winter and we can do clean ups in early April this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Dlong, i need your design info on a thread i posted under commercial landscaping. Thanks buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device

ill check it out.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Nice work on the Deere. I too am hoping for some good quality full service accts from it. We have 7-12" of snow coming tonight. Hopefully this is the last of winter and we can do clean ups in early April this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh boy, i see the radar. a lot of my family lives in minnesota,in minneapoles**, mankato, and other parts. THey are getting nailed! Good lukc with the storm, stay safe

JContracting
03-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Thanks man. Will do. I thought I'd maybe get some sleep before heading out around 1 (hr and a half from now). But nope! Too excited :laugh: NWS just upped the total to 4-8" overnight & another 3-5" tmrw. 7-13". I love per push & hourly contracts! Especially medium commercials (2-3 acres) that are hourly!
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
03-05-2013, 01:51 AM
i am just bitcc hing about how long 15k fliers is going to take. 532 is not many fliers, but do that 30 times and it takes some time. Also, when i bundled them by 50, its gonna take double the time. Wish i bundled them by 100!!!!! Stupid me!!!

I mailed my first batch today. 1542 of them. Took me about 25 minutes to get everyhting ready.

I thought I saw an awful lot of pairs of shoes in one of your pictures.. unless you wear all of those at some point, you've obviously got some family.. kids, parents, wife, etc living there with you... put their asses to work, especially if your lawn business is a big $$$$ provider to the household, why let them reap the rewards without putting in a little of the work?

JContracting
03-05-2013, 01:55 AM
Its his business. I know dlong is a year younger than me, but why should his parents (if he does still, I'm not sure if he does live with them or not) have to help him? Idiotic.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-05-2013, 02:35 AM
I thought I saw an awful lot of pairs of shoes in one of your pictures.. unless you wear all of those at some point, you've obviously got some family.. kids, parents, wife, etc living there with you... put their asses to work, especially if your lawn business is a big $$$$ provider to the household, why let them reap the rewards without putting in a little of the work?

Mud room is filled with too many pairs of shoes. Hahaha, I like doing things on my own and making sure they are done right.... My dad helps me with business insight, and my mom second guesses everything I do, or asks me how I know how to do something...... Lil bro gets put to work tho! He is spoiled rotten by me!!!! My gf helps the most and she offers to help!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Thanks man. Will do. I thought I'd maybe get some sleep before heading out around 1 (hr and a half from now). But nope! Too excited :laugh: NWS just upped the total to 4-8" overnight & another 3-5" tmrw. 7-13". I love per push & hourly contracts! Especially medium commercials (2-3 acres) that are hourly!
Posted via Mobile Device

I need to bill for last months snow! I would like to get one or two more snows just to help out the 10 day vacation I just took!!!! Well worth it tho. I think I am going to schedule another one exactly the same time , next year... 10 days to clear my head , freshen up my tan, and get ready to work and finish up school.

Hopefully that storm stays north as it comes across Lake Michigan and we get some of it. We only are forecasted to get an inch.

Houser
03-06-2013, 12:57 PM
If you do not want EDDM pieces go to your existing customers on the route, you can not write their addresses on the facing slip. Post office says "Do not deliver Address" part is only for residents called you and rejected any junk mail from you. Is it possible to exclude existing customers from EDDM delivery?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-06-2013, 01:38 PM
If you do not want EDDM pieces go to your existing customers on the route, you can not write their addresses on the facing slip. Post office says "Do not deliver Address" part is only for residents called you and rejected any junk mail from you. Is it possible to exclude existing customers from EDDM delivery?

i dont mind at all if myxisting customers see my advertisments. I have already got my cards sent out and have actually recieved two emails from present customers wanting to do more work other than landscaping this year. My customers i think enjoy seeing where i take my company and how professional i hold my standards to each year.

Ive never had a present customer as for the same offer on the postcard as 'new customers' either, so i guess i will cross that bridge when i come to it.

HHlandscaping
03-06-2013, 02:56 PM
how many days after you dropped the flyers off did it take for your customers to receive in the mail ?? do you know ?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
how many days after you dropped the flyers off did it take for your customers to receive in the mail ?? do you know ?

i dropped it off on monday at 11 am and it was in my mailbox tuesday at 10 am

Less than 24 hours

JContracting
03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I need to bill for last months snow! I would like to get one or two more snows just to help out the 10 day vacation I just took!!!! Well worth it tho. I think I am going to schedule another one exactly the same time , next year... 10 days to clear my head , freshen up my tan, and get ready to work and finish up school.

Hopefully that storm stays north as it comes across Lake Michigan and we get some of it. We only are forecasted to get an inch.

We ended up getting 7-8" depending on exact location. Left my house at 2:10am Tues (after only an hr of sleep), got home at about 7:30pm, slept from 8-11pm, went back out, cleaned up commercials and did one "on call" resi and finally got home at 9am, slept only 3 hrs (with my phone ringing every 45 min it seemed from a variety of people, no complaining clients though thankfully) and then met with my CPA to get my taxes handled. It was somewhat warm today (30) so I washed off truck and plow and unhooked, unloaded all the bags of salt and everything else.

Fri-Sun looks interesting, a rain/snow/sleet mix and a few inches of accumulation possible. I have a family get-together 2 hrs south of home on Sunday that we do in remembrance/celebration of my Great Grandma that I hope I'll able to make it to with this storm. I'll definitely take the snow though! If temps cool off it could be another 8"! Paying cash for the Lazer Z w/ Ultravac I want may be within reach if we keep getting snow storms!!

I'd love to take a vacation but being as I'm solo with snow (aside from a friend to shovel once in a while when I'm pressed for time) I can't really go on vacation in the winter. Summer weekends are my vacation, heading to motocross races on Friday & riding Saturday & racing Sunday with my toy hauler, mini vacations basically. Definitely clears my mind after a long week!

i dropped it off on monday at 11 am and it was in my mailbox tuesday at 10 am

Less than 24 hours

You sent a route to your neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing that now also. Just to test the waters, I tried doorhangers in my neighborhood but they yielded nothing.

Time to relax and sleep!! 7 hrs in 2 days is not enough :sleeping:

TuffTurfLawnCare
03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I got all of my postacards bundled and ready to go. Before I started bundling them I called the two post offices to see how they wanted it done. They seemed very familiar with the proccess and answered my questions.

They want them bundled in no more than 100 pieces, with facing slips on each bundle. That's all there is to it. I had 2500 bundled in stacks of 100 in about 20 minutes. The post master said they will sit on them for a day or two if I want, but this may be different for each post office. I paid for the postage online so there is no issue using a credit or debit card.

Do you guys think having go out for Saturday delivery is a good idea or have them wait till next week? The snow on the ground should be melted off by sat with the sun shining. I was thinking the lack of snow and clear sky's with temps in the mid 50s would help people start thinking about spring. Your thoughts?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
We ended up getting 7-8" depending on exact location. Left my house at 2:10am Tues (after only an hr of sleep), got home at about 7:30pm, slept from 8-11pm, went back out, cleaned up commercials and did one "on call" resi and finally got home at 9am, slept only 3 hrs (with my phone ringing every 45 min it seemed from a variety of people, no complaining clients though thankfully) and then met with my CPA to get my taxes handled. It was somewhat warm today (30) so I washed off truck and plow and unhooked, unloaded all the bags of salt and everything else.

Fri-Sun looks interesting, a rain/snow/sleet mix and a few inches of accumulation possible. I have a family get-together 2 hrs south of home on Sunday that we do in remembrance/celebration of my Great Grandma that I hope I'll able to make it to with this storm. I'll definitely take the snow though! If temps cool off it could be another 8"! Paying cash for the Lazer Z w/ Ultravac I want may be within reach if we keep getting snow storms!!

I'd love to take a vacation but being as I'm solo with snow (aside from a friend to shovel once in a while when I'm pressed for time) I can't really go on vacation in the winter. Summer weekends are my vacation, heading to motocross races on Friday & riding Saturday & racing Sunday with my toy hauler, mini vacations basically. Definitely clears my mind after a long week!

You sent a route to your neighborhood? I'm thinking of doing that now also. Just to test the waters, I tried doorhangers in my neighborhood but they yielded nothing.

Time to relax and sleep!! 7 hrs in 2 days is not enough :sleeping:

Good thing you got through it all, and hopefully you can make it with your family. We completely missed the storm which was a bummer for me. Because my commercial lots are all paid up in full for 7 storms. This would be the 8ths storm of the year. So that all would be some fresh money in my account! I really woud like one or two more 2-3" snows. It would start off my season perfectly.

I advertise like crazy in my own neighborhood. There is around 600 homes in my neighborhood, small 1/4 acre lots. I can mow 35 in a day here and they are each around 20-25. This is huge profit for me so i chose to double or triple up my advertising each year on just the 8 streets in my neighborhood. I sent me test batch out at a completely random time in the middle of the week just to see if EDDM has a quick turnaround. BOY THEY ARE FAST!

I am bundling the rest of my 11,000 post cards right now as we speak, (taking a little break on lawnsite)

Then i am going to meet with Craig from Sod Uniforms! Talk about a classy guy with a great printing business! If anyone wants top quality garments for EXTREAMLY affordable prices visit soduniforms.com

I just ordered about 600 dollars worth of stuff from bluecotton (decent quality printing, cheap shirts) and i could have saved 200 from my online order with blue cotton if i used Sod Uniforms.

Check out there website, best of the best! So easy to design and every tool is right there for you.

I am probably going to change my uniform to all embroidered polos and olive green dickie pants to be even that more professional. I am also buying carhart jackets for all my guys(full and part time) so in the fall we dont look like a bunch of hacks with different coats on.

I am also ordering winter hats, ball caps, and nice golf polos with a white logo on them for personal use as well.

Tuffturflawncare: With regards to how much it matters when you send them out, i personally have done weekend shipments, and mid week shipments, and i think the best is Thursday. People are geting ready for planning the weekend chores, and when they see your card, they write your name down to call you over the weekend when they have free time.

JContracting
03-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I had already ordered polos and then saw SodUniform's recent posts on here last week. I ordered hi-vis green shirts with my logo on the front & back (front left), currently awaiting their arrival. I wish he did custom fleeces though. But the site is awesome and I like how you can order as many or as little as you want, most sites are a minimum order of 25 or 50 or w/e and being mostly solo I don't need that many.

And for this weekend, NWS has 1" Fri night and freezing rain, freezing rain & 1-3" of snow Saturday and 1" possible Saturday night. Should be interesting. Great for the bank account but I'm getting sick of winter, I want it to be warm!! I think it's going to be a very late spring unfortunately.

Also, I'm still waiting for my postcards to arrive. I'm working on spring renewal letters & proposals for existing clients and sending them out in the next day or so but I think I'll wait until Saturday to send them out and they'll receive them Monday rather than sending tmrw and receiving Saturday when it's raining/snowing.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-08-2013, 03:03 AM
I had already ordered polos and then saw SodUniform's recent posts on here last week. I ordered hi-vis green shirts with my logo on the front & back (front left), currently awaiting their arrival. I wish he did custom fleeces though. But the site is awesome and I like how you can order as many or as little as you want, most sites are a minimum order of 25 or 50 or w/e and being mostly solo I don't need that many.

And for this weekend, NWS has 1" Fri night and freezing rain, freezing rain & 1-3" of snow Saturday and 1" possible Saturday night. Should be interesting. Great for the bank account but I'm getting sick of winter, I want it to be warm!! I think it's going to be a very late spring unfortunately.

Also, I'm still waiting for my postcards to arrive. I'm working on spring renewal letters & proposals for existing clients and sending them out in the next day or so but I think I'll wait until Saturday to send them out and they'll receive them Monday rather than sending tmrw and receiving Saturday when it's raining/snowing.

I talked to craig, the owner of Sod IUniforms on the phone and he is a great guy. I honestly would recommend him to anyone. I am going in for a meeting with him on monday and they are going to handle everything from design, to garment selection, to embroidery with me so i can visually see what i will be buying.

Snow seems to never want to stop, i think we have a 2 week breakt though. Im predicting a huge late season snow storm in early April.

I got my Mulch Post Cards in the mail today! Talk about fast turn around! I paid for the post cards on the 28th of Feb and they are already here!

I will post a few pictures tomorrow! Just got back from the MSU VS WISCONSON GAME. What an ugly game, but glad to see bo ryan eat $hit! I hate that F u C KURR

TuffTurfLawnCare
03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Dlong, Thanks for the insite on the mailing times. I double checked the weather forecast and its supposed to be sunny fri sat and sun with temps of 40, 50, and 60, respectively. With that in mind I dropped the postcards this morning for a sat delivery. I figured with the weather changing over, people will be just venturing outside to see the work that needs done then see my post card in the mail. Hopefully it works.

BTW, I went with www.gotprint.com and I am very impressed with the speed, and quality of their product. The cards came exactly as I had designed and look very professional. I would recomend them to anyone that needs some printing done.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Dlong, Thanks for the insite on the mailing times. I double checked the weather forecast and its supposed to be sunny fri sat and sun with temps of 40, 50, and 60, respectively. With that in mind I dropped the postcards this morning for a sat delivery. I figured with the weather changing over, people will be just venturing outside to see the work that needs done then see my post card in the mail. Hopefully it works.

BTW, I went with www.gotprint.com and I am very impressed with the speed, and quality of their product. The cards came exactly as I had designed and look very professional. I would recomend them to anyone that needs some printing done.

Sounds like a good time to sort them out. I literally have 25k post cards that i have to get out in the next 3 weeks. BOXES all over my house!

How many did you order from got print, and did you design them yourself or have someone designing them for you?

TuffTurfLawnCare
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a good time to sort them out. I literally have 25k post cards that i have to get out in the next 3 weeks. BOXES all over my house!

How many did you order from got print, and did you design them yourself or have someone designing them for you?

I designed them myself and did a small run of 2500. Since I'm solo and part time, I didn't want to over do it. I am going to switch to www.gotprint.com for all my printing after seeing the quality of the post cards. Since I am laid up for a few days after a small proceedure this morning (I like sex, but don't want any more kids :laugh:) I am going to design new business cards instead of using the stock photos from vista print. Plus I wasn't to impressed with vistaprints premium cards.

JContracting
03-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Vistaprint is good for their custom ink stamps & return address labels, I don't use anything else from them. Unless it's your own design, the stock photos on there for business cards are cheesy IMO and I've seen numerous landscape contractors use them, when I see that, I see a serious lack in creativity.
I went through Gotprint 2 yrs ago for my business cards, I designed them with my logo, very cheap and very good quality. Still have a lot of them left and I need to offload them so I can refresh things with a new design.

My postcards arrived today. Bob did call me earlier this week (was partially asleep as I had gotten home from plowing about an hr before he called that morning) to let me know the printing company had a mishap and sent half of my order to another guy in NJ, and I received half of his order. The printing company will be sending us full orders and the guy who received them actually found me on here and PM'd me and we're going to arrange sending each other's, to each other, if that makes sense :laughing: My postcards look straight up amazing (and I never use that word) and am really hoping they bring in a lot of clients!!

soduniformscs
03-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone, just wanted to give my 2 cents on Direct Mail. I have been advertising my business for the last 15 years. We've spent a tremendous amount of money on the wrong forms of advertising and here's what we've boiled it down to:

Cheapest and broadest: Community news paper insert. We use a company called C&G Newspapers in Michigan. We can do 30k homes for $0.08 to $0.12 each including the cost of printing and delivery for a 8"x5.5" post card. Just about every community has a "C&G" type of newspaper.

More Refined: Direct Mail. The best price we've ever seen including print is postcardmania.com. They do a 4x6 small postcard for $0.18 - $0.25 mailed depending on quantity. The best part is, they have an amazing art department.

We don't endorse either company, but we understand the plights of advertising, so I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone,

knox gsl
03-09-2013, 12:06 AM

Have you made any progress on getting the much sales up and going? I am itching to buy a dump truck instead of a 3/4ton and if this works for you I most likely will go that way.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Have you made any progress on getting the much sales up and going? I am itching to buy a dump truck instead of a 3/4ton and if this works for you I most likely will go that way.

just finished organizing my two 5000 card batches this afternoon. To print all of the paperwork out, and sort each bundle with the corectroute with all the face slips, it took me a little over 3 hours of tedious work.

i havent touched on the mulch advertising yet because there is still snow on the ground. i am going to first do two batches of lawn care advertisments, then the third will be a mulch advertisment.

My estimated delivery date for the mulch cards are going to be April 5th. Maybe thats even too early. Mulch applications doing happen until April 20th or later here because its so wet and the mulch just fades fast.

jcontracting: I am going to be using gotprint for my employees business cards. I want to start being more proactive with my employees to extend my business to their network. I want to limit my employees doing "side work" for their neighbors and friends, and try to compensate them for landing the company jobs and not themselves. Do you know how much 500 cards are? have you put an image of your cards up on here yet? im excited to see them. I love the way mine look as well, and love the mulch ones even more.

This isnt a big issue for us at all, but i know my guys help out neighbors and such, but i highly doubt the neighbors know that my employees work for a full service and installation company.

Printing with gotprint was cheaper than bob at plan it graphics because bob can do the bundling services as well. If i didnt need a designer and bundling service i would have used Gotprint. Also, the shipping from got print would have been over 300 dollars if i ordered 20k post cards from them as well, which i thought was way overpriced.

JContracting
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Here is my postcard.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/20130309_164654_zpsa710b865.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/20130309_164620_zpse3efb87b.jpg

It's been raining all day here! Can't wait for the snow to melt!! We may get 1"of snow overnight though as the forecast stands. I did get some more renewal letters & proposals sent in the mail today also. Working on a picture for the about section of my site. Then continuing on proposals for existing clients (to get them to go full service, for the ones that weren't last year or only had a fall clean up done). I also have one proposal to get done by Wed, a decent sized one, church and church & cemetary 3.5 acre & 2.5 acre site - mowing, clean ups, and 2 fert/weed control apps.

KS_Grasscutter
03-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Had 1400 go out Wednesday and only have gotten ONE call. Kinda disappointing. Gonna try again with another 1600 next week. Hopefully calls start coming in now that the weather is warming up and things are turning green again. Inch of rain today along with a high of 60 is helping!

DUSTYCEDAR
03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
wow lots of info thanks guys
i want to wrap a few box trucks and
leave them on main roads and in traffic at rush hour.

xclusive
03-09-2013, 09:14 PM
I like what bob did, but I think the full package price point is too high and will scare people off. There is just too many services in there and I think people might think it is over kill. A less comprehensive package with a lower price point would be more appealing to a potential customer with the option to add more services. Just my opinion.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 10:41 PM
I like what bob did, but I think the full package price point is too high and will scare people off. There is just too many services in there and I think people might think it is over kill. A less comprehensive package with a lower price point would be more appealing to a potential customer with the option to add more services. Just my opinion.

i kind of agree with this, but depending on demographics, this could be very affordable to some people. Some of my contracts for full maintenance are on upwards of 500-600 per month all 12 months for everything for their property.

215 is, i think, a good starting point, but i would involve less blanketed services for next time.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Had 1400 go out Wednesday and only have gotten ONE call. Kinda disappointing. Gonna try again with another 1600 next week. Hopefully calls start coming in now that the weather is warming up and things are turning green again. Inch of rain today along with a high of 60 is helping!

i sent my test batch out and didnt get too many calls, but there is still snow on the ground. Im not too worried becasue i just organized my 10k postcard batch tonight, that should yield some calls.

I am kinda switching what i am going to do advertising wise around(how they are going to get to homes)

I am starting to be cheap with my money(which is how i always should be) but i am sick of spending hundreds on EDDM. So far to date i have spent 1200 dollars at the post office in the last 3 weeks. Now with my 10,000 fliers going out, its going to be an additional 1600 dollars ish.

I was going to EDDM another 10k but i think i am going to pass them out by hand with the neighborhood kids and my gf's brothers hockey team.

Save some money, and give the kids some slurpee money. :)

Advertising is damn expensive, especailly when im ordering new signs for my trailers, painting everything up, doing equipment maintenance, and ordering new uniforms for everyone.

I cant wait to make some money!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Here is my postcard.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/20130309_164654_zpsa710b865.jpg
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/20130309_164620_zpse3efb87b.jpg

It's been raining all day here! Can't wait for the snow to melt!! We may get 1"of snow overnight though as the forecast stands. I did get some more renewal letters & proposals sent in the mail today also. Working on a picture for the about section of my site. Then continuing on proposals for existing clients (to get them to go full service, for the ones that weren't last year or only had a fall clean up done). I also have one proposal to get done by Wed, a decent sized one, church and church & cemetary 3.5 acre & 2.5 acre site - mowing, clean ups, and 2 fert/weed control apps.

Jcontracting, did you do the belgard fireplace kit? that looks very familiar to someone else's work on here , i cant put a name to it, but i think ive seen that on here. Looks nice though

xclusive
03-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Jcontracting, did you do the belgard fireplace kit? that looks very familiar to someone else's work on here , i cant put a name to it, but i think ive seen that on here. Looks nice though

No that picture is from one of the manufactures websites or brochures.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-09-2013, 11:14 PM
No that picture is from one of the manufactures websites or brochures.

thats where i saw it!

At my supplier they have these thing pre-built, on 6 pallets. All you have to do it make a 3 foot deep footer and pad to put these on and they are bolt/mortar together.

something like 6k for the whole kit.

JContracting
03-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah that's out of the Belgard catalog, my teacher that owns a good sized high end install company knew it right away when I showed him the proofs of my cards. I wish I built that! My goal for this year is to do at least 1 waterfall and one outdoor fireplace.

phillie
03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Did they let you use the pics?

JContracting
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Bob @ Plan-It had on another postcard and I saw it and I wanted it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:32 AM
well, trading off hours between marketing homework, and actual marketing i was able to send out 250 personalized spring letters to current customers we service. Everyone we serviced in the last 18 months (mulch jobs, one time hedging jobs, spring clean ups, regular maintenance customers, one time mowing customers, snow removal customers, and landscape installs) . I have never done this type of thing, nor had the time to do it, but today i sat in my office all day, and studies and typed these things up. I used some of the lingo from another thread on here but they pretty much said hey its spring, were offering some new services, as well as some great offers. Call today, yada yada... All of the regular customers got a letter telling them what day of the week they are going to be serviced this year and also included in the envelope was a pre-paid 4x6 post card that had a survey style questionaire as to what services they may want this year, and a spot for their email address which was manditory for continueing service with us. I am going to be doing all "e-billing" straight from quickbooks each month for my regular customers. No more spending a whole day printing out invoices, labeling them, licking them, paying for postage, paying for gas to go to the post office, envelopes, paying for ink, and on and on.....I was averaging about 300-450 invoices per month last year and it was costing me right around 350 dollars per month go get them all out.

THATS A Fockin TRUCK PAYMENT!!!! Enoughs enough, i would rather loose a customer or two than be spending that kind of money on stupid paper and billings.

Also, i got my 10k post card mailing ready togo, which was as tedious as it gets. Took me about 3 1/2 hours to label and sort everything, but i got it done. They are going to be going out 5 days later than original.

Here are some stacks for you..... keep in mind, this is 1/5 of my entire post card advertising campaign!!!! Im dumping way to much money into this, i hope it really pays off.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:39 AM
For any of you northerners that love snow. I will post some pictures now of my hobby in the winter for my little brother and the neighborhood kids. Which ables me to use my toys all year round!!!!

One of me and the gf, the snow maker in action, the kids all having fun, the house on christmas(we were on the news with the only snow in South East Michigan with snow)

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Pics wont upload, give me a sec

JContracting
03-12-2013, 01:52 AM
I have also been slowly printing letters & proposals to every client we did anything for last year. It just takes so much frickin time to print the letter (mine have the client's name on them (dear xxxx), personally sign it, fold, get into envelope, peel adhesive sticker (no licking for me lol), it all adds up. I also see what you mean with invoicing taking forever. It's a pita. I'd push hard for email only but with my mac, QuickBooks uses the Mac's email which I don't use, I use my website's email obviously so it gets kinda messed up if I email invoices, I have to save the invoice as a pdf, then upload it as an attachment, then send. I usually delete it off my computer after sending so they don't take up too much room.
I think if I get near the point you're at with 200+ invoices a month, ill buy a windows or mac desktop, buy another copy of QuickBooks (if required), and after about 3, or 4 months it will have paid for itself with the time & expense of postage & envelopes.
Who did your custom envelopes & biz cards?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:53 AM
Here are some more pictures

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:54 AM
and some more

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Some more pictures. I love snow making!!!!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 01:59 AM
John Deere Fixing John Deere(the groomers)

Only house in Michigan with snow on Christmas!

JContracting
03-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Screw snow, I'd much rather see a thermometer that shows 95 degrees!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
8 foot snow whale!!!! John Deere got Stuck! Me and my baby!

TuffTurfLawnCare
03-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Those pics are great! A few friends and I put on a rail jam in down town Pittsburgh a couple years ago. we have ties to a local ski resort so we got our hands on a Techno-Alpin M18 snow fan (the kind used on ski slopes, mounted it to a trailer and hooked it up to a fire hydrant.

We had a foot of snow and two skid steers moving it. built two ramps out of scaffolding and had an awesome show. it.was the only snow in the area. good times.for sure!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Thats pretty awesome. I am actually in with a couple of DPW guys in my city and we were talking about how much fun it would be for kids in the area to coat one of the hills in a park with about 5 feet of snow, after they saw my front yard on the news. I offered my 4 snow makers if they could get the City to allow us to use a fire hydrant and a tow behind air compressor for two nights, which is all it would take. Give me 10 degree temp, and 40 gpm 115psi water, 8 cfm @ 100 psi and im good to go. It would cost about $200 dollars in water, $80 in diesel, and thats about it.

I would be maintaining it(since its across the street from my house). They would take care of all the legalities.

JContracting
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Btw, over here in MN we have two chances for accumulating snow in the next week, 2-5" Friday night and 5-10" Sun/Mon. We won't be seeing turf for a while unfortunately. I'll take the easy money but I want warm weather!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Btw, over here in MN we have two chances for accumulating snow in the next week, 2-5" Friday night and 5-10" Sun/Mon. We won't be seeing turf for a while unfortunately. I'll take the easy money but I want warm weather!

i personally think! The longer winter is, the more people want to spend upfront for spring to get everything look great right away! Ill come and help you, id like to push some more snow! I just sent my 13k dollar commercial bill as the end of year bill for one of my biggest lots. Contract ends April 15th, i dont think he will have a problem paying it now though.

TuffTurfLawnCare
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
That would be awesome! we had to rent a towbehind diesel water pump to up the pressure of the hydrant. line pressure wasn't enough, but the M18 has an onboard compressor and weather station. It would adjust itself to the conditions by its self. IIRC they run over $100k/ each.

it worked wonderfully.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
03-12-2013, 03:56 PM
i personally think! The longer winter is, the more people want to spend upfront for spring to get everything look great right away! Ill come and help you, id like to push some more snow! I just sent my 13k dollar commercial bill as the end of year bill for one of my biggest lots. Contract ends April 15th, i dont think he will have a problem paying it now though.

You do have a point with that! Never thought of it that way. As long as we have a rapid warm up after these storms then people will be wanting everything to get done as soon as possible.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
You do have a point with that! Never thought of it that way. As long as we have a rapid warm up after these storms then people will be wanting everything to get done as soon as possible.

exactly. There is no snow on the ground here, besides my backyard :), but its still under 40 degrees and freezing pretty solid every night

ryde307
03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
EDDM update. We have not done any as of now but I did stop at the local post office today to ask some questions.

If doing EDDM I highly suggest stopping at your PO first and asking questions because I got differnt answers than expected.

We work alot in a zip code 55331 it covers 5 smaller cities. 1 post office. Stopped there talked with them for a bit. They do not do any of there own mailing from there it all goes to the city over where not only the 5 cities from 55331 go but also the 3 other bigger cities and zip codes next to them.

So that actually made my life easier one place to go not 4. So I called them to get answers. They said they can not recieve money at that location so I need to goto the Chanhassen or 55317 PO drop everything there. No problem it's 1/4 mile from my house. So I can hit 8 cities or 4 zipcodes by going to one PO.

Next thing was how many per bundle 50 or 100. He said whatever works for you. Also said he didn't care if it was the whole route in one bundle but the receiving PO may so stick with 100.

Next was do I need a route cover sheet on each bundle or just the top of the whole route. he said the whole route is it. No reason to waste paper and make it more confusing.

Point is I would check with your specific PO to make sure you get it right and don't do extra work.

JContracting
03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Have you selected your routes online yet, ryde? When I selected mine it showed which post office I had to bring the postcards to.
Posted via Mobile Device

ryde307
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I have looked through them I knew which offices handled which routes but did not realize there was a central hub for my area that handled all the post offices. Originally I thought I would have to goto 4 PO to get the routes I was after. Now I only need to goto 1 and only deal with 1 way of doing things.

ryde307
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Side note I have not had anything even printed I am not even sure we will do EDDM but wanted to explore my options. with EDDM i have maybe 8 specific routes I would be interested in sending 2-3 mailings to so around 10,000 pieces total. I also have a 650 commercial building contact list as well as another 100 property contacts I have collected. Trying to decide what to mail to whom.

On that topic some good advice is to keep track of any commercial contact you ever get. They are hard to come by and a data base of what business, who is the contact, there ph# and email and any other info you can remember is a good thing to save.

JContracting
03-13-2013, 11:32 PM
An update, Spring Green Lawn Care had sent out advertising letters. Rec'd one at my house today. RRight as we have 3 snow storms between now & Monday. Poor timing
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-14-2013, 04:40 AM
An update, Spring Green Lawn Care had sent out advertising letters. Rec'd one at my house today. RRight as we have 3 snow storms between now & Monday. Poor timing
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm delaying mine another week I think... It's been colder here than the whole month of feb. and it's supposed to be cold for another week. Lows in the upper teens ... I'm not gonna send mine out until it hits 55-60 degrees

grandview (2006)
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Got my estimate today from the printer. 11k postcards,postage,them doing all the work getting them ready for the post office. 3300.00 or 30 cents each.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Got my estimate today from the printer. 11k postcards,postage,them doing all the work getting them ready for the post office. 3300.00 or 30 cents each.

if you want to save some money, do the EDDM route and do the leg work yourself. You will save about 770 dollars doing it yourself.

grandview (2006)
03-14-2013, 09:30 PM
if you want to save some money, do the EDDM route and do the leg work yourself. You will save about 770 dollars doing it yourself.

I might have to ,for the amount saved I could do another 5k in cards.

underESTIMATED
03-14-2013, 10:14 PM

I might have to ,for the amount saved I could do another 5k in cards.

I have a 15k piece order for $1k shipped to my door sorted in 100ct bundles. $900 is the postcard/bundle price.

Want their info?

grandview (2006)
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I have a 15k piece order for $1k shipped to my door sorted in 100ct bundles. $900 is the postcard/bundle price.

Want their info?

783.00 for 11k
postage 1728.00

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 02:05 AM

Want their info?

who did you use, i got 15k shipped for 1200 which included the design fee of 150. So pretty similar cost, but just wondering.

Grandview, you gotta do EDDM, i got quoted for 8k post cards the same price i send out 15k post cards. So i ordered another 10k to hand out by hand.

So 8k vs 25k....25k hopefully should yield triple the calls.

JContracting
03-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Since this thread is kinda off topic already, I was talking to another contractor earlier today after the snowstorm about bidding for landscape maint & he mentioned that maintenance prices for commercial are at $22-$25/man hr. He had said (taken with a grain of salt) he bid with a property management company at $25/man hr and didn't land anything. How can you possibly profit at prices like that?! If that's the actual truth, I've definitely been a little bummed through today since hearing that. I always try to think abundance not scarcity (E-Myth Quote) but man that's ridiculous.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Since this thread is kinda off topic already, I was talking to another contractor earlier today after the snowstorm about bidding for landscape maint & he mentioned that maintenance prices for commercial are at $22-$25/man hr. He had said (taken with a grain of salt) he bid with a property management company at $25/man hr and didn't land anything. How can you possibly profit at prices like that?! If that's the actual truth, I've definitely been a little bummed through today since hearing that. I always try to think abundance not scarcity (E-Myth Quote) but man that's ridiculous.
Posted via Mobile Device

I highly doubt professional property management companies are going to hire anyone by blanketing a man hour price on anything. They want to know exactly, price per job, how much its going to cost.

My smaller home association i take care of (265 homes) has 9 common's area's(about 100 feet long x 6 feet wide) on both sides of the street and then 50ft long by 4 feet wide between the two streets at each area. 3 large parcels of land along a river and pond(about 12 acres total) and then a couple of cul de sacks (<spelling?).....If i quoted 25 per man hour, it takes up a little over 7 hours to do everything with 2 guys. thats 14 man hoursx 25 dollars per hour=$350 dollars. This would be a little more than 1/3rd what we charge. The account pays $895 per week, We mow 11 lawns in the neighborhood here which fills up the entire day there. My total day gross is around 1300 dollars, and it cots a little under 35 dollars in fuel, and 200 dollars in labor. Not to shabby, but if it was 25 per hour , i would run for the hills. Maybe if you have a 5 man crew, charging 125 per hour for just mowing, MAYBE.

But not for a 2 man crew. And FOR SURE not a 1 man crew

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I highly doubt professional property management companies are going to hire anyone by blanketing a man hour price on anything. They want to know exactly, price per job, how much its going to cost.

My smaller home association i take care of (265 homes) has 9 common's area's(about 100 feet long x 6 feet wide) on both sides of the street and then 50ft long by 4 feet wide between the two streets at each area. 3 large parcels of land along a river and pond(about 12 acres total) and then a couple of cul de sacks (<spelling?).....If i quoted 25 per man hour, it takes up a little over 7 hours to do everything with 2 guys. thats 14 man hoursx 25 dollars per hour=$350 dollars. This would be a little more than 1/3rd what we charge. The account pays $895 per week, We mow 11 lawns in the neighborhood here which fills up the entire day there. My total day gross is around 1300 dollars, and it cots a little under 35 dollars in fuel, and 200 dollars in labor. Not to shabby, but if it was 25 per hour , i would run for the hills. Maybe if you have a 5 man crew, charging 125 per hour for just mowing, MAYBE.

But not for a 2 man crew. And FOR SURE not a 1 man crew

If i had this set up each day for my crew, i would be sitting on my ass, letting a accountant take care of the numbers, a receptionist answer the phones and schedule jobs, and let the crew work for 5k profit per week, but this is definitly my best day of the week! Now i need to figure out a way to get 5 days full of this type of work.!

grandview (2006)
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Looks like I'm going to do my own sorting of the routes,Went to the Post Office website and printed out the route slips. Now I just have to bundle them when they come in.

turf hokie
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Looks like I'm going to do my own sorting of the routes,Went to the Post Office website and printed out the route slips. Now I just have to bundle them when they come in.

That's your best bet. You control it much better. You can delay if weather turns etc. the bundling does not take long that long. I did 20,000 while watching a couple of games over 1 weekend.

Sent my 1st 5000 out. Not a great response so far. My cards landed 4 days before the competition started rolling theirs out. Going to start sending the rest out in batches of 3000 as soon as the predicted rain passes on Tuesday.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2013, 02:24 AM
That's your best bet. You control it much better. You can delay if weather turns etc. the bundling does not take long that long. I did 20,000 while watching a couple of games over 1 weekend.

Sent my 1st 5000 out. Not a great response so far. My cards landed 4 days before the competition started rolling theirs out. Going to start sending the rest out in batches of 3000 as soon as the predicted rain passes on Tuesday.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

i agree. I sent my first batch out about a week ago and havent seen really any return on it, besides a couple new landscape installs and brick paver jobs from present customers that will keep us busy for the money of april if it ever stops snowing.... The rest of them should have been out today, but its snowing as of right now.... ugghhhh

JContracting
03-17-2013, 12:14 AM
We have one more storm coming tmrw. Then cold (below freezing) until next Saturday & it will warm up a little bit. I'm over winter! Plowing for 12+ hr stretches on only a couple hrs of sleep is getting to be old, 10 hr days m-f sound & warm weather sound much more appealing :D! I haven't had one response from existing clients I sent letters to.
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
03-17-2013, 03:19 AM
Mid to upper 80s here the past couple days, supposed to maybe get cold in the first part of next week though with daytime highs only in the upper 60s to low 70s... bbbrrrrrrr ;)

JContracting
03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
This day last year it was 80 degrees here!!!! I remember it exactly, my friends and I were driving home from FL and I drove the final leg from S WI home and heading NW & W I was sitting in the sun driving just cooking because of the strong, warm sun and we had the a/c on. Man to have that now... 15 degrees now and sunny with a snow storm coming our way tonight through tomorrow afternoon and then 30 mph winds and below zero wind chills. And to think a week and a half ago, I was maybe going to get my postcards out during this week!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-17-2013, 09:13 PM
J contracting.... Are you getting at all nervous how late it is getting? It's almost Easter and still haven't sent out my bulk post cards. With Temps not going to be over 40 degrees for another week, I am debating just getting them out this week if we get a day with out any clouds.

How are you dealing with more snow? We just got 2" of snow again a couple hugs ago and I threw the towel in on plowing the residential. And just did my commercial lots. A good paycheck if I can get everyone to pay by the end of the month!

I am planning to maybe do another eddm mail out mid April to get all the late customers... we aren't hurting for landscape jobs (4-$25k jobs landed in the last week) but the mowing I'm nervous about.

I'd really like to secure two full time guys for the entire year, and make sure I don't have to worry about missing class to work in the fall. Gotta get serious about school (at leased as serious as this business) and start planning my future ten years down the road.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
15k jobs, not 25k jobs! I only wish!!!

JContracting
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Yes, very nervous, especially that I haven't heard anything from my letters, not happy about that!

We have plenty of room for piling snow, at least at the comm's as we had a few warm days that melted a lot of snow, piles are pretty big though and are solid ice. Resis are pretty bad if they don't face south or west through.
Whyd you skip your resis? That's easy revenue. I'm going to push hard on resis next year, with tight routes, the profits are huge with less destruction to trucks than on comm's.

Watching the weather right now, blowing snow with 30-40mph winds tmrw afternoon after the snow ends, yay. And a high of 19 with a lows below zero on Wednesday, the first day of spring. Above freezing by Saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
03-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Finally received some renewals for the year, primarily fert/weed control packages and one client signing up for fert/weed control, 2 aerations & fall clean up. I brought 1 route of postcards to the post office today just to test the waters and see if I get any response, the process is very simple!!!! I just have the facing slip for each route in each bundle so if they get separated, it will still go out. They'll get to the properties tomorrow. We've had temps in the 40s the past couple days with sun, mid 50s tmrw and high 50s & rain Sat and then a cool down sun-tues but back to the 40s, maybe we'll get started the week of the 8th like I originally planned, depends on soil temps.
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/20130328_145610_zpsec5ca52d.jpg

HHlandscaping
03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Let us know how you make out. I went a few routes out a couple weeks ago got only 2 calls gave a estimate on a patio for about $4500 but didn't close yet.

Are you trying A lot of different routes or the same ones several times ???

JContracting
03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm undecided on what ill do. I chose the route I did because I have some old neighbors that bought a house in this route because my dad had ran into them at the grocery store a couple months ago and my name & company got brought up and the rest is history. They live in my target market so it should work great. And I have a few other routes I'd like to hit, I have about 5 or so that are around 500-800 houses on each that are my target market, it depends on the response I get.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
subbing..........

KG26
04-01-2013, 03:52 PM

I did a small test market haven't heard a word. It was only about an $100 total investment. I'm glad I didn't go all in like some guys on here.

CreativeLawncareSolutions
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I did a small test market haven't heard a word. It was only about an $100 total investment. I'm glad I didn't go all in like some guys on here.

It's still too early. People wait til the last minute.

KG26
04-01-2013, 04:01 PM
i kind of agree with this, but depending on demographics, this could be very affordable to some people. Some of my contracts for full maintenance are on upwards of 500-600 per month all 12 months for everything for their property.

215 is, i think, a good starting point, but i would involve less blanketed services for next time.

what are you doing for $500-$600/month?

KG26
04-01-2013, 04:06 PM
It's still too early. People wait til the last minute.

well for a 20% discount you figure people would at least call to get the estimate to get the price break.

grandview (2006)
04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Just finished up bundling the odds of each route. Spend the weekend bundling the first drop in bundles of 100's 4900 going out tomorrow.

04-01-2013, 04:34 PM
well for a 20% discount you figure people would at least call to get the estimate to get the price break.

I doubt they even read the thing once they recognized it was for lawn care. There was still snow on the ground. It has been freezing almost everywhere. I feel bad for all the guys who sent them out too early. Lot of wasted money.

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I just dropped off my smallest batch today. It was 65 degrees out hopefully tomorrow is like this too! We will see how it works out soon enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

KG26
04-01-2013, 05:01 PM
I doubt they even read the thing once they recognized it was for lawn care. There was still snow on the ground. It has been freezing almost everywhere. I feel bad for all the guys who sent them out too early. Lot of wasted money.

well the good thing is I can afford to re up in the coming weeks if I was too early. I hear you though some people bought 11k now whether or not they sent them all at the same time or not is the real question.

grandview (2006)
04-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Sent the first batch to the post office today5k should be in the mailboxes Wed/Thur.

KrayzKajun
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
What size cards did yall send? My first round was the cards i designed in 6.5x9.

This next batch will be the new card geared towards piking upblawn acccnts that Bob @ Plan-itgraphics did. He said the 6x8 cards are the most popular size. Is the 6x8 card ok for EDDM?
Posted via Mobile Device

ryde307
04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
On most printers sites it does not say it is. However on the USPS site it says 6.5x9 is not right but they work either unless I misunderstood. I would call the PO you will be sending and see what they say. It seems most have different rules than what is out there.

ryde307
04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Correction on got print it says an 8x6.5 is acceptable.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-03-2013, 01:26 PM
im glad thisthread is stillgoing. I have had an enourmous amount of call backs from my flier. Almost triple the calls so far from last year. And its still 30 degrees and cold out. Wehave started landscaping/paver jobs with the guys putting in their first 55 hour week. I thank it all to EDDM!

I plan on sending my mulch cards (all 10k of them) on friday this week. Can wait to go pick up my new truck too. 08 f-250 6.4l diesel supercab.

KS_Grasscutter
04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear they worked out good for you!

KrayzKajun
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Im giving the go ahead to print me 5k of the new card geared towards mowing. Cant wait to send them out
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Im giving the go ahead to print me 5k of the new card geared towards mowing. Cant wait to send them out
Posted via Mobile Device

How many total have you sent out already. I've reached my advertising budget once I send the next 10,000 out.

grandview (2006)
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Guess some of my cards made to the mailbox today. Got my 1st call,est.for some trimming and mulching.

grandview (2006)
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Check that last post. Got a request also from my website about the postcards for an aeration,sold and booked it. Google Earth is nice.

JContracting
04-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Had 1 call off my first 545 postcards, called today & met with with A guy that has a retaining wall that is bowing out, he's cheap & wants to reuse the block but if they're now glued, thst may be possible. Hopefully we can land it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Had 1 call off my first 545 postcards, called today & met with with A guy that has a retaining wall that is bowing out, he's cheap & wants to reuse the block but if they're now glued, thst may be possible. Hopefully we can land it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate those jobs, always seems to be a cheap asz trying to get his failing wall fixed, for cheap! Again! .... Exactly why it prob failed in the first place. He went with the biggest hack he could find to do it for the cheapest! Give him your price to build it with a large profit. If he says no, walk away!

JContracting
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
He's the 2nd owner. I know exactly what happened without even asking him. Its about a 8-10 yr old house, the developer had his own crew build it, or a landscape contractor for as cheap as possible (most likely), or possibly the previous homeowner did it themselves (or hired an idiot) but there are two tiers with steps so that is very unlikely as it's complex for a homeowner and/or half the industry because they have no idea how to build walls correctly, but the fact of the matter is that there wasn't nearly enough base.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
04-03-2013, 09:36 PM
How many total have you sent out already. I've reached my advertising budget once I send the next 10,000 out.

I sent out around 3500 or so. That was back first week of Feb. still getting calls from that batch. This next 5k will be geared all towards piking up mowing accnts.
Posted via Mobile Device

04-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Glad it's working well for you guys. I'm in the process of getting out all my door hangers. My legs are tired.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Well, I sent out 8200 6.5 by 11 mailers this morning!
I hope I am making a good decision with this marketing plan for the year. I really would like a good response from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
04-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Ill most likely not do door hangers again. Way too much leg work! And takes too long. But ill be sending out a couple more routes of 1000 or so postcards tmrw that will arrive Friday in mailboxes. I have 7500 left as of right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

KS_Grasscutter
04-03-2013, 11:06 PM
I emailed Bob @ Plan-It to get another 2500. Gonna try and pass out about 500 leftover door hangers here in the next few days as well.

EquityGreen
04-04-2013, 01:00 AM
I sent out 32k the other day and my phone has been going crazy all day. I want it to keep ringing we have a few smaller towns around and would like to target those as well. What would be the best time to send more you think? I have another 48k 11.5*8 sized cards with 8 different offers. The majority of people are calling for power raking and spring aeration which is fine. But I want fert app accounts. So far so good. I sold 6.5k worth of sales today which is decent for me, I havent sold that much since I worked for another national lawn company.

JContracting
04-04-2013, 01:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it has been extremely warm in Sioux Falls as compared to here in the Twin Cities metro, correct? We're struggling to get out of the 40s :mad:
How much did 80k postcards cost to have design, printed, & bundled? Care to share what they look like, possibly via a PM?

dnc19694339
04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow, sounds like around $20k to print and mail. Just guessing at .25 each.

Thats a healthy ad budget. Do you answer phone and estimate by yourself or you have help?

THEGOLDPRO
04-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Got mine in today, got em all sorted out and are dropping them off to be mailed out tomorrow.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/thegoldpro/card_zps5ff91e6c.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/thegoldpro/0405131251a_zpsc2baf90c.jpg

JContracting
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Goldpro, are you doing eddm? Also, how many, 3 boxes only look like 3k postcards?
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
It is 3000 cards, I didn't wanna have 10,000 cards made up until i saw that it worked. this is basically a small test run.

KrayzKajun
04-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I ordered 5k cards yesterday of the new design bob made for me. I also opted to have them bundled. That way i can send them out as soon as they come in. I have 2500 of my design i made going out on Mon.
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
04-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Care to share yours kajun?
Posted via Mobile Device

dnc19694339
04-05-2013, 10:19 PM
It is 3000 cards, I didn't wanna have 10,000 cards made up until i saw that it worked. this is basically a small test run.

How big are those? they look huge!

KrayzKajun
04-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Care to share yours kajun?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure. Here is the ones i ordered from bob. It has my new logo too.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/1387A3E1-3F18-45E3-9A41-91EE5E228F55-1334-000001638373E595.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
04-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Mine are 6x11 in size.

Mike Blevins
04-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I did a EDDM with 6000 pieces. 6x9 postcards with the "high gloss" print around three weeks ago. So far 6 calls. Very disappointed in the results so far. Hand picked the neighborhoods and everything. Maybe it will pick up.

dnc19694339
04-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Krayzee, them some nice looking cards. I might have to have Bob do some for me!

JContracting
04-05-2013, 10:45 PM
What's your location Mike Blevins?
Posted via Mobile Device

dnc19694339
04-05-2013, 10:54 PM
I did a EDDM with 6000 pieces. 6x9 postcards with the "high gloss" print around three weeks ago. So far 6 calls. Very disappointed in the results so far. Hand picked the neighborhoods and everything. Maybe it will pick up.

Could be a lot of things

Hows was the weather when you sent them out?
What is the headline?
What is the offer?
Does the offer show a real benefit for the customer?
Hand picked? Does that mean they all can afford your service?

Just trying to help

xclusive
04-05-2013, 11:29 PM
I did eddm last year with less mailers and received more calls than this year with more mailers. Timing is everything. Here in NJ our weather was all screwed up and now that its getting nice many people are already signed with their previous provider so the calls aren't like they were last year.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I sent my cards out when it was 30 degrees and snowing. I got 35 called and emails the first two weeks,and as the weather gets warmer i am getting more and more calls. I am still delaying my mulch cards to go out, because its not "nice" out, YET! Its been 40s and 50s during the day and low 30's and high 20's at night. I have gotten about 10 new lawn clients, and about 15-20 landscape installed lined up, and then about 4 full landscape tearouts, brick pavers, irrigation and landscaping as well.

I was actually hoping to get more lawn accounts from this advertisement, but one landscape job pretty much pays as much as 4 lawn customers over the year. Just gotta save save save! so i can continue my advertising throughout the year.

KrayzKajun
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
I was actually hoping to get more lawn accounts from this advertisement, but one landscape job pretty much pays as much as 4 lawn customers over the year. Just gotta save save save! so i can continue my advertising throughout the year.[/QUOTE]

Same here. If i land 3 of the 5 jobs i pricig this morning, i see a used Mini skid purchase real soon in my future.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
I sent my cards out when it was 30 degrees and snowing. I got 35 called and emails the first two weeks,and as the weather gets warmer i am getting more and more calls. I am still delaying my mulch cards to go out, because its not "nice" out, YET! Its been 40s and 50s during the day and low 30's and high 20's at night. I have gotten about 10 new lawn clients, and about 15-20 landscape installed lined up, and then about 4 full landscape tearouts, brick pavers, irrigation and landscaping as well.

I was actually hoping to get more lawn accounts from this advertisement, but one landscape job pretty much pays as much as 4 lawn customers over the year. Just gotta save save save! so i can continue my advertising throughout the year.

What promos you running in your postcards?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 11:26 PM
What promos you running in your postcards?

one free lawn mowing with a contract. Thats it!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 11:39 PM

Same here. If i land 3 of the 5 jobs i pricig this morning, i see a used Mini skid purchase real soon in my future.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

With all the business you are generating, why not try to do it with the equipment you already have? You have a tractor and a skid. Why buy another piece of equipment? Save the 6-10k you would spend on that, and invest in some retirement!

JContracting
04-07-2013, 01:33 AM
one free lawn mowing with a contract. Thats it!

You should post up an image of your postcard.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
From when your cards went to print, how long did it take to get them from bob?
Posted via Mobile Device

JContracting
04-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Certainly glad I never emailed any out besides the first 545!!!! 8-17" of snow coming our way starting late tonight! This should be fun...

Greener Grounds NC
04-09-2013, 10:54 PM
so actually hwat is your response rate percent dlong?

Gold Leaf Lawnscapes
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
About 5 days for mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-09-2013, 11:47 PM
So here's a question for you guys who have done eddm.
I mailed out 8200 pieces last wed. I have gotten some calls which is great. The question is how long will people cal for?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
So here's a question for you guys who have done eddm.
I mailed out 8200 pieces last wed. I have gotten some calls which is great. The question is how long will people cal for?
Posted via Mobile Device

i sent out my cards around March 20th. I am still getting calls, about 3-4 per day.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-10-2013, 12:44 AM
From when your cards went to print, how long did it take to get them from bob?
Posted via Mobile Device

about 10 days. I wish it was quicker.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-10-2013, 12:47 AM
For j contracting. here are my post cards this season. I am going to be ordering some brick paver cards as well in august to keep us busy all season. Then go heavy again for fall clean ups and snow removal.

Re-newed all of my commercial snow accounts last year. As well as added one of the biggest parking structures and apartment complexes in my imediate city.

This years going to be insanely busy. Hopefully i can keep 4 guys busy the entire year.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-10-2013, 12:48 AM
these werent the finals. I cant find the finals anywhere, but the turquoisish green is matches my logo and the blues look better.

KrayzKajun
04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Nice cards. Mine will be here friday and go out on monday. Woohoo. It nice being able to have work booked out for 2weeks in advance. Just need to grow the mowing accnts now.
Posted via Mobile Device

KG26
04-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Very disappointed with my EDDM performance right now craigslist is out preforming my EDDM and its free.

KrayzKajun
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Got my cards in. First batch going out monday.
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/DE8D0CF1-0CA3-4916-A3B9-94FA0FF4CB5D-3438-0000030DC5E8E859.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Got my cards in. First batch going out monday.
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/DE8D0CF1-0CA3-4916-A3B9-94FA0FF4CB5D-3438-0000030DC5E8E859.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

That was extreamly quick! How much advertising a year have you put out so far?

I have my mulch cards going out this week sometime. Supposed to be 80 degrees!

Efficiency
04-13-2013, 09:37 AM
if I got an ad from "one krazy kajun" I would pitch it immediately as I would think this is a small, unstable hilljack.

Before you go too far, i'd strongly consider a professional business name. Your ads look great but create a disconnect with your co. name.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
04-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Efficiency,
Not for nothing but I think your coming on a little strong with you opinion on Kajuns marketing/company name. Over the years I have seen plenty of names I would not choose do very well in business. Kajun seems to have a pretty good business going for himself.
Good luck to all this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
04-14-2013, 12:19 AM
if I got an ad from "one krazy kajun" I would pitch it immediately as I would think this is a small, unstable hilljack.

Before you go too far, i'd strongly consider a professional business name. Your ads look great but create a disconnect with your co. name.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well being my company is located in the deep south of Cajun Country of Louisiana, the name stands out. ive been in business for 8yrs now and am making a very nice living, growing a very substantial clientele base. from residentials to commercial/industrial customers including Union Pacific Rail road and numerous Commercial real estate developers. if you mention Krayz Kajun or One Krayzee Kajun enterprises around where i live, every one knows who you are talking about.

newz7151
04-14-2013, 01:26 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

... says the person with THAT for an avatar..

ProMowLawnCare
04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
No it was 14.5 cents prior to the rate increase.
It went from 14 to 14.5 to 16

recycledsole
09-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Hey guys,
I want to make an EDDM flyer run. I am wondering if anyone can create an updated list of necessary steps? do you have to put a piece of paper on EVERY 50ct bundle?
thanks so much I really appreciate it.

is this still relevant?

thanks so much for your help.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
09-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey guys,
I want to make an EDDM flyer run. I am wondering if anyone can create an updated list of necessary steps? do you have to put a piece of paper on EVERY 50ct bundle?
thanks so much I really appreciate it.

is this still relevant?

thanks so much for your help.

Yes this was posted less than 6 month ago and nothing has changed. I have found that different post offices like to do it differently but for the most part it is all the same. Let me know if you have any questions. I just did another mailer of 5k for fall clean ups and snow removal and already after less than a week have about .25% ROI.
Posted via Mobile Device

recycledsole
09-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Ok sweet, thanks for responding. I went to my post office about a year ago, and it was the same, no one there knew and they had to look it up on the computer.
Just my main question is do I need a piece of paper for every route or for every 50ct stack on each route?

and also step 6 what do you mean by sorting and founding?

6) when post cards are delivered to you, open up all the boxes and start sorting and founding the bundles of 50 to get the correct amount for each route
thanks again dlong that was really thoughtful of you to make this thread to help all of us

recycledsole
09-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Permits for certain areas?
hey guys. I remember one area I passed out flyers, the local police contacted me and said I need a permit and not to pass out flyers there anymore.
What about EDDM? could I send them there through usps legally without a permit?
thanks

JContracting
09-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Care to post or pm your postcard for clean ups & snow Dlong? What was your target market for them also?

I have done fall & winter services doorhangers the past twp years and the response was gsrbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cedar Lawn Care
09-16-2013, 02:15 PM
I sent out 1700 post cards this spring EDDM. The printing company I went through was pretty dishonest. They failed to mention that the cost of shipping was not mentioned in the price even though I asked how much it cost for everything. Make sure you know all the costs associated with what you're doing before you have boxes of post cards sitting in front of you and you're told you still owe 500 bucks. The whole process was more difficult and annoying than I expected.

From sending out 1700 to what I considered my ideal client base these are my results:

1. A one time job spraying weeds and dandelions.
2. A quote for an old guy that thought I was satan quoting him $25/week for mowing.
3. 2-3 new weekly mowing clients.

From my experience I paid roughly 300 dollars per weekly client. If I had plenty of money and a strong desire to grow that might be worth it, but frankly I have received 20 new clients this year just from having a website and a good web presence. It's pretty tough to justify for me.

recycledsole
09-16-2013, 09:54 PM
From my experience I paid roughly 300 dollars per weekly client. If I had plenty of money and a strong desire to grow that might be worth it, but frankly I have received 20 new clients this year just from having a website and a good web presence. It's pretty tough to justify for me.

What do you mean by good web presence?
thanks so much

Cedar Lawn Care
09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
What do you mean by good web presence?
thanks so much

Having a web page that ranks high in search engines. Having a google places account with ratings, having craigslist adds, being on yelp, being on superpages.com etc. Just being everywhere a potential client could look online so you're easy to find.

HHlandscaping
09-19-2013, 05:29 PM
How was everyones return On there eddm's this year??? I think I sent out close to 5k out and got 2 Hardscapes worth total about 7k. ...just wanted to hear some other guys thoughts

Cedar Lawn Care
09-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Are any of you aware of a good site for targeting very specific demographics? I don't think I want to do EDDM next year, I want to try being very specific with who I send it to. What's a good site?

recycledsole
10-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I have a few questions. Thanks for anyone who can help out
For the face sheet:
https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/eddm-retail-facing-slip.pdf
do you make page for each route, or each bundle?
also for 'delivery type' what should I put?

when I signup for an account it asks me for my CRID number, but I thought the purpose of making an account is to obtain the CRID number?
my flyers just came, so im sure ill have more questions!
thanks so much

recycledsole
10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Are any of you aware of a good site for targeting very specific demographics? I don't think I want to do EDDM next year, I want to try being very specific with who I send it to. What's a good site?

The EDDM site tool has some sorting options about demographics like age, income, size

recycledsole
10-07-2013, 11:46 AM
apparently you need one facing slip for each route.
this guide is a little more helpful
https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/every-door-direct-mail-user-guide.pdf

Elements Design/Build LLC
10-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I just spent over an hour reading this entire thread as I am also interested in investing in EDDM. My overall concern is the ROI. I have no problems with finding the right printer, bundling, selecting the routes, etc. DLong, you mentioned in the beginning of this thread that you have either anticipated or achieved results of 1.5-2% ROI. What is your return after committing this season?

Our Company started last fall. We provide landscape design and construction services for residential clients in the South Jersey and SE Pa markets. We also provide lawn care programs for both commercial and residential. We are a subcontractor for a larger commercial maintenance company and treat around 400-500 acres for them. The residential side is in it's infancy. This is what we need to expand. My goal is to gain 250-300 new residential lawn care application customers for 2014.

Others, please comment on the best way to accomplish this.

Our website is www.elementsdesignbuildllc.com

It was built with SEO in mind and I have a person working monthly to get us to page 1 for Google. So far, it has generated little traffic.

Please comment on website as well.

Thanks!

Elements Design/Build LLC
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Another question:

Did you repeat the mailers to the same routes? How many times?

Anyone specifically targeting lawn care application accounts?

BandBLawncare
12-09-2013, 12:10 AM
This thread has been great

PLW
11-08-2014, 04:28 PM
I advertise like crazy in my own neighborhood. There is around 600 homes in my neighborhood, small 1/4 acre lots. I can mow 35 in a day here and they are each around 20-25. This is huge profit for me so i chose to double or triple up my advertising each year on just the 8 streets in my neighborhood. I sent me test batch out at a completely random time in the middle of the week just to see if EDDM has a quick turnaround. BOY THEY ARE FAST!

I know this is off topic, but what size mowers do you use to cut the 1.4 acre lots? Is it just you cutting them DLONG or do you have helpers that help you and also about how long does it take you to cut one of the 1/4 lots?

Just trying to get a general idea as i'm going to be targeting these types of lots.