PDA

View Full Version : Washingtonia Palms

Nelson
02-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Hello,

Just planted 3 of these palms in my yard around my pool today....

I would appreciate any advice on these palms.....

Fertilization, Watering,Hardiness, Pruning....etc.etc.....

Thanks for your time......:D

devildog
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Although very drought tolerant when established, palms love water, therefore, to look their best, keep palms constantly moist- before, during, and after planting. I’d suggest deep watering at set intervals to allow seepage to the bottom most roots or running a slow application rate drip system to achieve the same effect.

Wash’s appreciate moderate to heavy amounts of fertilization to keep their best color and to promote rapid growth. Spring, Summer, and Fall is the growing season for most palms and this is when fertilizer will be most useful to the palm. Use a slow release fertilizer such as our Palm Pro granular which comes in a fifty pound bag. Amounts to apply would be a cup full every 3-4 months for a 15 gal. plant, two cups for 24" box, 3 cups for 36" box and 4 cups for large 48" boxed or field grown palms. Also a quick acting foliar feed such as miracle grow can be applied in the early Spring to jump start the palms after the winter.

For the most part, Wash’s should be trimmed at least yearly They look best if trimmed to the horizontal point, or 90 degree point. Never should the palms be trimmed back past the 45 degree point. Always trim the palms back to the point of termination on the trunk below the last spines (if any). With Regards… devildog

Nelson
02-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks devildog for the response......

Should I fertilize in a few weeks or wait til the palm
is a year old......

I was told to wait 1 year after planting a new tree to
fertilize it?:confused:

Thanks again

devildog
02-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Start your program right now. Remember to keep your fert at the edge (of the root ball) and beyond. With regards... devildog

wojo23323
02-04-2003, 06:49 AM
I bought 5 of these palms while I was in Panama City FL. They are in my sunroom now since I think it is too cold to plant them. I plan on planting them around March 15. Could I fertilize while they are still in the pot, or should I wait unti I plant them? Thanks.

devildog
02-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Yes, in this instance use a liquid @ half the rate as listed on the label. Are you planning to out these in a landscape this year?
with regards... devildog

wojo23323
02-04-2003, 09:55 AM
Yes. I am going to plant them around my pool around March 15th.