PDA

View Full Version : BBB Who uses them?

cpllawncare
02-02-2013, 02:28 AM
I know most on here think the BBB is a ripoff, so why do almost all the DIY construction plumbers electricians HVAC and every other service business use them? I think every roofing company here has a BBB magnet on their truck. What makes the landscaping industry so different?

KWLawnSnow
02-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Just means your backed by BBB, doesn't really mean we should all go out tomorrow and sign up, although I do indeed think our customer count would increase.. its probably worth looking into if you can afford the logo & backing. I deal with Angieslist. Works just fine for me. Doesn't back me but drives customers to me based by reviews

cpllawncare
02-02-2013, 04:33 AM
No I know we shouldn't run out and join I was just wondering why hardly anybody in our industry does? or at least advertises that they do, I never see any BBB logo's on landscape vehicles, but do on every other service company out there.

kandalawncaremgr
02-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Just did a search on the Chicago bbb site and not one lawn care co or landscape co. That's crazy, roofers, lawyers, hvac, and car dealers seem to buy into it. I'm gonna submit my application Monday to see what the fees are. Does anyone have any ideas what the fees are?

kandalawncaremgr
02-02-2013, 05:28 AM
Btw I'm not running out to join, just curious what the fees are and the only way to find out is to submit an application.

cpllawncare
02-02-2013, 06:19 AM
The BBB isn't meant to drive customers to you but rather a mediation medium, I use AL also works very well for us but have been contacted by the BBB to join but didn't have the funds to do it, seems like it would be a good way to diffrentiate yourself.

kandalawncaremgr
02-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I know its not for advertising . Lol. Its just another tool to show your a professional at what you do. Outta the 30 companies in my city I'm the only one in the city's chamber of commerce. I get a lot of business pointed in my direction. Its like everyone has there niche. The seniors all seem to go there and get my name. I guess its an old school thing as most of my younger clients find me from the computer. Unfortunately I had zero luck from al but tons of service from cl. But gotta keep advertising. The key to a successful business. Just like another ribbon on your dress blues. (Military) . Its a recognizable symbol and a feeling of trust and good achievement.

Will P.C.
02-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I think the BBB is a shell of what it used to be party due to the internet and other 'similar' services you see at the bottom of web pages or websites like scam advisors, etc

Yeah, it might not bring in a flock of customers, but it will probably bring in enough money to at the very least justify the cost.

It also helps protects your business against scammers which is important when you are working on a 40K deal

wbw
02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Belonging to the BBB will not bring you one more mowing customer. It will only cost you money. It is possible that on a $10,000 install it could help ease the customers mind but it won't go as far as a personal reference.

Roofers etc. use the BBB to add legitimacy to their sales pitch. They are selling a high dollar product and they don't know the customer. Lawn mowing is different. Roofer screws up and he is nowhere to be found the homeowner is out a lot of money. You screw up and the grass grows back next week. He is out nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
I have been dealing with them in just the past two weeks. I'm a strong Angie's Lister and I wanted to check out another tool online that would give us some more "umph" in the legitimacy game among landscapers... So I filled out the online Louisville BBB stuff (it's almost like a pre-registration.) My business was already listed but "NR" or not-rated.

They then called me a few times, finally spoke to them for a while. They finished "confirming" me with some simple questions and I got my "A" grade.... NOW, this does not mean I am truly a BBB "Accredited" business. THAT'S where the sales pitches start. 455.00 for the year to be in their free old-school grocery store publication you see at the front door, the BBB decals and logo use, they make you a website (no thanks)... and you get "accredited." So I spent a few e-mails and phone calls with them last week, discussing it and being polite. But I was honest. I didn't at all think the cost was worth it. They are really trying to fight their "old timer" reputation but I told her that I hated that the BB seems to be COMPLAINT-driven, whereas Angie's List is a more positive review-styled source. I don't think she liked it that I kept mentioning Angie's List! LOL

Anyway, turned it down. For now.... all I really wanted was the decal and logo usage and I think we can get by just fine without paying 455.00 per year. I found their sales techniques very typical. Long conversations about what they can offer (which isn't much in reality) and how 'good' they are in the community and providing people info, blah blah blah... and THEN they get to the pricing 45 minutes later.

cpllawncare
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
PE, I'm like you I'm a huge AL'r also, just thought about adding a lil umph like yourself but just couldn't seem to decide if it was really worth it my gut was telling me no guess I should listen! I'm sure they HATE AL, LOL

Dugann
02-06-2013, 08:05 AM
BBB is IMO over rated. They call once a year, and basically you buy your rating. I think they told me like $250 a year for their "backing". I feel like that it might put some customers mind at ease as someone said already but I feel it will not gain any new customers from it.

cpllawncare
02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
BBB is IMO over rated. They call once a year, and basically you buy your rating. I think they told me like $250 a year for their "backing". I feel like that it might put some customers mind at ease as someone said already but I feel it will not gain any new customers from it.

Again, the BBB is not about gaining customers, but rather a credential that says "Your operating a legit business" I know when they called me before they would let me join (I didn't) they verified my business license, insurance and pesticide license. I haven't joined but I think at some point it would help more than it would hurt especially for marketing purposes

tonygreek
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Again, the BBB is not about gaining customers, but rather a credential that says "Your operating a legit business" I know when they called me before they would let me join (I didn't) they verified my business license, insurance and pesticide license. I haven't joined but I think at some point it would help more than it would hurt especially for marketing purposes
Isn't that really the same thing? If you are a BBB member, then you use whatever weight that's worth in your sales process. To me, any mediation they provide is a waaaaaaaaaay distant second to the perceived, or real, value of their membership.

Will P.C.
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Isn't that really the same thing? If you are a BBB member, then you use whatever weight that's worth in your sales process. To me, any mediation they provide is a waaaaaaaaaay distant second to the perceived, or real, value of their membership.

This is a good point and have been on both sides of the fence in which they were super helpful, fair, thorough, and really investigated the facts. Like a mentioned earlier, they are a big help when a customer tries to extort or scam you when they call the BBB with bullshit wanting big time money.

ELS Landscape
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
My company is A+ but I am not accredited. Much of their data on me, address and such is now out of date.

So it is not 100% true that you buy the ratings.

I might join just to update my listing. IE my name change and website change.

cpllawncare
02-07-2013, 12:02 AM

I agree I guess that's why I haven't joined, I can't justify the so called value, I did look up how many other companies are in my area that are using them and it's a very very small number, so I was thinking it would be a good way to stand out from the hundreds of others. Maybe next year I'll add them in the mix.