PDA

View Full Version : Can you remove a 6:1 gear reduction box on Briggs 3.5 to Honda GX120?

lawnwerks
01-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Bought a replacement engine cheap and was wondering if the gear reduction box can be moved from my old Briggs 3.5HP to the Honda? Shaft size are the same. Thanks!

cooperthumb
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Im Pretty sure the gear reducer is connected to the crank shaft

pugs
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
First of all if you want a 6:1 engine you need to buy it that way in the beginning. The gearbox doesnt just go on the engine. The crankshafts of the 6:1 engines have a gear cut into them. Then the gear reduction box mounts on the side with a large gear that is driven by the small one on the crankshaft. The large gear is conneced to shaft that comes out of the gearbox and drives your aerator or whatever.

Second, I am pretty sure the gear reduction parts would not be at all similar between a Honda and a Briggs. I mean they look very similar but as far as being interchangeable at all I highly doubt it.

But it sounds like you bought a normal engine and expect to put a 6:1 reduction on it. That is not going to happen period...unless you change the crankshaft and buy all the 6:1 parts. For a honda that might include changing the side cover.

lawnwerks
01-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I will try to make it work on another application