PDA

View Full Version : Will gas prices ever destroy this industry?

georgialawn88
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Whoe gets concerned about gas prices? if your in fert business its a petroleum based product plus gets delivered on truck which use deisel. ferts going up every year which makes our prices go up. If your cutting grass same thing. your at a house then gone in 30 minutes driving. mowers blowers everything is ran off gas. Will it get so bad one day people say you know what forget spraying my yard, and ill push my own yard. Seems these r 2 things that will go very fast. am i over thinking? we can always raise our prices to have the same profit margin but how much will customers take before saying screw it im done? or will just the bad companies fail and good ones continue on their path.... im just thinking out loud but its febuary. gas is supppossed to be at its lowest level. oil is now 95.00/barrel. just kinda scary. thoughts?

grassman177
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
ya, its not February......... lol

georgialawn88
01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
ok im sorry 6 days from febuary. i figured you were smart enough to know what i meant. im sorry its january 26th. that better? same difference. either way its the season for low gas prices. thanks for the help!!!

Sprinkler Buddy
01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
In short NO!

There will always be those that can't do it themselves and those that are too lazy to do it themselves. While we may here a little more complaints, they will continue to pay just as we do ourselves.

wegomow
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
No. we'll adjust prices and lower overhead and move on.

larryinalabama
01-26-2013, 11:14 AM
I think the "tipping" point would be 7.00$ per gallon.

georgialawn88
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I think the "tipping" point would be 7.00$ per gallon.

if thats the case i think that we will see 6.99 eventually. wherever that tipping point is it will be pushed. if it was 3.00 then gas wouldnt go over 2.99.

skorum03
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Its weird to think that right now, if gas costs anywhere right around $3.00 it seems very acceptable, which is just plain wrong.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Jaybrown
01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
There is all electric zero turns now. They barely make any sounds compared to gas Its way less on operator costs and maintenance. But i think the mower is $20,000. Maybe $25000. You can run all day for a couple dollars in electricity. Then you can sell to your customers a green alternative. It's called the Green Machine.

seabee24
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Will it destroy the industry, no

Will it change the industry, yes

Owners and operators will have to be conservative. Battery option equipment is the waive of the future. Personally I'm all for it. Less fuel, less maintenance, less down time with battery operated.

A bigger concern is if fuel would jump up, we would increase pricing....so would every other service in every industry. So the guy that owns a restraunt now has all his bills double (not just mowing). So he raises prices and at some point people will not want to eat out as much....restraunt goes under, and you loose a client. This would happen in every industry

It's the low ballets that will kill this industry

jbell36
01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
the best answer so far in this thread is will it destroy the industry, no, but will it change the industry...absolutely

i doubt battery operated will be the wave of the future, but i do think an alternative fuel will take over...in my own opinion i think propane is the future

i wouldn't be shocked to see all battery operated but i don't see it happening...somethings going to happen, it has to, it's going to be interesting to see where things are in 5 years

the problem i see is supply and demand...if everyone switches to propane or a different alternative fuel what happens to the price of gasoline, propane, etc...

H & M Yard Improvements
01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
If everyone switches to propane or some other alternative fuel the crooks in Washington and Wall Street will find a way to drive those prices up too! The problem is greedy Wall Street speculation and greedy politicians who only think of themselves and not enough citizens with a set of balls to stand up to either! This will most likely remain the same and gradually get worse! Just my 2 cents!
Posted via Mobile Device

seabee24
01-27-2013, 05:23 PM
the best answer so far in this thread is will it destroy the industry, no, but will it change the industry...absolutely

i doubt battery operated will be the wave of the future, but i do think an alternative fuel will take over...in my own opinion i think propane is the future

i wouldn't be shocked to see all battery operated but i don't see it happening...somethings going to happen, it has to, it's going to be interesting to see where things are in 5 years

the problem i see is supply and demand...if everyone switches to propane or a different alternative fuel what happens to the price of gasoline, propane, etc...

I would totally think battery operation will be the way to go. keep in mind, where does it all start at.... cars. and you dont see too many propane driven vehicals being made, but yet battery vehicals are on the rise.

From an engineers stand point. I can use elecric motors for everything, I dont need any belts, I dont need any hoses, no pullies, no engine, no hydo motors, no hydro pumps, no oil, no hydro oil, no starter, no starter battery, no alternator, no transmittions, no clutches for the pto. and no effciency loss from the use of the above objects due to friction. no oil changes, no belt chages, no blowing hydro hose, pumps, seals or motors, no pull starters and the list goes on and on. the largest mining equiptment we have is electric, trains are electricly driven.

only problem is can they produce a battery that will last a decent amount of time and give good preformance. we already burn though 3k plus a year in fuel alone per mower. so if they could billed a ztr with preformance that was in the 12-15k range on battery I would buy it.

stihl has battery power units, and they arent terrible. granded not up to commercial standards, yet. but the cordless screw driver took years for the consumer to buy, now even major contractors have 18 volt dewalts. I havnt used my corded drill in years.

jbell36
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I would totally think battery operation will be the way to go. keep in mind, where does it all start at.... cars. and you dont see too many propane driven vehicals being made, but yet battery vehicals are on the rise.

From an engineers stand point. I can use elecric motors for everything, I dont need any belts, I dont need any hoses, no pullies, no engine, no hydo motors, no hydro pumps, no oil, no hydro oil, no starter, no starter battery, no alternator, no transmittions, no clutches for the pto. and no effciency loss from the use of the above objects due to friction. no oil changes, no belt chages, no blowing hydro hose, pumps, seals or motors, no pull starters and the list goes on and on. the largest mining equiptment we have is electric, trains are electricly driven.

only problem is can they produce a battery that will last a decent amount of time and give good preformance. we already burn though 3k plus a year in fuel alone per mower. so if they could billed a ztr with preformance that was in the 12-15k range on battery I would buy it.

stihl has battery power units, and they arent terrible. granded not up to commercial standards, yet. but the cordless screw driver took years for the consumer to buy, now even major contractors have 18 volt dewalts. I havnt used my corded drill in years.

these are all very good points...my question was will they produce enough power and last long enough...and to be honest, technology advances everyday, so i wouldn't be surprised not if, but when they come out with that technology...i would say it will be a solid 10 if not 20 years until that's mainstream...i still remember people saying we were going to be in flying cars by 2000

propane at the moment seems to be the best answer, in my opinion, but i agree, don't count batteries out...it would be pretty solid to run a machine all day with all the benefits you described...as of right now they don't have anything that will last for more than 2 hours and i'm not if it's anywhere near the power of a combustion engine...

i also would have told you that you are out of your damn mind if you told me by 2007 we would have a device in our pockets that allowed you to run your business in the field online, listen to any music you wanted to with headphones or simply the device itself, watch youtube videos, get on Facebook, etc...like i said, anything is possible with technology, and i think it's right around the corner

KG26
02-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I think it will there will come a point when customers say its too expensive.

NIXRAY
02-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Astro-turf. Or alternative turf. Or they robo mower is going to take off
Posted via Mobile Device

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
I've heard the US will be the worlds largest producer of oil by 2017. Due in part by the oil they've discovered in Texas the last few years. If there's any truth to that one would assume prices would go down if we are producing domestically. We'll see...

205mx
02-09-2013, 12:30 PM
If everything switches to propane or electricity, the demand for fuel goes down. The price should then follow suit. I think cars will switch. And then fuel will come down. Mowers are likely to stay petro for the foreseeable future.

skorum03
02-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't think Electric vehicles will catch on for a long time. Especially if domestic oil production is going to increase in the next 5 to 10 years. The whole electric vehicle thing is part of this going green trend that has not so long ago gotten to be huge. I just read an article not long ago in the New York Times about how if you were to buy a chevy volt, it would take 27 years to pay off the initial cost assuming you were driving in the battery powered mode. It just seems that the average consumer isn't going to go for that considering that the chevy volt costs nearly 40 grand. But you never know, Im sure there are a very small number of tree huggers out there that are all for it. Don't mean to get all political haha but any time fuel prices come up, that seems to be what happens anyways.

Just my two cents

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

ef200098
02-10-2013, 04:04 PM
All gas prices do is set the rate of inflation, there isn't one company or human that doesn't depend on it. Gas goes up so does Milk, Nancy's hair cut, Fred's round of golf, etc.

KG26
02-10-2013, 11:42 PM
All gas prices do is set the rate of inflation, there isn't one company or human that doesn't depend on it. Gas goes up so does Milk, Nancy's hair cut, Fred's round of golf, etc.

This is true but economics tells us that some products are inelastic meaning due to lac of substitutions people will pay what they have too. Milk is some what inelastic soy milk or other milk will be cheaper thus inhibiting people to make the switch to the cheaper substitution. Landscaping is no different gas keeps going up LCO's bids will go up home owners will say "its too expensive" and look for the guy who will do it for a lesser amount, they just may invest in a mower them self.