PDA

View Full Version : Grading issue in my front lawn

Above Par Lawns
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
I am wanting to fill in the area where my lawn has sunken. I assume it's settling around the sewer line? It's a 30 ft. x 5 ft. x .25 ft. area needing leveled out. By my calculations that's about 1.4 yards needed. I have pretty heavy clay soil so I'll be using a compost/topsoil mix. MY question is... Is 10% extra soil mix enough to factor in "settling"? I'd hate to have it sink in again.

Above Par Lawns
01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
The lawn has settled around the water meter. It is very unsightly but I'm not sure how to correct it. Maybe just add some plants as a screening.

Above Par Lawns
01-23-2013, 10:01 PM
1.4 yards seems like an awful lot.

Above Par Lawns
01-23-2013, 10:03 PM
another...

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Get one yard and if you need more then order more. NOBODY delivers fractions of a yard, it's either 1 yard or 2.

-Michael

Above Par Lawns
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Get one yard and if you need more then order more. NOBODY delivers fractions of a yard, it's either 1 yard or 2.

-Michael

I'll be picking it up myself and had planned on getting 1.5 yards. They'll let me do that. I think you're right about just 1 though. Thanks. Any suggestions on how to level out around the water main?

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Sometimes I put 3/4 of the soil down, tamp it heavily, and then put the last 1/4 of the dirt down. Don't tamp or flatten the top layer or else the grass roots won't properly take to the ground.

-Michael

knox gsl
01-24-2013, 12:17 AM
I'll be picking it up myself and had planned on getting 1.5 yards. They'll let me do that. I think you're right about just 1 though. Thanks. Any suggestions on how to level out around the water main?

I would just fill it in and slope into the meter box the best you can.

Smallaxe
01-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Are you going to lift up the sod and lay it back down???

The best way to "Settle" the new soil is to soak it down good with water... purposely compacting the soil is never a good idea... think about water perculation and general soil structure before compacting the ground...especially with heavy soil it is always going to bea matter of long term regret...

Any ways this should get you close enough that you will be able to fine tune the area by raking in new soil as a topdress w/out killing the crowns... but I would not leave a rise of 10% or any percentage once it has been soaked and allowed to drain...

RussellB
01-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Have you called your water/wastewater utility? I noticed in your second pic that a wastewater/storm sewer manhole and catch basin appear to have quite a bit of settlement around them. Did anybody tamp the soil when utilities were installed? You might get lucky (if they are tripping hazards) and have the utility handle the areas within the county owned portion of the property.

Above Par Lawns
01-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Are you going to lift up the sod and lay it back down??? Yes I will be. I'll most likely be waiting until mid-late summer to do so. I am going to aerate and re seed the area as well as I'm doubtful I will be able to re use most of the sod.

Have you called your water/wastewater utility? I noticed in your second pic that a wastewater/storm sewer manhole and catch basin appear to have quite a bit of settlement around them. Did anybody tamp the soil when utilities were installed? You might get lucky (if they are tripping hazards) and have the utility handle the areas within the county owned portion of the property.

I never thought about this but I highly doubt they would come out and do it. I have a 4 year old so maybe I can tell them it's a hazard for her. It's not THAT bad, and I wouldn't really call it a hazard quite yet. We bought this house a year ago so I'm unsure what they did while installing. I'll give them a call though.