PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on using your garage as equipment storage and shop.

Holland
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Newbie here. My only option is using my garage as my equipment storage and shop. Size is nice at 24x20, and only drawback is wife and I have to park in driveway. So you think this will be suffice for a while?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

hi_speedreed
01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
you are 480sqft ahead of me

knox gsl
01-28-2013, 12:23 AM
It sucks but will work.
Posted via Mobile Device

hackitdown
01-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Why wouldn't you? What is the alternative, pay rent on a shop?

MOturkey
01-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Cars are made to be outside, your equipment is in what is probably the most secure location you can have, and you have zero additional expense. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

44DCNF
01-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Do-able for the time being or longer if things allow it. You will want to check your local codes, and then consider what your neighbors might think of it. One complaining neighbor can cause a lot of grief if codes do not allow the starting of equipment at hours you will be needing to, storage of waste materials, business vehicles or trailers in the driveway, etc. Some mortgage papers may say no storage of gasoline above a certain amount on your property. I'd say if you've checked the legality of it (a lawn business run out of the home) and your insurance requirements, then yes it certainly can work for now or indefinetly.

wegomow
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Works for me. At first I would unload my open trailer and put the mower and tools in the garage. The cars still fit in also. After the first week or so I got lazy or smart and now just back the loaded trailer in the garage and leave the cars outside.

Sprinkler Buddy
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
That's how most of us start out and many never leave the garage. Once one can afford an enclosed trailer, it can open the garage space back up if so desired by the wife. lol

macgyver_GA
01-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I use half of my 2 car garage to park/store my equipment & trailer. I am still able to park one vehicle in the garage. However, when I buy my skid sprayer next month, I'm still trying to figure out where to keep it. I may have to start renting a small storage unit to keep some stuff.

pseudosun
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
It's all i've ever done; can't really see a downside to it.

knox gsl
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
As I said earlier it sucks, I am currently on a waiting list for a storage unit big enough to hold all my gear and then I will be out. It started out as just using a small area in a 2 car garage now there's not enough room in the garage for just my equipment and materials much less my wife's car or my jeep. I have a narrow path on one side to move around in and if I need something out it usually means taking a mower or 2 out to get to it.

Richard Martin
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
That's where my equipment goes if the weather gets rough.

weaver
01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
That's where my equipment goes if the weather gets rough.

Did you get a new truck yet Richard?

T Scapes
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
i used my garage this year. moving to a shop this year have to much stuff

zechstoker
01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
I use the garage at my house... and the garage at my brother's house... and the storage trailer that's in the driveway at the office. Too much stuff, and can't fit it all in one location without actually renting a space big enough for the collection.

My primary/daily use equipment comes home with me, backup machines stay at my brother's, and occasional use items, chemicals, and bulk sprinkler parts stay at the office. PITA is what it is, but that's how we have to do it for now.

Richard Martin
01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Did you get a new truck yet Richard?

Yup. A Chebbie. 2007 1/2 ton with 59k miles. Work truck, A/C, Cruise, Cloth Seats, Automatic, 5.3 liter, tilt wheel. It's almost identical to my Ford F150 that I bought 14 years ago. The Chebbie cost 3 more dollars than the Ford did. Both of them had the same number of miles. Now I'm not sure whether I paid too much for the Ford or got a great deal on the Chebbie.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/truck1_zps5e26d5d0.jpg

Nate'sLawnCare
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Yup. A Chebbie. 2007 1/2 ton with 59k miles. Work truck, A/C, Cruise, Cloth Seats, Automatic, 5.3 liter, tilt wheel. It's almost identical to my Ford F150 that I bought 14 years ago. The Chebbie cost 3 more dollars than the Ford did. Both of them had the same number of miles. Now I'm not sure whether I paid too much for the Ford or got a great deal on the Chebbie.

Congrats! Now you're gonna have to update your avatar with the new ride :laugh:

My apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack.

I just wish I had a garage, I'm storing my mowers under a shelter for now.

weaver
01-28-2013, 08:58 PM

Cool buddy.. I'm after the same thing but am going with a 4X4...

:waving:

orangemower
01-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Newbie here. My only option is using my garage as my equipment storage and shop. Size is nice at 24x20, and only drawback is wife and I have to park in driveway. So you think this will be suffice for a while?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

I could only wish I had a garage that big. I use a single car attached garage and a 12x20 shed. If I had it my way, I'd have a garage I could drive through. Pull in at the end of the day, shut the truck off, leave the key in it, close the door and say good night to it. :D Get up, open the door and you're on your way.

PS, if I had a two car garage attached, the wife WOULD NOT get a parking space. She tries to park in the driveway all the time. It's my only way to the garage. I told her to park across the street from now on. She didn't like it but I wear the pants.

chesterlawn
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
It's messy now because of winter, but you can pack allot on one side of a garage.

inzane
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
i'd use the garage as long as you can make it work.. before i moved to the house i'm in now i had to rent a storage unit, around 100 a month + 30 or 40 for a parking spot for my trailer. NOW, i use my garage. i'm able to get my 5x10 trailer (unloaded), the wifes car, my truck, 36" walkbehind, 2 21" push mowers, aerator, workbench.. i only keep the truck in the garage when its freezing because of the skid sprayer.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
All of your equipment should fit inside one garage area, so your wife can still park in the garage.

-Michael

jones68
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
I have my 1 car packed to just a pathway through it. have a 1 car garage that I trade the property owner 50% mowing and free snow removal for using hers which is stacked full cant get anything out without moving 13 different things outta the way. have a few things stashed at my buddies house also. and my enclosed is full gotta put it where you can

orangemower
01-30-2013, 07:46 AM
i'd use the garage as long as you can make it work.. before i moved to the house i'm in now i had to rent a storage unit, around 100 a month + 30 or 40 for a parking spot for my trailer. NOW, i use my garage. i'm able to get my 5x10 trailer (unloaded), the wifes car, my truck, 36" walkbehind, 2 21" push mowers, aerator, workbench.. i only keep the truck in the garage when its freezing because of the skid sprayer.

If you're running a business, I'd be telling the wife to park the car on the curb. A garage isn't a place for a woman, or her car. LOL

orangemower
01-30-2013, 08:31 AM

I meant to comment on the truck Richard. Looks nice plus low miles. The 5.3l has a ton of power. I think you'll like it.

Looks like I'll be shopping for another truck. Yesterday a older gentleman fell asleep driving. This was on a highway with a 55mph speed limit. I happen to be sitting in a left turn lane waiting when he had veered over to the left and plowed the side of my truck, then hit the car in front of me shoving them forward, then he hit the car in front of the other which actually took the blunt end. He never hit the brakes so it was a hard hit. My truck is completely beat front to back on the passenger side, blew the back tire (just got a new set for winter only use with wheels and all) wiped out the bed, back door ,front door and peeled the front fender off as well as bent the front end to the point it was toed in a good 6-7 inches! Oh, the rear leaf spring is bent too! I just put a Meyer plow on it too. I have a dozen high profile customers that are zero tolerance clients. If I lose them, I'm losing 10's of 1000's of dollars. You can bet I'll be suing the insurance company for lost wages if I lose the accounts.

JT25
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
I plan to use my garage, Its a 1 car garage and me nor my wife park in it ever! Its only used for storage anyway!