PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna HU800AWD

crazyflyboy30
01-29-2013, 10:50 AM
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/press-listing/husqvarna-launches-rugged-all-wheel-drive-mower/
I have one but I have no't use it so far.
Would like to see if anybody else has one?

crazyflyboy30
02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I cut one Friday and the HU800AWD was AWESOME.I could not have cut with anything else be because it was so wet and on a hill and it bagged wet grass very well .The HONDA engine would start with one pull.

kinneberg lawn service
02-14-2013, 11:37 PM
I am thinking about getting one for this spring to replace mo 6yr old craftsman, its just plain worn out.
Does it have a pressure system for oil with Honda engine, I have only dealt with briggs?
I have some extreme hillsides that i have to push mow, have fallen many times on them does it hold nice and really pull you along?

How are they on fuel?

Thanks for all you help.

weeze
02-15-2013, 12:06 AM
looks like a great mower. how much does it cost?

weeze
02-15-2013, 12:21 AM
oh i see the price now at the bottom of the page. $499.99.

man that's gonna be a hard choice to make. the honda hrx217vka or this husqvarna hu800awd? they have the same engine and cost about the same price. hmmmm

weeze
02-15-2013, 02:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnfXjP9JB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-bY8gpa6o

crazyflyboy30
02-15-2013, 09:39 PM
I am thinking about getting one for this spring to replace mo 6yr old craftsman, its just plain worn out.
Does it have a pressure system for oil with Honda engine, I have only dealt with briggs?
I have some extreme hillsides that i have to push mow, have fallen many times on them does it hold nice and really pull you along?

How are they on fuel?

Thanks for all you help.

1 Does it have a pressure system for oil ? NO ( Lubrication System Splash )
IMO I like the Splash for crazy angels .
2 really pull you along? Yes ,I have use it on some very step hill and it will go up or spin all 4 wheels and it has variable drive speed.

3 How are they on fuel? Very good ,I have bagged one job ,it cut front and back on one tank and it has a small tank.Fuel Tank Volume 0.95 qt

crazyflyboy30
02-15-2013, 09:44 PM
looks like a great mower. how much does it cost?

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/hu800awd/
My Husqvarna cut me a deal on 3 Husqvarna's a I got the HU800AWD,580BTS Blower, 224L Trimmer and the HU800AWD was $476 out the door :cool2:

crazyflyboy30
02-15-2013, 09:48 PM
oh i see the price now at the bottom of the page. $499.99.

man that's gonna be a hard choice to make. the honda hrx217vka or this husqvarna hu800awd? they have the same engine and cost about the same price. hmmmm

I see you are in ALABAMA if you like I will see what my dealer will do on one.
My HU800AWD was $476 but I got 3 things at one time .
I was thinking of getting a chainsaw . :laugh::laugh::laugh:

crazy man
02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Morning All,

Looking at this also, Pantano power equipment on e bay.
$ 489.00 delivered to you door.

crazyflyboy30
02-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Morning All,

Looking at this also, Pantano power equipment on e bay.
$ 489.00 delivered to you door.

The price must be going down .First I look at Pantano power equipment price was $499.00 then I call them late they said $489.00 like it is ebay .
I would call Pantano same price or less. And they make more they do not pay ebay is what they said to me.

Patrick @ WandoPower
02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Be careful with your online purchases of new equipment. Some of the manufacturers are starting to crack down on wholesalers selling equipment below the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). This means warranty could potentially be voided if not sold by an authorized retailer, meeting their requirements.
Husqvarna is easy, the MAP's are posted on their website, so typcially that's what you'll find them listed in the major box stores as well independent dealers.

weeze
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
i think i still like the honda hrx217vka better. it's only rear drive but i don't really cut alot of steep hills or anything anyways. i like the variable speed control on the honda better (using your thumbs instead of pulling levers) as well as i like that the honda is rear discharge instead of side discharge. that would come in handy mowing near the street and sidewalks and so forth. yeah i know you could always bag which is what i do now on those type of properties but if i had the honda i could just discharge it or even mulch and discharge it at the same time half and half so then i wouldn't have to fool with bagging anything or blowing extra clippings off the street or sidewalks. the honda has nexite deck too that will never rust which is a plus.

right now the mower i use is very similar to the husqvarna. it has a lever to pull but it's only front wheel drive. i got it for $250 at sears. it's craftsman with honda gcv 160 engine.

cpllawncare
02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
We do run into some pretty steep yards around here, I'm going to look at the husky for sure. We mulch everything so it's not a deal breaker for us.

bisonfs05
02-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Has anybody else used this mower? I mow alot of steep hills but was wondering about the quality and how well built it is. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crazyflyboy30
02-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Has anybody else used this mower? I mow alot of steep hills but was wondering about the quality and how well built it is. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will try to make a full review video soon . I will show every about it and how it works

rdonchez
04-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Anyone have any feedback on how well this mower mulches?

jimfuel100
04-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Also looking at this mower and the $399 Honda at home depot. I'm a homeowner that needs to cut a steep area.
I'm a Honda guy...dirt bikes, cars, ATV,s and a jet ski. I expect quality from a red machine.

The awd of the husky is hard to argue with...either one should last me 10+ years.
Looking forward to reading reviews as people purchase
Posted via Mobile Device

jimfuel100
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
The hu800awd.
Posted via Mobile Device

rdonchez
04-20-2013, 04:13 AM
I note that the Husqvarna says it goes up to 3 mph while many other mowers say they go up to 4 mph. Is this an issue or is 3 mph fast enough?

crazyflyboy30
04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
I note that the Husqvarna says it goes up to 3 mph while many other mowers say they go up to 4 mph. Is this an issue or is 3 mph fast enough?

Do not know MPH but it is faster than a walk.

lawnboy dan
04-23-2013, 08:23 AM
this is where this mower falls short. who mows steep hills ans slopes at 3 mph? this is a ONE speed mower . it goes 3mph and any slower you help push it- should have had a 3 speed tough torque trans. they claim its varaiable speed but in real life its not.

jimfuel100
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
The speed may be a deal breaker for me. I'm using as a homeowner. Many (homeowner) reviews at Lowes...no one mentions it being to slow. 95% love it. _
Posted via Mobile Device

jod78
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM
I have the Husqvarna 7021p - push mower with Honda engine. Obviously I can't speak to the AWD mower in question in terms of the drive system, but my mower looks to have basically the same deck design and probably same quality construction. I bought it as a backup to push around in tight spots. I mow some crap areas with it sometimes. Love the little Honda engine on it. Push mowed darn near KNEE high grass and weeds with it using side discharge and it ate through it like a champ for the most part. Build quality is ok for a $300 mower. The one thing worth noting on this mower and it's probably the same with the AWD if the deck, rear bag, and mulch area plate are designed the same - the clippings do NOT stay under the deck. I've read other reviews on Amazon where people said the same thing. In mulching mode, there's somehow voids in the back bag attachment area attachment, maybe the mulching plate - I've yet to figure out exactly where, but the thing kicks up lighter/dead debris like crazy. I was mowing some drier areas that still had some dead leaves, misc debris, etc and this thing was throwing crap up to the point I had to go get eye protection. I never wear eye protection when I'm push mowing. In addition, the top of the deck consistently collects 2-3 inch layers of dirt, clippings, and debris. Somehow the mower just does not keep the clippings under the deck. They somehow make it up between the deck and some of the plastic components. Bad design flaw - and like I said, I've read other reviews stating they have the same problem.

Valk
04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
I see Husky's WHOLE pushmower lineup side-discharges out of the right side. Bravo!

It's been my experience that when side-discharging: a pushmower with a true right-sided-discharge is superior to a rear-side-discharger out to the left in both QOC and clipping dispersal.

When you're mowing wet grass in a concentric/racetrack fashion and blowing the clipping's outwards so as to avoid having to remow the clippings: the true right-sided discharger in a counter-clockwise direction will again kick the rear-side-discharger that must mow in a clockwise direction squarely in the butt in both QOC and clipping dispersal. You'll also have far fewer stragglers with a true right-sided discharger since the vacuum of the blade/deck will pull up the matted down grass from the tires of the previous pass...a rear-side-discharger will not do this nearly as well.

IMHO, Honda would be doing their customers a HUGE favor by redesigning all their mowers to side-discharge out of the right side like their HRS models do.

weeze
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
have you tried the hrx model? the clippings are discharged at the rear straight down and spread out. that is the best setup i've seen since it keeps grass off of sidewalks and beds and so forth.

i think you are talking about the hrr models where there is an attachment where it throws it out to the left. i think they got rid of that design this year (2013) and went with the hrx discharge design on the hrr as well.

the husqvarna 800 is variable speed transmission much like the honda smart drive. the further you pull the levers the faster it goes. it's not a 1 speed design. it's variable depending on how far you pull it back. top speed i'm not sure about. maybe it is 3mph pulled all the way back? i think the honda mowers go up to 4mph. all i know is any pushmower i've used i could never use it at full speed or i would be jogging. :laugh:

crazyflyboy30
04-24-2013, 12:02 AM
It all work for me I Love it. It go slower if you need to .

Valk
04-24-2013, 12:59 AM
have you tried the hrx model? the clippings are discharged at the rear straight down and spread out. that is the best setup i've seen since it keeps grass off of sidewalks and beds and so forth.

Do the clippings clump when wet? I can see where this could be advantageous (though not necessarily safe for the operator?). Just seems to me that getting the clippings out of the cutting area ASAP will assist dispersal and QOC, especially when conditions are less than ideal...IE TALL or wet grass.

I've not had to use a 21 much at all since '06...so I'm a bit outdated as well as not up to date. Still have my Toro SR4 in the garage...and she still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull if I gas her up.

lawnboy dan
04-24-2013, 08:05 AM
honda smart drive is the ONLY true variable speed belt drive . all others just slip the belt. i work on mowers as a side job. no one is willing to spend the $ on a variable speed pully and just fool the public

Ridin' Green
04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
I see Husky's WHOLE pushmower lineup side-discharges out of the right side. Bravo!

It's been my experience that when side-discharging: a pushmower with a true right-sided-discharge is superior to a rear-side-discharger out to the left in both QOC and clipping dispersal.

When you're mowing wet grass in a concentric/racetrack fashion and blowing the clipping's outwards so as to avoid having to remow the clippings: the true right-sided discharger in a counter-clockwise direction will again kick the rear-side-discharger that must mow in a clockwise direction squarely in the butt in both QOC and clipping dispersal. You'll also have far fewer stragglers with a true right-sided discharger since the vacuum of the blade/deck will pull up the matted down grass from the tires of the previous pass...a rear-side-discharger will not do this nearly as well.

IMHO, Honda would be doing their customers a HUGE favor by redesigning all their mowers to side-discharge out of the right side like their HRS models do.

I agree with you bro.

I have a couple older nice condition JD's I use. One is a later version 14SB ('95) and the other is a JE75 ('99 IIRC). Both cut very cleanly when using the side discharge chute, but if there's more than 2-3" of take off, they don't spread the clippings near as well as my old Jacobsen pusher I use for rough areas/ditches which is a right side discharge deck. It doesn't have near the power of the two JD's, but it splays the clippings out way better when the take off is long. There's just too many curves and bends for the clippings to negotiate on the rear, left side discharge machines. They leave windrows with longer grass. I have owned or used other right side discharge decks that also did much better discharging than the rear left side models do. The right side models that have a formed tunnel-to-discharge chute area do the best by far.

Valk
04-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Yep, agreed!
Will add that incorporating a right-sided-discharge chute opening/door will likely weaken structural integrity of the deck...but unless one is mostly bagging AND/OR mulching, I can't see buying a push mower w/o this feature.

weeze
04-24-2013, 04:59 PM
honda smart drive is the ONLY true variable speed belt drive . all others just slip the belt. i work on mowers as a side job. no one is willing to spend the $ on a variable speed pully and just fool the public

i have a craftsman with a honda engine. it uses the slip belt. if you barely pull the lever it goes slow and speeds up the further you pull the lever. that is variable speed. you can go as slow or as fast as you want to go.

weeze
04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Do the clippings clump when wet? I can see where this could be advantageous (though not necessarily safe for the operator?). Just seems to me that getting the clippings out of the cutting area ASAP will assist dispersal and QOC, especially when conditions are less than ideal...IE TALL or wet grass. I've not had to use a 21 much at all since '06...so I'm a bit outdated as well as not up to date. Still have my Toro SR4 in the garage...and she still starts on the 1st or 2nd pull if I gas her up.

i have a craftsman with honda gcv 160 engine. it discharges out the right side. if the grass is tall or thick or wet it clumps up badly and will even shut the mower off from bogging down so bad. the grass will clog up right at the spot where it discharges. it is impossible to mulch when it's like that and even bagging it will bog down pretty bad when it's wet or thick and tall. it will bog down less when bagging though.

the hrx will do much better since it has more power with the gcv 190 engine. it is not dangerous to the operator since the clippings go straight down to the ground no where close to where your feet are walking.

i don't use a pushmower that much either. maybe 1-2hrs a month.

wet grass or really tall grass is the worst thing for 21" mowers. they never do a great job in those conditions. at least i've never used one that did very well in conditions like that. the only 21" mowers i've had have all been discharge out of the right side. i don't think it really matters where it discharges. it's more about the hp of the engine that keeps it from bogging down or clumping as much.

Ridin' Green
04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Trust me Jason, where it discharges at makes a big difference in the discharge quality. The right side models do better side discharging regardless of the condition. If a right side discharge mower is doing poorly in a certain condition, you can bet the others will do noticeably worse. I own both types ( nd have owned others in the past as I said earlier) and have first hand experience with them both under the same conditions.

jimfuel100
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I really wanted the Husky but picked up a Honda today...Model # HRR216K9VKA, the $399 one.

Home depot used my Harbour Freight 20% coupon I printed out so my cost was $320 + 6% md tax. For my usage, I could not justify spending more.

This mower is not for a business...just to trim my 1/2 acre home lot and my 6 acre building lot down the street. There are areas near the creek and portions of a steep hill that I can not safely mow with my Gravely 460.

I played / mowed with the Honda today and think it is going to serve me well. I must admit...the rear discharge is nice, I may never use it, but it is nice. I will mulch 99% of the time, the bag may never be mounted to the mower.

Jim

lawnboy dan
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
just try to go slow up hill. wont happen.

cuttingedge55
04-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Well I haven't been on here lately guys! Sorry been a little busy but I did go buy a new push the next day and have used it numerous times! I can give a full review here's things I have caught any ?s just ask but speed is a problem but at the same time it's not if you are cutting with let's say a walk behind an just hitting sections with a push no its not a problem I have used the toro push before when I didn't work for myself and they had them run to fast for me a fast jog=harder cutting. I have cut some nasty stuff(for the bank) since I got it and it doesn't boh bad at all but if you do small non hilly yards that you have to walk it is slower but if you have hills it pulls them pretty good. I will hold on to it but I plan on also buying a toro. It stripes nicely for a push and it cuts good when wet. Bagging when wet isn't perfect but not terrible. We will see as far as longevity but it hasn't quit on me yet!
Posted via Mobile Device

crazyflyboy30
05-11-2013, 03:48 AM
just try to go slow up hill. wont happen.

I go up very steep hills slow ,fast, stop and start. Would you like to make a bet on it.

jakes mowing
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
i bought a honda hhr with the blade clutch a couple weeks ago. i use it to cut about 3-4 yards weekly and will use it for leaves in the fall. this is an amazing mower! i haven't mulched with it, just bagged. I've cut 3 lawns that were about a foot tall and it didn't bog down at all. and it left a beautiful cut the first time so i didn't have to double cut. the blade clutch is a great feature too even though its $100 more. i would highly recommend this mower. the drive system is great as well.

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Just picked up a demo unit and plan on starting to test it out today and will run all week. Plan on checking mulching, bagging & side discharge in both dry and wet (heavy dew) conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 04:08 PM
These are the initial pictures of the mower. Also shows the blade, which looks a lot like an Oregon G6 blade. It seems to mulch pretty well, but my yard is very dry, although a little long. Also shows the built-in plug in the door that closes off the rear bagging opening.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 04:16 PM
My yard hasn't been mowed for over two weeks, and it's over 4" in length and very dry. The first pictures, I mulched at 3 inches and it did pretty well. Not perfect, but it did good. The second set I was side discharging at about 3.5 inches and it was doing a good job of chopping up the leaves that are starting to fall. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the cut. The mower was easy to handle, the engine runs very smooth, and the 4WD is pretty awesome. For me, the speed is just right and it has some power pulling. I also bagged some, but no pictures of that. It bagged well, and I did not notice very much dust coming from the bag at all. Will use it to cut some thick bermuda, with heavy dew on Friday, so will take some pics of that and my assessment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
09-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the pics and info. How's the discharge regarding pattern, how well it actually comes out the side etc. Also, can you post a pic of the side chute installed?

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 05:02 PM
A couple of shots of the discharge chute installed. It kicks the grass slightly to the rear. It was pretty hard to discern the dispersal pattern since it is so dry here and I wasn't taking off a whole lot of grass. Will know more on Friday since I will be mowing a yard that is watered about 5 days out of 7 and the bermuda will be thick and I always kick out a lot of grass from the ZTR at 3.25 inches. I plan on mowing with the AWD push mower this week and should see some good grass dispersion. Also some pics of the bag where it attaches to the mower, and the controls. The big bar is for operator presence, and the two smaller are for the drive control. You only have to have one of these depressed to engage the drive. I have the handle in the middle of 3 adjustments for height and it is just right for me (5 ft 11 in). It is my understanding that Husky will be bringing out three (3) more versions of this mower next year, including one with BBC.

Ridin' Green
09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Great info and thanks again. The BBC was going to be my next ? since I like that feature after having used a couple older JD's with it for the last several years. We are close to the same height (6'), so the handle position is good to know too. How's the drive system feel and operate? Any glaring glitches or faults that are noticeable right away?

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Great info and thanks again. The BBC was going to be my next ? since I like that feature after having used a couple older JD's with it for the last several years. We are close to the same height (6'), so the handle position is good to know too. How's the drive system feel and operate? Any glaring glitches or faults that are noticeable right away?

One of the new mowers will have a Briggs motor, so it will probably be a little less expensive. The drive system feels really strong. I know that there were some transmission problems initially, but I'm pretty sure those have been fixed under warranty. Long term reliability? Time will tell! I haven't noticed anything yet that gives me any concern. I mowed with it for about an hour, but it is about 98 degrees, so the rest will have to wait for another day. It's not real easy going around small radius areas, but with it's reasonable weight, it's not too bad either. While I was mowing with it, the thought that kept going through my head was, "I really like this mower!" I would not plan on using it in a full commercial operation, but that is more related to the Honda engine than anything else. I used 2 HRX Honda w/GCV190 motor commercially, and they worked well for a year or two, but now they smoke, and just don't have the power I would like.

Ridin' Green
09-09-2013, 05:36 PM
In your limited experience so far with it, does this one seem to have enough power for all types of use, ie; mulching, bagging etc., and for pulling it uphill while doing so?

It would be hard for me to give up on my old JD's since they are in great shape yet, but the AWD feature is of interest to me.

rreyn1812
09-09-2013, 05:46 PM
It does seem to have the power. Now, the "proof in the pudding" would be to have a large hill, with long, wet grass, and see how it does pulling a full bag of wet grass up the hill. I had an Ariens swivel wheel mower with a 6 hp Kawa on it that would do it, and it would pull me after it (about 250 lbs). I may find out on Friday when I cut some heavy, wet grass and fill up the bagger and see how well it does then. Of course with my luck, Friday will probably be the only day this summer we won't have heavy dew. Oh well, will let you know.

Ridin' Green
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Looking forward to your report on it then. What about backwards weight shifting with a full bag? My JD's get kinda light in the front when going uphill with the bag full. It's great for traction, but you have to actually keep the thing from tipping on backwards when going uphill full.

cuttingedge55
09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I think it pulls hills pretty good. Since i bought one heres some suggerstions. Always take the handle that starts the mower off and put it in your truck bed. The fitting of it is not very tight and i lost one already when it was on my trailer and I never got over 50. The durability isnt that great the mulch shoot is kind of weak I have had it replaced also. Other than that I have no real problems. It bags and mulches excellent as long as you keep that blade sharp. It will pull some pretty decent hills. Only thing that I really dont like about it overall is the mow speed. I can hop on my toro wb throw it in 4th and run through a yard 3x as fast as I can mow with the husky. However I have to have it sometimes in smaller fenced yards.

rreyn1812
09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Pulls real strong, even with a full bag of wet grass up a hill. Did well on the mulching of wet grass and side discharge too. Of course, the grass wasn't extremely long; I only cut off about 1/2 inch since the grass isn't growing a lot in this latest dry spell.