PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed with removable dovetail

ShadyTree
01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I have been playing with the idea of getting rid of my trailers and going with a flatbed truck. Right now I have pickup trucks and rack dumps with landscape trailers and I use those trucks as plow trucks in the winter or use the rack trucks for clean up. The downside in going with a flatbed truck is that it only has one use. If I decide to go with the flatbed trucks with stationary dovetails I can't use those trucks for anything else. I've been doing some research and came across a company called Blue Ridge Manufacturing they make something called a grasspro RDT. This seems to me to be the best product on the market for removable dovetails. I thought this was a great idea because in the winter I can remove the tail put a salt spreader in the truck or even use the truck for cleanup and or mulch. Here is a link to see it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45J7R26GmlY&feature=youtube_gdata_player I was wondering if anyone has seen this in person and if you know the cost of something like this. Let me know your thoughts and or suggestions.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Looks neat - can you fit two ztrs on there with baggers? It would be tight!

SRT8
01-28-2013, 10:10 AM
How much is that setup?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinkerlawn
01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Funny you started a thead like this as i am currrently in the process of fabing up one of these! Were trying to get away from the trailers and go with a single truck we could use for mowing and also meet all of our landscape needs. From my research it seems that Wil-ro.com is the only company that professionally makes these other than the grass pro guy. But I'm not sure what company he's with? The ones from wil-ro do not require you to have a dump bed in order to attach them to your truck. I have some close up pictures of a removeable one I'm using to make my own if you were looking for some
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm sure if it didn't dump you could pop it off with the skid steer
Posted via Mobile Device

ShadyTree
01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Funny you started a thead like this as i am currrently in the process of fabing up one of these! Were trying to get away from the trailers and go with a single truck we could use for mowing and also meet all of our landscape needs. From my research it seems that Wil-ro.com is the only company that professionally makes these other than the grass pro guy. But I'm not sure what company he's with? The ones from wil-ro do not require you to have a dump bed in order to attach them to your truck. I have some close up pictures of a removeable one I'm using to make my own if you were looking for some
Posted via Mobile Device

The one thing I didn't like about wil-ro was all of the stands that were required to disconnect the dovetail. When I saw this one I fell in love with how easy it was to load and unload it. I'm thinking I would at least need a 16' bed plus the tail to fit two 61" bobcat riders and a 36" walk behind. I'm going to try and contact the company tomorrow to see if I can get more info.

Puddle of Oil
01-28-2013, 11:41 PM
I was looking to do the same thing as well. Can't seem to find his website but I'd sure be interested in learning more.

knox gsl
01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
The one thing I didn't like about wil-ro was all of the stands that were required to disconnect the dovetail. When I saw this one I fell in love with how easy it was to load and unload it. I'm thinking I would at least need a 16' bed plus the tail to fit two 61" bobcat riders and a 36" walk behind. I'm going to try and contact the company tomorrow to see if I can get more info.

I like this one better than the Wil-Ro for the same reason. I guess the only downfall would be if you had debris on the truck that you wanted to keep on there but also remove the ramp section.

ShadyTree
01-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Here is the website but they don't have the removable dovetail on the site they only have the stationary one. http://www.blueridgemfg.com like I said I'll try and call tomorrow to get more info. Unfortunately they don't have distributors in NJ
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
01-29-2013, 12:36 AM
will you post the price of these tomorrow when you find out? ironically, i have been searching online for about 2 hours tonight for a landscape/mowing bed...not a lot of info out there surprisingly for as popular as they are...the only one i came across was wil-ro as well

Woodman1
01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I have one at the powder coaters right now. I pick it up Saturday. It was built in NC. It is on a dumping flatbed. It requires two bolts to be removed and it has built in legs for it to "stand" on when it is not attached to the truck. Pictures to follow!

ShadyTree
01-30-2013, 06:34 PM
I have one at the powder coaters right now. I pick it up Saturday. It was built in NC. It is on a dumping flatbed. It requires two bolts to be removed and it has built in legs for it to "stand" on when it is not attached to the truck. Pictures to follow!

Looking forward to seeing these pictures! What was the company that built yours? Also can you give us details like size of the bed, the tail, the ramp and the cost to have this installed.

Woodman1
01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I bought a 4dr 4500 Dodge cab and Chasis. My plan is for this truck to be VERY versitile. I put a 9 1/2 foot dumping flatbed on it with recessed stake pockets. The removable dovetail was an after thought. I have a dedicated maintenance truck with a dovetail and I have access to several dedicated dump trucks of varying sizes and I have a dump trailer. I needed something with a little more rear end than my 2500 to pull my big equipment trailer, but I wanted the capability of putting a leaf box on it or whatever else I may need it for.
We toyed with several different lengths for the dovetail. I hate to say it, but I haven't even seen it since the production of the dovetail started so I don't know the exact dimensions yet. Spann Metal in Lenior NC (4 hours away) is doing the fab work. They have done a few that I have seen pictures of ... SOOO - we will see Saturday.

Woodman1
02-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I picked it up this morning. The dovetail is detachable. I will have pics of it detached tomorrow.
I have a million ideas for it, so we will see what the future holds , but here is what it looks like for the moment:

gallihergreen
02-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Looks good Woodman! :drinkup:
Posted via Mobile Device

Woodman1
02-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Thank you Sir!
Posted via Mobile Device

Woodman1
02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
If anyone around Hickory NC is looking for a GREAT truck - I traded in a 2006 Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed with 42000 miles on it for my new truck. The 2500 has been in a building since the night I bought it in 2007. It is practically BRAND new!
It is at Steve White Motors.

maplenoak
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Woodman,

Is there any way to make the pictures larger?

Shawn

Woodman1
02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey man, I KNOW there is. I have never posted any pics before. I have been reading all morning on what and how to do pics on here. I will get some better ones up as soon as I get back home.
Posted via Mobile Device

joemower
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Check out the Switch-N-Go system http://switchngo.com We have been using these for over 6 years and would never consider any other again. One truck many different bodies. If they don't have a body for you they can make it or find someone who can. There are so many added benefits of having a bed that you can lower down to ground level and/or switch out in a matter of minutes. You owe it to yourself to check them out.

maplenoak
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I called about the switchngo system, and was told, just for the hoist, with no body was $15,000 and that was about 6yrs ago. I like Woodman1's set up so far, waiting for him to post more info. I looked on the blue ridge mfng site and I like that set up as well, but maybe taller drop down side.

Shawn

Puddle of Oil
02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
The switch n go "s model" hoist is $7,200 and $2,000 to install, your install cost will vary. Not sure where you got 15k for just the hoist?

ShadyTree
02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I called about the switchngo system, and was told, just for the hoist, with no body was $15,000 and that was about 6yrs ago. I like Woodman1's set up so far, waiting for him to post more info. I looked on the blue ridge mfng site and I like that set up as well, but maybe taller drop down side.

Shawn

I agree with you on the sides. I was thinking like 24" tall solid sides maybe even create drop sides so you can load pallets if you needed. Still trying to out way my options with this style truck or truck and trailer.

ShadyTree
02-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Check out the Switch-N-Go system http://switchngo.com We have been using these for over 6 years and would never consider any other again. One truck many different bodies. If they don't have a body for you they can make it or find someone who can. There are so many added benefits of having a bed that you can lower down to ground level and/or switch out in a matter of minutes. You owe it to yourself to check them out.

I looked at this setup but I thought it was a lot of money for a setup on an f550. I wouldnt be able to utilize that system to the fullest because the truck has its limitations. I have a 4700 international hook lift truck from American roll off with a 20,000 lb hook. I run a bunch of dumpsters with this truck for mulch and clean ups. Again switch n go, great setup but was hoping for a cheaper option.

Woodman1
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Well - I still didn't get any pics of the dovetail off today - I will tomorrow.

KrayzKajun
02-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Woodman1 your truck is amazing. I just drooled on my fone looking at those pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

LandFakers
02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Well - I still didn't get any pics of the dovetail off today - I will tomorrow.
That thing looks killer!!! How high of sides are you going to put on it?

Woodman1
02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys! I plan to make several sets. I want this to be a VERY versatile truck. I have a maintenance truck that I keep my day to day stuff on. I think I will start off with a set of rails that are the same height as the wings that come off of the headache rack.

Porkins
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Sweet looking truck!

Woodman1
02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
The removable dovetail - removed.

Woodman1
02-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks Porkins. I sent you a PM.

ShadyTree
02-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Woodman, truck looks great thanks for the pics

Woodman1
02-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks Shady! Did you decide what you wanted to do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Armsden&Son
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Hey there Woodman, great looking rig man.... Just wondering what the benefits will be to you running this instead of..... say, .....one of your dump trucks with your enclosed trailer? It seems as if you are busy and also succesful so I know you wouldn't have bought it if you didn't think it would streamline your business somehow... Again, awesome looking truck and I am just trying to understand the application of these trucks because i have seen quite a few popping up lately... thanks again!

Woodman1
02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Armsden,

Very good question. There are several reasons that I got this truck. I was going to get another 4 door truck anyway. I did not own a dump truck before this one. I have access to several, but you know how that goes - as soon as I needed it - it was tied up. One part of my business that I hope to grow is skid steer work. I have a large equipment trailer that enables me to carry several implements at one time - so I needed a truck to be able to handle the load. Often I need to take materials with me - so being able to dump is a big plus.
I have a dedicated maintenance truck now. It is a two door truck, so on larger projects - I can fit everybody in the two trucks.
The dovetail on the new truck just makes that truck a little more versatile. I can do anything with the new truck that I could with the maintenance truck, but with a few minutes of work - I can have a flatbed, a leaf box truck, a dump truck or whatever.
:usflag:
I know that answer was sorta all over the place, but in short - versatility.

Best of luck with everything this year!!

Armsden&Son
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Amazing, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. That's what is so great about these new manufacturing companies, they are really pushing the envelope in terms of versatility... I actually used to work, and still put in some hours at a skid steer sales/service establishment (garfield's cousin)...(get it?) ...(haha) So I have a lot of skid steer experience and having that truck with the removable dovetail is HUGE!!!!! It's just great seeing guys innovating and using it to their advantage. I have to say that for a strictly lawn maintenence crew.... one of my favorite rigs are those new box trucks with the ramp(hydro? roll back?) They are large and there is also an auxillary dump bed in between the box and the cab for grass/dirt/mulch/stone? One guy on LS even posted one with an arm that dumped into the auxillary dump bed like a garbage collection truck! When I lived in Boston, I saw a company using one(not the arm one).... They dropped that ramp and came out buzzing with 4 walker 48's and 2 guys on the trimmers and that was for sure impressive... Good luck to you and everyone else as well this year too and just gotta say again that I think that truck is sweeeeeeet

Woodman1
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Thank you Sir! Tell the cousin that I am still saving up money - One day I will have one!!!
I would love to have one of the versions of the box trucks like you are talking about - they are VERY nice. I'll keep working towards that. If that crew with the 4 Walkers come with the truck - I will be knocking on the bank's door in the morning!!!:dancing:

Armsden&Son
02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
HaHa! Just to let you know, not sure how it works down in your neck of the woods but at the dealership that I work at, we also have a rental shop and ALL of our rental fleet is for sale at all times... Now, I know you are thinking "Rental Machines?, this guy is nuts!" However, there are some gems in our fleet that are significantly lower in cost than new ones and it is really a good way to get a great deal.. Sure, people beat on rental stuff but you know for a fact that the machine is going to be well maintained and taken care (wash downs and full service after every rental).. And I don't think we could say the same for a machine that was being sold by a landscape/excavation/construction company or individual...

Woodman1
02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Armsden

You couldn't be more right about the rental stuff! I will have to keep that in mind for the future. I have a John Deere 320 right now. I knew the guy who bought it new and I was able to see the service records, so I felt good about buying it.
I will be picking your brain if / when the time comes for another purchase!!!

Armsden&Son
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I love those 320's!! Super responsive! And any questions you have just lemme know... And, actually, I would love to pick your brain as well. I have a new thread up in this category(trucks/trailers) and I would love to know what you think.....

Woodman1
02-07-2013, 10:20 PM
I love it as well! I have only put about 500 hours on it, but I have enjoyed every one of them!
Im heading to your thread now!