PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect out of your crew?

Trucklover
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
This year things are getting huge for my company and I am worried! I have alot of new customers lined up (150 ish) and I will being doing work for a property management company, I am worried on how much my crew can do in a week and still keep a decent amount of money coming in. What do you guys expect your crews to do a week (How many mowings) most of my customers are 1 acre or less. I fig I will be paying out 800-900 a week in labor for two guys and after truck cost fuel and equipment how much do I need to pull in? Landscaping was a part time thing for me and now I am lost and need advice please!

Jaybrown
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
You should be able to bring in $4500 a week low end and $9000 high end.

Cat 320D LRR
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
This is my first year running a crew. I know how long my route was last year. I timed each lawn and kept track of driving times. Once i get calls from my mailer im going to go through and make the route. Im planning driving it with my crew leader and between the 2 of us were going to figure out the time for each lawn. They will leave at 8AM and be back around 4PM subtract out a half hour lunch and make the routes for each day. Taking him out and making the route with me, they will know what they have to do each day weather pending so if they have to do 22 lawns on thursday and they come back at 4 only have done 18 then theres a problem. If you take each crew leader out and they know what they have to get done each day itll save alot of problems in the long run

Jaybrown
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
How much you need to pull in is up to u. Someone might be happy with $500 after expenses a week and some might need $3000 a week to be happy.

nashlawn01
01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I pay out anywhere from 800-900 for two and around 1200 for three guys. Two should gross $3200 at least and $4800 for three a week. I have 54 properties mostly larger ones and work 2 guys and a third some. Im the fourth. I expect $16000 a month on grass and$7000-$9000 on landscaping. I charge around $40 per hr per man. Sometimes a little higher sometimes lower but average $40

New2TheGreenIndustry
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Hold the phone....150 new customers lined up? How did that come about? All from the management co?

SaberLawnCare
01-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Have you taken into account workman's comp? Do your auto insurance rates stay the same for employees driving the vehicle?

Hiring an employee doesn't just cost the $10 an hour you hire them for.

kmzlawncare
01-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I would expect my guys to keep up with me and then u know you'll get maximum performance. But as far as timing jobs I'm not sure that can be the same every week you have wet cutting days you have dry days you have days after high winds that you have sticks to pick up. You have customers that can hold you up and you can't be rude because they are paying you and you never want to lose jobs. I know guys will slack off when your not around that's why I always try too be on the job if you can't be there you better have a great crew boss if not you will start losing money.

Landrus2
01-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Wait 150 accounts with one acre property for 2 employees is pushing it you need 2 more guys:waving:

jrs.landscaping
01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
You should be able to bring in $4500 a week low end and $9000 high end.

Is that per crew? $9k would be 112 PMH :eek:

My break even point with a 2 man crew is $3250 per week.

prezek
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
What part of Maryland are ya? You can always send them my way if you need help :drinkup:

orangemower
01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
This year things are getting huge for my company and I am worried! I have alot of new customers lined up (150 ish) and I will being doing work for a property management company, I am worried on how much my crew can do in a week and still keep a decent amount of money coming in. What do you guys expect your crews to do a week (How many mowings) most of my customers are 1 acre or less. I fig I will be paying out 800-900 a week in labor for two guys and after truck cost fuel and equipment how much do I need to pull in? Landscaping was a part time thing for me and now I am lost and need advice please!

If that all you're paying two employee's, then they're right at minimum wage or even less IF you're paying SS, taxes and WC. OR, you're just paying guys on unemployment cash under the table. It's things like this that make me go, hummmm.

orangemower
01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
What part of Maryland are ya? You can always send them my way if you need help :drinkup:

I see you're in Baltimore. I have a customer that pays me to drive over an hour one way to Arbutus to cut a postage stamp property she owns. It takes me less then 30 min to do and she pays me $100 each time I drive down. I cut it every 3-4 weeks. I also have her other property on my regular route.

I have to use a push mower so I toss it in the trunk of my beater Toyota Camry and bungee the trunk down. I stick the trimmer head out of the back window so it's hanging out too. I wave at all the landscape guys I see with a big smile and I see them laughing.

prezek
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm all over Harford county and eastern Baltimore county.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
01-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, this lady grew up in Arbutus and the place I cut is the house her mother was born in! She said the house was built in 1928. It has the up stairs turned into a nice apartment. She had me paint it this past weekend.

Her husband who had originally hired me to service the property they bought outside of Emittsburg, Md. pasted away a few months ago after a year of being in the hospital with complications from doing stints. After that he couldn't seem to recover. One thing after another was hitting him to the point he was on a ventilator for the last 6 months he was alive. I had become kind of close to them over the years and feel I should help her with whatever it is she needs. I'll be in her basement tomorrow hanging drywall in a half bath we're installing. Whatever it takes to keep a company from coming in and ripping her off.

Patriot Services
01-31-2013, 07:24 PM
How do guys that need to ask these questions wake up one day with an extra 150 accounts?
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM
How do guys that need to ask these questions wake up one day with an extra 150 accounts?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd like to know the same thing............

Forever Green Landscaping
02-01-2013, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=orangemower;4661349]I see you're in Baltimore.
Where are you from?
What areas do you service?
Posted via Mobile Device

Forever Green Landscaping
02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
What part of Harford and Baltimore Co. specifically?
Sent you a PM
Posted via Mobile Device