PDA

View Full Version : Best Honda 21 push mower for commercial use?

Holland
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Ok so starting a solo outfit this spring. Only doing small residential homes with 1/2 acre -1 acre size lots. Plan on buying a used walk behind 36 and a Honda commercial 21. Ive been looking for a used Honda for a while but no luck. So Im thinking of buying new. Which one should I get? Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
HRC216HXA I have a friend in PA that has one and absolutely loves it. Plus you can't beat the hydro drive. For a little more look into Ybravo mowers. I've personally never tried one but have read really good reviews on them.

ybravo.com

zechstoker
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Are you planning to use the 21" just as a trim mower, or are you anticipating that it will have to be used for whole yards where the bigger mower won't be an option due to narrow gates and whatnot?

Holland
01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm gonna use the 21 a bunch as most of the lawns have side yards where it will be a pain in the a@@ to run anything larger.
Also some of the yards will be small enough where I'll only use the 21.

Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

zechstoker
01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Oh, okay. Figured I better ask that question before giving a proper response since the answer to that question plays a big part in determining the best machine for the job.

As far as 21" Honda's go, you really can't beat the HRC216 HXA commercial line. However, there are better options to be considered.

While the Honda mowers are cheaper (by approximately $100 to $150) compared to eXmark and Toro, they have a tendency to cost more in the long run due to their higher costs of maintenance/repairs. This is due to a couple reasons. First, they are built with more parts (so I'm told anyway) which gives room for parts to go bad more frequently (more parts, more problems). Secondly, the costs to replace some parts is a tad more expensive. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong though. And the third reason they cost more to maintain: According to the dealership I deal with, the labor charge to work on those is generally higher since it takes longer to fix certain things. Of course that issue can be disregarded if you're doing your own repairs.

I'm really not trying to make the Honda sound like a bad idea because they ARE good machines. I used a number of them over the years, and have always been happy with their performance. The last one I had though just got old and worn out, so I had to replace it. The dealer said he'd sell me a new Honda, but advised that I consider other options. After hearing what he had to say about the options available in store, I decided to switch over to the eXmark commercial 21. So far, I'm happy with the decision made.

Just some food for thought...

cpllawncare
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
What's your budget? commercial 21" mowers are EXPENSIVE! I went with a Snapper for around $500 the Ybravo's are over a grand as are the Exmarks I think.The Honda's are great mowers also the next one I get will most likely be a Honda.

LLandscaping
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I have been using Toro commercial 21's for 10yrs. They hold up great and last a long time.

Holland
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Hmm. So Toro vs Honda. If im buying new which one?? Which has the best cut and fastest speed?
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeypizano
02-02-2013, 12:56 AM
HRC216HXA I have a friend in PA that has one and absolutely loves it. Plus you can't beat the hydro drive. For a little more look into Ybravo mowers. I've personally never tried one but have read really good reviews on them.

ybravo.com

That would be ME specifically! :laugh: I love mine, and wouldn't buy anything else! The only real issue is mulching wet grass, or using the optional rear discharge on wet grass.

rbljack
02-02-2013, 01:21 AM
I started using a honda HRC with the hydro drive last year and love it so far. its used for most of my mowing tasks, and has been a great machine so far. Good luck with your decision.