PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailers

jones68
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Going to look at dump trailers again saturday. I think i have it narrowed down between PJ trailers and Mortiz trailers. Anyone have any input on either of these? or a different brand to look at?

thanks

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=D7

http://www.moritzinternational.com/dump-trailers-dl-series.php

grandview (2006)
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
I like my PJ Trailer

clydebusa
01-30-2013, 04:06 PM
I would get one with the scissor lift. Can't tell if the PJ trailer is a scissor.

jones68
01-30-2013, 06:04 PM
What is the advantage of the scissor lift over a single piston or dual piston set up?

Big Wes
01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Just bought a PJ 14' very nice trailer, well built, scissor type lift.
Highly recommend them, and I've looked at a bunch of them.

KrayzKajun
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
I love my bigtex dual tandem. 25k #gvw.
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/516329DB-2EC9-43EF-9B8B-1F5BBFA454D0-845-000000575CEC9996.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

jones68
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
What is the advantage of the scissor lift over a single piston or dual piston set up?

jones68
01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
i am in the 10'-12' x 10,000-14,000 lbs range would love to have a 25,000 but i dont need all that for what i usually do im mostly brush/debris, mulch, topsoil, stone, leafs, ect. i dont get into much heavy excavation

PerfectEarth
01-31-2013, 10:25 AM
I even prefer a dual cylinder lift over a scissor lift. Sometimes our dump trailer is loaded heavy and a bit uneven from side to side. When you watch the two cylinders lift, they really compensate for the other if one side is weak. It's just a lot more stable IMO

jones68
01-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I have learned with some companies they upgrade to 2 pistons when you make the jump from 10,000 to 12,000. PJ upgrades to the scissor lift so I think im between a 2 piston design and a scissor but i would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both

KrayzKajun
01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Ive put 13yds of topsoil in my trailer and had no issues of flexing or shifting when dumping even at full height. My trailer is a scissor lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

jones68
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
any information on scissor vs dual piston lift set ups?

Rick13
01-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I think a scissor lift with raise the bed higher, than a dual piston lift.

I think on My PJ Dump trailer it was 5 degrees higher with a scissor lift.

Then higher your bed goes, then gravity will make it easier for whatever you are carrying to come out. And then it makes it easier for your load not to get stuck.

jones68
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
thanks what about stability with uneven loads (side to side & front heavy)? what about lifting on a slight grade? i know my father has a single piston and it will start to twist on a grade. also know someone with a single piston bri-mar that wont lift a front heavy load he has to get in and shovel it towards the back

jones68
02-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Anyone scissor vs 2 piston?
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboysLawnCareDelaware
02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I have a Maxum 7x14 dual piston and have no issues, other than getting it stuck in a sink hole with 4 yards of topsoil inside.

-Michael

PlantscapeSolutions
02-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Here's my 20' PJ with twin hydraulics on a scissor lift. It also has electric over hydraulic disc brakes that I added for $3800. 9000 lbs empty and rated for 16K loads but it will hold more with ease since much of the weight ends up going to the truck.

Scissor lifts were engineered for maximum strength and lifting ability. Regular lifts are used by companies too cheap to pay to have their stuff engineered.

jones68
02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
man that is one sweet trailer.... I am leaning towards the PJ D7 trailer 12' with 14k axles. with the scissor lift. It seems to be the best option for my needs

Rick13
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's My PJ Dump Trailer (16 ft). It's nice the End Loader Ramps are underneath the bed, which you can lock up. And I got the extra crossbeams for more strength. I've also had them put 10 heavy duty D rings inside the bed, so I can tie down almost anywhere.

I will have a few new pictures up in a few months.... because on the back of My Dump Trailer I have a hitch so I can carry My Ecolawn Spreader when I'm full of organic compost. They ran power to the rear, so on the carrier it has brake & turn signals & I just plug in My 7 way. It's a really nice set up.....but go it together too late last season to take any pictures (dump trailer in storage for the winter)....but will get them up this Spring.

And I think for the money, PJ Trailers are very well built! Just make sure you get the extra crossbeams....they are well worth it!

And oh yeah, this Spring I will also be adding bed extenders to the sides....and paint them red to make the trailer a little brighter so other drivers see me a little bit better. Because being an all black trailer, people don't always pay attention when their driving. And if they hit me, it will be like hitting a little tank, because this trailer is very heavy!!!

igotdiesel2
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I have a 10' dump trailer with scissor lift. I have noticed at the dump and other places most guys with single or duel pistons want a scissor lift because of the speed that it goes up and the height as well. I was also told that scissor lift trailers do better if the trailer is on uneven ground. I have never done that so I really don't know if that is true or not. I have had 5 tons of gravel on mine and it lifts it with no problem. PJ trailers a great. The fist thing I would tell you is ask them if you could get a deal if you didn't buy the battery that they put in the trailer. I say this because in my experience the marine deep cycle batteries that are in these trailers aren't all they are cracked up to be. I run a forklift style battery in mine. Still 12V with a higher amp output and a deeper drain. I use interstate batteries. I have unloaded 5 tons before and drug out the jumpers to help the guy next to me get his load out of his trailer plenty of times. -Jason

alldayrj
02-12-2013, 06:52 PM
my experience is with dump trucks, but I will go out on a limb and say scissors are better than straight single or dual pistons. way less racking when dumping on soft or unlevel ground, way more power, less strain, higher and faster.

Woodman1
02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Jason - Do you have a forklift style battery hookup on yours like many of the guys (Copacabana and some others) or are you running it just off of the 7 pin connector on the truck?

igotdiesel2
02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't charge mine through my truck. To many issues when I had my Dodge so I just charge mine up via the on board 2amp charger that came with the trailer. I have dumped my trailer fully loaded 7 times on a single charge. I wish I knew the exact name of the type of battery I use. I do know if it was a 1/4" bigger in any direction it would not have fit. Something else I did was replaced the battery cables that were the stock shoe string ones. I went to the 2/0 cable for positive and ground. I will get a picture up if I get over to the trailer tonight. -Jason

Woodman1
02-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Good deal! Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

igotdiesel2
02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Woodman, I just looked at Copa's setup. No, I don't have anything like that on the back of the truck. I like the idea since I have a diesel truck I should just use those 2 massive batteries I have under the hood. I might look into that this year. thanks for the idea. -Jason

Woodman1
02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm setting my new truck up just like that. I think that is the ticket!
Posted via Mobile Device

woodlanda
02-14-2013, 12:31 AM
The scissor lifts are a lot stronger, also go with the torsion bar axles over spring axles, its a lot harder to break a torsion bar over a leaf spring. Another thing to consider depending on what type of truck you have 1/2 3/4 1 ton or cab chassis is how much tongue weight your truck can handle on bumper pull, Many of the trucks out there have hitches rated for 1500 lb tongue weight or less!!!!!! An 7'x12 7x14' or bigger dump trailer is going to weight 2500 - 5000+ lbs empty and when you load it up to 10 000+ lbs the tongue weight will becomes a issue unless you have a proper hitch. I had a class IV 1600 lb tw hitch pull loose from my truck it bent the hitch and it cracked, bent and twisted the truck frame. I have been looking for a replacement hitch and have come across only a few 2500 lb tw hitches without the weight distributing bars. I wish I would have know that dump trailers can be Very tongue heavy. Unless you need room in your truck box I highly recommend a goose neck.

precision8m
02-14-2013, 07:27 AM
I have a 14ft big tex and love it. If you are on the fence about a size, go bigger. As you grow, you will need more space. It's a ball hitch and I've pulled a skid on it, and up to 10k of stone plus the trailer. Scissor lift did great.

jones68
02-14-2013, 08:00 AM
ok the torsion suspension vs spring suspension brings up a whole other thing. I agree that torsion is better for highway pulling but when pulling on uneven terrain i feel the spring would be better. lets use a speed bump for example. lets say your pulling a loaded trailer that totals 10,000 lbs. when you go over the bump all the weight is transferred to the front axle as you go over the weight comes back to both then transferred to the rear then as you come down it goes back to both axles. that is a lot of stress on one axle even for a short amount of time. now with the spring suspension with the equilizer in the middle of the springs it allows the weight to be distributed better over both axles. at least this is my understanding of how it would work. If anybody has anything to chime in that would be great. thanks for all the great info guys