PDA

View Full Version : Which Connector To Use?

MEXANDME
01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
I am working on a job where the existing lights and transformers (all Vista) are going to be re-used for a landscape re-design. All of the wire is being replaced.

Because the existing lights are going to be re-used, there is some large gauge wire involved due to the length of some of the leads.

What connector (or method) would you use to splice (3 ea # 8's together) or (2 ea #8's and 3 #12's together)?

If you use copper split-bolt connectors, how do you waterproof them?

Thanks!!!

ROS

Lite4
01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
For that many large cables, I would recomend the large nightscape connector (large brass barrel with heat shrink tubes.) You can fit the two 8's on one side and the three 12s on the other.

Classic Lighting
01-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Also look at Lightingshrink.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Richie@
01-30-2013, 08:57 AM
I am working on a job where the existing lights and transformers (all Vista) are going to be re-used for a landscape re-design. All of the wire is being replaced.

Because the existing lights are going to be re-used, there is some large gauge wire involved due to the length of some of the leads.

What connector (or method) would you use to splice (3 ea # 8's together) or (2 ea #8's and 3 #12's together)?

If you use copper split-bolt connectors, how do you waterproof them?

Thanks!!!

ROS

If you use Split bolts get some 1 1/2 in wide 3m rubber tape also you can wrap over the rubber tape with a few layers of plastic tape.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Nightscaping ACE connector (Big ACE, ACE, Mini ACE) or Lightingshrink.com (which also offers 3 sizes) Trying to come up with a 'home made' waterproofing system will not serve you or your client very well over time.

MEXANDME
01-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Today I ordered the crimping tool and an initial supply of connectors from Lightingshrink. I understand that the Yellow MAP gas is the best for shrinking.

I welcome any comments/suggestions from any of you guys who are using this method/supplier.

Thanks/regards,

ROS

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
I would recommend you use propane rather than MAP. MAP burns hotter and the last thing you need on those shrink tubes is too much heat. Better to use propane with a low and slow flame, hold the torch about 5-6" away and be patient. You dont want to make the tubes or the wire jacket crispy.

Richie@
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Today I ordered the crimping tool and an initial supply of connectors from Lightingshrink. I understand that the Yellow MAP gas is the best for shrinking.

I welcome any comments/suggestions from any of you guys who are using this method/supplier.

Thanks/regards,

ROS

I might get beat up - but a Heat Gun works fine if you don't mind dragging an extension cord around the property.

Classic Lighting
01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
I might get beat up - but a Heat Gun works fine if you don't mind dragging an extension cord around the property.

Let the beatdown begin:hammerhead:. Talk about cumbersome. I can hear the breaker popping from the amp draw on an extension cord right now.

As James mentioned, use a propane torch. It's easy, convienent, and cheap.

Richie@
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
What ever blows your skirt up......

MEXANDME
01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
James,

The reason I mentioned MAPP gas is because that is what one of the guys with Lightingshrink (Jeremy) suggested.

I very much respect your opinion.......so now I am confused as to which one to use.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

ROS

S&MLL
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
I use a bic lighter
Posted via Mobile Device

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
James,

The reason I mentioned MAPP gas is because that is what one of the guys with Lightingshrink (Jeremy) suggested.

I very much respect your opinion.......so now I am confused as to which one to use.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

ROS

Sure, but a top quality Benzomatic trigger torch and one can of MAPP and one can of Propane. Try both and go with the one you like most!

Jeremy Sviben
02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I use Map gas for Lightingshrink connections..... Others who have posted are right about most most typical heatshrink..... Lightingshrink is tougher and has more gasket oozing material than most.