PDA

View Full Version : Skid buckets with bolt on teeth bars vs a dedicated tooth bucket

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Any pros or cons? I have a straight bucket with bolt on cutting edge and I'm told you can't use a tooth bar. I can buy another bucket with the bolt on tooth bar for 500 on craigslist but i would rather not drag around another bucket.
Are the the teeth as durable on the bars?
Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

Construct'O
02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a Deere bucket with a bolt on cutting edge,and we use a bolt on tooth bar.Teeth are grooved so they slid over the cutting edge,the two bolts hold it to the side of the bucket.Has held up good so far.

So bar fit on my bucket with the bolt on edge.Might need to drill holes in the side of the bucket to bolt bar too it.That might what they meant,by not working?Mine already had them.

Wanted to be able to remove teeth fast in case needed smooth edge.Good for hard digging.Haven't ever taken them off since i have had it.

Might consider a Razor cutting edge.Good luck

swanny
02-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Any pros or cons? I have a straight bucket with bolt on cutting edge and I'm told you can't use a tooth bar. I can buy another bucket with the bolt on tooth bar for 500 on craigslist but i would rather not drag around another bucket.
Are the the teeth as durable on the bars?
Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device

They make tooth bars to fit buckets with a bolt on cutting edge....they are pretty massive pieces of steel. These bars also make the bucket lip a bit stronger with the added steel. Around here they run about $550 at a dealer, and less than half that amount hardly used.

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I called quick attach and they said they didn't. Do you know a manufacturer that does?
I just don't see that bar holding up with two bolts for 7 teeth when a standard tooth bucket would have 14 bolts. (I know the lip holds the bar too but what about if the cutting edge is worn down?
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
I bought one that fits over the bolt on cutting edge. It was a Bradco 84" low profile bucket. The tooth portion is very heavy duty and digs very well. Not as easy getting it on and off as you would think it would be at least mine isnt. Usually I get an extended lip bucket. This one is not and yet I have good view to the cutting edge and it easier dumping into tall trucks. I like the bucket. It was just under 2K for bucket, bolt on smooth cutting edge and tooth bar.

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
So bradco makes the tooth bar too?
How long does it take getting it on and off?
My bucket is original and came with the gehl.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
02-02-2013, 12:22 PM
The tooth bar is also Bradco. It was mounted on the bucket when I bought it. It took 20 minutes to pry it off.

swanny
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I called quick attach and they said they didn't. Do you know a manufacturer that does?
I just don't see that bar holding up with two bolts for 7 teeth when a standard tooth bucket would have 14 bolts. (I know the lip holds the bar too but what about if the cutting edge is worn down?
Posted via Mobile Device

Each tooth shank has a separate 'finger' that goes underneath the cutting edge. The ears that mount to the side of the bucket generally are elongated to adjust for a worn cutting edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/59-5-Toothbar-Toothbars-for-Skid-Steers-Tractor-Loader-Buckets-FREE-SHIPPING-/111007721990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d8936a06

That auction specifies the toothbar (60") to weigh approx. 60 pounds, but the ones I've had (72"ers) usually weigh around 90 to 100 pounds.

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I havent found a pic of the bradco one yet but every other bar i see would not work with my bucket. I'm thinking for 500 i would have a whole other bucket with teeth and just skip the hassle of bolting it on and off. My laziness would prevent me installing/uninstalling and I know those bolts would be gone as soon as the bar is off
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
You might consider getting a Rezloh edge. I have a bucket with that cutting edge. I like it. You can dig and yet still grade with it. The only issue is pickup the last of the material off of asphalt or pavement requires a little more hand shoveling. Google Rezloh and see what you think.

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
That does look like a sweet compromise. I would just be concerned ripping up the street and peoples driveways etc. plus i like the raking action of the big teeth for roots and rocks etc
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
The Rezloh goes a great job scarifying the ground. The only downside is scraping off of improved surfaces. When I first got one, it was hot out and I was picking dirt off the street, and drove the bucket right into the asphalt. If you keep the bucket flat it works good, just dont angle up too much at least when your on asphalt.

alldayrj
02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Its probably awesome for grading for concrete slabs. I don't like how much dirt traditional tooth buckets disturb but at the same time its frustrating trying to cut in with a straight blade
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
02-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I have a Rezloh edge on a bucket and must not be using it right but am not impressed at all with it?

Construct'O
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
I have a Rezloh edge on a bucket and must not be using it right but am not impressed at all with it?

Stu what's the problems,that you are having!!!!!!!!!!!

stuvecorp
02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Stu what's the problems,that you are having!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried the rezloh bucket stripping black dirt and then did the same thing with the other bucket(buckets are the same dimensions) and it did not seem to be any easier or quicker? I have used it on some grading and loading projects and again it didn't seem to be anything special, to me the 'hype' for the rezloh doesn't seem justified? I would rather just have a regular bolt on cutting edge.

If someone wanted it I would be more that happy to sell it...:waving:

ksss
02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
The benefit of the edge is that you can dig into hard pack soil much easier than typical cutting edge. The additional benefit is that you can back drag with the same bucket and leave it smooth which you cant do wiith a tooth bucket. You can also scarifiy the ground with the Rezloh which you obviously cant with a solid cutting edge. I think the edge is a big advantage if your in hard ground a lot, which I am. If your in loamy topsoil thta is easy digging, you likely would not see the benefit.

stuvecorp
02-06-2013, 06:58 PM
The benefit of the edge is that you can dig into hard pack soil much easier than typical cutting edge. The additional benefit is that you can back drag with the same bucket and leave it smooth which you cant do wiith a tooth bucket. You can also scarifiy the ground with the Rezloh which you obviously cant with a solid cutting edge. I think the edge is a big advantage if your in hard ground a lot, which I am. If your in loamy topsoil thta is easy digging, you likely would not see the benefit.

That would make sense. For the most part it's sandy soil here.

I will say it does look mean on the machine...

KTM
02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
I went with A Rezloh when i went with a CTL. With the weight and cost of these Bradco buckets i wanted to stick with one bucket. Edge is costly, but wears welll and is a good compromise