PDA

View Full Version : Time to talk tool boxes

Deori
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey guys,
So I got my new (to me) truck and I'm debating on getting a new tool box for it. I've got a 10 year old Delta on my current work truck that still looks ok, but it's got a few dings in it and the latch gives me some trouble.

Debating on swapping that in to the new truck or buying a new one. I saw the Kobalt ones at Lowes for around $300. Anyone have any feedback on Kobalt truck boxes? Any other brands you recommend? My Delta held up ok and I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just want to hear the board's opinion. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

alldayrj
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Kobalt is krap. I got mine off craigslist for 100 and the keys are twisting off. Plus the box is like tinfoil. I feel like i could pull it open if i had to.
The plus side is i had a pallet of cement bags slide and smash it and i wasnt that pissed
Posted via Mobile Device

Sprinkler Buddy
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
I would use the one you have already, it's in good shape and it's for work. Have you hit the latch with a little PB Blaster, might work like new again?

Deori
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Yeah looking online for reviews people say that the Kobalt is kind of flimsy. My main issue with the latch is that the little bolts that hold it on have worked their way loose so that the latch keeps sliding partially out of the box making it a pain to open and close. I tried to cut the bolts out so that I could replace them but they're so short that it's difficult to get a tool in there. Finally got a tiny pair of bolt cutters in there hoping to cut the ends and slide them out but it didn't quite work haha. I'm sure that may be hard to visualize without a picture but it's turned in to a big pain in the rear! I'm really not sure how to remove them at this point. May try to drill them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

nnusskern
02-02-2013, 01:25 AM
If I were you I would look for a used weather guard box on craigslist in my area there are plenty that sell for $150-300 that typically retail for over $500.
Posted via Mobile Device

stihljixxer
02-02-2013, 07:56 AM
I agree with nnusskern weather guard is a high quality toolbox. To be honest I started using a job box for a everyday toolbox in the truck, doesn't look as sleek but is tough and secure.

Landrus2
02-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I bought a few so long a go that the logo fell out I'm gonna try find out who makes them:waving:

GQLL
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I have a weather guard in my truck had it for the last 6 years and has held up great. It has the normal dents and dings but were throwing tools in and out of the truck. The seal on the lid keeps everything dry. My vote is weather guard followed by a delta. Avoid the cheap kobalts and tractor supply co box they just won't last.

noahb195
02-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I like cam-locker. They are sweet. Cheaper than weatherguard but more than UWS. Really high quality tool box.

gallihergreen
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I have a weather guard in my truck had it for the last 6 years and has held up great. It has the normal dents and dings but were throwing tools in and out of the truck. The seal on the lid keeps everything dry. My vote is weather guard followed by a delta. Avoid the cheap kobalts and tractor supply co box they just won't last.

I agree, spend the extra coin and get a Weather-Guard. Last toolbox you'll ever need.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deori
02-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Another question. I used self-tapping screws to secure my current toolbox into my old truck. Is there any good way of securing a toolbox without drilling into the sides? I read on another forum where one guy said that he uses double sided 3m tape and that it holds it so securely that he needs to use a floor jack to remove it. The idea of taping it makes me a little nervous though.
Posted via Mobile Device

noahb195
02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Another question. I used self-tapping screws to secure my current toolbox into my old truck. Is there any good way of securing a toolbox without drilling into the sides? I read on another forum where one guy said that he uses double sided 3m tape and that it holds it so securely that he needs to use a floor jack to remove it. The idea of taping it makes me a little nervous though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldnt do it. A guy that i know. He taped his and were riding around the woods and hit a bump and we had the tailgate down. Needless to say his toobox about hit the ground.

Junior M
02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
They make toolbox mounting kits and they make a bolt that is the shape of a "J" that works well..

If I was gonna buy a toolbox for my personal truck it'd be a Cam-locker. Very quality tool box. Price tag is to high to work out of though, in my opinion.

UWS makes a quality box with out the large price tag. I've got three.

And the only way I'll buy a weatherguard toolbox is if I need some kind of specialty box (underbody boxes, etc) They are just to overpriced to beat up and throw things at.

metro36
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Weather guard and delta pro make good toolboxes. The j hooks work well for installation. My current box is attached into the stake front stake pockets using the hardware from my cab guard. It makes for a very solid mount.

smitty's lawncare
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
kobalt is junk. mine has been broken into numerous times because the latches are so light duty. my keys have twisted off and its just a p.o.s stay away from kobalt. weatherguard is the way to go

jones68
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
weather guard spend the money once it will last a long time

KrayzKajun
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
No clue what brand my tool box is, it came with my transfer tank when i bought it on craigslist. Tool box works great, fits over the l portion of my tank. I would love to get a Jobox to put in bed my truck and one on my gooseneck trailer.

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/onekrayzeekajun/2A887EEE-0F0D-4E92-86B5-48AE68CD7F3B-6541-0000052BE9070988.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device