PDA

View Full Version : Gas to cost less this year, get ready for lowballing

lawncuttinfoo
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/pf/2013/01/22/pay-less-2013/2.html

We all know higher prices weed out the chaff. Bring on higher gas prices please!

Landrus2
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
The people looking for quality work don't look at that:waving:

nightshutter
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
People looking for the lowest price end up being the biggest pain. I've only lowered my price once and will never do it again. when I raised his praise the next year he was still a pain. They will never change. Some customers want quality..

CreativeLawncareSolutions
02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
I actually prefer the customers who don't care about quality. Not to say their yard won't look good...it obviously will. The mowers do all the work. We just point them in a straight line.

williams lcm
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Gas is to high. I pay more for gas and 10 to 15% of it is ethenoal. The price keeps going up and we are not getting 100% true gas. It should be below $2.00 dollars a gallon if fillers are added.

Valk
02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I count 5 Orlando locations that have ethanol-free gas in 89 or 90 octane:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

You'll likely have surrounding suburbs listed at this website as well.

hi_speedreed
02-01-2013, 05:28 PM
so a 5.5% decrease in average price is gonna bring the lowballers out, lol. It does not matter what the price of gas is. People w/o a job will be willing to do this work cheap because it is easy to get into. They can have the customers only concerned about price and work themselves to death. There are three types of customers. 1 wants the cheapest no matter how pitiful the quality because they perceive low price as value. 2 want the most expensive no matter what, they perceive high price as quality. 3 want value for their dollar. They want a good deal but are willing to pay more for a quality product. You can get cheap jeans at Walmart but they don't last very long. You can spend hundreds on one pair of jeans but you are only buying the name/prestige. You can buy a quality pair for 2-3 times the cost of the Walmart jeans that last longer so you get a better value for your $. The 3rd customer is the only one I pursue.

Groomer
02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Really there are 300 types of customers, if not more. Thanks for the tutorial and the jean example, professor speedread. Just messin' wit ya!

MOturkey
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I heard on the news today at noon, that gas has increased by around 20 cents per gallon in the past couple of weeks, and the experts are saying it will likely go another 50 cents higher by summer. That would make the national average close to $4 per gallon. How is that cheaper?

32vld
02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
The price of gas is never going to effect low ballers.

mowerbrad
02-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Every year, about this this time of year, someone takes it upon themselves to warn others that "lowballers are coming". I believe two years ago, a member on here dubbed that particular year as "the year of the lowballer". But nevertheless, people are always worried about lowballers...unemployment rises, lowballers will be coming...gas prices go down, lowballers will be coming...Jim has his 7th kid, lowballers will be coming.

No matter what, this industry will always have to deal with lowballers. Let's face facts here, we work in an industry that doesn't really require much skill or investment to be able to start up. If you have a lawn mower, trimmer and a rake, you can start a lawn mowing business...grab yourself a shovel and a wheelbarrow and you are now a "landscape contractor". Realistically, you could train a monkey to mow a lawn...so why shouldn't "Joe Blow" take his lawn mower and Jeep and make a few bucks mowing lawns around town?

We are always going to have to deal with lowballers, its just the way this industry is.

ed2hess
02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Gas is to high. I pay more for gas and 10 to 15% of it is ethenoal. The price keeps going up and we are not getting 100% true gas. It should be below $2.00 dollars a gallon if fillers are added.
Fillers actually cost more unfortunately.

herler
02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Yes, for that reason I planned on pricing straight low as dang near balls I can handle the year throughout, thanks for the heads up.

GaryBK
02-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Lowballers always come...and I notice they always go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscraper1
02-02-2013, 08:23 AM
I actually prefer the customers who don't care about quality. Not to say their yard won't look good...it obviously will. The mowers do all the work. We just point them in a straight line.

If I had that attitude, I would lose customers very quickly. I keep customers because of the work, other than the grass cutting. Weeding, pruning, edging, lawn care, cleanups, tree pruning, and the ability to do just about any landscape prokect they need done.

This is what separates the grass cutters from the landscapers. If all you are is a grass cutter, then the competition is fierce.

KS_Grasscutter
02-02-2013, 08:29 AM
I have a feeling that article is false. It predicts 3.43 a gallon, we're already at 3.33 here. I am betting we see $4.00 this summer.

Landscraper1
02-02-2013, 08:37 AM

We all know higher prices weed out the chaff. Bring on higher gas prices please!

I have no idea where this comes from. Why would lower gas prices bring out low ballers? If anything the oppisite would be closer to the reality'

A good business man will know his expenses and when the price of fuel goes up, his prices would have to go up to stay profitable. The low ballers don't know thier expenses. They price to just get the job, no matter what.

So, if the price of fuel goes up, the low ballers have a better chance to get the job. Sure they might be out of business in a few years or be content with just having enough to get by. Either way, all of our prices get affected by what they do.

02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
If I had that attitude, I would lose customers very quickly. I keep customers because of the work, other than the grass cutting. Weeding, pruning, edging, lawn care, cleanups, tree pruning, and the ability to do just about any landscape prokect they need done.

This is what separates the grass cutters from the landscapers. If all you are is a grass cutter, then the competition is fierce.

Take a look at my website and see for yourself if I care about quality or not.

www.creativelawncaresolutions.com

It's not an "attitude." The people that just want their lawn mowed once a week are so much easier to deal with then the people looking over your work with a fine tooth comb.

Also, edging and pruning isn't rocket science. We all do all of those things. The machines do all the work. We just point them in the right direction.

orangemower
02-02-2013, 09:18 AM

I see why your name has those last three letters on it.

wegomow
02-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Gas prices are not something I can change or control. This passage comes to mind....
God, give me grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Landscraper1
02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Take a look at my website and see for yourself if I care about quality or not.

www.creativelawncaresolutions.com

It's not an "attitude." The people that just want their lawn mowed once a week are so much easier to deal with then the people looking over your work with a fine tooth comb.

Also, edging and pruning isn't rocket science. We all do all of those things. The machines do all the work. We just point them in the right direction.

I didn't mean to offend you. I wasn't saying that you didn't care about quality.

What I am trying to say is, that the customers that don't care and are easy to deal with, are the ones that low ballers can easily take from you. I have many customers that are a pain and those customers will think twice before they go for a lower price.

Example:
I have a commercial account that is very picky about the landscaping around their property. My contract is $23k a year for just maintenance. The manager resigned a 3yr contract with our company. After signing he showed me another price from a company for $17k. If this customer only cared about straight lines, he would have jumped on the other landscaper.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Gas prices will probably get back to where they were at last summer if not higher.

grandview (2006)
02-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Gone up 16 cents in the last week here.almost 4 bucks again.

wegomow
02-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Gas prices are on the way up, not down.

Darryl G
02-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Yeah, the lowballers are coming here and we'll tell them exactly what they need to know to steal our customers.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-04-2013, 08:04 AM
My price is my price PERIOD! If they don't like it, then I tell them to have a nice day! When they try and talk you down from the get go, that immediately throws up a red flag for me! If they are going to try to talk you down from the start, then imagine what they might be like during the course of the year? No thank you! I have a business to run and a family to support! I don't have time for that. Having someone talk you down is taking food out if your kids mouth so to speak! (I hope I worded that phrase right lol).
Posted via Mobile Device

H & M Yard Improvements
02-04-2013, 08:27 AM

This coming from the liberal media who supports a president with a massive "spending problem" and a huge increase in national debt? I'm sorry, I don't mean to bring politics into this BUT when the prices are already at the threshold that the media says its going to be at and then say its going to be cheaper, that throws a red flag out there! I don't believe one word the media says! There's no more honesty in journalism!

With that being said, lowballers will come and go! Year in and year out! I've accepted that its part of the business!
Posted via Mobile Device

02-04-2013, 08:34 AM
This coming from the liberal media who supports a president with a massive "spending problem" and a huge increase in national debt? I'm sorry, I don't mean to bring politics into this BUT when the prices are already at the threshold that the media says its going to be at and then say its going to be cheaper, that throws a red flag out there! I don't believe one word the media says! There's no more honesty in journalism!

With that being said, lowballers will come and go! Year in and year out! I've accepted that its part of the business!
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you see that 12 year old thread I bumped complaining about lowballers and $2/gallon gas?

Landscraper1
02-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the lowballers are coming here and we'll tell them exactly what they need to know to steal our customers.

What secret are they going to learn?? Price rediculasly low to get the job?? Isn't that what they do anyway?? :hammerhead:

Darryl G
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
What secret are they going to learn?? Price rediculasly low to get the job?? Isn't that what they do anyway?? :hammerhead:

shhhhhhhhhhhh...they're listening

herler
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Lowballing is very easy if you keep your overhead down.
Hint, these are not the air conditioning's temperature settings.

H & M Yard Improvements
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Did you see that 12 year old thread I bumped complaining about lowballers and $2/gallon gas?
No I didn't see it! Got a link for it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscraper1
02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Lowballing is very easy if you keep your overhead down.

The low ballers don't usually know thier overhead, that's the problem. We have a LC in our area that has been low balling for the past 3 years. I have heard from suppliers that he has been cut off, from non payment. It is soon to catch up with him. I know of one supply yard that he owes thousands.:nono:

Sure he might go under but, thier will be another to take his place.

orangemower
02-04-2013, 10:06 PM
The low ballers don't usually know their overhead, that's the problem. We have a LC in our area that has been low balling for the past 3 years. I have heard from suppliers that he has been cut off, from non payment. It is soon to catch up with him. I know of one supply yard that he owes thousands.:nono:

Sure he might go under but, their will be another to take his place.

WOW. I pay as I go with the local place. I do have a account I can run a tab on but I never let it get past one job. Right now I owe him just over $150 and I can't wait to pay him this week.

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 12:05 AM
I see more coming from foreclosure cuttings then anything. I even had a few apply.

The companies are cutting there pay as they find more people willing to do it. The guy told me he was getting $23 up to a acre, down from $28 last year. These arent manicured yards either.

You get a guy like this that figures they can add $10 to that price and be good.

dKoester
02-05-2013, 12:49 AM
I love hearing "Well they just stopped showing up."

SECTLANDSCAPING
02-05-2013, 01:06 AM
I love hearing "Well they just stopped showing up."

Yup, or you get the cheapskate after giving them a price say I'm not paying more then this. Thats what the last guy charged. Well see you later then.

I had a Inn call me 3xs last year. 2 guys stopped showing and the 3rd was arrested. I told the lady people dont show because there not getting paid or they werent charging enough. After giving her the price she said what I wrote above. When she called me the 3rd time I just laughed.

XYZLawnPros
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Gas prices two and a half weeks ago:

89 octane 10% ethanol = 3.01

91 octane NO ETHANOL = 3.29

As of today February 6th gas prices:

89 octane 10% ethanol = 3.49

91 octane NO ETHANOL = 3.90