PDA

View Full Version : Bee's attracted to mower?

Toroguy
08-21-2000, 06:20 PM
Bee's are hovering around my WB every time I stop to unload. There were two to four bee's at each stop on my route today, they seemed interested in the air intake area? The engine is air cooled. I know bee's are attracted to anti-freeze, but this is real weird.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have reactions to stings so I would like to find a remedy. Any help is appreciated.

Charles
08-21-2000, 07:59 PM
Bees are not usually agressive unless you hit their nest

Esby
08-21-2000, 08:37 PM
Oh wow!!! I just had this problem this past week. Not kidding-when i stopped and started to unload my mower there were about 20-30 bees buzzing around my exmark W/B. I didn't know what to do, seeing i had just hit a grounds nest a week ago and got stung 12 times i wasn't ready for more. I decided to do the trimming first and wait to see if they left, well they didn't. My final decsion=I started the sucker up and jumped back in my truck, when I returned about a minute later there were still about 7-10 around it but I just hopped on and started cutting. Didn't get stung, so thats good, but then they were all over it again when I loaded it up, and at the next two jobs!?!?! Whats the deal with these bees, i get stung enough the way it is, I dont like it when they want my mower!!!

klite
08-21-2000, 08:51 PM
`Did You guys check under the mower to see if there was a piece of the nest stuck somewhere?

Esby
08-21-2000, 08:59 PM
No, there wasn't, if there was i would have for sure been stung and it is only a once in a while thing, they will be there one time and for a couple jobs and then gone for a while, still curious as to what is going on!!!

cutntrim
08-21-2000, 09:01 PM
They're probably attracted to the fresh cut weeds/grass under and around the deck. Many times we've got yellow jackets buzzing around our equipment, the bed of the truck, or in the cab. They're not interested in stinging you, just in checking out the cool commercial equipment you've got in the trailer. Don't worry about 'em.

Toroguy
08-21-2000, 09:06 PM
I decided to wash the mower today to maybe take the smell or whatever it is away. While washing three bee's hovered around the air intake atop the motor (Briggs). The bee's are not aggressive, and unless they're following me from stop to stop, they are different each location. I will chech under the deck in the AM, but it seems lke a hostile place to nest.

Im wondering if they are attracted to the heat or grease? When I unoad I do it quickly and the bee's do not follow.

plymouthvaliant73
08-21-2000, 09:33 PM
A customer had this problem with yellow jacket hornets all over her car everytime she came home and parked the car in the driveway.

Turned out the car had been parked somewhere under trees infested with aphids. The honeydew had dripped all over the car.

The yellow jackets were feeding on the sweet sticky honeydew coating the car.

BRL
08-22-2000, 12:16 AM
I've always noticed bees checking out the mowers & trimmers while running them. Not as many as you guys are talking about at once though, & not when they were not running. I always thought the "buzz" of the equipment was communicating with them in some way. Now I know they're just impressed with my stuff :) Thanks cutntrim.

Premo Services
08-22-2000, 12:31 AM
i believe it is oil,grease they are attracted to, had a hydro cap leaking last year& they seemed to be around it when it was on my trailer. as long as i keep it clean of grease oil, i don`t notice them.

lawndog
08-22-2000, 12:47 AM
Never had problems with bees,always have
women attracted to my JD wb.Hard to shoo
them away.

Twotoros
08-22-2000, 01:56 AM
I have always had bees buzz my mowers . I always thought it was the scent of the fresh cuy grass . It has moisture in it and could be used for nests.
Good question .

MOW ED
08-22-2000, 08:59 AM
I have the same thing happen but I cut manu properties that have fruit trees and inevitably I run over fallen apples, plums, pineapples :) (in Wisconsin) The bees are attracted to the sugars. I don't want to jinx myself but its been 5 years and no bee or hornet stings. Yet. Good Luck.

excel25
08-22-2000, 09:23 AM
It's funny how fast they get there. I see tons of them around the dumpsters.

AB Lawn Care
08-22-2000, 04:47 PM
My suggestion is to really give your mower a scrub down.Wash it majorly!Do you cut any propertys with fruit trees??????If so a fruit may have landed on your air intake and splattered some juice.Or if there where alot on the lawn the blades could have made some freshly sliced fruit spray.Agian try to wash it down and see if that is the problem.Hope this helps!

Runner
08-22-2000, 07:44 PM
After the bath, give it a fresh dousing with baby powder!:)

Eric ELM
08-22-2000, 08:55 PM
I wash my mowers each weekend and don't have the bee or yellow jacket problem. I mow around fruit trees, land mines, the works. We have Purple Martins that follow us all day getting bugs and stuff that about hit us all the time.

If you get stung, a good thing to remember is, take a small wad of tobacco and get it wet with spit and hold it on the sting (stings) and it draws the stinger out, keeps it from swelling, and takes the pain away. I got stunk by a red hornet in southern Illinois one time and a guy down there told me to do this, it works.

bob
08-22-2000, 09:18 PM
I've noticed bee's around my lawn mowers before as well as my motorcycle(usually at stop lights). Maybe it's the grass smell or the buzz of the engine. I haven't been stung for a long time!

Toroguy
08-22-2000, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I washed it real good. The bees were back again today, not as bad, but present.

I didnt try the baby powder though.

I do many lawns with apple trees, and apples have fallen on Newtons head onto the ground. Some apples hit the blades and many are squashed by the tires.

I will try the Chew stinger extractor next time I am bitten Eric.

BRL
08-23-2000, 01:01 AM
Thanks Eric. Now I have to take up smoking so I can feel prepared for my days out in the field battling the bees ;)

excel25
08-23-2000, 01:48 AM
BRL you don't have to smoke them, Just chew em!:D
and try not to swallow.

MOW ED
08-23-2000, 08:03 AM
Eric doesn't get stung because that Chopper is so fast the bees can't catch him. But I think he had a few run into his teeth while smiling. Mayby next years model will come with a windshield.

Eric ELM
08-23-2000, 09:08 AM
I carry a tooth brush to keep the bugs off my teeth. :D