PDA

View Full Version : Pool patio pitch question

alldayrj
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Say that three times fast, but, i have secured a job where the pool is being reused and we are replacing a wood deck between it and the house. Now everyone knows that a patio must pitch away from the house but i have always pitched away from pools as well (figured it would keep it cleaner etc). This is the first patio I've done with a pool close enough to a house to create this problem. So what to do? 50' of trench drain down the middle as an eyesore or let er rip into the pool?
Also what is the lowest pitch you feel comfortable with?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaperCutter
01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Unless it's a situation where you're somehow moving a LOT of water, Google 'deco drain'.

alldayrj
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
250 for 100' isnt too bad. Its probably 600sf of patio that i need to control the rain water. The rest of the patio can be pitched conventionally and the gutters will be piped away
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
01-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Have you considered having a wooden grate made with 3/4" slats to fit into a premade drainage trough? It would be pricey but if accented correctly, very aesthetically apealing
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Patio Building 101 Rules:
1. NEVER slope into a pool
2. NEVER slope to a house

And that means you must use a drain.

http://www.acomarkant.com/hexadrain_brickslot.htm is a nice solution

NEVER NEVER NEVER slope into a pool....EVER

alldayrj
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Whats that stuff cost sva?
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Not sure off hand, aco products are not typically cheap
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
01-28-2013, 01:45 PM
When working around pools I use NDS's Duraslope. They have grey plastic grates. Or you can get nice decorative steel grates.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Any pictures using these products guys? Curious where to locate it between the pool and house. Pool is probably 15' away from the house. Rectangular running parallel
Posted via Mobile Device

mjjlandscape
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
we always use 4" or six" brass or metals drains depending on paver color and put them out of direct site or traffic pattern. behind planters around raised structures. etc. it takes some time gieeting grade set but with a laser level is very doable. Good Luck

alldayrj
01-28-2013, 09:13 PM
My dad is positive we can get the water off with a compound pitch, i just want to make sure its natural to walk on and not a stumbling hazard
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Any pictures using these products guys? Curious where to locate it between the pool and house. Pool is probably 15' away from the house. Rectangular running parallel
Posted via Mobile Device

google NDS duraslope

And DO NOT retort to using the 1-inch wide pool drain. you know, the white channel with the narrow plastic slots. That stuff over the years fills with sediment. And I know that as a fact.

alldayrj
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
the NDS stuff is about 80? per 4' IIRC
found this article basically stating everything above
http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/75121/Deck-Patio-Drainage-For-Inground-Swimming-Pools-101
I dont like the idea of the drain by the house, I would like to put it right after the coping but we agreed to dowel the pool slab into the concrete pool. If we keep the existing steel pool(homeowner is debating doing a new concrete pool) this is what I will do. other wise I guess it is spot drains. does anyone have a link to a nice square drain? I hate round ones

DVS Hardscaper
01-28-2013, 10:59 PM
I would not go drilling in the pools side walls, header, whatever you wanna call it. To me - they're walls.

We work around multiple pools annually. And I have never seen a single concrete pool (gunite and concrete are the same thing in my eyes for what we do) where a slab has been doweled into the concrete. In my eyes - do not go drilling into their pool. Some here may reply "we do it all the time". Good for you. The slab must float with the winter heaving. If you down that slab and it heaves I it could apply pressure to the dowel points and cause a structural crack. I've seen it all, structural cracks, earth quake damage, poor mixes of cement, I can go on and on.

Also the pool builder may frown on their pool being drilled in. You'd be amazed how many lawsuits arise from concrete problems with concrete/gunite pools. Primarily because pool builders take short cuts in the gunite aspect. The use gunite with super low PSI strength. the don't use enough rebar. And so forth.

Duraslope is the ONLY drain system that you DO NOT need to pitch. That's the beauty of it. Yeah it's pricey. But it works and you'll never have to do a thing with it afterwards.
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
I second the no doweling motion.

You are actually suppose to put two layers of building felt between the pool wall and the pool deck. To allow movent.

Duraslope is nifty stuff!
On drains channel drains, I usually go with a slope of 1/16 inch to 1/8inch per foot.
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
01-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Yea I've been reading 1/4 per foot and think thats heavy. Plumbing uses 1/8 to carry turds in a pipe.

I omitted doweling from the proposal and will explain it when we meet for a deposit hopefully this week.

Duraslope is cool but its so commercial. If i do a drain to do 2 or 3 square metal ones or the thin plastic strip
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
As I stated earlier in this thread - the "thin plastic strip" will be a not so wise choice. We rip them up at about 3 different houses a month. They are always compacted with sediment. And they are not paver friendly - 1/2 of their composition is rounded, thus requiring mucho sawing of the bottoms of pavers.

Just not a good product.

The pool builders use the "thin plastic strip" because it's cheap. Just like the tract home builders install those ugly brass $17 light fixtures in the hallway.

alldayrj
01-29-2013, 11:50 PM
So brass drains it is. I still can't find a place locally for square ones if anyone has a link to a supplier they use
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
01-30-2013, 12:17 AM
The brass drains will probably be ok. One thing to ALWAYS keep in mind with drains is - you should ALWAYS install drain system that will virtually never compact with sediment. And if does fill with sediment - it should be EASY to clean. See, people don't even change their furnace filters, so they're certainly not going to mess with cleaning their drains.

The picture is of poor quality, but here is a link to a picture of the Duraslope.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=288845&page=4

It's the LAST picture. Like I said - poor quality.

alldayrj
01-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I'll look tomorrow on my laptop, thanks man.
Also, a brass drain that is part of a basin with a removable grate for cleaning would be ideal
Posted via Mobile Device