PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer -FW loader - Tractor??

mulchingman
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I am looking to open up a mulch yard to sell bulk mulch and soil. What equipment is best for a mulch yard to load materials in pick up beds, landscape trucks, and a few dump trucks? Operating weight capability, tipping point, maneuverability, and price are all considerations. Skid Steer, Front Wheel loaders, or tractors? What does everyone see when they are picking up mulch? Thanks!

alldayrj
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Everyone by me uses payloaders. As big as you can afford. Most have a smaller one too. They lift higher than skids. Only the clowns use skid steers since it takes 20 scoops to load 10 yds and nobody got time for that!
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
01-29-2013, 10:34 PM
My supplier has a Kubota articulated machine with a 1 yard bucket. That way they can make the tight turns between the holding area and the trailers/trucks being loaded.

-Michael

mulchingman
01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
They have 1 yard buckets for Skid Steers. I like the fact that the skid steer can also be used for landscaping purposes.. but like you said the arm length is not as high which scares me. Don't know how well they can load dump trucks.

alldayrj
01-29-2013, 10:39 PM
If mulching is a venture you want to explore i doubt you will be pulling the main loading machine off site to do some landscaping. I'm aware they make 1 yd buckets but thats still 10 scoops. What about loading a 20 or 30 yd truck? Most i see have a 5 yd payloader and a 2 yd
Posted via Mobile Device

AEL
01-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Loader can't be beat for this type of work. Smaller mulch suppliers around here run cat 906 models or Deere 244. Larger ones are running cat 928-938 and Deere 444-544.
Posted via Mobile Device

dstifel
01-30-2013, 12:01 AM
around here they all use LULL lifts. Work awesome for everything highly would recommend it.

knox gsl
01-30-2013, 12:12 AM
My supplier has three loaders, a L20 with a 1.25 yard bucket, a L60 with a 5 yard bucket and I think a L110 with a 10yard high dump bucket. They also have a komatsu SS with a 3/4 yard bucket.

HPI_Savage25
01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
My local supplier has a 1 yard bucket. They also sell by the 13yd roll off container that they deliver themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device

jones68
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Ive seen a few telehandlers but most of the time i see small articulating loaders. Most places have them where they can make a quick bucket change so they can change sizes and switch to forks for pallets. good luck

Marek
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Are you going to be delivering ? If so then you need a truck body that has bins or devider gates. The problem with most loaders is that the buckets are to big to load these bins from the side. With a versa handler you can load from the back to dump into the bins, you can get 1 - 3 yrd buckets and load height is never a problem. When you can run 2 - 3 deliveries at once charging each a delivery fee then you can start to make some money.

deerewashed
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
local places here use articulating fel's with 2 yard buckets. Thats what i would recommend.

mulchingman
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
The tricky part is that I will get A LOT or pick up trucks rolling in for 1/2 yard and 1 yard sales. I will be partnering with a Garden Center. I fear a loader will be too big. I don't think I will need anything over a 1 yard bucket. I will be getting more pick up trucks and landscaping trucks over dumps. I was looking at the Bobcat Skid s770 or s750. But it seems like no one ever gets scooped by a skid. hmm.. I think the above skid could handle the weight and arm length should be tall enough for a dump truck.. thoughts?

mulchingman
01-31-2013, 12:05 AM
Are you going to be delivering ? If so then you need a truck body that has bins or devider gates. The problem with most loaders is that the buckets are to big to load these bins from the side. With a versa handler you can load from the back to dump into the bins, you can get 1 - 3 yrd buckets and load height is never a problem. When you can run 2 - 3 deliveries at once charging each a delivery fee then you can start to make some money.

I will not be delivering. Anything delivered will be delivered by the producer of mulch. I will be more of a satellite.

alldayrj
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
The guys with skid steers always bang into my truck. Needless to say i don't go there any more. Its also harder to see where you're dumping in a skid due to how low you sit. A mason yard by me has a small 1 yd japanese payloader with a power tach so they can switch to a half yard bucket or forks really fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
01-31-2013, 12:15 AM
If that's your target get a mid sized skid with a .75 yard bucket and sell it by the "scoop" most of the retail nurseries around here do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

T Scapes
01-31-2013, 02:38 AM
my supplier has a L90E with a 1yd 2 yd 2.5 and i think a 4yd bucket

turboawd
01-31-2013, 06:01 AM
i'd avoid using a skidsteer. not enough lift and have to get close to vehicle.

use a loader or telehandler.

NEUSWEDE
01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
I would go for a mini loader, Better visabilty and better reach and better visabilty so you don't load it all up on one side. Tractors don't have the reach, used to get loaded at this one place great low price but every time they would run the brush guard in the front into the dump or side box. stopped going there.

good luck

deerewashed
01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
The tricky part is that I will get A LOT or pick up trucks rolling in for 1/2 yard and 1 yard sales. I will be partnering with a Garden Center. I fear a loader will be too big. I don't think I will need anything over a 1 yard bucket. I will be getting more pick up trucks and landscaping trucks over dumps. I was looking at the Bobcat Skid s770 or s750. But it seems like no one ever gets scooped by a skid. hmm.. I think the above skid could handle the weight and arm length should be tall enough for a dump truck.. thoughts?

well then go with a kubota r520 with quick attach, and a 1 yard bucket, and half yard bucket. or a r420 with .75 yard bucket.

AEL
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
It's always better to get something a bit bigger then you need and not use it , then get something that's too small and can't do the job or takes a long time to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snooker182
01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
I worked in a landscape yard for quite a few years, we had an s185 bobcat with a .5 yd bucket for pickups, a deere 244j loader with a 1.5 yd bucket and a quick attach so you could swap to forks for loading and unloading pallets of sod, then we had an old school 74 deere 544 with a 5 yd bucket for loading tandems. lots of fun when your 16 years old and given the opportunity to load trucks all day! Learned quite a lot

T Scapes
01-31-2013, 12:30 PM
I started to looking in a supply yard/ nursery this year to maybe open in 3-4 years. I looking at having a 244J with a .5yd and 1.5yd bucket and forks to move tree's and pallets of material. Then im going with a 544K with a 1yd 2.5yd 3yd buckets to load larger trucks and also the feed the screener for topsoil and fill dirt. then if another machine like a skid or a tractor is there they can help load pickups and small loads helping the 244 do some bigger orders with the 544 or to load trucks and trailers with pallets trees and other materials

stuvecorp
01-31-2013, 02:05 PM

The one rock yard here loads with a 3 yard loader but they have a regular bucket and a special bucket that must be only 4' wide to load small trucks/trailers. It seems to work very well and a regular loader can be found a lot easier and cheaper than the small loaders.