PDA

View Full Version : Patio over septic cover?

Clarkscape
01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Guys, anyone covered septic cover with paver patio?

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
You should never build anything on top of a septic tank. Unless I am misinterpreting the question?

-Michael

DVS Hardscaper
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
NO - you do not cover the septic tank's lid with pavers :hammerhead:

How are they going to get the tank serviced?? Huh, how?? :hammerhead:

The lid on the tank must be accessable.

And yes, you can put things *OVER* the tank, but you can not obstruct access to the lids and or clean-outs.

Some tanks have ratings of handeling a 10,000# load. Note: I said "some tanks", not all tanks. But I would not risk it.

Clarkscape
01-28-2013, 09:55 PM
That is what I thought....thanks for confirming

PaperCutter
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
How big of a space do you have? We did an 1800 sq ft patio for a ca. 1893 farmhouse, and the septic cap was right in the middle of where we wanted the patio. We put an extender on the cap (originally you had to dig down 2 feet to get to the lid) and then left an open 8'x8' square in the patio, centered on the tank. Brought in soil, dry set 18x18 flagstones, and put groundcover in between. Sure, every 2-3 years when it needs pumped the gardener (who they pay me to consult with) will have to pull up and replant the ophiopogon, but it works. You just need to make sure you're not then creating a water trap in the middle of your patio.

Clarkscape
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
PaperCutter, It is 550 square foot patio/walk. The design the customer and I agreed upon does not cover the septic cover; however, I started to second guess myself when I recalled a situation I came across this past summer.....I was standing with a customer on his rear patio when he explained that the septic cover was directly under the circle pak he had in the middle of his patio.......I told him that in my 5 years of doing this work, I had never come across this. He appeared totally ok with the idea he would have to have the pavers pulled up and the base disturbed to pump system. I guess if you got the $ you don't worry about these kind of things?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
We recently used a bluestone compass to cover a septic pump motor box. If they ever need to service or change pump all we need to do is pull the compass. It worked out very well
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
01-29-2013, 09:37 PM
PaperCutter, It is 550 square foot patio/walk. The design the customer and I agreed upon does not cover the septic cover; however, I started to second guess myself when I recalled a situation I came across this past summer.....I was standing with a customer on his rear patio when he explained that the septic cover was directly under the circle pak he had in the middle of his patio.......I told him that in my 5 years of doing this work, I had never come across this. He appeared totally ok with the idea he would have to have the pavers pulled up and the base disturbed to pump system. I guess if you got the $ you don't worry about these kind of things?

or he realizes there is no use in crying over spilled milk and he realizes it is what it is. I've done dumb stuff (yeah I know I know, its hard to believe!) and seldom do I get worked up. Learn from it and move on.

PaperCutter
01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
If these homeowners weren't presented with a better way of doing things they're just going to assume they got it done the "right" way. At least it (probably) wasn't Blu 80mm over the septic, right? That would be fun to pry up every time the honeybox gets full.

jrs.landscaping
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Homeowners usually don't know the consequences of their plans. I had one customer who wanted me to plant maples over his leach field :hammerhead:

Where did he think the roots where going?